HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Summer Olympics - Worst Games Ever Edition - Part II

Old
08-10-2012, 01:18 PM
AvantiCanada*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Simple solution, go around to elementary schools and pluck out kids with bodies built for swimming. Send them to luxurious private schools where they study during the day and then practice swimming every single night. Push them hard and make them understand their only goal in life is to win gold. If they train every day for 12 years they will be ready for the Olympics for sure.
Canada is not China and that bs wont fly here.

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:28 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Canadian Matt Gentry qualifies for the bronze medal match at 74kg in men's freestyle wrestling. Gonna be a tough challenge against Denis Tsargush of Russia, but hopefully he can pull it off. Match should be taking place just after 11:30 Pacific, I think.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Don't know what you guys see in Hope Solo. Alex Morgan is hotter IMO
Ewww, to me they all look like men/walk like men/spit like men.
Did you guys catch the Japanese women when they were getting their medals?

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Southern Mail
Harbard

@MAKAVELI - nice work on your Team Norway ... er, Team USA pics in Part I of this thread.

The Matheson goal in the 92nd minute against France helped salve the wounds from the previous game.

According to coach Herdman: "And Christine had the quote that’s been inspiring us all: You can’t be great until you’ve achieved great things. And getting a medal today was that great thing.”

I would be happy to see Sinclair carry our flag in the closing ceremonies.

Southern Mail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
too much competition in swimming... With the dominance of Americans and the chinese in the pool, you see countries like australia struggle even with massive investment of funds and infrastructure

if canada wants to excel in a particular area, it should be rowing / kayaking... We already have a lot of talent, historical interest and success, and it's not a sport monopolised by the big sporting powers
We should follow the Australian model.

Here are the details: https://assets.imgstg.com/assets/con...%20pathway.pdf

Its a program called pathway for swimmers.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:07 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
Canada is not China and that bs wont fly here.
Why is that BS?

Australia does it through the Australian Institute of Sport:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral...itute_of_Sport

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:07 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Anyone watch Korea VS Japan soccer game? It was like Canucks VS Hawks games

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:20 PM
JBIZ14

If I wasn't happily married I'd be all about Jonelle Filigno from Canada...love long dark hair.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
I'm still partial to Kara Lang, but I digress.
Totally. Canada could've used her hotness somehow. Distract the ref or something.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Totally. Canada could've used her hotness somehow. Distract the ref or something.
Yep, absolutely. Too bad she tore up her knees. My wife looks at me sideways every time she's on TV. I usually do a better job of hiding it when I find another woman attractive.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:54 AM
metric

So...the slogan for 2012 London apparently is Own the [bottom of the] Podium

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:51 AM
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
So...the slogan for 2012 London apparently is Own the [bottom of the] Podium
Lol...
That's a good one.

I really enjoyed the games this year.
Even though a lot of the favorites fell through or did not reach expectations, there were a lot of breakthroughs in unexpected places, which is always nice to see.
Also, I am just glad many of the Canadian athletes gave it their all and competed with grace and humility.
They had been really classy and showed true sportsmanship, which is how the IOC promotes itself.
Winning gold is nice, but for me, the process is also very important.
Winning at all cost can be cruel, and in some cases, down right tragic.
I think a lot of them had done it the right way.

As long as they reach that target of 12th place, then the Canadian program will continue to get funding, and maybe even see an increase.
It would be nice to get more golds, but right now, I just want them to get more funding and be able to train more athletes.
London is a building block for the future.

nameless1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:05 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
Lol...
That's a good one.

I really enjoyed the games this year.
Even though a lot of the favorites fell through or did not reach expectations, there were a lot of breakthroughs in unexpected places, which is always nice to see.
Also, I am just glad many of the Canadian athletes gave it their all and competed with grace and humility.
They had been really classy and showed true sportsmanship, which is how the IOC promotes itself.
Winning gold is nice, but for me, the process is also very important.
Winning at all cost can be cruel, and in some cases, down right tragic.
I think a lot of them had done it the right way.

As long as they reach that target of 12th place, then the Canadian program will continue to get funding, and maybe even see an increase.
It would be nice to get more golds, but right now, I just want them to get more funding and be able to train more athletes.
London is a building block for the future.
If you go by how the IOC ranks it, most golds, tiebreaker to silver, second tiebreaker to bronze, we're 33rd right now. If we can pull off a 2nd gold in mountain biking, we could finish 24th. Emphasizing on medal count is just putting a positive spin on a disappointing Olympics for Canada. We didn't have any problem shoving the gold medal count in the American's faces during Vancouver 2010. 1976 was the last time team Canada took home less than 3 golds. I'm not disappointed in the individual athlete's for 'only' winning bronze or silver, I'm just disappointed in Canada's overall gold medal haul.

Last edited by Hammer79: 08-11-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:31 AM
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
If you go by how the IOC ranks it, most golds, tiebreaker to silver, second tiebreaker to bronze, we're 33rd right now. If we can pull off a 2nd gold in mountain biking, we could finish 24th. Emphasizing on medal count is just putting a positive spin on a disappointing Olympics for Canada.
Yeah, but most publications say that Canada will win about 4 golds prior to the games.
I think that is also approximately what Own the Podium expects.
Canada is never a summer games powerhouse.

The Olympics was not that disappointing.
Some of the big names failed, but there were a lot of unexpected medals, along with many top 5 and top 10 finishes.
Compared to the Australians, with the complete collapse of their swimming program, I think Canada made out rather well.
Canada also got the results with a lot less resources, which is commendable and an achievement in itself.

It is the 1st year that Own the Podium really focused on the summer games.
London was always an experiment, and a building block for the future.
For a "rebuilding" program, I am ok with the way they use the total medal instead of the gold medals.
As long as they can claim that they reach the goal of a top-12 finish, hopefully that will lead to continue or even more funding.

nameless1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:52 AM
DJOpus

Apart from the disqualifications for not trying (and in some cases reversals) and the poor officiating/reffing, the fact that none of our media outlets have been tracking medals by golds, then silvers, then bronzes has been highly dissapointing to me. We were concerned about golds during the winter games and we should be focused on it in the summer games. If it drops us in the standings, oh well, real is real.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
Yeah, but most publications say that Canada will win about 4 golds prior to the games.
I think that is also approximately what Own the Podium expects.
Canada is never a summer games powerhouse.
SI had predicted gold for Tara Whitten in Women's omnium and Catharine Pendrel in Mountain biking (event is starting in a half hour). I've seen other sites predicting gold for Adam Van Koeverden and the Men's 8 rowing team. No, we've never been a powerhouse, but have taken home 3 or more golds since 1984 (which the communists boycotted, so '88 if you want).

Quote:
The Olympics was not that disappointing.
Some of the big names failed, but there were a lot of unexpected medals, along with many top 5 and top 10 finishes.
Compared to the Australians, with the complete collapse of their swimming program, I think Canada made out rather well.
Canada also got the results with a lot less resources, which is commendable and an achievement in itself.
I'm disappointed in the top end results, not in the team. We pulled off some surprise upsets to bring home the Bronze. Even the gold medal winner was off the board. Our underdogs over-performed, and our favorites slipped up.

Quote:
It is the 1st year that Own the Podium really focused on the summer games.
London was always an experiment, and a building block for the future.
For a "rebuilding" program, I am ok with the way they use the total medal instead of the gold medals.
As long as they can claim that they reach the goal of a top-12 finish, hopefully that will lead to continue or even more funding.
I kind of worry about complacency setting in from a '12th place' finish. Canadians might start thinking 'Hey, everything's OK, we finished 12th. They obviously don't need any more funding etc.' Did we really have a better Olympics than Hungary, a country that had 2 less medals to date but brought home 8 golds? That's better than Canada has ever brought home in a non-boycotted summer games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Apart from the disqualifications for not trying (and in some cases reversals) and the poor officiating/reffing, the fact that none of our media outlets have been tracking medals by golds, then silvers, then bronzes has been highly disappointing to me. We were concerned about golds during the winter games and we should be focused on it in the summer games. If it drops us in the standings, oh well, real is real.
We called the Americans on it during 2010. I remember being frustrated when their media would go on about winning the medal count, when we outdid them in Gold medals. This time out, our media is doing the same thing they denounced in 2010 and trying to put a positive spin on team Canada's performance. It's a bit hypocritical on the Canadian media's part.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

God race walking is a joke.

30 guys finished and ive counted 8 who have collapsed and needed assistance off the course.

Like which sport does that happen in?

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Apart from the disqualifications for not trying (and in some cases reversals) and the poor officiating/reffing, the fact that none of our media outlets have been tracking medals by golds, then silvers, then bronzes has been highly dissapointing to me. We were concerned about golds during the winter games and we should be focused on it in the summer games. If it drops us in the standings, oh well, real is real.
Absolutely in terms of summer games.

We should be dominating in winter sports as its much harder to put winter sport resources in place for non-cold climate countries.

We may not have year round sunshine to train in but a good portion of summer sports can be done in existing or cheaply built sporting complexes.

Canadians in general simply just dont care enough about sports other than hockey.

And when we dont do well theres a litany of excuses. Not enough population, dont spend enough money, bad weather blah blah blah.

Old
08-11-2012, 08:21 AM
jj1944*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Absolutely in terms of summer games.

We should be dominating in winter sports as its much harder to put winter sport resources in place for non-cold climate countries.

We may not have year round sunshine to train in but a good portion of summer sports can be done in existing or cheaply built sporting complexes.

Canadians in general simply just dont care enough about sports other than hockey.

And when we dont do well theres a litany of excuses. Not enough population, dont spend enough money, bad weather blah blah blah.

Stop whining. Canada will never be a power in the Summer Olympics. You can whine all you want about Canadians not caring about sports, but look at the British budget for this year alone was over 200 million pounds. Don't watch if it gets you so pissed off

jj1944* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1944 View Post
Stop whining. Canada will never be a power in the Summer Olympics. You can whine all you want about Canadians not caring about sports, but look at the British budget for this year alone was over 200 million pounds. Don't watch if it gets you so pissed off
Not whining and not pissed off.

Never asked canada to be a power.

I dont watch any of the sports to watch canadians. I watch to see athletes doing amazing things. Such as the Tunisian fellow who won the 10km swim yesterday.

How many canadians tuned into that? Weinberger of canada also had a fantastic swim finishing in bronze.

Also as someone who played what was canadas official sport, lacrosse, im well aware of how little interest sports are that are not named hockey.

Old
08-11-2012, 10:46 AM
jimmythescot

I hate Mark Lawrenson so I'm biased, but I loved the first 30 seconds of the gold medal men's soccer. "Brazil have the sun at their backs and have some amazing talent. We might just see Brazil do something really special today". Five seconds later it was in the back of Brazil's net and Lawrenson was trying to sound like he'd seen it coming all along.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:20 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Best Olympic twitter ever:

Quote:
Kevin Seccia ‏@kevinseccia

Wow. Until you've actually tried some of this gymnastics stuff you don't realize how EASY it is. No joke, it's like impossible to screw up.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Good to see Mexico taking it to Brazil in football.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

2-0 so awesome!

Old
08-11-2012, 11:39 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

**** this team. Mano is awful, Neymar thinks he's Pele, this defence is so casual you would think they're hung over from last night.

Winning the Gold Medal would be the one Brazil would be forgiven for not winning the World Cup two years from now. Now I don't want to be anywhere near that country when Argentina or something puts the team to sleep in the quarter finals in 2014.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote