HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XV): The Non-Frenzy Edition

Old
08-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
This basically describes why Bettman must be fired.

Quote:
@HLundqvist30 ~ The @NHL says they won’t play past Sept 15th under current deal. Apparently they don’t like the deal they designed. #CBA #nhlpa2012

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:56 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I would assume most north american hockey players would probably pick leagues like swedish elite league over the KHL, if there is a lockout.

Does the Elite league have the money to offer that would be better then the NHL's current proposal? I don't know, I do know the khl does.

I also wonder, since the league can contract teams, can teams like Toronto, NY, Montreal just say, "we are tired of funding teams like Phoenix, we are leaving the nhl and forming our own league"? I would think there is something in place to prevent them from doing that but wonder how it is put in place?

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
I guess that means when Lundqvist's contract is up, he'll continue to play under the terms of his previous contract. Good news for us.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Disappointed the League is talking about a lockout before we even give our @NHLPA counterproposal.
https://twitter.com/BrandonPrust8/st...03609229070336

Quote:
"Look, I always try to be optimistic about these things," Daly said. "I truly believe a deal can be done, but it will require a lot of work. We've got a lot of issues still open. We haven't even heard from (the union) on the economic issues and we have a month, so it will require hard work and commitment on both sides. But certainly the NHL is committed and we hope the players are committed as well."
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/82...-week-meetings

A lot of work for Bettman and Daly to convince the big market teams to share more revenue. It seems most of them or all of those teams don't want to share more money. That's a problem.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:05 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I would assume most north american hockey players would probably pick leagues like swedish elite league over the KHL, if there is a lockout.
And those that do go to the KHL, let's hope they travel by bus.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
agreed.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Agreed.

Guys like Yogan and Miller MAY prove ready, or they may not be close. We don't know yet. You KNOW Brule can provide stability on the bottom lines. Sign him up, and if a kid ends up forcing him out, you get rid of Gilbert.
Too many guys coming in and playing will hurt team chemistry. Players grow used to a few guys, then all the sudden when there is a better alternative, and players are ready to come up and come back from suspension, they'll have to adjust to playing with the new guys too. That's just too much of a turn around. Part of being a team is growing together as a group. When you're adding like 3-4 new players come the deadline, that'll likely hurt how the team responds.

Again, i'm assuming that some of Brule, Hailey, Pyatt, Rupp, Halpern, and Asham will not cut it for the entirety of the season, while at least one of Bourque, Yogan, Miller, and Fast will shine in the AHL.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Terrible. That's scary to think about.

Scarier to think about is the lack of necessary medical equipment in some KHL arena's... RIP Cherry.

Old
08-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Too many guys coming in and playing will hurt team chemistry. Players grow used to a few guys, then all the sudden when there is a better alternative, and players are ready to come up and come back from suspension, they'll have to adjust to playing with the new guys too. That's just too much of a turn around. Part of being a team is growing together as a group. When you're adding like 3-4 new players come the deadline, that'll likely hurt how the team responds.

Again, i'm assuming that some of Brule, Hailey, Pyatt, Rupp, Halpern, and Asham will not cut it for the entirety of the season, while at least one of Bourque, Yogan, Miller, and Fast will shine in the AHL.
That's a pretty lofty assumption. Bourque can't stay healthy, Fast will be in Sweden for another year, and Miller could possibly go back to Plymouth. Really only leaves Yogan who has had one healthy year of hockey since he's been drafted.

Besides, just a player from inside the organization can be just as detrimental to chemistry as a free agent can be.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:13 PM
nsvoyageurs

FROM SPECTOR:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-drags-on.html

nsvoyageurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
I know a lot of stuff about the 2004-05 NBA season. Please don't put me through that again.

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:21 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
posts like this are exactly why fans are so misinformed. gary bettman is just doing his job. he is employed by the owners and trying to get what the 30 (ok 29, since the NHL owns the yotes), want. he is a figure and speaking head for the owners and the public face.

bettman will never be fired, and rightfully so. he is doing a good job for the owners.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
That's a pretty lofty assumption. Bourque can't stay healthy, Fast will be in Sweden for another year, and Miller could possibly go back to Plymouth. Really only leaves Yogan who has had one healthy year of hockey since he's been drafted.

Besides, just a player from inside the organization can be just as detrimental to chemistry as a free agent can be.
Bourque is the least likely to make the team in my opinion. Fast is coming to the AHL this season. Miller most likely is as well.

Old
08-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Not as likely though. Rookies are usually mentored by players and taken under their wings, unless they have the wrong mindset. Connections are built that way. I.E Hagelin and Kreider last year. Cally when Drury was around. Dubi with Gomer. List goes on.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Bourque is the least likely to make the team in my opinion. Fast is coming to the AHL this season. Miller most likely is as well.
Where are you getting "Fasth is coming to the AHL?" Everything I have heard and read indicates that he'll be playing this season with HV71. We might see Lindberg, but Fasth signed himself a nice two year extension and is likely to stay until 2013.

Bourque has mush for brains. I'd bet he's out of the organization a year or two from now.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:20 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Where are you getting "Fasth is coming to the AHL?" Everything I have heard and read indicates that he'll be playing this season with HV71. We might see Lindberg, but Fasth signed himself a nice two year extension and is likely to stay until 2013.

Bourque has mush for brains. I'd bet he's out of the organization a year or two from now.
Fast is playing out his contract this regular season with HV-71 in Sweden. He will not report to NYR camp, whenever that starts. If he has a good year, he will most likely be on the pre-squad for the Swedish WC team. If he does not make this team, which would be a troubling sign, he MIGHT be enticed to come over and play some games for CT at the end ofthe year, but I find this highly unlikely. Expect to see Fast at NYR camp 2013.

On Lindberg I have heard mixed reports, saying both he will and will not be present at camp. I personally do not think he will be at NYR camp this year, esp with a lockout lingering, but this is just my personal opinion based on a gut feeling.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:37 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Philly is apparently vying for Bouwmeester, if that goes down we might get to see this 6 times per season:

JayBo might just be the softest 6'4'' 215 lb player in the history of the league.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:50 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

The New York Rangers are the top team in the East going into the season. You have to expect that with the results from last season as well as going out and getting Rick Nash without breaking the young core of Rangers coming up and improving.

Stepan and McDonagh are going to need to take another step forward in development. Same with Del Zotto. Hagelin has to grow from his struggles ending last season and Kreider has to come in a produce well enough (15-20 goals and around 40 points).

The 6th D spot has to be solved. Bickel isn't good enough come playoffs. Sauer or someone from the minors (McIlrath) or a trade will have to solidify that spot.

Young players will also have to step up as I don't know how the bottom 6 will perform. At some point players like JT Miller, Christian Thomas, or Andrew Yogan are going to have to be able to play a bottom 6 role or another trade or 2 will have to be made. I'll have to see a lot from Rupp and Asham to make it so this team doesn't have to get some more people for the bottom 6.

Even with the possible issues this team has, the rest of the pieces in place, and the pieces other teams are missing tells me the Rangers are at the top, until some team comes and takes it from them.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:24 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
The New York Rangers are the top team in the East going into the season. You have to expect that with the results from last season as well as going out and getting Rick Nash without breaking the young core of Rangers coming up and improving.

Stepan and McDonagh are going to need to take another step forward in development. Same with Del Zotto. Hagelin has to grow from his struggles ending last season and Kreider has to come in a produce well enough (15-20 goals and around 40 points).

The 6th D spot has to be solved. Bickel isn't good enough come playoffs. Sauer or someone from the minors (McIlrath) or a trade will have to solidify that spot.

Young players will also have to step up as I don't know how the bottom 6 will perform. At some point players like JT Miller, Christian Thomas, or Andrew Yogan are going to have to be able to play a bottom 6 role or another trade or 2 will have to be made. I'll have to see a lot from Rupp and Asham to make it so this team doesn't have to get some more people for the bottom 6.

Even with the possible issues this team has, the rest of the pieces in place, and the pieces other teams are missing tells me the Rangers are at the top, until some team comes and takes it from them.
How do you know what Bickel will be by playoffs?

He's 25 years old, he's incapable of improving?

He was fine though the regular season. He didn't prevent the team from winning 50+ games. He didn't get much of a chance to play in the playoffs.

Look at Bickel and compare him to the other 29 teams' 6th defensemen.

Through 50 games he averaged 10 minutes, was not detrimental at all, and played/fought for his teammates.

Until Sauer comes back, if ever, Bickel is fine.

They do need another defenseman, but only because they only have 6. Not because Bickel can't fill a role.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:12 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
How do you know what Bickel will be by playoffs?

He's 25 years old, he's incapable of improving?

He was fine though the regular season. He didn't prevent the team from winning 50+ games. He didn't get much of a chance to play in the playoffs.

Look at Bickel and compare him to the other 29 teams' 6th defensemen.

Through 50 games he averaged 10 minutes, was not detrimental at all, and played/fought for his teammates.

Until Sauer comes back, if ever, Bickel is fine.

They do need another defenseman, but only because they only have 6. Not because Bickel can't fill a role.
I'd disagree, and I think Tortarella disagrees too.

Bickel played 5 minutes in the triple OT game against the Caps. 5 MINUTES.

I'm sorry, but if that isn't a clear cut indicator of how Bickel is viewed by Torts, I don't know what to tell you.

Team needs a more reliable 6th defender. I don't mind him back there as a 7th, or being brought in against teams like Philly and so on, but not as a full-time regular 6th defender.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post

I'm sorry, but if that isn't a clear cut indicator of how Bickel is viewed by Torts, I don't know what to tell you.
We know what Tortorella's opinion of him is. That doesn't mean he's right. I think it's insane to dress someone that you're afraid to play. Either play him or play someone else.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:

Team needs a more reliable 6th defender. I don't mind him back there as a 7th, or being brought in against teams like Philly and so on, but not as a full-time regular 6th defender.
You're high. It was three minutes

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

It was 3:46. I think he pretty much sat from the second period of regulation time.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:

you seem to not realize WHY bickel only played 4 minutes in the triple OT game.

first period-- and even the second to a lesser extent there were a TON of icings keeping the top 4 defense out there for extended shifts limiting the early ice time that our 3rd pairing defense would normally get.

towards the end of regulation the game was too tight to risk throwing a cold 6th defenseman out there. had it ended in regulation it wouldn't have been nearly as big of a problem only playing bickel 5 minutes, but because it extended into one OT, two OT, and eventually three OT it looks 100 percent worse.

BUT you don't throw a player who hasn't played in >40 minutes out there in overtime in a playoff game where 1 mistake costs you the entire season. you just don't. could torts have thrown him out as a forward? sure, but even that would be more risky than the lineup being used as he was cold and not a natural forward.

bickel is not the best defenseman, but he can handle 10-15 minutes during the regular season. even if he plays zero in the playoffs we're still solid on defense. biggest issue is that tortorella doesn't trust him, but hopefully during the regular season the kid can handle himself and earn time. (honestly i'm more worried about the fact that he is playing with del zotto)

there's a good chance that sauer is ready at some point, and if not mcilrath will most likely be available as a late-season call-up. we cannot fully rely on either, but bickel for half the season does not worry me half as much as you guys make it sound if one of those two is ready. hopefully we get something to replace him, but if not it isn't the end of the world... even if bickel plays 10-15m a night during the regular season and zero minutes in the playoffs we'll be fine

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
bickel is not the best defenseman, but he can handle 10-15 minutes during the regular season. even if he plays zero in the playoffs we're still solid on defense. biggest issue is that tortorella doesn't trust him, but hopefully during the regular season the kid can handle himself and earn time. (honestly i'm more worried about the fact that he is playing with del zotto)
When you say "zero in the playoffs", I hope you mean that he is replaced by another D-man rather than a repeat of last post-season. Running 5 D was probably the 2nd biggest flaw in our game after lack of scoring.