HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

St. Louis Blues Top Prospect #6

View Poll Results: #6
Jordan Schmaltz, D 24 38.10%
Brett Ponich, D 1 1.59%
Jani Hakanpaa, D 23 36.51%
Sam Kurker, RW 0 0%
Cade Fairchild, D 9 14.29%
Philip McRae, C 6 9.52%
Joel Edmunson, D 0 0%
MacKenzie MacEachern, LW 0 0%
Sebastian Wannstrom, RW 0 0%
Dmitri Jaskin, RW 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Wow - looks like I really stirred up the Finnish contingent here.

All the love for Hakanpaa is great - but if he's a better prospect than our #1 pick - Houston, we have a problem.
Oshie was a reach in the First Round, just as Schmaltz was. Oshie developed well and has made that choice at that position look good. Schmaltz may do that as well. But we won't know that for another 2-4 years. In the meantime, Haakanpaa is a "safer bet" to at least make it to The NHL.

Oshie was not "as good a player" as possibly another 20 players drafted after him, on draft day (and throughout his first year after being drafted). He is now better than most or all of them. The same may be true for Schmaltz. His prospect rating right now HAS to include the risk factor that he MAY NEVER add the missing pieces to his game that will get him into The NHL (defensive awareness, positioning in his own zone, physical game, ability to stand up to opponents physicality, add muscle strength and bulk, etc.).

Right now, Haakenpaa is playing on a higher level, due to the fact that a defenceman's primary responsibility is defending in his own zone, and he plays a lot more effectively there than does Schmaltz.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Oshie was a reach in the First Round, just as Schmaltz was. Oshie developed well and has made that choice at that position look good. Schmaltz may do that as well. But we won't know that for another 2-4 years. In the meantime, Haakanpaa is a "safer bet" to at least make it to The NHL.

Oshie was not "as good a player" as possibly another 20 players drafted after him, on draft day (and throughout his first year after being drafted). He is now better than most or all of them. The same may be true for Schmaltz. His prospect rating right now HAS to include the risk factor that he MAY NEVER add the missing pieces to his game that will get him into The NHL (defensive awareness, positioning in his own zone, physical game, ability to stand up to opponents physicality, add muscle strength and bulk, etc.).

Right now, Haakenpaa is playing on a higher level, due to the fact that a defenceman's primary responsibility is defending in his own zone, and he plays a lot more effectively there than does Schmaltz.
Finland is pretty far from the NHL. Hakanpaa is intriguing, but hes intriguing because he is a player we dont see play that often. He had a solid WJCs but I remember a few pretty bad giveaways. His stats are pretty good in Finland for a player his age on defense, but I think he will likely need some time in the AHL.

Just saying he is probably 2-4 years away from competing for a full time job as well.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:38 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Geez...I'm excited about both. Not that long ago, guys that wouldn't break our top 20 prospects were our 6 and 7 top prospects. These are as good of times as I remember with a good core of young players and more talent coming down the pipeline.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Finland is pretty far from the NHL. Hakanpaa is intriguing, but hes intriguing because he is a player we dont see play that often. He had a solid WJCs but I remember a few pretty bad giveaways. His stats are pretty good in Finland for a player his age on defense, but I think he will likely need some time in the AHL.

Just saying he is probably 2-4 years away from competing for a full time job as well.
Absolutely! I don't think anyone here is saying that Haakanpaa is ready for The NHL now, or any time soon. We've just stated that his all-around game is better, at this point, than Schmaltz's, and thus, he might be considered to be ranked slightly higher than Schmaltz. Actually, I voted for Schmaltz first at #6, and haakanpaa for #7, as I value Schmaltz's upside potential to be such an outstanding offensive defenceman, that IF he reaches his potential, and plays "average" in his own zone, his overall value should be significantly greater than Haakanpaa's.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Novacain

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Wow - looks like I really stirred up the Finnish contingent here.

All the love for Hakanpaa is great - but if he's a better prospect than our #1 pick - Houston, we have a problem.
You know, in 1998, the Red Wings best draft pick was in the 6th round. In 1999, their best pick was in the 7th. They clearly didn't have a problem.

Now, saying Hakanpaa is going to be in that class doesn't make sense. To say it's possible Hakanpaa is turning into a really good prospect that has more value then a late 1st rounder this year isn't anything that comes as a shock.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote