HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins #13 prospect

View Poll Results: Who is our #13 prospect?
Kenneth Agostino (20, Yale/ECAC) 5 4.85%
Nick D'Agostino (22, Cornell/ECAC) 6 5.83%
Ben Hanowski (21, St. Cloud State/WCHA) 49 47.57%
Matia Marcantuoni (18, Kitchener Rangers/OHL) 22 21.36%
Matt Murray (18, Sault Ste. Marie/OHL) 0 0%
Oscar Sundqvist (18, Skellefteć U18/SWE) 2 1.94%
Dominik Uher (19, Spokane Chiefs/WHL) 14 13.59%
Keven Veilleux (23, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 2 1.94%
Scott Wilson (20, UMass-Lowell/Hockey East) 0 0%
Jeff Zatkoff (25, Manchester/AHL) 3 2.91%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-10-2012, 04:47 PM
dogthateats

vCash: 500
I actually don't know anything about hockey prospects. I see maybe 3 AHL games a year haha. I did read some really good things about Zatkoff though. I just wanted some input from people who watch a lot more AHL games than myself. Just out of curiosity, how do you guys see so many AHL and college/ amateur hockey to know about some of our prospects.

dogthateats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Hanowski has a better skillset then you are giving him credit.
The way I had read the reports on Macaroni was that he was going to be a consensus 1st rounder before he got hurt, and that the only knock on him is he's reckless / doesn't take care of himself out there. But otherwise that he has great skill and speed.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:51 PM

Usually I go for upside but Uher is my guy here. IMO he's on track for a bottom 6 role while the other have way to many question marks.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
The way I had read the reports on Macaroni was that he was going to be a consensus 1st rounder before he got hurt, and that the only knock on him is he's reckless / doesn't take care of himself out there. But otherwise that he has great skill and speed.
I've heard he has questionable hockey sense though.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Add Paul Thompson... IMO the Pens most under rated prospect.

Old
08-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Burgs

Quote:
That 1st rounder talk was one year ago, though. And people said the same about Salmonsson so I'd take this "He'd be X if Y hadn't happened" with a big grain of salt. Junior players who are mostly built on speed and lack hockey sense usually have a hard time in the pro ranks. *cough* Rico Fata *cough* Marcantuoni was absolutely worth taking a chance on in the 4th round but currently he's as unproven as it gets.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:36 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
That 1st rounder talk was one year ago, though. And people said the same about Salmonsson so I'd take this "He'd be X if Y hadn't happened" with a big grain of salt. Junior players who are mostly built on speed and lack hockey sense usually have a hard time in the pro ranks. *cough* Rico Fata *cough* Marcantuoni was absolutely worth taking a chance on in the 4th round but currently he's as unproven as it gets.
Agreed, a year is a long time for guys that age to. I'd be very happy is Macaroni turns into the next Tyler Kennedy.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:43 PM
bigd

Quote:
Maybe he's on the sauce.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Agreed, a year is a long time for guys that age to. I'd be very happy is Macaroni turns into the next Tyler Kennedy.
I was thinking that was a decent comparison but I didn't want to invoke the chancellors wrath

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:53 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Well, he's already faster..

steelcityassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Its going to be an interesting season for Mac. I saw him at the Pens prospect game and was surprised with how skilled and smooth he is. I've read about him before but it was still nice to see.

Old
08-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

You b@stards! I don't ever want to see the words "Kennedy" and "Macaroni" in the same sentence again unless it's something like: "Macaroni has more skill in his elbow than Kennedy has in his entire body." Your faith is weaker than Kraft powdered cheese sauce!

See what I did there?

Old
08-10-2012, 06:17 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
Well, he's already faster..
true but Kennedy's pretty quick himself.

Old
08-10-2012, 08:35 PM
WVP

Quote:
You b@stards! I don't ever want to see the words "Kennedy" and "Macaroni" in the same sentence again unless it's something like: "Macaroni has more skill in his elbow than Kennedy has in his entire body." Your faith is weaker than Kraft powdered cheese sauce!

See what I did there?
Dude will have done exceedingly well for himself (and the Pens) if he has Kennedy's career.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:38 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogthateats View Post
I actually don't know anything about hockey prospects. I see maybe 3 AHL games a year haha. I did read some really good things about Zatkoff though. I just wanted some input from people who watch a lot more AHL games than myself. Just out of curiosity, how do you guys see so many AHL and college/ amateur hockey to know about some of our prospects.
I've watched nearly every WB/S game for the past 5 years now.
I watch them through AHL Live, which you have to pay for.
However, I put the highlights up on my site too for everyone to watch

steelcityassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Mr. T

Going with Hanowski again.

Mr. T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:15 AM
AlanMSaunders

Send a message via AIM to AlanMSaunders
Zatkoff again. He's an AHL all-star and has a 2.4 GAA in 277 AHL games. Matt Murray's GAA in the OHL was over 4 last season. Sean Maguire had similar numbers in Junior-A.

Being 25 for a goaltending prospect is no big deal. Pekka Rinne was 26 with a 2.4 AHL GAA when he made the jump to the NHL, Mike Smith was 25 with a 2.4 GAA, Cory Schneider was 24 with a 2.2

And it's not like all those guys had great pedigrees, either. Smith was a 5th rounder and Rinne an 8th rounder.

Add Alex Grant. He had a pretty good season last year and actually looks like he could be a prospect.

AlanMSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Dude will have done exceedingly well for himself (and the Pens) if he has Kennedy's career.
Honestly that sounds like a underestimation based on what I've read about him. Seems more like the type who will excel offensively at every level, but if he doesn't do that at the NHL level he'll end up an AHL all star type vs. a Kennedy type.

Even NHL.com mentioned if he can stay healthy this year and put together the numbers that were anticipated last year, he would end up much higher on the Pens' chart. I don't think Kennedy was ever expected to be an offensive contributor at the NHL level. He was not the guy drafted because he was risky but had high offensive upside AFAIR. He pretty much had "role player" written all over him from day 1.

As far as player type, seems like Macaroni's either going to make this team as a secondary scoring guy, or he's probably not going to make it at all. Trying to think of a comparison outside the Penguins... maybe a guy like J. Jokinen who when he started out people had high hopes because of his upside, and sometimes he shows some of that, but when he's not, he isn't particularly useful for playing a role on the bottom 6. Probably there are better examples but as I scanned a list he was the first that seemed to fit the mold a little bit.

We're at least three years away anyway but that's kind of what I'm hoping for. A guy that might surprise as true offensive depth, and if he doesn't he'll be AHL offense.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:32 AM
wej20

He plays aggressively and has great speed so I could see him fitting a 3rd line role if he can get his work on the defensive side of the puck to an average/above average level.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
He plays aggressively and has great speed so I could see him fitting a 3rd line role if he can get his work on the defensive side of the puck to an average/above average level.
Yah but doesn't he have a better shot / hands than guys you usually see on 3rd lines? I thought his major issue was that he was too aggressive all the time (hence the hockey sense thing), and that if he can just learn to pick his spots, he could be a really solid player?

Old
08-11-2012, 12:02 PM
wej20

Quote:
Yah but doesn't he have a better shot / hands than guys you usually see on 3rd lines? I thought his major issue was that he was too aggressive all the time (hence the hockey sense thing), and that if he can just learn to pick his spots, he could be a really solid player?
There is definitely good upside to be a top 6, he does have good shot and hands but can he utilise them properly is the question. That's why I picked Kennedy as a good comparison, Kennedy's got solid hands and a good wrist shot for a 3rd liner but often doesn't make great decisions in the offensive zone, flashes of brilliance at times but lots of brain farts to.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:21 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Your 3 reasons above are a joke. They basically describe every prospect in our system besides Zatkoff.

Maybe he's just not as good as some of the other prospects still on the board in this vote? ****...he's probably not even the next best goalie on the board for the Pens.
Imagine that. I gave an answer that might explain why Zatkoff is getting no love, and the answer builds a case for why every other prospect in our system is better known to the Pens hfboards community. I must be a ****ing lunatic.

You think he's not even the next best goalie option? Good for you. You know the most about the recently acquired minor league goalie whose name starts with a "Z," and who, by your implication, isn't worth learning a whole hell of a lot about, anyway. Please tell us all about how unlikely he is to play 200 games in the NHL. Your No-Prize is already in the mail.

I based my response on a decade-long survey of HFBoards behavior. While some HFBoards posters definitely have put in the work and and have the talent to know everything about every prospect, others flame out when it comes to prospect votes. Sometimes it's their fault; sometimes it's just how things turn out.

Just as team likely will never have 7 of its top 10 prospects become legit NHL defensemen, HFBoards is unlikely to have 7 of every 10 voters in any poll know a lot about every person listed in the poll.

Perhaps the explanation didn't perfectly explain why in this individual case (certainly you know how statistics drawn from comprehensive surveys don't always apply to small samples), but in looking at big picture, you can be sure that in situations as I described initially, sometimes a player slips through the cracks and the voters don't bother to learn much about him until he players well (or terribly) or the voters have to decided between a relatively unknown and prospects whom they have decided aren't worth their vote.

Last edited by mrzeigler: 08-11-2012 at 12:36 PM.
mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Ironic that you mention Salmonsson. I was reading some of the threads on who the Pens should pick at his position last night. The names given: Salmonsson, Lisin, Sindel, and Alexandrov. Goes to show how much of a crap-shoot it is to find true NHL talent.

Slabber Chops is offline   Reply With Quote