HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Overall, will the CBJ be better, worse or the same without Rick Nash?

View Poll Results: Will the CBJ be better, worse or the same after Rick Nash
Better 53 66.25%
Worse 10 12.50%
Same 17 21.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Overall, will the CBJ be better, worse or the same without Rick Nash?

I did mess up that last thread and poll attempt, in my defense though the orginal thread was not intended to be a poll, I will try again. This time vote if you wish, if not so be it..

Is all I want is an opinion from the fans as to their expectation in the post Rick Nash Blue Jackets future; will the CBJ be better, worse or the same. I know a team can't be worse than 30th as last season but consider the entire time we had Rick... If you want to add the rational for the choice that would be welcomed.

Last edited by Robert: 08-10-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:58 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

They will be the same this year, but will improve over time. As good as Nash is he one player doesn't make a team or break a team. He was without a doubt the best player, but we brought back 2 decent to good players. You need depth to win. It will be a while, but we will be a good team one day.

CBJWennberg41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Poll works much better. Thanks to the mods and Robert for doing it right.

I think the team is in better shape now that Rick is gone. I don't know that things will get better this year, but the leadership core is much stronger, we got some solid pieces back for him towards the future, and really just having a more balanced team in general should make us better. I think we're primed for a 10-12 range finish with some real building blocks for the future, and we're probably in the best shape overall that we have ever been.

Rick Nash is a terrific player. Without a doubt the best this franchise ever saw, and a tremendous human being. A humble, soft spoken gentleman in a game that seems to border cocky and loud mouthed. I'll miss him for sure, but I can honestly say that we have a lot to be excited about.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Robert
Foligno family

I did not mention my rational, I think they will be better, perhaps much better within 2-3 years. I never disliked Rick, he's a great player but I think he was caught in a franchise saving role that he never expected or really wanted that in the end may have been detrimental to the team as a whole. It is true he never had elite talent around him here but even if he did I don't think his preferred role would be the poster child for the CBJ. In my opinion Rick Nash will find fame as a complimentary player to the best, not the lead guy...

If the Jackets team problem was related to hoping the star of the team will do it for us every night that is now gone... and, our opponents will no longer be able to say if you shut down Rick Nash you shut down the Blue Jackets. I think the Jackets will be a better team unit without our only true star in history. I also think Nash is going to excel in NY.. He should have been a part of the Rangers for the playoffs last season, he could have helped them.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I hesitate to vote because I'm convinced this is going to be treated as a referendum on Nash, and I think that's the wrong way to look at it.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:33 AM
georgiabluejacket

I think better, just because now it's a team and not "let's follow our leader" kind of mind set. For example after it was revealed he asked for a trade I think the team as a whole stopped following Nash and started to just go out and play. We were 11-8 in the last 19 games(playoff pace) and I don't believe that's a coincidence. I personally will miss Nash, but I'm not disappointed he left.

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I hesitate to vote because I'm convinced this is going to be treated as a referendum on Nash, and I think that's the wrong way to look at it.
Don't vote then, you state your premise then sustain it.. It's a poll on the future of the CBJ after Nash. You can ignor the the Nash effect on this organization if you chose, the fact is he was the Blue Jackets, that is relevant. The referendum on Nash will be deterimined in New York City, not Columbus.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Saad Panda

Robert, I don't think I've ever whole-heartedly agreed with you more than I do right now

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:05 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Don't vote then, you state your premise then sustain it.. It's a poll on the future of the CBJ after Nash. You can ignor the the Nash effect on this organization if you chose, the fact is he was the Blue Jackets, that is relevant. The referendum on Nash will be deterimined in New York City, not Columbus.
See, here's the thing. I really do think the team will improve. HOWEVER, I've seen what this fanbase does to whomever it feels it can blame. It's disgusting and uncalled for even if the individuals being held responsible are in fact responsible. And if there's any player in the history of the Blue Jackets who deserves that treatment least of all, it's Rick Nash. And frankly I refuse to encourage the lynch mob in any way - because I have zero faith whatsoever in this fanbase's ability to coherently separate "the team composition will do better now" from "it was all Rick Nash's fault" when it comes time to find the next Public Execution Target.

We have people here who are angry at Mr. Mac, for G-d's sake. Like hell I'm gonna give out more ammo for that ********.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
If it does, I'll shut it down.

Old
08-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Don't vote then, you state your premise then sustain it..
I'll try, but I still believe your premise is flawed, and don't believe this incarnation of this thread "fixes" what was wrong with the previous one.

Quote:
You can ignor the the Nash effect on this organization if you chose, the fact is he was the Blue Jackets, that is relevant.
Actually it's not relevant, because it's untrue. Nash being on the team did not make it suck more than it was good during his tenure here. And the only bearing his departure will have on the improvement (or lack thereof) of the CBJ moving forward is whether the front office can manage to use the pieces acquired in the trade to construct a better team.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:30 AM
RBarRegular

No doubt in my mind that we'll be better this season. I'm not saying we're going to make the playoffs but we'll be more competitive. We've got too many guys with a lot to prove to roll over like last year. Dubinsky, RJU, Foligno, John Moore, Wiz, Mason, Bob... these are all guys who should play with a chip on their shoulder this season. Our franchise has been so maligned and criticized that I've got to think we come out strong this year. We may fade eventually but I think the culture of suck will begin to change. The improved D Corps should help our goaltending situation and should lead to better breakouts and opportunities in the opponent's zone. If we find a way to generate some offense, we could be among the league's most pleasant surprises.

RBarRegular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

We get rid of a guy who scores 30-40 goals a year and 60-70 pts and we are better off? That's a pretty sad statement but probably true because he has been a one man show trying to carry the load all thanks to the most incompetent GM in pro sports. So we have to get rid of our best player in order to improve the team, in other words, level the playing ability in the locker room so no 'one' player stands out head and shoulders above the rest. Now the players can supposedly mesh better without just one player being counted on to put everyone on his shoulders. That's a pretty sad situation..... And apparently the Hockey News doesn't see any improvement, picking us dead last again, with the question of "why wouldn't we pick them last?". I'd be shocked to see any Predictions put us anywhere but last.

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:56 AM
FlaggerX

This is not a referendum on Nash, but rather a comment on the Jackets depth. Last year, except for Dorsett they showed zero offense at all from the bottom six, and we had a defense which started out questionable and was then gutted by injuries. And terrible goaltending. Worse coaching.

This year we don't have a proven star up front, but we should get goals from three lines rather then two, making up for Nash's goals. We have an abundance of puck-moving defensemen and true defensive talent percolating in the minors. That alone should make our power play scary, allow us to survive injuries and improve our goaltending.

Granted, we don't have a Luongo in net, but he would never come here anyway. Still, we'll be better. Please remember that we began last year without our #2 and #3 goalies as Dekanich lost the whole year, and Sanford most of the season to injuries. Question marks abound, but both Mase and Bob have shown they're capable of outstanding play, and with a much, much improved blue line and defensively responsible forwards goaltending will improve. Enough to make us feel content? Almost certainly not, but I can't see us giving up nearly so many goals as we did last year. More overall scoring and many fewer GAs point to a much better team.

I'll guess 80 points and 10th in the west.

Three firsts next year and depth in the minors (except at forward) makes for a better team.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:13 AM
ndd17
Hate the rags!!!

I think we will be better, but not because to be worse than the 30th is not possible. Yes, the best player left the team, but instead we got two pretty good, promising players.
Dubi + AA + earlier Foligno. Now we have good depth forwards, larger selection of TOP-6,three fairly good forwards line.And what is also important for me, now we are most Russian team in the league.

ndd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

When I think of team improvement I think of the idea that the sum is greater than the parts. That's the way I feel about this team. I think we are going to see a drastic improvement and, for once, I am buoyed by the thought that we are actually building a foundation. I don't know that we'll see a player of Rick's caliber in the next 5-10 years (maybe ever) but the supporting staff, on paper, as of today, seems to me more focused on a team effort.

I love the skill and flash of players like Nash and think this team will need that to take the next step but had Nash not been moved I think everything would continue to be forced through, on, around Rick Nash. That's a tough position to be in. Until there is balance, I don't think you can get to a team concept. The removal of Nash, as sad as it made me, pushes this team to a more balanced approach. Do we have enough skill to push for the playoffs? I don't know, but I want to believe that we won't see the disfunction we saw last year made by an effort to just add talent and not cohesiveness.

I'm optimistic. Then again, I always am this time of year. I'll miss Nash but think the team, as a whole, is better with this move. I also happen to like the pieces we got back in return.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Better but more for the fact that the it's going to force the team to go in a different direction rather than Nash not being here anymore.

I believe in a few years, we'll view this in a similar light to the Thornton trade.

08-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Renion

I think they'll be different. I have no idea what that will mean. I'd lean towards "better," but only because I'm feeling better about the team in general.

Also, I'd like to say that this is a legitimate hockey discussion, whether or not it devolves/evolves into a discussion on Nash. I fully support Robert's desire to discuss any hockey topic in a reasonable fashion. If some aren't capable of doing that, and I know some are not, ban them from the thread, not the thread from my eyes. This is a discussion board, after all. Pardon if that sounds abrupt, but I'm getting quite tired of people telling me what I can and cannot read, especially when there is a perfectly good "Ignore this thread" button that I've never used.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:22 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I voted "better" -though not because Nash made us worse.

Rather, I simply think we have made OVERALL improvements, of which Nash was one piece. One of the biggest improvements should be in the psychology of the lockerroom.

I don't think Nash was a cancer or cause of our problems, he just wasn't the solution, and the change should shake things up.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:03 PM
candyman82

I think the fact that this team will have a direction other than "find somebody for Nash to play with" will eventually allow us to be more than we could have been with him.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:17 PM
BluejacketNut

Any team with Howson as GM is doomed

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:34 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Any team with Howson as GM is doomed

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:59 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Still not voting. Don't care for the wording. Why can't the question just be will the Jackets be better, worse or the same this season? Why does Nash even have to be part of the question?

08-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Still not voting. Don't care for the wording. Why can't the question just be will the Jackets be better, worse or the same this season? Why does Nash even have to be part of the question?
Because Nash was the biggest part of the team for a decade. And it's not even close.

Not sure why asking if things will be different seems to offend some people. He was the franchise player. His departure is going to affect the franchise in a way that nobody else before him has and few others in the future will.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Seedtype

I think we will be better overall because of the Rick Nash trade. We have a more balanced group of forwards that will hopefully score some goals.
I think the problem was that this franchise had no plan in place for years plus terrible drafting. So, Nash was pretty much by himself, and he was then thrust into a position he wasn't quite ready for(and he himself disappeared at times I feel).
I wish Nash the best in New York. But I am glad he was traded and we no longer are just defined by him alone.

I am really optimistic about the future for this club. It seems like we finally have a plan in place-a plan that I think has worked for other teams in the past(strong defense, good goalie depth(hopefully soon) and depth at forward).
Next year will probably still have us out of the playoffs, but hopefully we'll have a good draft with forwards to push us over the edge in the future(and hopefully a good realignment and better revenue sharing in new CBA).

Seedtype is online now   Reply With Quote