HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

It's August -- Why is Abdelkader Still Unsigned? (Signed to 4-yr deal, $1.7M per)

Old
08-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I agree that KH probably has a structure he wants to maintain, which perhaps I agree with more for the lower end guys. I go worry when he tries to do that with the top end when he's going after elite UFAs.

As for dangling Abby, wouldn't his value be greater if he were signed?
If we weren't in the running for the guy we really wanted, and was out of the race early, I'd be more concerned. As it is, we lost out to family. We can go back and forth about how if maybe the Wings had offered more Suter would have changed his mind, but I don't see it.

With Abby, I think it depends on the deal. We might be fine signing him up a bit cheaper for a year, someone else might want to throw more money at him and wrap him up for four or five years. I can see both options being appealing and it depends who we're looking to deal with.

08-11-2012, 11:17 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Without abby babby.

Filppula - Datsyuk - Nyqvist/Brunner/Tatar
Franzen - Zetterberg - Samuelsson
Cleary - Helm - Bertuzzi
Miller - Emmerton - Tootoo

Eaves is injured (?) and Mursak sucks.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:52 PM
fimoknete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
There's no sense in this comment and some other comments here which somehow dislike Abdelkader. Abdelkader is an important asset for the Red Wings, period. I just can't believe what I'm reading here.
well, is he on the team because he is a important asset or just because we have nothing better to offer.

this guys is not hitting, he is trying to hit.
this guy is not fighting, he ist trying to fight.
this guys is not playing hockey, he is trying to play.

at least he is trying. but do that in school and you can repeat the last class.
just trying not to fail is not good enough when other team simply not fail. same counts for ken holland. why does everybody compare our player only to other player of our team. aren't there 29 other teams out there we have to beat? put our 4th line vs the kings 4th and we get destroyed. so it doesnt matter wether gator is a better player then some ahl guys we have. if he cant beat the 4th line guys of other teams he is just failing.
the only thing what counts is the result. and almost every player in the nhl and ahl can achieve the same results of gator. he is just an expendable.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:58 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
A couple summers ago, Babs was pumping up Abby's tires, talking about how he was going to be the third line center, relegated Helm to the 4th line...... which made me lose my cool..... but now Helm is the core player is Abby is dirt. (Not saying this is your position, but the general overtone on the board.)
A couple of years ago is a long time in hockey years though. Players' games develop differently.

Abby isn't dirt by no means, but he's developed into a secondary piece. Which player would be more difficult to replace and which player would Detroit least like to lose? I think the answer would be obvious. Abby can be an effective grinding bottom 6 winger (still has shown a better game on the the wing than in the middle), but Helm has an elite talent (speed) that allows him to have a bigger impact on the game shift after shift. When Helm was absent last year, the lack of speed (compared to when he's on the ice) in the bottom 6 was painfully obvious.

Helm's simply more valuable to this organization.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:01 AM
FabricDetails

Where are the reports that say he's looking for 2 million?

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:45 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Abdelkader is an important asset for the Red Wings, period. I just can't believe what I'm reading here.

Team management wants to build this team harder to play against and build a physical 4th line. Signing Tootoo and letting Abdelkader walk DOES NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE in the

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...rom-s-decision

EDIT:
I don't agree. No one has mentioned yet that Tootoo is easily the faster and more technically skilled skater. He finishess his hits down low as opposed to easily being sidestepped and bouncing off the glass.

Tootoo can also fight instead of being a punching bag

RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Maize and Blue

Hope we throw the mouth breather in a package for an upgrade on d or wing!

Maize and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:49 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
Thing is that Malts and Tootoo (are we going to call him Toots?) aren't fighters and Abby has been trying to fight.

That's not true. Tootoo can scrap.

Old
08-12-2012, 12:49 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
He lead all forwards on the team by over 50 hits and was ranked in the top 50 in the league so either you have a different opinion than the NHL on what constitutes a hit or you're just incorrect on that one.

Quote:
Agreed

Quote:
Abdelkader put up more points than the LA Kings entire 4th line combined, offensively he's one of the better 4th liners in the league.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:11 AM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySheppard View Post
Yep. Tootoo is built like a tank. Real strong and he can throw them when he wants too. He'd kill Abdelkader in a fight. Wouldn't even be close IMO.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:

That's not what I said. He's not a fighter, along the lines of a Parros or guy you'd designate as your enforcer. Shanny could fight too, but does that mean he was the team enforcer?

Tootoo is an agitator and a guy that tries to get under everyone's skin, off their game. I think this a big difference.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:52 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
That's not what I said. He's not a fighter, along the lines of a Parros or guy you'd designate as your enforcer. Shanny could fight too, but does that mean he was the team enforcer?

Tootoo is an agitator and a guy that tries to get under everyone's skin, off their game. I think this a big difference.
I didn't say he was an "enforcer". I said he can fight, and he can. We haven't had an 'enforcer' since Downey chickened out against a Buffalo goon in the pre season a few years ago and got cut.

Last edited by RaySheppard: 08-12-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old
08-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Crymson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Also, Gator's at least passable at center.
He demonstrated very well last season that he's nearly useless at center.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:01 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
Yes. As well as crippiling the the team in the playoffs with the most idiotic of penalties at the worst possible times, the last couple of years. The guy is an AHL player. Buh Bye punching bag.

Old
08-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
20+ points, +4 and won 52.9% of his faceoffs while taking the fourth most faceoffs on the team. We might like him more at wing, but the guy held his own at center for the bulk of the regular season.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:11 AM
WorkingOvertime

Quote:
Yes. As well as crippiling the the team in the playoffs with the most idiotic of penalties at the worst possible times, the last couple of years. The guy is an AHL player. Buh Bye punching bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
20+ points, +4 and won 52.9% of his faceoffs while taking the fourth most faceoffs on the team. We might like him more at wing, but the guy held his own at center for the bulk of the regular season.
Abby is a fine player. He has as much or more points than most fourth liners, and his linemates have mediocre his entire NHL career. He has spent time centering May, Emmerton, Maltby, etc. and has managed to keep those lines passable. Abby is a complementary player. He has good vision and puck control, but he cannot control the play himself. Having the aforementioned players on his line hasn't helped his play.

Abby drew more penalties than he took last season. Watch the entire game, and you will see this happen.

Abby losing a fight to Clowe and others isn't his fault, it's the Wings fault. He is the only player that the opposing team will go after because he is the only player that will stand up for himself and his team every game. Do you think the Bruins would let Clowe fight Kelly (who fights ~3 times a season)? Why do you think Thornton would step in for any teammate?

Abby does fine fighting players like Ott, Lapierre, Perry, etc. He isn't supposed to be fighting Clowe, but he does it for himself and for the team.

WorkingOvertime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

because he is redundant and will be involved as part of any pckg if we trade for a dman.

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:12 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
because he is redundant and will be involved as part of any pckg if we trade for a dman.
I highly doubt that, until they sign him all they can trade is his rights and rights aren't worth much at all.

I'm sure he's available if a team asks for him but I doubt he's been involved much in trade talks.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:15 AM
WorkingOvertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post

Who else on the team will do these things?

Who else on the team will be 50%+ in the face off circle besides Dats?

Who else on the team will have 125+ hits as a forward?

Who else on the team can do all of these things? No one.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:24 AM
WorkingOvertime

Quote:
well, is he on the team because he is a important asset or just because we have nothing better to offer.

at least he is trying. but do that in school and you can repeat the last class.
just trying not to fail is not good enough when other team simply not fail. same counts for ken holland. why does everybody compare our player only to other player of our team. aren't there 29 other teams out there we have to beat? put our 4th line vs the kings 4th and we get destroyed. so it doesnt matter wether gator is a better player then some ahl guys we have. if he cant beat the 4th line guys of other teams he is just failing.
the only thing what counts is the result. and almost every player in the nhl and ahl can achieve the same results of gator. he is just an expendable.
Which 12 forwards on this roster are better than Abby?
http://kings.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

In what dimension are Lewis, Fraser, Nolan, Clifford, Westgarth better than Abby? Would you prefer Lewis' 7 points in 72 games? Fraser's 8 points in 67 games? They were both minus players as well.

Who on the Kings fourth line scored more points than Abby last season? None.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Vladdy84
NO HALF MEASURES KEN

The bashing of Gator is disgusting. Can we just go back to picking on Emmerton? Now that guy sucks.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingOvertime View Post

Bertuzzi, Ericsson, Miller, Datsyuk has sneaky hitting ability, Smith plays a physical game too, etc.

Quote:
Helm and Zetterberg were only 1-3% lower than Abdelkader and took waaay more draws than he did

Quote:
The stat is inaccurate and misleading, but Tootoo will hit that mark again.

Quote:
Who else on the team can do all of these things?
Quite a few... For around his asking price or less too.

Kronwalled55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:

Who else on the team can do all of these things? No one.
nobody in the history of the world is my guess....

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:15 PM
WorkingOvertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post

Bertuzzi, Ericsson, Miller, Datsyuk has sneaky hitting ability, Smith plays a physical game too, etc.

Helm and Zetterberg were only 1-3% lower than Abdelkader and took waaay more draws than he did

The stat is inaccurate and misleading, but Tootoo will hit that mark again.

Quite a few... For around his asking price or less too.
Everyone on the Wings can hit, but they don't hit enough. One or two big hits a season do not wear down other teams, consistently hitting does. If you think the Wings are physical enough, that's fine, but they are not a physical team when you consider the 29 other NHL teams. Less than 100 hits per season is not enough for a physical player.

They took more draws, but they weren't as successful. Further, you need 4 centers on an NHL team, not three. If ~500 is too small a sample size, I don't know what to tell you. Abby is good at FO's, even if he excels at wing.

Hits might not be a perfect stat, but all are determined by the same person each game. Having Abby and Tootoo makes the team more physical, having one leaves the Wings as soft as they have been.

Please inform me on the players signed this off-season who had 150+ hits, postive +-, play PK, have 50%+ FO, fight MW's, and have 20+ points for under $2 million.

Old
08-12-2012, 12:26 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
Quote:
Which 12 forwards on this roster are better than Abby?
http://kings.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

In what dimension are Lewis, Fraser, Nolan, Clifford, Westgarth better than Abby? Would you prefer Lewis' 7 points in 72 games? Fraser's 8 points in 67 games? They were both minus players as well.

Who on the Kings fourth line scored more points than Abby last season? None.
The grass is always greener.

Last edited by SoupNazi: 08-12-2012 at 03:25 PM.
SoupNazi is online now   Reply With Quote