HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zibanejad-Centre or Winger?

View Poll Results: Will Mika Zibanejad play centre or winger with the Senators?
Centre 22 20.56%
Wing 85 79.44%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-09-2012, 08:42 AM
miser

vCash: 500
He should start at wing to learn the North American game.
There is too much defensive responsibility to learn at centre while adjusting to the game. Besides playing with Turris (who is really good defensively) and Alfie on the second line would be a better learning experience than playing in Bingo.

miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:42 AM
DonthaveaCOWEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by miser View Post
He should start at wing to learn the North American game.
There is too much defensive responsibility to learn at centre while adjusting to the game. Besides playing with Turris (who is really good defensively) and Alfie on the second line would be a better learning experience than playing in Bingo.
This. It's actually the exact opposite you would typically say in regards to a highly skilled euro transitioning to North America, but I don't want this kid having to focus on defensive play. He already has it, and in his time here last year, he was too defensively cautious almost to a fault. The organization needs to focus on bringing out his potential run and gun high tempo offensive side.

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Turris definitely has a lock on the second line centre position going into next season, but his long-term future with Ottawa is far from a certainty. He's 23 years old so it's reasonable to think he should be headed into his peak offensive years soon.

Zibanejad is still only 19 and was a very young 18 year-old when he was drafted.

If Turris doesn't take the full-season leap that we are hoping for, it's not unreasonable to see Zibanejad in the #2 spot in a few years, barring some kind of miraculous recovery from Regin. Acquiring Turris keeps this young kid from being rushed into that job, and allows us to take a chance on a more mature kid with some offensive potential who is ideally waiting to break out. But if Turris doesn't work out long-term, the best guy in the system who will be coming along looking for that job will be Zibby. And as mentioned, we might even roll the two of them as a #2a and #2b for awhile.

Scoring depth at centre is only going to get more important over the next few years as Spezza gets into his 30s. We lean very heavily on our #1 centre.

I still see Zibanejad as a centre, and very much part of our long-term plans at that position, regardless of where he plays this year.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
and all I said was that he is adjusting to wing. He will probably be equally as good at both... he's an intelligent player.
Not much of a consensus on the whole intelligent player thing

Minister of Offence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
I know it's unlikely to happen, but I'd sure like to see a Silfverberg - Zibanejad - Alfredsson line at some point.

I think Turris is going to break out though. He was pretty good once he got settled last year. I think he's got that #2 C job locked up for the foreseeable future.

I really like Smith and JOB as well. Obviously someone is going to have to move to the wing, or we'll be making trades.

Depth is good though. Someone is bound to get injured at some point.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:54 PM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I know it's unlikely to happen, but I'd sure like to see a Silfverberg - Zibanejad - Alfredsson line at some point.
Would that give us a Turris - Spezza - Michalek line then? Not sure Turris goes to lines 3 or 4.

Would leave us with something around

Smith - O'Brien - Neil
Greening - Regin - Condra
Daugavins

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:20 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
oh great, the guy who reads Ottawa Sun articles and internet posts to determine his opinion of a prospect.

He sure looked he had great hockey sense and chemistry playing centre with Petersson and Prince. I'm guessing your basing your opinion on him based on his 9 game stint and the world juniors.

New guy calling me out.

You're dead wrong on my prospect knowledge and specifically my viewings of Zib.

You know nothing about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
When did Fisher refuse to play wing? He clearly played better at centre, but they tried him at wing and I don't remember him complaining or refusing to play there.
I think there were some statements by him saying that he much preferred centre and didn't want to play wing.

I could be wrong though.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:42 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

That's still not refusing to play there.

Maybe it was just too hard of an adjustment for him.

You'd think it would be easier to play wing, and you'd think that Fisher's bang and crash style would have made him a natural winger...but I guess not.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:58 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
oh great, the guy who reads Ottawa Sun articles and internet posts to determine his opinion of a prospect.
Marklar, you seem to have a good sense of knowledge when it comes to the Sens and their prospects but the tone you use to address others' opinions is rather annoying early on. Especially for a new poster who isn't accustomed to the higher level of sarcasm and "inside references" that we like to use a lot here.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Marklar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Marklar, you seem to have a good sense of knowledge when it comes to the Sens and their prospects but the tone you use to address others' opinions is rather annoying early on. Especially for a new poster who isn't accustomed to the higher level of sarcasm and "inside references" that we like to use a lot here.
Pardon me? You know what they say about people who live in glass houses. I guess it's ok for people with 11,400+ posts to look down upon other posters and constantly use "LMAO" and "LOL" to berate people and their opinions. Unbelievable.

Marklar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Pardon me? You know what they say about people who live in glass houses. I guess it's ok for people with 11,400+ posts to look down upon other posters and constantly use "LMAO" and "LOL" to berate people and their opinions. Unbelievable.
He's done nothing to deserve that hate.

Maybe someone like myself has, but he's completely correct in what he's said. That goes for me as well, I'm well aware of that. For someone who has directly called me out (rightfully so) for accusing you of your knowledge on prospects, it's a shame seeing you do the exact same thing.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Marklar*

in my post to DJB, I was referring to the Mike Fisher part, as I have seen way too many folks say he's going to be Mike Fisher because of Don Brennan's article in the Sun.

if I lumped DJB with others by mistake, I apologize wholeheartedly. I can't generalize.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:20 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
I'm sorry, what? No further comment. Thanks for the chuckle.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:00 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
He did play there at times. I never heard him complain about it either.

Really Fisher in theory should have been a great winger.

I'm not sure why it never worked out.
We went through a lot coaches while Fisher was here, all of them seemed to want to keep the Selke nominee with above average face-off ability who was producing just fine at center. Vermette was his only real competition for most of that time. Even amongst Ottawa's history of 2nd line C's, I'm not sure that any of them could have won the job outright over Fisher. We've just never had an extra 1st line center laying around to play above him.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:10 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

If Zibanejad is as good as Fisher, we are lucky.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:14 AM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

vCash: 125
Quote:
If Zibanejad is as good as Fisher, we are lucky.
If he puts up Jamie Benn numbers in the first five years in the NHL, I won't be surprised. He might not get the same opportunities (first line minutes, great linemates), but I'm sure that's management's hopes for him. He's got the hands, the size, the speed, the drive, and all the tools to be a force in this league.

If he turns out to be as good as Fisher, we will be lucky, but that doesn't mean we can't be disappointed. He's a strong prospect who hasn't developed into an NHL-ready player, and all of his tools IMO are at the level of Fisher or greater. Why are we not allowed to expect great things of this player?

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:16 PM
This
That

Thought this should be here, didn't think it needed its own thread.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10964

Zibanejad in AHL or NHL next season no matter what. Something I think we all knew already, but nice to get confirmation.

Likely winger, unless he ends up being a third line, energy/secondary offensive centre.

This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
tony d
The franchise

At wing. A 2nd line of Silfverg, Turris and Zibanejad would be a great one.

08-10-2012, 01:13 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Hmmm, where have we all heard that before.

Mike Fisher 2.0

At least Z is willing to play the wing unlike Fish.
That's nonsense, Fisher played wing several times when Regin first started & played centre. Unfortunately for Regin he kept getting injured which forced Fisher back to centre. Ottawa just didn`t have anyone else on the roster who was a better 2nd line centre than Fisher, now they may. Interesting to see that Fisher is ranked 92nd on TSN's best player list one spot ahead of Brad Richards lol & still playing 2nd line centre.

My guess is that Zibanejad will likely play RW although I too like him at centre. It depends on whether Regin can complete a full season, if Maidens can get over his concussion issues & play in the NHL & what happens with JOB, Z. Smith & Grant three more good centres with size. Also Zibanejad may be too good to keep on the 3rd line & he isn`t going to pass Spezza & Turris anytime soon at centre. He could however replace Alfredsson/Michalek some day but he will have to beat out Noesen & Stone at RW. I see Zibane starting the yr in Bingo.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:23 PM
SebFromHawk
Sinking With Ship

I think he's got Top 6 potential. Being that there's no room in the middle at the moment and in the near future, they might was well condition him to a flank. Just my 2 cents.

SebFromHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:08 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Not much of a consensus on the whole intelligent player thing
Anyone who see's the ice and has a shot like Zibanejad, seems talented and intelligent. His break in for the golden goal was pure intelligence coupled with a bit of skill. His goal off the wall in preseason for the Senators was pure skill. The Murray's rate his shot as a 10/10, the most NHL ready of a lot of our prospects. He played on a piss poor team that is now relegated to the B league in the SEL... that wasn't Zibanejad's fault.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:03 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 200
Fantastic to hear from T. Murray that Z is well capable of playing either wing position. Greatly improves his chances of cracking the top 6 and helps ease the stock of prospects on the right side.

With Noesen, Stone and Silf battling on the right side, having Z play left is fantastic.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:13 AM
newerabegins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Fantastic to hear from T. Murray that Z is well capable of playing either wing position. Greatly improves his chances of cracking the top 6 and helps ease the stock of prospects on the right side.

With Noesen, Stone and Silf battling on the right side, having Z play left is fantastic.
silf is a right wing?? i thought left...

newerabegins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Marklar*

Silfverberg is a left winger. Hasn't played RW in ages.

Old
08-12-2012, 09:26 AM
sg58

Quote:
Silfverberg is a left winger. Hasn't played RW in ages.
Played at left earlier and with the national team this year.

Swedes are usually pretty indifferent to which wing they play anyway, for whatever reason.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote