Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Windsor Spitfires completely deny all accusations put forward by OHL

Old
08-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Spitsfan67*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Our OHL championship was built through the draft and 1 good trade (Downie) we didn't pay anybody too be here... I can honestly say I'm proud of that as a Petes fan. People will always remember Windsors 2 memorial cups as "bought teams"
we had Taylor Hall, Henrique,Nemiz,Wellwood,Zack Kassian,Dale Michell,Justin Shugg,Ryan Ellis,Loktionov,Timmins,Cundari,Macdirmid.....so we would have still won it with those guys for are 2 runs k so stop saying it was. bought....who cares about 4 goal Jack that guy was useless....are team was the best team by miles those years

Last edited by Majik1987: 08-11-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: flaming
Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:06 PM
aresknights

Aahhhh revisionist history

They were the best, because they won.

By miles? Mayb not so much. A 5 OT series which featured games they often trailed ( yes they were better, but it was competitive)
And down 3-0, that was tight

But yes they were the best. Would they have been with a tweak or
2 here and there? ( were still not sure which players were involved) No one can say for sure cause it didn't happen

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:17 PM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
we had Taylor Hall, Henrique,Nemiz,Wellwood,Zack Kassian,Dale Michell,Justin Shugg,Ryan Ellis,Loktionov,Timmins,Cundari,Macdirmid.....so we would have still won it with those guys for are 2 runs k so stop saying it was. bought....who cares about 4 goal Jack that guy was useless....are team was the best team by miles those years
They were the best team....the best team that got caught cheating. And to fan that said it isn't cheating unless you're caught...it's always cheating and those other teams which are so flagrant about it will be caught eventually.

Last edited by Majik1987: 08-11-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: qe
TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:25 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
And to fan that said it isn't cheating unless you're caught...it's always cheating
Please enlighten us to how it can be cheating if no evidence points to it being cheating? You're not a cheat..until you're caught cheating. It's elementary. It's an accusation until something is proven.

PhlyerPhanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Please enlighten us to how it can be cheating if no evidence points to it being cheating? You're not a cheat..until you're caught cheating. It's elementary. It's an accusation until something is proven.
It's elementary school thinking if that's what you mean. If I shoplift, I'm a thief, whether I'm caught or not. If you cheat, you're a cheater whether you're caught or not. The only difference is whether or not everyone else knows you cheated.

And you're right that they haven't been found guilty...yet. So I guess that makes them as innocent as OJ. Congrats!

Old
08-11-2012, 07:09 PM
kodiak9

Quote:
They were the best team....the best team that got caught cheating. And to fan that said it isn't cheating unless you're caught...it's always cheating and those other teams which are so flagrant about it will be caught eventually.
Oh it will be proven

kodiak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:06 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
WOW. An argument could be made that Windsor doesn't come back against Kitchener down 3-1 without Fowler in 2010.
I'd imagine the other 21 guys on the roster would argue that.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:15 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

i always knew there was something a Fowl (er) in Windsor

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:24 AM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I'd imagine the other 21 guys on the roster would argue that.
And perhaps Ben Johnson would have won the gold medal without the steroids. The problem is that once something is tainted, then it's tough to look past the offending issue.

Old
08-12-2012, 01:02 AM
hockeyboy4

whatever this isn't going to stop me from loving my team. i will keep my season tickets and still go to every game and i hope most fans do too. i hope this wont affect the team this year and hopefully they can make a good run for the championship this year with a pretty solid team in my opinion, most likely all the older players will be traded and i hope windsor hosts next year which there probably is a good chance they will with a good team and amazing complex or branch is compleatly *****d up. i cant wait for windsor to win in the future and the crowds reaction to david branch... go spits!

hockeyboy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:33 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
And perhaps Ben Johnson would have won the gold medal without the steroids. The problem is that once something is tainted, then it's tough to look past the offending issue.
No it's not. Johnson was in an individual competition, the Spitfires aren't. At MOST, Johnson was 25% of the people involved. The Spitfires? 8% at most?

Old
08-12-2012, 08:09 AM
hullsy47

rumor is ,some american players /parents have signed letters that could stand up in court
that 400 ,000 thousand bucks should go back into loca grassroots hockey .....not attracting kids from other countries .....ticket prices go up a 1$ beer up ,50....and u get your fine paid
i doubt branch would come out in every major news agency in the country without positive proof .
lets hope rychel aint been parading around the midwest this summer dangling sugarplums ,this team may not draft in the first round again till will 2020 ffs

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Spitsfan67*

Branch went After One Of the Best first Don't worry the chips will start to fall and Londons,Kitchener,Sarnia and probably other teams in ohl and the CHL for that matter WILL get caught just a matter of time so all you fans ripping into the spits....you'll get your turn..Branch is just starting with the best

Last edited by Majik1987: 08-12-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: no need
Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:04 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Branch went After One Of the Best first Don't worry the chips will start to fall and Londons,Kitchener,Sarnia and probably other teams in ohl and the CHL for that matter WILL get caught just a matter of time so all you fans ripping into the spits....you'll get your turn..Branch is just starting with the best
or maybe..just maybe.. the entire league WAS investigated..and Windsor was the ONLY team to break the rules...hence the hefty fine and penalty. The other side of the coin is also a possibility..remember that.

I've seen very little flaming of the Spitfires on any boards I post on. The most mudslinging I've seen has been from Spits fans telling every other fan base their day will come...and resorting to some pretty low ball comments. Most fans..while they may detest the Spits,or Knights,or Rangers or any other team..are OHL fans 1st and foremost and really want to know what happened. To get up in arms and start calling out everyone else doesn't solve anything.

Last edited by Majik1987: 08-12-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: qe
Old
08-12-2012, 12:35 PM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
No it's not. Johnson was in an individual competition, the Spitfires aren't. At MOST, Johnson was 25% of the people involved. The Spitfires? 8% at most?
It isn't the people involved that matter but the advantage given by the cheating. Fowler may have been 1 of 20 players, but he hardly represented 1/20th of the team.

Either way, everyone has known for a long time this has been going on and it's nice that the OHL has been able to find enough evidence to heavily punish one of the obvious offenders. It would be too bad if the OHL couldn't find enough evidence to punish London and Kitchener along with them as that would only be fair. At least with this action, we can only hope these teams will think twice in the future.

And to be honest, if I was a fan of Windsor, I don't think I would have been complaining too much that my management was doing things which were rumoured to be underhanded. I would have enjoyed winning.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:17 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
It isn't the people involved that matter but the advantage given by the cheating. Fowler may have been 1 of 20 players, but he hardly represented 1/20th of the team.
If you take out Fowler, you don't lose the Cup. It might be more difficult, to some degree, to win it, but you're not going to lose it all together.

Old
08-12-2012, 03:37 PM
ImaBullsfan

I Speak for many OHL fans in smaller markets.....ITS ABOUT TIME....

ImaBullsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:51 PM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
If you take out Fowler, you don't lose the Cup. It might be more difficult, to some degree, to win it, but you're not going to lose it all together.
The problem with a comment like this is that nobody knows what would happen. You can go ahead and assume it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but you just don't know. And if Windsor didn't need him, why cheat to get him (assuming he's one of the two players)?

Windsor may very well have won without Fowler and whoever player #2 was, but we don't know for sure.

And back to the 8% comment you made earlier, Reggie Bush was one of 56 players on any given game-day roster, but because USC cheated in providing him with extra's, they were stripped of their championship. I don't think the OHL will or even should do that, but it's something to keep in mind.

Old
08-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Would the Spitfires have beaten London in that series that went to 5 OT's?......Tough to say!
IMHO, th Spitfires would not have won that series. (see below though)

It also depends of course who would be in the line-up in place of Fowler? Maybe Rychel would've traded for DelZotto instead of London.
Not having Folwer in the line-up may have created all different types of scenerios which no one has the crystal ball to.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:44 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Would the Spitfires have beaten London in that series that went to 5 OT's?......Tough to say!
IMHO, th Spitfires would not have won that series. (see below though)

It also depends of course who would be in the line-up in place of Fowler? Maybe Rychel would've traded for DelZotto instead of London.
Not having Folwer in the line-up may have created all different types of scenerios which no one has the crystal ball to.
Fowler didn't play for the 2009 Spitfires that won the 5 OT series against London...but anyways

One player wouldn't have made a difference in that series. That was arguably the best Junior series I've ever witnessed and I've been following the OHL for close to 40 years. A team won that series..not one player.

Last edited by PhlyerPhanatic: 08-12-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old
08-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Fowler didn't play for the 2009 Spitfires that won the 5 OT series against London...but anyways

One player wouldn't have made a difference in that series. That was arguably the best Junior series I've ever witnessed and I've been following the OHL for close to 40 years. A team won that series..not one player.
You're 100% correct on Fowler!!

But IMHO you're wrong on the other part on one player not making the difference......who's that one player that made the difference?

...Trevor Cann!
I guess it goes with the position??

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:17 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:
no,it's just the 1st team he actually has proof that they broke the rules.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:19 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:

I have a bit of a problem with with people saying that one player wouldnt have made a difference. One player creates a ripple effect, one that could have gone either way good or bad.

For arguements sake, lets take out Fowler (using Windsor as the example). There is a hole now in the lineup. They fill that hole with "X" player. Does that player have the same skill set? Does that player make that same pivotal decision in one play that could have turned a tide in one game? Does that game alter the series?

In turn, does that player create the same chemistry with his D partner or other players on the ice? What about the chemistry in the dressing room?

There are so many factors one player or one decision make on a team. And for those naming the rest of the roster and that it's not possible, you can not say that. You don't know which player(s) may be traded to acquire "X" player to fill that hole. Maybe other players that stay are asked to do more and can not handle the task.

All's I am saying is that you can not make claims that things would have been the same with any alterations to the roster or its makeup/chemistry.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:34 AM
OHLTG

To the same extent that one cannot say things would have changed if one player was removed from the line-up (unless that player is Dale Mitchell, then Windsor probably doesn't beat Rimouski).

Old
08-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Jackman

It would appear that the Spitfire's management team felt that an individual player can be the difference between winning or losing a championship otherwise they wouldn't have allegedly paid to recruit the player.

Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote