HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Komisarek

Old
08-11-2012, 03:37 PM
palindrom

vCash: 500
We had a similar thread in May: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1187041 Value of Colby Armstrong. With some leaf fan Asking for a 3th round.

We are talking about a player not only no team wanted for free, but Had a value so negative his contract was bought out. Even as a UFA, he could not fetch more than 1 000 000$

If back in may some fans evaluated Armstrong at 3 000 000$ value as positive, while in fact absolutely no team would offer him more than 1 000 000$ as an UFA. How much does it take for fan to realize a player have no value ? Does it have to be as worse as Gomez?

Last edited by palindrom: 08-11-2012 at 03:42 PM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:54 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I'm surprised the conversation has remained civil for as long as it has.

IMO, Komisarek has negative value.

Pros:
Good teammate

Cons:
Low IQ (gets caught standing still looking around in his own zone)
Bad skater
Terrible at handling the puck
Takes boneheaded penalties

Combine those cons and you have yourself a defenseman who will make you cringe whenever he's on the ice. Lombardi and Komisarek made the Maple Leafs worse then they already were. They're detriments to a good NHL team. Lombardi may have a chance to rebound under a full year of training but Komisarek has no excuse and very little hope, he's in fact a depth defenseman.

Whenever I think of Mike Komisarek, I think of Mike Commodore. Commodore was a 3.750M defenseman with Columbus then turned into a 1M depth defenseman who, today, doesn't have an NHL job.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:15 PM
HABitual Fan

Sometimes players instead of paying their agents a commission owe the money more to linemates who made them look better then they were in reality. Komisarek never looked the same after Markov was injured, and of course didn't have anyone like him in Toronto to pair with. Phaneuf can be judged in a similar light, he looked good when he broke into the league playing with Hamrlik to cover his mistakes, after that he was never the same player.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I still respect him. He played like a boss for us. People turned on him when he lost a fight. The guy was a beast for us and that's why he got a nice contract.

Last edited by spiny norman: 08-11-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: removed quote to deleted post
LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:08 PM
JackJ

Hasn't lived up to 1/4 of his contract. Fighting Lucic doesn't excuse years of subpar performance.

He simply lacks the skillset necessary for todays NHL. Tougher to hide deficiencies on D vs up front (Gomez).

Last edited by JackJ: 08-11-2012 at 07:14 PM.
JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:12 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I still respect him. He played like a boss for us. People turned on him when he lost a fight. The guy was a beast for us and that's why he got a nice contract.
They turned on him when he signed in Toronto, even after his two loss against Lucic people still loved Mike in Montreal. He was indeed a beast and i have nothing but respect for his courage to go three times against Lucic only to gett his body shatered and his soul stolen from him.

The main problem with Mike is that he thinks to highly of himself (but is still a humble guy as he is a good teamate), as every times he gets hit or beaten in a fight he loose his temper and is out of his game and sometimes this can last over many games. He realy need to accept to be beaten or hited with his style of game, that's why guys like Moen or Bouillon can fight and still focus on their tasks.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:13 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan381 View Post
How much trade value does Mike Komisarek actually have?
Depends on whether or not there's a shortage of hockey tape and practice pucks.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

While in Montreal, Mike Komisarek looked better than he really was because he was paired with Andrei Markov who, at that time, was at the top of his game. He only has two good assets: he plays a physical style and he's a leader.

So unless the Leafs (or anyone else) can pair him with a top end defenseman, Komisarek's play will continue to be exposed and criticized.

As for his trade value, his contract makes it very difficult to get anything good in return.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:42 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
If he was a UFA right now, how many team would jump on the opportunity to offer him a 4.500 000$ x 2 years contract ?

It answer all your question about his value.

And keep in mind that 3 years ago, when Komisarek was in his prime, Toronto was the only team in the entire league willing to offer this. Its not like Komisarek incredibly increased his value since them.

Deadline 2014 could be the right timing to trade Komisarek, his value could become slightly positive then since his contract will be almost up and at the deadline, players increase in value. (For pick, Think Kovalev to Pittsburgh for a 7th round draft pick as an example)
The Islanders offered more than Toronto, nice try though.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

hes untouchable

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
hes untouchable
You say that often enough and people will start overpaying.

Old
08-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
exactly

Old
08-11-2012, 10:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
exactly
You have to be patient though, don't give in the first offer.

Old
08-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
Phaneuf can be judged in a similar light, he looked good when he broke into the league playing with Hamrlik to cover his mistakes, after that he was never the same player.
Nothing alike. Phaneuf is better now than he ever was.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:07 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
It would have been a bigger buyout that would have been on the books for 4 years. In this case Burke bought out the right contract although he should have bought out someone like Lombardi instead IMO.
So:

a) Instead of having a 2,166,667 buyout on the books, we'll have 4.5mil sitting in the pressbox or worse playing 15-20 min a night coughing up the puck/caught out of position.
b) Taking up valuable minutes that Gardiner or Holzer could be using to develop.
c) Under the current CBA Armstrong could have been buried in the minors, Komisarek can't.

Quote:
2012-13: $2,166,667
2013-14: $2,166,667
2014-15: $1,166,667
2015-16: $1,166,667
We'll be lucky if we make the playoffs over the next two years let alone contend. Paying $2+ to not have him in the lineup is a classic example of addition by subtraction.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
You have to be patient though, don't give in the first offer.
today he is worth a 7th

next month he is worth a 1st

profit

Old
08-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
Sometimes players instead of paying their agents a commission owe the money more to linemates who made them look better then they were in reality. Komisarek never looked the same after Markov was injured, and of course didn't have anyone like him in Toronto to pair with. Phaneuf can be judged in a similar light, he looked good when he broke into the league playing with Hamrlik to cover his mistakes, after that he was never the same player.
The obvious suggestion being implied here is to pair them together.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Frank Gallagher
"Alcohol is a gift"

http://didgomezscore.com/

Seems a fair swap, Toronto even gets a webpage devoted to their new first line center!

Frank Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:52 AM
HABitual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Nothing alike. Phaneuf is better now than he ever was.
I guess that's why he went from a Norris candidate to voted most overrated by his peers? He has come nowhere near what he was projected to be when he broke into the league. He is still a good defenseman just never lived up to the promise he showed early on.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:03 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Alright, alright...
Two bags of pucks.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

Toronto should not be moving Komisarek. The leafs have the cap space to keep him, and have a lack of physical players on their team. Komisarek will have more value next off-season.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Zathronas

I think the issue with Mike is the way he is used. He was never that physical to begin with, he used to be great at blocking shots and cutting the lanes for Montreal.

I remember the first game after he signed with Toronto it was against Montreal he was actively searching for someone to hit above anything else. The result was he got 3 penalties and Toronto lost the game.

He's been told to play physical and it's ruined his game. I still think he could be good for a team under the right circumstance.

Zathronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:17 AM
nmbr_24

I don't buy that Komisarek has no value and I absolutely hate that guy.

Maybe he doesn't have enough value to get traded right now, but in the last year of his contract at the trade deadline, a team that wants to add a depth D who can play some good minutes when called upon as a 3rd pairing guy, you could do worse than Komisarek.

Besides that, if the Rangers could trade Gomez when he already was proving that he wasn't worth half of what he was getting paid, I think Komisarek could be traded in the right situation.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:38 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Until he can show otherwise, I think he has to be looked at as a weak link on the ice. And an expensive one at that. It seems he needs to be highly insulated to be effective - is it worth it - I don't know?

As far as trade deadline value goes? If I'm a contender, I'd be scared every time he's on the ice. And for that cap hit I gotta think I'd be able to get something better.

It'd be great if he proves me wrong though.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:47 AM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
today he is worth a 7th

next month he is worth a 1st

profit
Philly will overpay because of their lack of blueline depth.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote