HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Parks & Rec Season Premiere ^_^

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2012, 11:35 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm a pretty big Mt Dew drinker and I'm pretty sure I just had one of the best cups ever. I'm very particular about how I drink it. This is cause for a fiesta.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The sad thing is that The Hurt Locker still doesn't even belong in the conversation of worst 'Best Movie' of the past decade or two.

It took the perfect storm for that one to win...and that storm happened. 2008 was the worst year for movies in a good while. Most years there's at least one good alternative to win...but there really wasn't that year. I'm still bitter about the Academy bumping up the nominees all the way to 10, but even with that many nominees there wasn't anything that could even be described as deserving of that award that year.

Avatar - Hah. Titanic blockbustered it's way to winning before, but that was a different era.
The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock pulled off the impossible - winning both a Razzie and Best Actress...but it was a mediocre sports movie wrapped in tears...ugh.
District 9 - Haha, really? It was a fun movie, but let's not take things too seriously here...
An Education - I join everyone else in saying I never saw it and I never heard of it until it was announced as a nominee.
Inglorious Basterds - I really need to see this movie again so I can fully understand it (I paid the American equivalent of $24 to see it subbed in Danish, a language I don't speak...for a normal American movie that's not an issue, but this one was 2/3 in French and German so **** me), but it still doesn't stand up with Tarantino's best.
Precious - No.
A Serious Man - One of the Coen Brothers' few misses. Far from a bad movie, just as far from deserving of being a nominee for Best Picture.
Up - Honestly this would have been my pick...but no animated movie, even from Pixar, is going to win Best Picture.
Up in the Air - Another decent to good movie that doesn't deserve to be in the conversation.

I mean, I love Up...it hit an emotional chord with me and Pixar should win one of these one day...but I don't expect that day will happen until people who watched cartoons past the age of 8 are in the 'Academy' (which is a long ways from happening yet) and even if it did happen Up isn't the best Pixar movie out there...but 2008 was just **** for movies.

To be fair, Best Picture is a pretty terrible award anyway. It's pretty impossible to do an Award Show right without it being a conglomeration of critics...the general public borders on retarded when it comes to the arts and the Academy is a group of old white guys who are trying to cover for the fact that they spent entire lifetimes donating to the campaigns of Strom Thumond and will now vote for whatever is the biggest hot-button topic at the time just so people will stop calling them racist. I mean, how else can you explain Crash winning Best Picture? Good ****ing lord...

I would take this time to argue that it's never going to be a proper 'Best Picture' category until they accept foreign films...but that'll never happen and I've accepted that. Everyone limiting their film choices to American-made (or English speaking) films is severely limiting the amount of awesome that exists out there.
ya that's a nice list of pretty good movies. Nothing that stands out as best picture quality though. My favorite movie of 2009 was probably Moon. Or The Hangover

This last group was pretty bad too.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

vCash: 422
I think the last time I had a Mountain Dew was before I found out that Surge was a thing.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
08-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm a pretty big Mt Dew drinker and I'm pretty sure I just had one of the best cups ever. I'm very particular about how I drink it. This is cause for a fiesta.
nothing about this makes sense to me. are you talking about a specific plastic cup?

Old
08-11-2012, 11:45 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
nothing about this makes sense to me. are you talking about a specific plastic cup?
It's amazing I'm in good shape and i drink this crap. It's so bad for you but so addicting.

But yes.. I only like it really cold and in a glass cup. 24 oz bottles taste weird. 2 Liters but can't be more than 2 days old. I have a Chimay cup I pour it into that looks like a chalice. Makes the drink taste better.

Can't drink it out of a plastic cup or straight from the can either. Tastes like **** that way.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

You drink Mountain Dew out of a chalice?

Hmm.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:48 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

This is the cup i use.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
It's amazing I'm in good shape and i drink this crap. It's so bad for you but so addicting.

But yes.. I only like it really cold and in a glass cup. 24 oz bottles taste weird. 2 Liters but can't be more than 2 days old. I have a Chimay cup I pour it into that looks like a chalice. Makes the drink taste better.

Can't drink it out of a plastic cup or straight from the can either. Tastes like **** that way.
you know adults have a name for a glass cup right? A Glass.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:54 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
you know adults have a name for a glass cup right? A Glass.

You are talking to the two time champ of our fantasy league. Champs don't make mistakes!

Old
08-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:

You are talking to the two time champ of our fantasy league. Champs don't make mistakes!
psh I wasn't even there the first year and last year was rookie nerves. I was too used to roto

Old
08-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

Quote:
This is the cup i use.

You know what I use my Chimay chalice for?

CHIMAY!

Old
08-12-2012, 12:10 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

I do love Chimay....but man is it expensive. It's worthy every pretty penny.

Old
08-12-2012, 12:14 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Mountain Dew? Barf.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
08-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

I just want to let people know that Community is a good show, because I'm sure no one has heard that from me before.

Also Big Mac's beer of choice tonight is:

It's okay. On a scale of anything on CBS to Community, it's a Roseanne.

Old
08-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Saw the Dark Knight Rises tonight. It was a long film, but a good ending to the Nolan trilogy.

Maybe it's because I'd played Arkham City and sort of follow the comics, but I saw the Tate thing coming a couple of scenes into her debut in the movie.

Old
08-12-2012, 08:17 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is the cup i use.

Yeah that Chimay beer looks damn good. I haven't tried any yet but am considering it. If I recall correctly, I think the LCBO (Ontario liqour stores) has gift packs of it that have a few bottles of it and one of those fancy branded chalices for sale during the holiday season. Or at least they did a few years ago. Aside from a few common things, I never know if the LCBO holiday gift release list is the same year in year out.

On another slightly more annoying note, it looks like the water pump on my second Keurig coffee brewer (aka the free replacement brewer that Keurig sent me last summer when my first one bit the dust) is toast or almost toast. Sure after I move I'm 99% sure I can get them to send me another free replacement when I call customer service, but the fact that this one has only lasted me a year (versus my first one that lasted 2 or 3 years) is ****ing annoying.

With the amount I've spent on K-cups over the years (and how expensive the machines are or were) you'd think they'd last more than a year. And it's not like they are unaware of this water pump problem, so why don't they shut up and just fix it once and for all instead of putting out these new models of Keurig brewers I.E. the Vue?

Old
08-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Borgir

Quote:
The sad thing is that The Hurt Locker still doesn't even belong in the conversation of worst 'Best Movie' of the past decade or two.

It took the perfect storm for that one to win...and that storm happened. 2008 was the worst year for movies in a good while. Most years there's at least one good alternative to win...but there really wasn't that year. I'm still bitter about the Academy bumping up the nominees all the way to 10, but even with that many nominees there wasn't anything that could even be described as deserving of that award that year.

Avatar - Hah. Titanic blockbustered it's way to winning before, but that was a different era.
The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock pulled off the impossible - winning both a Razzie and Best Actress...but it was a mediocre sports movie wrapped in tears...ugh.
District 9 - Haha, really? It was a fun movie, but let's not take things too seriously here...
An Education - I join everyone else in saying I never saw it and I never heard of it until it was announced as a nominee.
Inglorious Basterds - I really need to see this movie again so I can fully understand it (I paid the American equivalent of $24 to see it subbed in Danish, a language I don't speak...for a normal American movie that's not an issue, but this one was 2/3 in French and German so **** me), but it still doesn't stand up with Tarantino's best.
Precious - No.
A Serious Man - One of the Coen Brothers' few misses. Far from a bad movie, just as far from deserving of being a nominee for Best Picture.
Up - Honestly this would have been my pick...but no animated movie, even from Pixar, is going to win Best Picture.
Up in the Air - Another decent to good movie that doesn't deserve to be in the conversation.

I mean, I love Up...it hit an emotional chord with me and Pixar should win one of these one day...but I don't expect that day will happen until people who watched cartoons past the age of 8 are in the 'Academy' (which is a long ways from happening yet) and even if it did happen Up isn't the best Pixar movie out there...but 2008 was just **** for movies.

To be fair, Best Picture is a pretty terrible award anyway. It's pretty impossible to do an Award Show right without it being a conglomeration of critics...the general public borders on retarded when it comes to the arts and the Academy is a group of old white guys who are trying to cover for the fact that they spent entire lifetimes donating to the campaigns of Strom Thumond and will now vote for whatever is the biggest hot-button topic at the time just so people will stop calling them racist. I mean, how else can you explain Crash winning Best Picture? Good ****ing lord...

I would take this time to argue that it's never going to be a proper 'Best Picture' category until they accept foreign films...but that'll never happen and I've accepted that. Everyone limiting their film choices to American-made (or English speaking) films is severely limiting the amount of awesome that exists out there.
The Turd Locker is absolutely terrible, I am still wondering how it won. The Artist was brilliant, sometimes they get it right....

Old
08-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Borgir

Quote:
I just want to let people know that Community is a good show, because I'm sure no one has heard that from me before.

Also Big Mac's beer of choice tonight is:

It's okay. On a scale of anything on CBS to Community, it's a Roseanne.
It is a good show, it's too bad about the move to Friday nights, the loss of Dan Harmon and the shortened season...

Old
08-12-2012, 10:00 AM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Yeah, if you haven't seen this movie properly, you have to make it a priority to do so.

It was up there with Tarantino's other films. There were several fantastic scenes that were scripted and shot perfectly. The scene in La Louisianne (the German bar) had incredible tension buildup and release. The character of Hans Landa was amazingly terrible. He was so scary and intense that you start to admire him even though he is an awful person. Brad Pitt's character has a tremendous scene towards the end of the movie.

There were a few spots where it fell flat a little bit, but all of Tarantino's movies have a flat spot or two here and there. I never really loved the Fabienne scenes in Pulp Fiction and those are the only scenes in that movie that I think are tedious and not perfect. I also never really loved the O-Ren Ishii backstory portion of Kill Bill. I was never a huge fan of some of the flashbacks into the character of Mr. Orange in Reservoir Dogs either.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Smoke
The Taxman

vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Has anyone played Slender? Scariest ****ing game ever.
Playing with headphones on and volume at the max is the best. Really gets the blood flowing.

It is free and worth the time for most horror game enthusiasts.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:37 AM
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid

Quote:
This is the cup i use.

That's almost sacrilege Chimay is awesome. Can't drink it too cold, though, or the deliciousness is impaired.

Has anyone here ever tried Chouchen? I'm kind of middle of the road when it comes to mead ... I keep meaning to try this place every time I'm in Columbus, but never seem to actually make it there http://brothersdrake.com/index.php?/home

Old
08-12-2012, 11:57 AM
End of Line
Human After All

CM Punk, thoughts on the USA's performance in London this year?

Old
08-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:

USA!

Old
08-12-2012, 01:03 PM
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid

Quote:

Old
08-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
back from camping. will report more later.

Closed Thread