HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Introduce Yourself

Old
08-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

vCash: 500

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Nick the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
A fellow Victorian in the tech industry!
Well not really tech - I'm a creative in a tech world

Nick the Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
A fellow Victorian in the tech industry!
You guys must be very old.

08-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
They must work in the steam power industry.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Okay, I'm going to re-write my introduction again, since I felt bad for writting a really bad one the first time around.

Hi, I'm Taelin!

Currently a university student studying criminology and psychology at SFU, and hope to graduate eventually. I'm a Chinese Canadian and also female; needless to say, people don't usually expect me to be a sports fan. Never went far with sports (did figure skating and ballet as a kid), and I loathe to exercise nowadays.

I'm also a hobby musician; did piano, violin, oboe (band) and singing. Huge music geek right here!

First fell in love with the Canucks via Bertuzzi and the WCE era; my first memory of the Canucks was that Wild playoff game (giving up the 3-1 series lead). So, I started kind of late compared to the rest of you guys. Lost interest during the lockout, but hopped back on the bandwagon during the '09 playoffs and never left since! Didn't get a jersey until last year though, since I never had any disposible income until then.

I tend to be hot-headed when arguing and usually make no sense, so don't mind me! Love to use sarcasm too, so I gotta remember to use the smiley all the time.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I'm a Chinese Canadian and also female; needless to say, people don't usually expect me to be a sports fan. Never went far with sports (did figure skating and ballet as a kid), and I loathe to exercise nowadays
I don't find that unusual at all. Canucks crowds are very multicultural. Plus when the local Vancouver networks do street interviews with people during the playoffs I often see Asians of various countries of origin, both male and female.

You just like considering yourself to be unique.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
I don't find that unusual at all. Canucks crowds are very multicultural. Plus when the local Vancouver networks do street interviews with people during the playoffs I often see Asians of various countries of origin, both male and female.

Most are bandwagon though! Let me be special!

Old
08-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Most are bandwagon though! Let me be special!
You're special to me Taelin.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
You're special to me Taelin.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:14 PM
west in the east

I am West. The name came from when I joined I was living in TO and the name line was not long enough for "a western boy in an eastern world".

I'm 28 and have been a fan since the early 90s. In 93 I broke my leg badly and was at children's for a month. A friend of my father's is an agent and he got Ryan Walters and Trevor Linden to gather everyone's autograph and bring them to me in the hospital with a few other things. I have been totally hooked since then.

I am a lawyer working dt and try to catch as much hockey as possible. I am not much of a hockey player, but prefer to ruin my body through rugby. I am also a foodie and this city is great for that. Dinner in Gastown then game = awesome (or vice versa). Chambar or L'Abitoir are great from running into players.

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:11 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy View Post
Well not really tech - I'm a creative in a tech world
Yeah, that's kinda what I mean too. We're not a true "tech/IT" bs company either.

Quote:
I C WUT U DID.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:45 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:

Most of the Asian girls I talk to are just bandwagoners.
They follow it because it seems to be the cool thing to do, or their boyfriend do it.
They know almost nothing about hockey.

Sometimes the conversation even descends into looks...

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
They follow it because it seems to be the cool thing to do, or their boyfriend do it.

Yeah, those are the ones I usually encounter...

Old
08-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post

My opinion is that there are probably no more Asian band-wagoners on a per capita basis than there are any other race.

Old
08-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
My opinion is that there are probably no more Asian band-wagoners on a per capita basis than there are any other race.
As a white person, I'd have to agree.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Shareefruck

Got into hockey at some point between Cloutier letting in that Lidstrom goal, the WCE dominating, Yzerman playing on one knee and the "Jeeeyoooooe-- SAKIC!!" Olympic stuff. Kind of starting to treat it more like a bad habit that I can't shake rather than a passion for the game, but I do love the pure andrenaline and tenacity of it. What gets me most excited about a hockey game isn't the highlight reel stuff, but players like Burrows, Hansen, Chubarov's outright rabid intensity.

Computer programmer, Cantonese, 24 years old, fan of music, film, doodling and introverted stuff like that.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 08-11-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:18 AM
CM-

Quote:
You guys can call me CM.

I was raised (mostly) in Coquitlam on Foster Ave. across from the Vancouver Golf Club. I moved to the Comox Valley in the mid 90's and was a commercial diver for 15 years but after a car accident was unable to continue in that profession because I am now uninsurable. I was a high school dropout so I returned to school (Courtenay campus, North Island College) where I graduated grade 12 and went on to take college courses in creative writing, Canadian history, American history, world history and political science. Plus a couple others that escape my mind at the moment. Since then I've been writing and have been published locally as well in the lower mainland and internationally on the internet. Topics have ranged from American foreign policy in the Middle East to human interest stories. I'm currently working on a screenplay about a remarkable series of events which took place in Vancouver and Coquitlam many years ago.

I am a Vancouver Canucks fan through-and-through. I've been a Canucks fan pretty-much my entire life. Indeed, the Canucks are so tied to significant events in my life that I recall the Canucks in the 1970s when I was beginning to notice that girls had bumps and curves that were beginning to look a little less silly and a helluva lot more attractive. In 1982 when the Canucks made the finals I cheered King Richard and Harry Snepts with all my heart (I've forgiven you for that giveaway Harold). In 1994 I was on high seas in the Queen Charlotte Strait and yelling at a crew boat skipper to hurry the hell up because game 7 was about to begin. I didn't care if he risked my life in doing so. I had to see the game. 2011 - well many of us went through that together right here.

I like fishing, hunting and Harleys and admittedly do not fit the stereotype of people who are native to the Lower Mainland; that being, tree-hugging liberal hippies. My politics are more centrist than that. Nothing against them personally though. Just don't get between me and a deer.

CM
Mr. Mouth you're encroaching on my name good sir.

As for myself I'm born and bred Edmontonian except for the fact that my parents are both Vancouver natives from birth. As an 83 born person and loving hockey from the age of 3. My favorite team until 1989 was Wayne Gretzky. In 1989 I started watching the Canucks with my Dad with my two most memorable moments as a Canuck fan being in 94 and 11 respectively for two very different reasons. (In 1994 it was watching Game 7 with my brother and I blissfully on the floor cheering on Linden/Bure/etc. and my dad getting so Angry at Terry Gregson that he jumped from his seat about 5 feet behind us landing within a few inches of mine and my brother's head.) 2011 was all about getting a chance to come down and watch Game 2 in Person it involved a Ride from Hell (which included a broken alternator and a 5 hour layover in Kamloops to $600/ticket (4 of us went). Only having a 4 day weekend to squish everything in which made for a hard but great time.)

My Favorite Player growing up was Pavel Bure (I wore the number 10 Pretty much every year of minor hockey) I never hit my growth spurt until I had my 15th birthday but I played the game with reckless abandon. My mother now has been recanting me with how many times she had another parent watch me get leveled or be a 5 foot tall player screening the goalie and having a 6 foot defenseman Cross checking me in the back of the head. My mother was asked "Why do you allow your son to play with kids so much bigger than him?" My mother's answer was the same as my favorite coach said about me "He may only be 5 feet tall but he plays like he is 7 feet." I love the game (still do just no chances to play in my off time).

As for HFBoards I started coming here because I was in a lot of FHLSim leagues (still in 1) then started coming on here. I always try and answer people in here with respect and eventhough I'm a diehard Canuck fan and I do love Vancouver. Edmonton is my home and I will defend it viciously against many that only see it for the rough winters we tend to have.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

LB

Currently live in the Persian Gulf and have for the ~6 years.

I got myself center ice and before that ESPN 360 so i can watch any NHL game streams to my HD TV.

Nice to be back in hockey after such a long hiatus.

Became a fan in '81 after going to a game against the blues.

Super fortunate that my father had season tickets in the early '90s including the '94 cup run.

Born and raised for my first 5 in Saskatchewan.

Grew up most of my life in Van. Went to uni there.

After graduating uni i spent 4 years backpacking around the world living and working in Ireland, Scotland and Australia.

Played hockey in my teens along with lacrosse. Sucked at skating so didnt live my dream of making to the NHL. Lol. I did play a few seasons of JrA lacrosse.

Started playing hockey again here in the middle east after a 12 year hiatus.

Expat hockey is awesome as the teams are loaded with people from all over the world. On my team the last year there were 2 brits, 2 slovaks, 1 dutch, 1 swede, and a bunch of canucks but im the only real canuck.

Plus many of the guys go to expat tournaments in places like Bangkok, Singapore, Prague, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur. So it can be considered a luxury beer league.

Although our rink is a hobo rink that looks like something youd find in canada 30 years ago. Love the rink as its a bit of "normalcy" for an expat Canuck.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:53 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
LB

Currently live in the Persian Gulf and have for the ~6 years.

I got myself center ice and before that ESPN 360 so i can watch any NHL game streams to my HD TV.

Nice to be back in hockey after such a long hiatus.

Became a fan in '81 after going to a game against the blues.

Super fortunate that my father had season tickets in the early '90s including the '94 cup run.

Born and raised for my first 5 in Saskatchewan.

Grew up most of my life in Van. Went to uni there.

After graduating uni i spent 4 years backpacking around the world living and working in Ireland, Scotland and Australia.

Played hockey in my teens along with lacrosse. Sucked at skating so didnt live my dream of making to the NHL. Lol. I did play a few seasons of JrA lacrosse.

Started playing hockey again here in the middle east after a 12 year hiatus.

Expat hockey is awesome as the teams are loaded with people from all over the world. On my team the last year there were 2 brits, 2 slovaks, 1 dutch, 1 swede, and a bunch of canucks but im the only real canuck.

Plus many of the guys go to expat tournaments in places like Bangkok, Singapore, Prague, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur. So it can be considered a luxury beer league.

Although our rink is a hobo rink that looks like something youd find in canada 30 years ago. Love the rink as its a bit of "normalcy" for an expat Canuck.
Is there a guy called Kevin McCarthy playing in your league? He used to play in Shanghai with the league I played in.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:01 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Is there a guy called Kevin McCarthy playing in your league? He used to play in Shanghai with the league I played in.
Lol

I actually meant to ask you if you knew him many months ago when you mentioned you played in Shanghai!

Do you talk to him still?

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Lol

I actually meant to ask you if you knew him many months ago when you mentioned you played in Shanghai!

Do you talk to him still?
Nope, I've only seen him twice. He signed up for a full season in Shanghai I believe, but already moved to Dubai at that point I think. I joined the league shortly before he left. Don't know much about him aside from that he was an executive of the league and was then put on the Shanghai Hockey Club Hall of Fame.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:02 PM
hefsbeaver

the name is Hefsbeaver or just Hef. I have been a diehard Nucks fan for as long as I remember and still have a coat I got for x-mas when I was 5 to prove it. My dad got me a Darcy Rota autograph (as he went to school with him) when I was 6 and I thought that was the coolest thing that ever happened.

I am one of the fans who remember haveing a goalender duo of Kevin Weekes and Alfie Michaud so to all canucks fans that ***** on Lu well just remember what we used to go through year in and year out

I live in Prince George and drive the 8 hour one way trip at least once a year to watch the boys play live.... however I now have an 8 month old little boy so that may not happen for a few years.

Growing up my fav player was Toni Tanti, and Trever Linden, the 82 run was cool but for me the best was the 94 and 11 runs. I will stick with this team through all of the **** and have has a talk with my boy that he may never see a cup but we cheer for our favorite team no matter what.

I enjoy hearing from all nucks fans even though I dont always agree. But that is what these forms are for. Enjoy and GO NUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!

hefsbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:10 PM
dwarf

Long time Canuck fan here. I was there for the Snepsts giveaway to Bossy and the Otto kick in goal.

My favorite all time Canuck is Stan Smyl. Tiger a close second, with Ronning my number three. Gotta love a man who would kiss his stick before a faceoff.

The Bure goal vs the Flames game 7 is my all time highlight. I was yelling retribution so loud my friends still remember it. haha.

I am in Victoria, B.C. And try to get over to games as often as I can.

Since 82 I have always either watched the game, or at the very least checked the box score.

I don't post a ton, but I am very passionate about my team.

Go Canucks!

dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:31 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf View Post
Long time Canuck fan here. I was there for the Snepsts giveaway to Bossy and the Otto kick in goal.

My favorite all time Canuck is Stan Smyl. Tiger a close second, with Ronning my number three. Gotta love a man who would kiss his stick before a faceoff.

The Bure goal vs the Flames game 7 is my all time highlight. I was yelling retribution so loud my friends still remember it. haha.

I am in Victoria, B.C. And try to get over to games as often as I can.

Since 82 I have always either watched the game, or at the very least checked the box score.

I don't post a ton, but I am very passionate about my team.

Go Canucks!
Bure's deke against Mike Vernon was one of those goals where everyone who saw it, remembers where they were when he scored.

For me.. a little pub on Pender Island....best drunk ever.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Master Radishes

Wow, there are a lot of Victorians (and Islanders in general) here. Or maybe they're just the chatty ones.

Hi. None of you know me.

That's because I'm a dedicated lurker. I've been lurking on HFboards for a couple years, finally made an account at some point, and now post about once a month. My plan is to continue doing that until my post count is high enough to be respectable, and then everyone will be all "WHO IS THIS AND WHERE DID HE COME FROM" and it'll be fun. And then I might start posting more regularly.

Raised in Nanaimo, moved to Victoria for university a few years ago. Just graduated from UVic as a History major (yay, useless degree!) and will be entering the Education program next month. I love Victoria enough to give it as my hometown when asked, rather than Nanaimo. Unless it's to other Victorians, because then I'll be found out as a fraud.

Been following the Canucks since the mid 90s. I was raised on that late 90s mediocrity, so I never take for granted the team's success. I grow too attached to every player, cherish every game I get to attend (I went to TWO last year!!!), and kill time at bus stops by daydreaming exactly how this year's Cup-winning playoff run will go down. (I'm thinking rematches vs the Kings and Hawks are in order, but I'm not picky who the Eastern opponent is.)

I like dorky things but not geeky things. I enjoy holding unpopular opinions, but dislike arguments. My brain contains a mountain of useless geography trivia but can't quite master the art of short-term memory. I find the taste of alcohol overrated and prefer a bottle of gourmet pop any day of the week.

My next post on HFboards is scheduled for: Sept 13, give or take a week.

Master Radishes is offline   Reply With Quote