HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Rangers trade Gaborik(Gartner style)?

View Poll Results: Gaborik with us for a cup run?
Keep Gaborik 132 94.29%
Trade Gaborik 8 5.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-11-2012, 07:36 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
-Cap decreasing.
-Lundqvist, McDonagh, Stepan, Callahan, Kreider, Girardi, Staal, Hagelin ALL need new contracts within 3 years.
-Gaborik can't stay healthy to save his life.
-Gaborik's contract expires in 2 seasons.

Gaborik is going be dealt eventually.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:03 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Glenn Anderson is a Hall of Famer, a clutch playoff performer. Morrow wishes he could even shine his shoes
Clutch playoff performer? Yeah when he had Gretzky and Messier setting him up in Edmonton.

Did **** here in NY.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
I have to disagree. He was at the end but the 94 Rangers was the last run and he was very good for that team. He knew what it was. He brought WINNING mojo. All he had.
Glenn Anderson scored 2 of the 4 game winning goals in the '94 finals. You can look it up.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:08 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

I'd only consider trading Gaborik next summer if it becomes a hassle to keep McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, etc. at cheaper deals and we need to trade him to make cap room to re-sign our younger guys. In that case, the deal I would seek would be something similar for what the Flyers got for Richards/Carter. A young power-forward with top 6 potential, a top prospect that is NHL ready, and a 2nd/3rd round pick.

Packages like JVR + Carter Ashton + 2nd

or Patrik Berglund + Ty Rattie

or Patric Hornqvist + Austin Watson + 3rd

Something along those lines. If you can't get that return for Gaborik after next season and the cap gets tighter, hang onto him and try to re-sign him at 1-2 years 5.5-6m the following offseason when he's a UFA if Kreider and Hagelin and Miller haven't produced enough to replace his production. If they have, let him walk, take the extra $7.5m and re-sign all our UFA/RFAs that we have the 2014 offseason.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Crease

I'm 25 and I feel old on this board.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

maybe next year if cap is a problem, but right now? hell no

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:59 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The Gartner trade made a ton of sense at the time. The Rangers were just blown out at home by the Hawks on national TV and and the Devils on their tail for 1st overall.

Anderson scored two humongous goals in games 2 and 3. Both were game winners, including a SHG in game 2 to break a 1-1 tie. If the Rangers lose that game, they go to Vancouver down 0-2.

Gartner was an all-star in 1993 because Messier couldnt play. He didn't play like an all-star in 1994 and saw a lot of 3rd line duties.

Gaborik is 30 and a 1st line all-NHL winger. Gartner was almost 35 and not a 1st line all-NHL winger when he was traded.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Would you want Sather to get a couple durable pieces for Gaborik like Smith did with Gartner in '94?

(ahh summer threads!)
Not sure there's an apples to apples comparison. Keenan never liked Gartner. I don't think the same is true with Torts and Gaborik.

08-11-2012, 10:09 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The Rangers were blown out by three of the SC contenders in a week before the trades -- Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago.

After the trades, they went 8-2-2, including a huge win against the Devils.

Anderson was outstanding in the Leafs' 1993 Cup run. One of the best clutch snipers in NHL history.

Old
08-11-2012, 10:13 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Besides, why would you want to trade Gaborik before even seeing what Nash can accomplish here?

Gabby is the 1st Ranger to have to have two 40-goal seasons in almost 20 years. He's their 1st line scoring option until somebody proves they can outproduce him.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:24 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Good cases made from both sides.

Dunno why people are talking about regular season production though.

I should change my original question, instead of durable players, I meant money players (guys that succeed in the playoffs[which IS a different game]).

Of course we'd all like to see how he does with Nash, and it would obviously wait...come deadline day it's important to think of how each cog would perform in a playoff fight.

Some folks just don't come alive til playoffs. But when they do turn it on, as difference makers, I'd take them over most of the regular season all star rosters.
Ex. I'd easily take Dustin Penner over Ryan Kessler in April, even though I wouldn't even think about it for a paid regular season based fantasy league.

I still have no solid decision on my own poll lol

Last edited by CHGoalie27: 08-11-2012 at 12:32 PM.
CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:05 PM
eco's bones

Anderson's career was about over and Gartner was still a prolific scorer. Anderson had been on winners and had more grit than Gartner. Keenan couldn't stand Gartner though and maybe one thing in his outlook applied--that Gartner didn't have what it took to be a winner and the almost what you might call gracious way Gartner accepted the trade could if you will be seen as proof of that.

Part of what made that season as memorable as it became was any number of almost insane moments and Keenan was in the middle of about 90% of that. It was a real rollercoaster ride from beginning to end especially in the playoffs. Keenan treated a lot of players like ******* while others like Messier had free rein to do whatever they wanted. I'm not complaining. It worked and then fell apart almost immediately afterwards.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:05 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Well that's where the 'pretty nearly' comes in. He did do some things to help us win. He added some grit. Gartner only had a few years left himself but Anderson at the point was no where near the top of his game and the end of his career was nigh. Debatable whether that helped or hurt our SC chances that year. Since we won anyway it's almost a whatever.

And part of it was Keenan--keeping Mike happy. Hockeyburd's post has it right there. These deals were made at least somewhat in mind with the idea that it wasn't going to be just one and done with Mike and he definitely had it in for some guys. ****--the beginning of the year Leetch was one of them. He had to let Brian know he was no Chelios. Wanted Neil Smith to trade him for Stu Grimson. ****ing nuts. Now he's our TV commentator. Tortorella may have a bit of a psychotic streak too but he's not retarded.
He may not be retarded but even if he were he wouldn't have any such latitude on this team. Can you imagine if he took demands or behavior like Keenan's to Sather? Before Sather even has a chance to adjust his cigar, Tort's ass would be on the first plane back to TSN.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:20 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

no way

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

If there are any future HOFs to be had and pursued at the trade deadline, it's Jagr.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:36 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Good cases made from both sides.

Dunno why people are talking about regular season production though.

I should change my original question, instead of durable players, I meant money players (guys that succeed in the playoffs[which IS a different game]).

Of course we'd all like to see how he does with Nash, and it would obviously wait...come deadline day it's important to think of how each cog would perform in a playoff fight.

Some folks just don't come alive til playoffs. But when they do turn it on, as difference makers, I'd take them over most of the regular season all star rosters.
Ex. I'd easily take Dustin Penner over Ryan Kessler in April, even though I wouldn't even think about it for a paid regular season based fantasy league.

I still have no solid decision on my own poll lol
Ryan Kessler career playoffs 10-26-36 in 53 games, 7-12-19 in 25 games when van went to finals. Penner career 10-20-30 in 60 games, 3-8-11 in 20 games last year. I'd take Kesler any day regular season or playoffs

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

for Bobby Ryan straight up

08-11-2012, 07:09 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

There's no way Sather's looking to trade Gaborik right now. We finally have enough offense that may get us to the next level and win a cup. The goal of the off-season was to improve our scoring and we did just that, trading him seems rather counter-productive.

Yes, he has trouble staying healthy, but when he's on the ice we're a totally different team. We need him this year. The addition of Nash helps tremendously, but a healthy Gaborik may make us the most dangerous and balanced team in the league.

A year from now we may have to evaluate the situation differently, taking into account the status of his contract and the cap, but for now Gabby is a Ranger, as he should be.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Not this year.

Possibly next year, depending on how much money we will have to spend on our RFA's. Gaborik may have to be moved to create some space.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

If Sather manages to trade Gaborik for Ryan (It isn't going to happen, I know, but hypothetically...) would anyone be against it?

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
If Sather manages to trade Gaborik for Ryan (It isn't going to happen, I know, but hypothetically...) would anyone be against it?
I would be upset to see Gabby go, but that is a good trade for us.

It would never happen, though.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Yes. Everyone loves drooling over Bobby Ryan. But he scores less, and just because he's big, doesn't mean he's physical.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Blueshirt Believer

If we have enough money for our RFAs, with Gabs on the roster. They may move Gabs for a decent package, and sign Corey Perry. Depends on how Gabs plays this year.

I do not see any way that Bobby Ryan ends up on the Rangers.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:15 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He may not be retarded but even if he were he wouldn't have any such latitude on this team. Can you imagine if he took demands or behavior like Keenan's to Sather? Before Sather even has a chance to adjust his cigar, Tort's ass would be on the first plane back to TSN.
Not altogether a fan of Neil Smith's but he hung in there that year. Generally I find when Torts doesn't like a player there's usually a pretty good reason why. Mike Keenan not so much. Neil Smith went overboard giving Keenan the guys he wanted though--Larmer, Noonan, Matteau, Anderson, MacTavish and they won and for a team that hadn't won in 54 years and with a fanbase that was pretty much schizoid about ever winning a championship and being constantly serenaded in enemy rinks with chants of '1940'--that was pretty special.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Machinehead
Get Well Gordie

When we traded Gartner he wasn't easily our best offensive player. Gaborik is.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote