HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Our team right now (lineups etc).

Old
08-10-2012, 02:55 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Emmerton did so little with the time he was given. Abdelkader is a much more established hockey player. Sorry but I don't feel there is room for Nyquist right now either. He had one goal in 18 games with some #1 minutes, Smith had just as many points in 4 less games. I like the kid but he'll have to beat out Brunner who has the + of being right handed.

Bertuzzi was our 6th highest in points last season, why would he get put on the 4th line? He's truly the only LW strong enough to play on his opposite wing.

Samuelsson is totally underrated right now. He's an upgrade to Hudler I will bet on it. After getting snubbed from the olympics in '10 he went on a rampage, playing the best hockey of his life with the Sedins. I know he fell off some but he's got the potential to do really good.

If Brunner is as good as we hope then he takes Bertuzzi's spot. We shall see pretty soon!

Franzen- Datsyuk- Bertuzzi/Brunner
Filppula- Z- Samuelsson
Cleary- Helm- Bertuzzi/Brunner
Miller- Abdelkader- Tootoo

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:47 AM
Xvash2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Emmerton did so little with the time he was given. Abdelkader is a much more established hockey player. Sorry but I don't feel there is room for Nyquist right now either. He had one goal in 18 games with some #1 minutes, Smith had just as many points in 4 less games. I like the kid but he'll have to beat out Brunner who has the + of being right handed.
Uhh, picking and choosing your stats there. Nyquist is a playmaker, always has been. He never topped 20 goals at Maine, but put up huge assist numbers. He had 7 points in 18 games yes , but his ATOI averaged around ten and a half minutes, whereas Franzen averaged 17-20.

So looking at this purely statistically, Nyquist put up .3188888 repeating points per game, or 0.0365 points per minute that he played. What happens if we double Nyquist's ice time? Say we give him 20 minutes a game in the top six, that works out to .73 points per game (on par with Franzen), or 60 points in an 82 game season, not bad for a rookie with 18 NHL games under his belt. Of course statistics isn't the be all end all, but to say that his one goal in 18 games is the reason he isn't NHL ready is simply terrible logic and Nyquist did not get first line minutes at all. As for your note on Brendan Smith, he also got more ice time and powerplay time as well.

Last edited by Xvash2: 08-10-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:48 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Thanks Xvash2 I do feel what you are saying. Do you think (as Jaster brought up the reasoning) that Gus will be better at camp than Brunner? I watched some highlights of Brunner and got excited. The guy is 4 years older than Nyquist and quite the goal scorer it appears. Who's place does Gus take? May be Miller on the LW? Will it come down to Brunner vs. Nyquist?

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Thanks Xvash2 I do feel what you are saying. Do you think (as Jaster brought up the reasoning) that Gus will be better at camp than Brunner? I watched some highlights of Brunner and got excited. The guy is 4 years older than Nyquist and quite the goal scorer it appears. Who's place does Gus take? May be Miller on the LW? Will it come down to Brunner vs. Nyquist?
What I'd like to see is a cut/trade of one of Miller, Mursak or Emmerton. Whatever two are left are your 13th and 14th forwards. Then you start Brunner and Nyquist every day. All of this is assuming Eaves isn't healthy enough to play. If he is, add him to the above list of guys to cut/trade.

Unfortunately, it's probably more likely to come down to Brunner vs Nyquist.

08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Unfortunately, it's probably more likely to come down to Brunner vs Nyquist.
Yes, and they are fighting for the Hudler spot.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Xvash2

Quote:
Nyquist has the experience on the North American ice. Brunner may need some time to adjust. But really we won't know until training camp. Right now we're just throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:33 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Emmerton did so little with the time he was given.
What time was that? 5 minutes? What can you expect him to do? You cant even get warmed up in 5 minutes.

What i would have loved:

Franzen - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Filppula - Zetterberg - Tatar
Bertuzzi - Helm - Cleary
Tootoo - Andersson - Brunner
Emmerton

i really am pissed still at the Samuelsson signing.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:44 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

^The railing against Emmerton is a little much on here. He's not a horrible player, he doesn't make a ton of mistakes. He's good defensively too. It's just offensively he's very plain. Not bad, just plain. Every now and again he'll pull a pretty sick move, but as of right now he's just vanilla. And I think we get antsy and impatient when we can't specifically label a player based on his traits. We expect more. The more I think about it for the 4th line, if I had to pick between offensively skilled and mistake prone, or plain offensively and prone to very few mistakes, I'd pick the latter. I do think we can do better but he just gets such a hard time from us.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:51 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanMasher View Post
^The railing against Emmerton is a little much on here. He's not a horrible player, he doesn't make a ton of mistakes. He's good defensively too. It's just offensively he's very plain. Not bad, just plain. Every now and again he'll pull a pretty sick move, but as of right now he's just vanilla. And I think we get antsy and impatient when we can't specifically label a player based on his traits. We expect more. The more I think about it for the 4th line, if I had to pick between offensively skilled and mistake prone, or plain offensively and prone to very few mistakes, I'd pick the latter. I do think we can do better but he just gets such a hard time from us.
I agree with you. The amount of hate for guys like Emmerton on here is unreal. It's like we all expected him to become Datsyuk II and when he didn't, we turned on them.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:12 PM
zetterberg40

exactly. give the kid a solid 12-13 minutes and see what he can do. Like i said, he looked like a young Ethan Moreau when i saw him a few years ago several times. Makes a good play on both sides of the puck but has no wow factor. I almost don't really know what they saw in the kid because he doesnt do any one thing great but he's a solid player in the bottom 6 mold.

Old
08-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Bench
Realgud!

It's just we're used to having some of the best bottom 6 guys in the league during the glory days. When you go from Draper being your bottom roleplayer to Emmerton, it's a little hard to get excited.

But when I compare Emmerton to other 4th liners around the league, his upside is actually higher than most. He's not the kind of player that gives you too much to be excited about, but honestly, I don't notice him in most games that much. And that means he's doing his job most of the time. If a 4th liner is dazzling you, then he's probably a top 6er in disguise

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Where's homer in everyones line-ups?

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....ng_on_dec.html

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:54 PM
zetterberg40

Homer isnt coming back. He signed up to coach his kids team, not something that is easily retractable for what team his kid plays on.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:00 AM
jroc86

Emmerton bashing isnt an accurate statement - its just honesty in regards to the very underwhelming package he brings at the NHL level. Small, not particularly (certainly not akin to Helm or Drapes) fast, lacks significant offensive upside, and no abrasiveness whatsoever. He get outmuscled on faceoffs regularly and isnt particulary great at helping out his Dmen down low in his own zone which results in prolonged period getting hemmed in when his lines out there.

Dats - Zett - Filp - Helm - Adbelkader -Anderson/Sheahan all are guys id rather see at center this year before Emmerton.

I dont even think many teams would take his as a +1 in a trade to put an offer over the top. Hes a small fringe NHL player that likely will never be given a fair shake so I think its safe to say hes destined where most of his ilk go ... Europe.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:23 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
If a 4th liner is dazzling you, then he's probably a top 6er in disguise
Likewise, it's never a good thing if you're screaming at them for being boneheads.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Macoun

Filppula-Zetterberg- Franzen

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Brunner

Cleary-Helm-Samuelsson

Miller-Abdelkader-Tootoo

I dislike Bertuzzi

Kronwall-Quincey

Bouwmester-White

Smith-Ericsson

Macoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
Emmerton bashing isnt an accurate statement - its just honesty in regards to the very underwhelming package he brings at the NHL level. Small, not particularly (certainly not akin to Helm or Drapes) fast, lacks significant offensive upside, and no abrasiveness whatsoever. He get outmuscled on faceoffs regularly and isnt particulary great at helping out his Dmen down low in his own zone which results in prolonged period getting hemmed in when his lines out there.

Dats - Zett - Filp - Helm - Adbelkader -Anderson/Sheahan all are guys id rather see at center this year before Emmerton.

I dont even think many teams would take his as a +1 in a trade to put an offer over the top. Hes a small fringe NHL player that likely will never be given a fair shake so I think its safe to say hes destined where most of his ilk go ... Europe.
What I'm thinking now, Emmerton would be waived and he centers Griffins at next season. I can't believe he could be lost on waivers. and he is useless in NHL.

Old
08-11-2012, 08:40 AM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

If Abdelkader remains unsigned for some reason, and Emmerton is waived after camp, I'd like to see this. Spread the center wealth.

Franzen - Zetterberg - Samuelsson
Nyquist - Datsyuk - Brunner
Bertuzzi - Filppula - Cleary
Miller - Helm - Tootoo
Mursak

D is whatever. Hopefully they sign Roszival, maybe Kubina or Clark. I was a fan of acquiring JBo before Calgary fans decided to change their minds on him overnight. Tatar + pick sounded good for both sides, now it appears Holmgren drove up the market for everybody. For all the flak Holland gets around here for standing pat, I'd rather him do that than overpay for the wrong piece. Just sign a UFA stopgap until we get the right guy.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:49 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macoun View Post
Filppula-Zetterberg- Franzen

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Brunner

Cleary-Helm-Samuelsson

Miller-Abdelkader-Tootoo

I dislike Bertuzzi

Kronwall-Quincey

Bouwmester-White

Smith-Ericsson
Amazing! We acquire Bouwmeester without giving up Filppula, Franzen, Nyquist or Smith! How?

Old
08-11-2012, 08:54 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuick View Post
Tatar + pick sounded good for both sides, now it appears Holmgren drove up the market for everybody.
That's what Holmgren does best.

Old
08-11-2012, 09:19 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
That's what Holmgren does best.
Holmgren has just lost Pronger, Carle, and Meszaros in a short span. He has Coburn and is lucky he traded to get Schenn - who *might* cover some of that. He needs an all-around guy like JBo... or Weber.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:20 AM
zetterberg40

i like tatar but when you got kids like jarns, frk, jurco and pulks sitting around.. its safe to say one of them will be dealt and IMHO he's got the lowest ceiling.

Old
08-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Amazing! We acquire Bouwmeester without giving up Filppula, Franzen, Nyquist or Smith! How?
The cap drops 10 million and Flames have to dump salary out for a 7th rounder.

Old
08-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
i like tatar but when you got kids like jarns, frk, jurco and pulks sitting around.. its safe to say one of them will be dealt and IMHO he's got the lowest ceiling.
If we are considering trading him, wait for a one season. Next season he will be first time a 1st liner at AHL-level. More ice-time and more production, quite for sure. That will add his value, but I see him taking Cleary's roster spot after that year. If there's a trade possibility where we need to add him, then go. But his value isn't very great right now.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Macoun

Quote:
Magic!! No Soup for you

Macoun is offline   Reply With Quote