HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Thoughts on Leo Komarov?

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2012, 12:52 PM
leugangen

vCash: 500
I really like what I have seen/read about Komarov. Sounds exactly like the type of player we need - a total pest that has skill. I see him being a fixture on the third line at some point this season. His skill is underrated.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:09 PM
MintoMadDogsKiller18*
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSoup View Post
I'm hoping he is just a nasty pesky mofo like he seems to be. Having a somewhat skilled pest, would be great, we need more of an edge to this team, really hoping he brings that, with him and brown out there together, should def be an annoying fourth line to play agaisnt.

Does Leo have any speed?
Yes, he is speedy.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:29 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

In the KHL, Komarov was an effective top 6 in the result of injuries. His versatility will be a very useful for us.

Old
08-11-2012, 02:21 PM
BeLeaf1331
Leaf Syndrome

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
In the KHL, Komarov was an effective top 6 in the result of injuries. His versatility will be a very useful for us.
Exactly, lots of people under estimating him.

Old
08-11-2012, 02:35 PM
rdawg1234

Wow, some people underestimating this guy.

No way he gets sent to the marlies IMO. He's got too much pestiness, energy and useful skill for our bottom 6.

People seem to be big fans of him over in the KHL and he literally just won a championship in both the KHL and World championships. He's not a young kid. Even in the prospect camp they said he was a man among boys. He can pass like a pro.

I see him as a Mike Brown with more pestiness, more skill but less fighting. These are the kind of guys that can win you the odd game IMO.

Old
08-11-2012, 02:36 PM
HocKEyFrEaK99

Quote:
Originally Posted by YunelYESco View Post
Exactly, lots of people under estimating him.
usually people here overate players then they get mad

Old
08-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Wow, some people underestimating this guy.

No way he gets sent to the marlies IMO. He's got too much pestiness, energy and useful skill for our bottom 6.
Two year ago scored a career high 14 goals in a second rate league. This year he scored 11 in the same league.

To put those totals in better perspective, he was has finished 96th and 98th in KHL scoring. How much useful skill do you think that requires?

Quote:
People seem to be big fans of him over in the KHL and he literally just won a championship in both the KHL and World championships. He's not a young kid. Even in the prospect camp they said he was a man among boys. He can pass like a pro.
You know why he looked like a man among boys? It's because he was a man among boys. He's 25. The rest of the players were 17-19.

Quote:
I see him as a Mike Brown with more pestiness, more skill but less fighting. These are the kind of guys that can win you the odd game IMO.
Closer to similar skill... and closer to no figthing.

If Komarov actually drops his gloves by choice, I'll be shocked.

Old
08-11-2012, 04:11 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
I predict a love/hate relationship not seen in these parts since Aki Berg.

Seriously though....from what people say who have watched him play, he was a jerk to play against, lots of boarding type plays, and he would rarely fight...only if it was after being jumped. But he has wized up a bit, but still draws penalties (as he did against Canada in the recent llHF) but through more tenacious forechecking around the net.

I am very curious how he is going to pan out.

Old
08-11-2012, 04:32 PM
anotherqtip420

Found these :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtV1w0RhV7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp9XLh2a8Yc

Old
08-11-2012, 04:58 PM
lordsithis

Darcy Tucker-lite?

Old
08-11-2012, 05:05 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Two year ago scored a career high 14 goals in a second rate league. This year he scored 11 in the same league.

To put those totals in better perspective, he was has finished 96th and 98th in KHL scoring. How much useful skill do you think that requires?

You know why he looked like a man among boys? It's because he was a man among boys. He's 25. The rest of the players were 17-19.

Closer to similar skill... and closer to no figthing.
If Komarov actually drops his gloves by choice, I'll be shocked.
lol the top guy in the KHL had 63 points(Radulov), it's a lower scoring league, He had 26 and 24 points, essentially 0.5 points per game. And that's playing mostly a bottom 6 role with the odd boost to a top 6 role. I could see him hitting 20 points which is more than enough for a 4th liner.

From what scouts have said he actually has really good hands sometimes. Brown has NO hands what so ever, hes a pure energy guy. It's fine if he doesn't drop his gloves like crazy, but to have an agitator like him is useful, he can get under people's skin.

I would much rather have his skillset on the 3rd/4th line than some marlie player or a guy like Lombardi who has no place there.

Old
08-11-2012, 05:28 PM
darrylsittler27

Quote:
lol the top guy in the KHL had 63 points(Radulov), it's a lower scoring league, He had 26 and 24 points, essentially 0.5 points per game. And that's playing mostly a bottom 6 role with the odd boost to a top 6 role. I could see him hitting 20 points which is more than enough for a 4th liner.

From what scouts have said he actually has really good hands sometimes. Brown has NO hands what so ever, hes a pure energy guy. It's fine if he doesn't drop his gloves like crazy, but to have an agitator like him is useful, he can get under people's skin.

I would much rather have his skillset on the 3rd/4th line than some marlie player or a guy like Lombardi who has no place there.
I see him replacing Lombo and platoning on 4th with Orr or taking over if Brown gets injured.

Old
08-11-2012, 05:29 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Komorov-Steckel-Brown on the 4th line. Works for me.

Old
08-11-2012, 05:42 PM
BeLeaf1331
Leaf Syndrome

I think he could be a SLIGHTLY lesser Carl Hagelin from the rangers. Similar playing styles.

Old
08-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Predaleafs

This guy is very under-rated here. Give it 3 weeks and this guy is going to be a fan favorite. Him and Mike Brown will draw alot of penaltys and ride the other team with the forecheck. Think Steve Downie without the scoring thats what we got in him.

Old
08-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I know it's a lower scoring league, but that doesn't change the fact that he was 96th and 98th in the scoring race the last two seasons. He played in a garbage league, and he's still an offensive non-factor.

Quote:
According to Brian Burke, it's actually not fine if he doesn't drop the gloves. Remember his "Colton Orr is cut because of rats" rant?

Old
08-11-2012, 08:17 PM
rdawg1234

I still don't see your point, who cares if he's 96th in scoring? he's a bottom 6 guy what would you expect? All people have said is that he has solid hands and can make the odd decent play which definitely makes him useful in a bottom role.

Not sure about your second comment, Colton Orr was cut because he can't skate at all. He always dropped his gloves.

I doubt Komarov doesn't fight at all, but I assume he wont be a Brad Marchand kind of rat. Then again some people hate playing against Marchand so you could say that kind of player is useful at times.

Old
08-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I still don't see your point, who cares if he's 96th in scoring? he's a bottom 6 guy what would you expect? All people have said is that he has solid hands and can make the odd decent play which definitely makes him useful in a bottom role.
I don't expect much offense from a bottom 6 player, but that's not what Komarov was in the KHL. He got first line minutes, and still didn't produce.

Quote:
Not sure about your second comment, Colton Orr was cut because he can't skate at all. He always dropped his gloves.
Colton Orr was definately cut because he can't play hockey..... but Brian Burke blamed it on rats. A year later, Burke turns around and signs a rat to play in Colton Orr's old 4th line spot.

Old
08-11-2012, 08:46 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Burke is fighting fire with fire as in a recent interview Burke stated "the rats are taking over the NHL".

Komarov is being brought in to play that role as a 4th line energizer and shift disturber..
Burke said he has no rats on his team, and he never will. He also said, any of his players that decide to run around, have to fight. Not sure why you are creating something that doesnt even exisist? Must be a slow news say, shift disturbing at its finest.

Old
08-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YunelYESco View Post
I think he could be a SLIGHTLY lesser Carl Hagelin from the rangers. Similar playing styles.
Carl Hagelin played in the last NHL all-star game, so that is some pretty high expectations for Komarov you have set there.

08-11-2012, 09:02 PM
BeLeaf1331
Leaf Syndrome

Quote:
Carl Hagelin played in the last NHL all-star game, so that is some pretty high expectations for Komarov you have set there.
lmfaoo I don't mean a clone :p. But the way they play are very similar, but Komarov has less skill. I'm not expecting that much ahah

Old
08-11-2012, 09:27 PM
PemIceKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
I think he could surprise with his offence and bring 40 points, moving up to 3rd line by the end of the year.
4th line lw. Should stick.....not much competition. No room on 3rd line at all.

Old
08-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PemIceKing View Post
4th line lw. Should stick.....not much competition. No room on 3rd line at all.
Even the 4th line is not a guarantee based on all the Leaf forwards currently under contract.

Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, JVR, Grabovski, Connolly, Kulemin, MacArthur, McClement, Lombardi, Steckel, & Brown = 12 forwards & full house with no vacancies.

That leaves Komarov, Kadri and Frattin etc all fighting for jobs that presently don't exist unless some of those vets listed above are sent to the pressbox or dealt/waived to make room.

Old
08-11-2012, 09:56 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Even the 4th line is not a guarantee based on all the Leaf forwards currently under contract.

Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, JVR, Grabovski, Connolly, Kulemin, MacArthur, McClement, Lombardi, Steckel, & Brown = 12 forwards & full house with no vacancies.

That leaves Komarov, Kadri and Frattin etc all fighting for jobs that presently don't exist unless some of those vets listed above are sent to the pressbox or dealt/waived to make room.
Really hoping MacA gets traded simply to get Kadri in the lineup full time. Frattin is a non-issue until Nov-Dec due to injury. I expect Frattin to stay in the marlies for a few games before being called backup too just to get back in game-shape.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:27 PM
NCoRe

So the season have started with marlies 'n I'm curious how'd yall like Komarov and is the start of him been satisfying or dissapointing ?

Closed Thread