HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Mighty Ducks/Ducks players who will get their number retired?

Old
08-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

vCash: 500
Giggy had an outstanding career here (10 years I believe) including two trips to the finals with a Conn Smythe and a Cup. The epitome of a great team player. If he isn't deserving of retiring his number, nobody here is. I love Teemu but honestly, the Ducks don't win a cup or make the finals twice without Giggy.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Ted Brautigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Giggy had an outstanding career here (10 years I believe) including two trips to the finals with a Conn Smythe and a Cup. The epitome of a great team player. If he isn't deserving of retiring his number, nobody here is. I love Teemu but honestly, the Ducks don't win a cup or make the finals twice without Giggy.
Are you really saying that Giggy is bigger thing for the Ducks, than Teemu?

Ted Brautigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Disgruntled Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brautigan View Post
No, he's saying that both runs, Giguere just placed the team on his back and absolutely carried them. 2003, Teemu wasn't even here, and in 2007, Giguere was probably our #1 star, with Teemu and Nieds tied for 2nd.

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
I'm not sure what "bigger thing" means but I'm not arguing who is better or more popular. I am telling you that without Giggy the Ducks never make the finals once let alone twice with one cup win to show for it. He literally carried that team to the finals in 03. That wouldn't have happened with just anybody in goal and neither would the cup win in 07. The man had a fabulous career as a Duck and deserves to have his number retired as much or more than anybody. That's my only point.

Edit: And for the argument that 35 is a popular goaltender's number...well...there are appx 97 other numbers available for our next great goaltender to wear. They don't have to wear #35.

Last edited by Eddie Shack: 08-11-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old
08-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Ted Brautigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Goat View Post
No, he's saying that both runs, Giguere just placed the team on his back and absolutely carried them. 2003, Teemu wasn't even here, and in 2007, Giguere was probably our #1 star, with Teemu and Nieds tied for 2nd.
Yes, that's true. but he's also saying that "if Giguere isn't deserving of retiring his number, nobody here is". I think that you must do something more than play 10 season and bring one cup, that you get your shirt up in the rafters.

Old
08-11-2012, 02:03 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Yes, that's true. but he's also saying that "if Giguere isn't deserving of retiring his number, nobody here is". I think that you must do something more than play 10 season and bring one cup, that you get your shirt up in the rafters.
I'm guessing you weren't around here then. I'm not going to argue with you. Giggy is as deserving as anybody in Duck history to have his number retired. If you don't agree, fine. Say so and move on. Don't try and pick a fight.

Old
08-11-2012, 02:43 AM
Ted Brautigan

Quote:
I'm guessing you weren't around here then. I'm not going to argue with you. Giggy is as deserving as anybody in Duck history to have his number retired. If you don't agree, fine. Say so and move on. Don't try and pick a fight.
Ok. you are right and noboby can disagree. Hah. If you cant discuss about that, fine. What if Canadiens retires numbers same way? Only thing you must do is play 10 season and bring the Cup. Selanne is one and only who earns that, because he is the best player in Dycks history. Giguere was a great Duck, but not greatest, and only the greatest deserve retiring.

Last edited by Ted Brautigan: 08-11-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old
08-11-2012, 05:00 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Giggy is as deserving as anybody in Duck history to have his number retired..
Nope. If I had to pick the MVP of Ducks history, it's Teemu by far.

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Ok. you are right and noboby can disagree. Hah. If you cant discuss about that, fine. What if Canadiens retires numbers same way? Only thing you must do is play 10 season and bring the Cup. Selanne is one and only who earns that, because he is the best player in Dycks history. Giguere was a great Duck, but not greatest, and only the greatest deserve retiring.
I hope you are not trying to say that only one - the best in history deserves to retire his jersey.

No matter who takes advantage, #35 and #8 should be BOTH retired.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:39 AM
Ted Brautigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
I hope you are not trying to say that only one - the best in history deserves to retire his jersey.

No matter who takes advantage, #35 and #8 should be BOTH retired.
No, but Selanne is player who must be retired first, for the first era of the Ducks. When Selanne retires, then maybe Getz, if he bring more Cups and show more class. One player per one era. Selanne is same era than Jiggy.

Old
08-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

I disagree then. Good teams have more than one great player at a time.

PS
Good luck for Vancouver in deciding wether to retire #22 or #33

Old
08-11-2012, 11:04 AM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

Quote:
So assuming no-one else for the next 100 years of Ducks hockey is as good as Teemu, they shall not have their number retired either?

Quote:
No, but Selanne is player who must be retired first, for the first era of the Ducks. When Selanne retires, then maybe Getz, if he bring more Cups and show more class. One player per one era. Selanne is same era than Jiggy.
Sorry but this is just silly. One player per era? You do know that it's likely two top quality players will be on a team for extended amount of time at the same time, right?

Look at the records Jiggy has for the franchise:
- Most wins
- Most shutouts
- Most single season wins
- Most single season shutouts
- Most goaltender games
- Most goaltender minutes

And his career with the Ducks:
Regular season
447 Games
25,645 Minutes

206 Wins
163 Losses
59 OT

32 Shutouts

2.47 GAA
.914 SV%

Playoff Record
52 Games
3,167 Minutes

33 Wins
17 Losses

6 Shutouts

2.08 GAA
.925 SV%

2003 Conn Smythe
2007 Stanley Cup
2009 All-Star Game

Could of had Vezina as well, got very unlucky not to win it in 2003.

All in all, that's a pretty fantastic career with the Ducks, hell those numbers would be even better if you take out the terrible time he had in 2009/10 before being traded. About the only franchise goaltending record he doesn't have for the franchise is single season games.

We were also lucky enough to be graced with one of the best if not the best goaltending performance in playoff history in 2003.

While I agree that Teemu should be the first number up, Jiggy is 100% deserving to have his number retired, playing in the same era as one of the best ever European players shouldn't be held against him. Jiggy was an amazing goaltender in his prime, Jiggy was just as important to this franchise as Teemu, with his on ice performances IMO.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post

...While I agree that Teemu should be the first number up, Jiggy is 100% deserving to have his number retired, playing in the same era as one of the best ever European players shouldn't be held against him. Jiggy was an amazing goaltender in his prime, Jiggy was just as important to this franchise as Teemu, with his on ice performances IMO.
This pretty much sums it up. We are talking about a team honor/recognition. This is not about qualifications for the HHoF.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Quote:
Glad you asked. The following players all had their number retired by the Canadiens. They were all teammates from the 74-75 season through the 78-79 season. All but Gainey were there from 72 on. Most overlapped even more years.

Guy Lafleur
Yvan Cournoyer
Larry Robinson
Ken Dryden
Serge Savard
Bob Gainey

So why don't you take your silly "one per era" argument over to the Habs board and see how far it gets.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Corey Perry*

Of course Giguere's going to have all of the records when the Ducks have only had 3 long term starting goaltenders. :p

I personally believe that only hall of famers should get their number retired, and Giggy was great, but not THAT great.

I don't think Niedermayer should get his number retired either, because he wasn't here that long.

I think Detroit is a good example of how to retire numbers. Only retire numbers of hall of famers who played for your team for a good chunk of their career. Guys like Yzerman, Howe, Sawchuk, Lindsay, etc... Getzlaf could be our Yzerman light.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:47 PM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Bunky View Post
Of course Giguere's going to have all of the records when the Ducks have only had 3 long term starting goaltenders. :p

I personally believe that only hall of famers should get their number retired, and Giggy was great, but not THAT great.

I don't think Niedermayer should get his number retired either, because he wasn't here that long.

I think Detroit is a good example of how to retire numbers. Only retire numbers of hall of famers who played for your team for a good chunk of their career. Guys like Yzerman, Howe, Sawchuk, Lindsay, etc... Getzlaf could be our Yzerman light.
And of course Teemu will have the offensive records as he's the longest serving forward, works both ways.

And as said above, it's not a hall of fame, it's about honoring players who have made an outstanding contribution over a long period of time to the franchise, people like Teemu, Jiggy are exactly those sort of people.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Maybe Giggy is gone for to long so some fans forget about him? Not sure. Imo it`s silly that there can even be a discussion whether we should or should not retire #35

Old
08-11-2012, 03:08 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Jiggy isn't even a debate IMO.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:53 PM
DarthYenik

I agree, Jiggy was a key figure in the great moments in Ducks history. No Duck should wear #35 again.

I still want to see some sort of memorial for Rusty. Not a number retirement, but maybe a plaque, or something to remember him.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Paul4587

Teemu is a far better player and had a far better career than Jiggy but Jiggy had a bigger role in our success than Teemu was. He carried us on his back in the '03 run (which Teemu wasn't here for) and was the biggest reason why we got past Detroit on our way to the cup in '07. Teemu's OT goal in game 5 was the biggest goal in franchise history but it was Giguere that stood on his head that whole game while we were getting dominated, keeping the game close.

Teemu should be first, then Giguere then maybe Niedermayer.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:04 PM
justheducks
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
In this order...

#9 (you have to retire his number. If it wasn't for Kariya, you may not have Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry or an Anaheim team period. He brought hockey to Anaheim. Yes he left in a terrible way but lets try and remember what he DID for the Ducks while there.)

For short term time with Ducks you have to throw in #77 Oates. The best passer to ever wear a Ducks uniform.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
For short term time with Ducks you have to throw in #77 Oates. The best passer to ever wear a Ducks uniform.
How about we just retire everybody's number?

Old
08-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
And of course Teemu will have the offensive records as he's the longest serving forward, works both ways.

And as said above, it's not a hall of fame, it's about honoring players who have made an outstanding contribution over a long period of time to the franchise, people like Teemu, Jiggy are exactly those sort of people.
Do you know what? After looking at how Giguere's stats compare to others all time, he has a pretty good case. But only him and Teemu should get their numbers retired.

On a side note, did you know that Jonas Hiller has the 8th highest save percentage of all time? (For guys with at least 200+ games)

Old
08-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Paul4587

That's because Hiller came into the league in an era where save % has never been higher. Not to mention, it's a pretty flawed stat also.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:45 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
That's because Hiller came into the league in an era where save % has never been higher. Not to mention, it's a pretty flawed stat also.
It's still the best stat to compare goaltenders. Of course not over different decades, but the current SV% list is way better to rank goalies, than the W-list, or anything else.

Last edited by swissexpert: 08-12-2012 at 07:02 AM.
swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote