Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Premier League

Old
08-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Terrier

vCash: 500
OT: The Premier League

The new season is less than two weeks away, and now that we're done panning the new United kits, a couple of items:

Usain Bolt wants a crack at playing for United. Perhaps he should try Sporting KC first, a la Ochocinco(or whatever his name is today).

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...er-United.html

Will RVP end up on either side of Manchester?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...an-Persie.html

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Terrier

Roberto Mancini is trying some tactical pessimism, having missed out on major transfer targets. The Community Shield is tomorrow, live on Fox Soccer at 8:30 a.m.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/p...-united-081112

Old
08-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Mancini0518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
The new season is less than two weeks away, and now that we're done panning the new United kits, a couple of items:

Usain Bolt wants a crack at playing for United. Perhaps he should try Sporting KC first, a la Ochocinco(or whatever his name is today).

I think Bolt would have more of a chance than you think. Mostly because of the debt that MU has and their less than stellar IPO. The publicity and revenue that Bolt would bring to the team would be huge even he is only a reserve. I could see it for that reason only

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:30 AM
NORY

With the Community Shield game about an hour away I was thinking about an idea for hockey. To kick off the start of the NHL season why not have the Stanley Cup Champs face the President Trophy Champs in a pre-season game. They could have it in a neutral arena (like a none NHL market) and even make a cup/trophy for it. I know I get really hype for the Community Shield because it feels like an opening ceremony for the Premier League. Do you think it could have the same effect for the NHL? I feel it would be fun this year with the Kings and Nucks facing eachother.

Last edited by NORY: 08-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.
NORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORY View Post
With the Community Shield game about an hour away I was thinking about an idea for hockey. To kick off the start of the NHL season why not have the Stanley Cup Champs face the President Trophy Champs in a pre-season game. They could have it in a neutral arena (like a none NHL market) and even make a cup/trophy for it. I know I get really hype for the Community Shield because it feels like an opening ceremony for the Premier League. Do you think it could have the same effect for the NHL? I feel it would be fun this year with the Kings and Nucks facing eachother.

Much of the proceeds from the Community Shield go to the charitable arms of the participating clubs, so a similar matchup during the hockey preseason might be an interesting idea. As a match, the Shield rarely disappoints, that's for sure.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...er-City-3.html

Old
08-13-2012, 09:03 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
I think Bolt would have more of a chance than you think. Mostly because of the debt that MU has and their less than stellar IPO. The publicity and revenue that Bolt would bring to the team would be huge even he is only a reserve. I could see it for that reason only
With his speed his first touch will be his only touch.

If he is good with his head... who knows because Man Us players could put it right there for him.

Personally my guess is he's too attrocious for it to work. BUt in a side with such skilled players who will pass him the ball perfectly if his first touches can be "average" when he gets service either on the wings or in the middle he could be OK.

He had a better chance of doing well in a team like Man U than an MLS team.

Also he won't be playing 90 minutes so when he comes on as a sub he'll be all over the pitch and will get back to defend you'll see him given orders to run around like a mad man and he might be able to do it well. Don't underestimate the calibur off athlete compensating for his lack of ability it could keep the embarrassment factor lower than you think.

He probably would be too bad though his marking would suck despite the speed and guys would still go past him and even simple passes he'd screw up. I just wanted to play devils advocate for a little.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:16 AM
N o o d l e s

Can't believe the new season is already starting. I saw an ad on tv for the opening of the Premier league season and I didn't even realize it started Aug. 19. Crazy to see how short of a break they get, especially with the Euros.

N o o d l e s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by N O O D L E S View Post
Can't believe the new season is already starting. I saw an ad on tv for the opening of the Premier league season and I didn't even realize it started Aug. 19. Crazy to see how short of a break they get, especially with the Euros.

Just curious, since your location is Quincy, did you hang out at Bad Abbots? I never visited but it was well known as a Celtic supporters spot. I've been playing hockey at QYH for years.

P.S. USA-Mexico "friendly" on Wednesday, live from the Azteca, 8 p.m. on ESPN2.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:03 AM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

Quote:

Damn it I am getting so sick of the RVP saga. Will it just end already? I am eagerly awaiting the start of the new season, definitely looking forward to seeing how Giroud, Podolski, and Cazorla fit at Arsenal.

BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by N O O D L E S View Post
Has there ever been talk about compacting the schedule, shortening the schedule or anything like that to give these guys a bigger break?

Quote:
Much of the proceeds from the Community Shield go to the charitable arms of the participating clubs, so a similar matchup during the hockey preseason might be an interesting idea. As a match, the Shield rarely disappoints, that's for sure.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...er-City-3.html
Is there any type of sports comparison you'd compare the Shield to? It doesn't count for the upcoming season, but it certainly seems more than some meaningless exhibition. It's taken pretty seriously by both sides, no?

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:59 PM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

RVP to Man U. Sucks but glad it's over. Hope he remembers these words forgot to put the link http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...-man-u?cc=5901

Last edited by BergyDGD: 08-15-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old
08-15-2012, 10:03 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Just curious, since your location is Quincy, did you hang out at Bad Abbots? I never visited but it was well known as a Celtic supporters spot. I've been playing hockey at QYH for years.

P.S. USA-Mexico "friendly" on Wednesday, live from the Azteca, 8 p.m. on ESPN2.
I actually have been to Bad Abbots once or twice, but not a hangout place of mine. That's cool though, that rinks not bad. Most kids from Quincy play there or at Shea.

N o o d l e s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Gator Mike

Wow. U.S. shocks Mexico at the Estadio Azteca 1-0 on a goal by Michael Orozco-Fiscal:

Gator Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:44 PM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post
Wow. U.S. shocks Mexico at the Estadio Azteca 1-0 on a goal by Michael Orozco-Fiscal:

Awesome game, and even though it was a friendly an epic win for US Soccer. Proud of the boys tonight!

Old
08-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Gator Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
Awesome game, and even though it was a friendly an epic win for US Soccer. Proud of the boys tonight!
Definitely.

First US win in Mexico in 75 years. They'd been outscored 81-14 in their previous 24 matches in Mexico. They were 0-8-1 at the Azteca. Until tonight.

Brilliant.

Gator Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:40 AM
C77

Good to see the U.S. finally win one at Azteca. I thought they were going to win a couple years ago when they went ahead 2-0 there but it didn't happen.

I watched some of the Italy vs England friendly. Johnson was a good player for England and I liked Ogbonna for Italy.

There are some things that Italy did that were fun to watch like defending with two players coming from different directions. A few times on the left side of the Italian defense in the first half an English player had the ball and the first Italian defender was making sure that the English player couldn't beat him to the end line and then the other Italian came in from the central part of the field and challenged the player with the ball.

I think Italy got in trouble a bit with the defenders trying to make plays out of the back in situations where other teams would just kick the ball away. As a fan I'll take those mistakes from the young players as they are maturing. To me it's much better to see than watching defenders panic and just smash the ball out of play. However, when it works it's wonderful to watch, two quick passes and the pressure is off and the break could be on.

Also I liked the use of space that the Italians did when under pressure they would pass the ball back to the left back because the players are good enough technically and confident enough to do it that it becomes a high percentage play.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:55 PM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

Everyone ready for the start of the season? GO GUNNERS!!!

Old
08-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
Everyone ready for the start of the season? GO GUNNERS!!!

Arsenal 0, Sunderland 0

No breakthrough at the Emirates today, and news broke afterwards confirming Alex Song's switch to Barca.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...derland-0.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-official.html

West Brom 3, Liverpool 0

Just what Fenway Sports Group needed today.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ighlights.html

Old
08-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Liverpool in the relegation zone!

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:54 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

GOOD LUCK ALL OF YA!

My team had a big win today

This year is wide open. Man U and Man C are ahead of everyone and it looks like 3-20 is a crapshoot .

Good luck to everyones teams and enjoy the season.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:18 PM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

Quote:
Arsenal 0, Sunderland 0

No breakthrough at the Emirates today, and news broke afterwards confirming Alex Song's switch to Barca.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...derland-0.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-official.html

West Brom 3, Liverpool 0

Just what Fenway Sports Group needed today.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ighlights.html
Well the day just gets better and better if you're a Gooner, at least we're 1 point ahead of Spurs

Old
08-18-2012, 05:26 PM
EverettMike

BILLION DOLLAR IDEA ALERT!

Americans don't like watching **** that isn't "the best."

That is why MLS will never truly take off in this country, because everyone knows it is a second or third class soccer league.

So, how can we get behind a Premier League team?

Simple: an American billionaire buys a team in Ireland, loads it up with as many American stars as possible, and markets the team to America. Boom, now the whole 300+ million US population has a team to get behind in the best league in the world.

TAKING: Suggestions for the new team name.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:42 PM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
BILLION DOLLAR IDEA ALERT!

Americans don't like watching **** that isn't "the best."

That is why MLS will never truly take off in this country, because everyone knows it is a second or third class soccer league.

So, how can we get behind a Premier League team?

Simple: an American billionaire buys a team in Ireland, loads it up with as many American stars as possible, and markets the team to America. Boom, now the whole 300+ million US population has a team to get behind in the best league in the world.

TAKING: Suggestions for the new team name.
Would be a good idea if the League of Ireland Premier Division was any better than MLS. Anyway just name the team the Bruins!

Old
08-18-2012, 10:41 PM
bruinsden
PRO/BOS Bruins!!!

Fulham with an awesome game to start the season. I am hoping that was us being good and not Norwich being bad.

bruinsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:26 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Shouldn't this be the Liverpool thread?

Carry on.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote