HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Andrei Markov Thread

Old
08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Malkin is way younger than Markov and never missed anywhere near the amount of time Markov did.
Markov was 30 or 31 and Malkin like 26, not like we are talking about a 25 year old and a 75 year old, both are elite athletes, the age difference is not relevant.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Yes and Markov wasn't good during that stretch.

He's still going to be rusty. I am confident he will recover, but I expect it could take half the season.
At this point, my expectations for him are that he's going to settle on a top-4 role. Anything more than that is gravy. With Subban getting better and better, I don't see him being able to come back on top in the pecking order.

Who knows, maybe they could play together and make an awesome pairing, but I don't see it. And from what I've heard, Markov isn't too fond of Subby anyway.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
At this point, my expectations for him are that he's going to settle on a top-4 role. Anything more than that is gravy. With Subban getting better and better, I don't see him being able to come back on top in the pecking order.

Who knows, maybe they could play together and make an awesome pairing, but I don't see it. And from what I've heard, Markov isn't too fond of Subby anyway.
To elaborate, I am extremely optimistic on Markov: long-term.

I believe his injuries mean he has avoided three years of major wear and year, and a guy with his work ethic must be in incredible shape right now with all the extra time to work out.

However, I think an intelligence player like him, a high-IQ player, will need time to readjust. I suggest 3rd pairing with Bouillon or someone at ES and 2nd PP pairingf or confidence boosting points against weak 2nd PK units. He can get back to the 1st pairing at ES and 1st pairing on the PP by the end of the season.

I think Andrei Markov can compete for several Norris trophies: as soon as the 2013-2014 season.

Hopefully there's no lockout.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:08 PM
imisssaku
@imisssaku

Quote:

I believe his injuries mean he has avoided three years of major wear and year, and a guy with his work ethic must be in incredible shape right now with all the extra time to work out.

However, I think an intelligence player like him, a high-IQ player, will need time to readjust. I suggest 3rd pairing with Bouillon or someone at ES and 2nd PP pairingf or confidence boosting points against weak 2nd PK units. He can get back to the 1st pairing at ES and 1st pairing on the PP by the end of the season.

I think Andrei Markov can compete for several Norris trophies: as soon as the 2013-2014 season.

Cheers to your optimism. I definitely hope so.

I just don't think he'll ever be able to play at that level again. As much as the time off saved him wear and tear, it's also likely wreaked havoc on his skill and timing.

Sheltered ES minutes and 1st line PP minutes (for his disgusting passes alone) would be ideal this year.

imisssaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
If he plays 70 games this year, I could see something like 10 points in the first half, 25 in the second. But who knows. Maybe he'll never crack 30 points again, maybe he'll never play 50 games again, or....maybe he gets 45 points in 82 games and puts this all to rest for a while.

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
If he plays 70 games this year, I could see something like 10 points in the first half, 25 in the second. But who knows. Maybe he'll never crack 30 points again, maybe he'll never play 50 games again, or....maybe he gets 45 points in 82 games and puts this all to rest for a while.
I don't think he'll be "rusty" to start the year as long as he can go full out in camp from day 1 and play preseason games. What hurt him last year was he was basically playing HIS preseason when most players/teams were in playoff push mode after 5-6 months of play.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think he'll be "rusty" to start the year as long as he can go full out in camp from day 1 and play preseason games. What hurt him last year was he was basically playing HIS preseason when most players/teams were in playoff push mode after 5-6 months of play.
I could see him being more instinctually rusty than anything. He may get back in top shape, be as mentally prepared as ever, but the truth is his body and mind haven't come together to play a prolonged amount of top tier hockey for very long in the last quarter decade. I see a couple months of what he was like last season to start off this season

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Markov was 30 or 31 and Malkin like 26, not like we are talking about a 25 year old and a 75 year old, both are elite athletes, the age difference is not relevant.
The age difference between a 31 year old and 26 year old is relevant assuming they were both 100% healthy, never mind the fact that Markov basically missed 3 years of hockey. Of course you also forget that Markov is 33, not 31 and Malkin was 25 when he had his comeback season, so its an 8 year age difference. That's pretty substantial.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:04 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:

I share your optimism for Markov and extend it for Plekanec and Gionta,after last season these veterans are going to be hungry.In particular Markov whose love for the game and the Habs should see him as the quiet leader he's always been.Bourque's game will be at peak performance and having ex-teammate Brandon Prust to share some of the physical game can only help.The Plekanec line will be running on all cylinders and racing with the Desharnais line for icetime all season long,just my opinion.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
The age difference between a 31 year old and 26 year old is relevant assuming they were both 100% healthy, never mind the fact that Markov basically missed 3 years of hockey. Of course you also forget that Markov is 33, not 31 and Malkin was 25 when he had his comeback season, so its an 8 year age difference. That's pretty substantial.
I have the impression that the surgeon who reconstructed Markov's knee didn't do that good of a job either. How comes after 2 operations they still find pieces of blown bones in his knee and have to make a 3rd operation to remove them?

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote