HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks not tough enough to succeed in today's NHL?

Old
08-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Elliot20

vCash: 500
Canucks not tough enough to succeed in today's NHL?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rall-toughness

Bleacher Report put Boston Bruins as the team with the best balance of toughness and skill to succeed in today's NHL. Looking at some of the rosters out there, it really makes you take those rose-coloured glasses off. We don't seem that tough when compared to the rest of the NHL. Certainly, we are not the softest, but I think we can do better in this department.

Personally, I think our last two playoff exits were due to lack of physicality and toughness. Boston and LA played a physical game that made it difficult for Canucks to make their "regular-season" plays. We didn't have the space to create anything offensively and this is because we were physically outplayed. You have to fight for space.

The roster hasn't changed much and we can't go into the season status quo. I do think we need to address some toughness in our top 6. Having Garrison instead of Salo is a step in the right direction. Garrison being more physical and hopefully, consistent in the lineup.

This is why I hope Zack Kassian really makes the top 6 throughout the year or Jensen gives everyone a surprise. Especially if we have Schroeder in our top 9 this year, a bigger presence needs to compensate that.

Elliot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
hahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahh ahahahahahahhahahahahhah bleacher report

I disagree with everything you said. Toughness is an answer to "how do they play", NOT "how well do they play"

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:23 PM
jammyrft

We'd be a 100% different team if both Burrows and Kesler played with the same grit and physicallity as when they were young rookies trying to break the team.

If Booth plays a tough, hard nosed style that he's shown flashes us our top 6 wouldn't be so bad. That with Garrison and Kassian I think our team could play a lot tougher then what they've shown the past 4 years. While we don't have a real "force" on our team if everyone played grittier and tougher we have the horses to be a physical team (Kesler, Burrows, Kassian, Bieksa, Higgins, Hansen, Lappy, Ballard, Alberts, Volpatti etc...)

jammyrft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:31 PM
MarkMM

Though it's feeling like he'll stay in Phoenix, if we got Doan and Kassian solidified his play, that'd go a long way. Edler in a contract year (who hits like we see occasionally) and if Bieksa gets his nasty back, added with Garrison, we have a foundation to build on.

Add on a piece at the deadline and I think we'll balance out.

If we don't get Doan, then yeah, we'll need to hone in on adding some meat more urgently.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Edler Revived

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
We'd be a 100% different team if both Burrows and Kesler played with the same grit and physicallity as when they were young rookies trying to break the team.

If Booth plays a tough, hard nosed style that he's shown flashes us our top 6 wouldn't be so bad. That with Garrison and Kassian I think our team could play a lot tougher then what they've shown the past 4 years. While we don't have a real "force" on our team if everyone played grittier and tougher we have the horses to be a physical team (Kesler, Burrows, Kassian, Bieksa, Higgins, Hansen, Lappy, Ballard, Alberts, Volpatti etc...)
I agree we have a good mix of "toughness" and speed to compete and amp up the hitting in a series to the point the other team crosses the line, puts us on the power play....then it will be up to the Sedins and the rest of the power play yet again.....IF there is enough healthy defenders and power play components at the end of a Canuck playoff run, we'll have our cup. We have all the ingredients....just ask the odds makers.

Edler Revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Moore Money

They need more skill not "toughness"

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Overall, Detroit has proved that the skill and puck possession style prevails.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:46 PM
lush
@jasonlush

San Jose ranked tougher than Vancouver? Disagree.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
San Jose ranked tougher than Vancouver? Disagree.
I would. They also have their toughness in their top 9 also.

We have volpatti and weise and kassian who played what, 6 min a game in the playoffs. lol

I truly think if we didn't have Bieksa, we'd be screwed

Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:25 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Bleacher report.......

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Our exits had nothing to do with physicality and toughness and everything to do with not being able to put the puck in the net. How many one-shot scorers do we have on this team? Daniel Sedin doesn't count.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:40 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Up until Boston, we were considered one of the toughest teams and often were running Chicago, Nashville, San Jose out of the building physically. We just couldn't sustain it across the long run and Boston happened to be the better team when it mattered most, Game 7.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:46 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

this is new and exciting. A+ thread would read again, bleacher report always 100% real talk

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:55 PM
MTechnik
Clutch

vCash: 105
Canucks lack skills not toughness.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Lundface

vCash: 50
Need fair reffing..lopsided reffing can make the toughest team undisciplined
and at the same time it can neutralize the most skilled team.

Getting sick with the reffing of this league. Pick one way and STICK WITH IT.

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Bleacher report.......
You say that like there's something questionable about the integrity of a site that churns out ****-disturbing articles in the form of slideshows to squeeze out every last pageview they can get.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:39 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Two Presidents Trophies and a Finals appearance in the last two years. Both times being knocked out by the champs. Undoubtedly the 3rd best team in the league during this stretch.

We may not be tough, but we can succeed.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:43 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureboy1235 View Post
Overall, Detroit has proved that the skill and puck possession style prevails.
They have? When was the last time they won the cup?

The Canucks need toughness in the top 6. The toughness people point to are bottom depth players or healthy scratches. We need some toughness amongst the players who can make a difference and we don't have that.

08-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Cocoa Crisp

It's not toughness per se. It's an inability to crack defenses that collapse on the net, especially in the playoffs when calls are harder to come by and teams have more time to scout us.

A lot of that is coaching. We have enough skill. We could use a bit more toughness because that always helps in a tough series. But it's really been our inability to score against a specific kind of defense that's been our undoing the past two playoffs.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
They have? When was the last time they won the cup?

The Canucks need toughness in the top 6. The toughness people point to are bottom depth players or healthy scratches. We need some toughness amongst the players who can make a difference and we don't have that.
Rick Nash would have been a fantastic add. Hopefully Kassian turns out alright, but it's pretty clear we need that kind of player ASAP.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Our exits had nothing to do with physicality and toughness and everything to do with not being able to put the puck in the net. How many one-shot scorers do we have on this team? Daniel Sedin doesn't count.
I've argued this a million times... what the Canucks have needed recently is a guy who can really score. Especially, in my mind, a guy who can score on the rebound from 5 feet out... a guy who can stand in front of the net, take a lot of punishment, and push the puck over the goal line. A Dave Andreychuk type guy would be perfect... although a Tim Kerr type guy would be better.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
I've argued this a million times... what the Canucks have needed recently is a guy who can really score. Especially, in my mind, a guy who can score on the rebound from 5 feet out... a guy who can stand in front of the net, take a lot of punishment, and push the puck over the goal line. A Dave Andreychuk type guy would be perfect... although a Tim Kerr type guy would be better.
I'd settle for someone who scores period. We haven't had a real goalscorer since Bert and Naslund were in their primes. I'm not discounting what Daniel brings, but he's not a dominant goalscorer. Bert was when he could do his push-off move and Naslund was when he had his shot.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Need more Hordichuk and Eager and Scott.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Shareefruck

We need guys who are stronger and do a better job of fighting for their space, not toughness. If everybody played as hard as Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, etc, who aren't tough-guys by any stretch, we wouldn't have any problems, IMO.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:35 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rall-toughness

Bleacher Report put Boston Bruins as the team with the best balance of toughness and skill to succeed in today's NHL. Looking at some of the rosters out there, it really makes you take those rose-coloured glasses off. We don't seem that tough when compared to the rest of the NHL. Certainly, we are not the softest, but I think we can do better in this department.

Personally, I think our last two playoff exits were due to lack of physicality and toughness. Boston and LA played a physical game that made it difficult for Canucks to make their "regular-season" plays. We didn't have the space to create anything offensively and this is because we were physically outplayed. You have to fight for space.

The roster hasn't changed much and we can't go into the season status quo. I do think we need to address some toughness in our top 6. Having Garrison instead of Salo is a step in the right direction. Garrison being more physical and hopefully, consistent in the lineup.

This is why I hope Zack Kassian really makes the top 6 throughout the year or Jensen gives everyone a surprise. Especially if we have Schroeder in our top 9 this year, a bigger presence needs to compensate that.
I think you are wrong. Saying the Canucks lost to the big bad bruins is just ignoring reality. The Canucks were decimated by injuries.

This year it was pretty obvious they were headed for an early exit. Lazy play for half the season.

Plus someone must have sold their soul for an L.A. win because they had about as easy a run as a team can.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote