Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the D underrated?

Old
08-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 303
I'll definitely have to start a Wild Player Usage Charts thread when the 2012-13 season is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
I do think Suter's presence will be huge in every phase of the game, but I would like to see Brodin step up and be his partner. I like Spurgeon better in sheltered minutes against lower competition even though he can play tough minutes.
I agree; that's where Spurgeon will truly dominate.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:57 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I'll definitely have to start a Wild Player Usage Charts thread when the 2012-13 season is over.
please do, and with your permission they'd get run on First Round Bust. In fact, pretty much any sort of statistical graphs you have during the season will get exposure if you are willing.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:58 AM
DANOZ28

backstrom is an average goalie, last year the first 30 games he stood on his head (like the entire team) where was he games 31-82? the last 2 times we made it to the playoffs wasn't backs are goalie? didnt we lose both times in the first rnd? didnt we have more experienced D back then? w/o JL backs has been around 2.70 GAA, that isnt nearly good enough to rank him in the top 10 nhl goalies.

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
backstrom is an average goalie, last year the first 30 games he stood on his head (like the entire team) where was he games 31-82? the last 2 times we made it to the playoffs wasn't backs are goalie? didnt we lose both times in the first rnd? didnt we have more experienced D back then? w/o JL backs has been around 2.70 GAA, that isnt nearly good enough to rank him in the top 10 nhl goalies.
Once again, I'd like to point out GAA is more of a team stat. A goalie could average 40 shots a game, let in 3, and people that look at that stat would say hes terrible when in fact hes done pretty damn well.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:19 PM
DANOZ28

im really not sure what your pointing out? please add some facts, stats or reasons why you think backs is an above average goaltender & deserves 6 mill. thx ps we have missed the playoffs for 4 straight years with backs #1.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Backs obviously doesn't deserve 6M. His former contract was fine though.

Thank God, his actual contract ends after next season.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Jopsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Backs obviously doesn't deserve 6M. His former contract was fine though.

Thank God, his actual contract ends after next season.
What do you see us getting in return when we trade him

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
The Wild aren't going to trade him.

I highly doubt it.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:59 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
im really not sure what your pointing out? please add some facts, stats or reasons why you think backs is an above average goaltender & deserves 6 mill. thx ps we have missed the playoffs for 4 straight years with backs #1.
it's kind of obvious what he's pointing out. I don't think he can be any clearer. Did anyone say he deserves 6 million?

You can't seriously be suggesting we missed the playoffs because of Backstrom. Can you?

PS not an argument, just an aside: Parise listed goaltending as one of the considerations for picking the Wild along with prospects. i'd be willing to bet he wasn't talking about Harding (or only harding).

Last edited by GopherState: 08-12-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: WTF .gif a no-go
rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
The Wild aren't going to trade him.

I highly doubt it.
why is that? oh, right...because he's our best goalie! If chicago doesn't fix their **** and we're out of the playoffs i can see them giving us something for the rental. Except i'm fairly certain Fletcher hates chicago.

Old
08-12-2012, 08:33 PM
SupremeNachos

vCash: 916
Our defense is underrated b/c we lack the size of your average dman in the NHL. We have more speed and agility than straight up power than most teams and sometimes I think that hurts us more than I would like to admit.

SupremeNachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
why is that? oh, right...because he's our best goalie! If chicago doesn't fix their **** and we're out of the playoffs i can see them giving us something for the rental. Except i'm fairly certain Fletcher hates chicago.
It'd be nice to finally steal Sharp from them. They owe us one, so I'll cross our fingers.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:21 AM
DANOZ28

i think suter will greatly improve our D. i believe he was part of the #1 power play in the nhl last yr. i hope our D will generate some scoring this yr, suter 10G, gilbert 6, spur 4, scandella 4, plus misc 4 total from prosser, falk, stoner, kampfer. rynryn & vs if gaa means nothing, which goalie stat does? thx

Old
08-13-2012, 10:24 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
i think suter will greatly improve our D. i believe he was part of the #1 power play in the nhl last yr. i hope our D will generate some scoring this yr, suter 10G, gilbert 6, spur 4, scandella 4, plus misc 4 total from prosser, falk, stoner, kampfer. rynryn & vs if gaa means nothing, which goalie stat does? thx
Few, if any, goalie stats mean anything. SV% is a little more meaningful than GAA, but again does nothing to measure the quality of shots. Goalies can't really be evaluated from statistical performance at any meaningful rate.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:24 PM
nickschultzfan

Cullen, Harding, and Spurgeon/Scandella to Chicago for Keith

Chicago has been making so many bad moves and non-moves (except for Leddy-Barker) that they might just go for it.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Sportsfan1

People definitely need to give Scandella time, kids got all the physical tools he just needs to learn the position on the NHL level and that takes time, I think he's definitely top 4 material and if he figures it out this year, and if he does that takes are definitely average defense to potentially very good. Right now it's Suter and Gilbert as solid top 4's, and depending on the development of Scandella and Brodin will determine how fast our defense becomes very good.

Spurgeon is solid but he's better suited in a 5 dman role paired with a guy like Stoner, I like Stoner a lot but the guy just needs to stay healthy this year, he does that and that's a very solid pairing in two-three years, then later on with a top 4 of Suter-Gilbert, Brodin-Dumba, Scandella that could be a VERY good defense.

So it's not underrated, right now it is what it is, pretty average, but with a lot of room and ability to grow and that's the best thing. Depending on how fast the defense grows I think will determine whether or not the Wild make the playoffs this year.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:54 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
People definitely need to give Scandella time, kids got all the physical tools he just needs to learn the position on the NHL level and that takes time, I think he's definitely top 4 material and if he figures it out this year, and if he does that takes are definitely average defense to potentially very good. Right now it's Suter and Gilbert as solid top 4's, and depending on the development of Scandella and Brodin will determine how fast our defense becomes very good.

Spurgeon is solid but he's better suited in a 5 dman role paired with a guy like Stoner, I like Stoner a lot but the guy just needs to stay healthy this year, he does that and that's a very solid pairing in two-three years, then later on with a top 4 of Suter-Gilbert, Brodin-Dumba, Scandella that could be a VERY good defense.

So it's not underrated, right now it is what it is, pretty average, but with a lot of room and ability to grow and that's the best thing. Depending on how fast the defense grows I think will determine whether or not the Wild make the playoffs this year.
Suter-Brodin
Gilbert-Scandella
Spurgeon-Stoner
Falk/Prosser

That line-up would be awesome if we had a time machine for Brodin and Scandella and they projected out. Spurgeon would still get plenty of time playing PP and #5 minutes.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Suter-Brodin
Gilbert-Scandella
Spurgeon-Stoner
Falk/Prosser

daddy likey

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:04 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Suter-Brodin
Gilbert-Scandella
Spurgeon-Stoner
Falk/Prosser

That line-up would be awesome if we had a time machine for Brodin and Scandella and they projected out. Spurgeon would still get plenty of time playing PP and #5 minutes.
Not a bad lineup at all! I really like the idea of Suter mentoring Brodin.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:03 PM
PensFan6687

What kind of player is Nate Prosser to you? He averaged close to 3 BS per game.. 136 in 51 contests. Had 3 PPA. Seems to have some value at a depth level. What is the story on him? Where he falls this year on the depth chart and expected production. Thanks in advance.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
What kind of player is Nate Prosser to you? He averaged close to 3 BS per game.. 136 in 51 contests. Had 3 PPA. Seems to have some value at a depth level. What is the story on him? Where he falls this year on the depth chart and expected production. Thanks in advance.
Excellent skater with solid puck skills and an underrated shot. While still a work in progress, his solid size, mobility and hockey IQ make him one of the more interesting defensemen among our roster.

He is definitely able to challenge Tom Gilbert as our second best D, and he has great future ahead of him as a real difference maker on-and off the ice. On top of that, he can rush the puck end to end with real ease, and that combined to his grit and defensive ability make him a valuable player which the rest of the NHL will realize once he has played a couple of games in our first pairing with Ryan Suter.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

In case you didn't catch it from the sarcasm smiley, he's screwing with you. Prosser is a bottom pairing/depth defenseman (preferably just depth). He managed to do well enough to stick around last season, but that's more a statement to the quality of our defensive depth last year than anything else. At 26 he is what he is.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
He's depth. I'd prefer a player with more size on our 3rd pairing, though.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Al Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Few, if any, goalie stats mean anything. SV% is a little more meaningful than GAA, but again does nothing to measure the quality of shots. Goalies can't really be evaluated from statistical performance at any meaningful rate.
Yet somehow the best ones tend to have the lowest GAAs and highest save %s, and the worst have the highest GAAs and lowest save %s.

Strange coincidence that.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's the same problem as Corsi or +/-, only useful within a team, not across teams. Different systems and talent levels make for different situations. It's a hell of a lot easier playing goal behind a trap team full of great defenders compared to a bunch of mediocre rookies playing run and gun.

Look at Brian Elliott...led the league in GAA and save %. Do you think he's the best goalie in the league?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote