HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Team USA World Junior Championship Evaluation Camp Predictions

Old
08-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
He had two goals, sounds like you got your wish.
How were the goals?

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
How were the goals?
I have no idea. I've only seen the box score.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
I have no idea. I've only seen the box score.
No worries, thought you might have seen the game.

Old
08-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
No worries, thought you might have seen the game.
Here's a good recap:
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...ap-usa-vs-fin/

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Thanks.

Old
08-11-2012, 05:49 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
How were the goals?
From Biggs himself:

Quote:
"I got pretty lucky with some opportunities," he told NHL.com. "I'm standing in front on the power play, Griz [Matthew Grzelcyk] throws one, bounces off me and goes up and in. I throw one across, it bounces off a guy, comes right back to me."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10976

08-11-2012, 06:19 PM
William H Bonney

Now that the camp has concluded, here's my updated Team USA roster prediction using only players that were invited to the summer camp.

Forwards (x13):

John Gaudreau - Alex Galchenyuk - Stefan Noesen
Tyler Biggs - Rocco Grimaldi - J.T. Miller (A)
Mario Lucia - Sean Kuraly - Nic Kerdiles
Blake Pietila - Vincent Trocheck - Ryan Hartman
Stefan Matteau

Defense (x7):

Mike Reilly - Seth Jones (A)
Jake McCabe - Jacob Trouba (C)
Shayne Gostisbehere - Connor Murphy
Brady Skjei

Goalies (x2):

John Gibson
Garret Sparks

Notes:

- Gibson is a lock in goal and I think Sparks would get the backup nod right now. However, Stolarz is raw (mentioned this camp is the first time he's ever had a goalie coach) and could steal that spot as he also played well in the camp. Sounds like Gillies struggled a bit and has probably fallen behind the others by a large amount.

- I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Reilly or Gostisbehere fall off and end up missing out on the team like some of the other summer camp stars of years passed. That said, both are in the mold of a player that Housley loves though and they now have a leg up on their direct competition (Skjei, Grzelcyk, Cooper, Schmaltz, etc.)

- I still hope that Housley opts for 3 two-way d-men (Jones, Trouba, Murphy), 2 offensive d-men (Reilly and Gostisbehere), and 2 defensive d-men (McCabe and Sieloff) but I think he'll probably choose to go with another pure skater a la Skjei over one of the defensive d-man spots.

- I don't think many, if any, d-men not at this camp will get themselves heavily in the mix but I think some forwards will, especially for the bottom line roles. Grimaldi is the obvious top line player that wasn't at camp but I think some other forwards that will/should be in contention for the final team include Brady Vail, Joe LaBate, Matt Lane, Daniel O'Regan, and Quentin Shore. Those are all guys that could add some nice depth to the bottom 6 competition.

- I still expect a '95 will either make the team or be one of the last cuts. J.T. Compher is the best bet since he's got decent size and high end offensive with defensive ability as well. I could see him having a Jason Zucker like impact from the 2010 WJC team: starting as the 13th forward and continually climbing lines. Other candidates would include a Tyler Motte, Adam Erne, or Taylor Cammarata.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 08-11-2012 at 06:27 PM.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Thanks!

Old
08-11-2012, 08:17 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Now that the camp has concluded, here's my updated Team USA roster prediction using only players that were invited to the summer camp.

Forwards (x13):

Stefan Matteau

Defense (x7):

Brady Skjei

Goalies (x2):

John Gibson
Garret Sparks

Notes:

- Gibson is a lock in goal and I think Sparks would get the backup nod right now. However, Stolarz is raw (mentioned this camp is the first time he's ever had a goalie coach) and could steal that spot as he also played well in the camp. Sounds like Gillies struggled a bit and has probably fallen behind the others by a large amount.

- I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Reilly or Gostisbehere fall off and end up missing out on the team like some of the other summer camp stars of years passed. That said, both are in the mold of a player that Housley loves though and they now have a leg up on their direct competition (Skjei, Grzelcyk, Cooper, Schmaltz, etc.)

- I still hope that Housley opts for 3 two-way d-men (Jones, Trouba, Murphy), 2 offensive d-men (Reilly and Gostisbehere), and 2 defensive d-men (McCabe and Sieloff) but I think he'll probably choose to go with another pure skater a la Skjei over one of the defensive d-man spots.

- I don't think many, if any, d-men not at this camp will get themselves heavily in the mix but I think some forwards will, especially for the bottom line roles. Grimaldi is the obvious top line player that wasn't at camp but I think some other forwards that will/should be in contention for the final team include Brady Vail, Joe LaBate, Matt Lane, Daniel O'Regan, and Quentin Shore. Those are all guys that could add some nice depth to the bottom 6 competition.

- I still expect a '95 will either make the team or be one of the last cuts. J.T. Compher is the best bet since he's got decent size and high end offensive with defensive ability as well. I could see him having a Jason Zucker like impact from the 2010 WJC team: starting as the 13th forward and continually climbing lines. Other candidates would include a Tyler Motte, Adam Erne, or Taylor Cammarata.
the top 95 with the best chance to make this squad imo is Adam Erne...

likely to be at 6'1 210 when this tourney rolls around, this is the kid to keep a very close on eye

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:38 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Excited that Biggs has been doing well and I'm hoping Sparks gets the back-up role, maybe a couple games too.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Are they playing at lake placid? I was at the arena yesterday, and it looked like usa was playing finland.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:25 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Are they playing at lake placid? I was at the arena yesterday, and it looked like usa was playing finland.
They were. Camp is over now.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:46 AM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
They were. Camp is over now.
it looked like grzelyck had a realy good camp and plaed well in the games. what are your thoughts of him making the team?

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:55 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
it looked like grzelyck had a realy good camp and plaed well in the games. what are your thoughts of him making the team?
I thought he had little to no shot heading in and he played well enough to keep himself in the conversation. Problem for him is that both Reilly and Gostisbehere both outplayed him and those guys are his direct competition. I don't think Grzelcyk ends up making the team though.

Old
08-12-2012, 12:55 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:

Forwards (x13):

Stefan Matteau

Defense (x7):

Brady Skjei

Goalies (x2):

John Gibson
Garret Sparks
To me the big question for the team will be how strong Grimaldi looks to begin the season and who he'd end on a line with in December. I still feel that he could be the offensive leader for the team.

I actually thought Galchenyuk was most effective when paired with Miller. On the same note, Noesen seemed to work best with Kuraly and Lucia. I think I'd go with something like this up front...

John Gaudreau - Alex Galchenyuk - J.T. Miller
Reid Boucher - Rocco Grimaldi - Ryan Hartman/Tyler Biggs
Mario Lucia - Sean Kuraly - Stefan Noesen
Blake Pietila - Vincent Trocheck - Tyler Biggs/Ryan Hartman
Stefan Matteau/Nic Kerdiles

Boucher didn't have a great evaluation camp but he and Grimaldi have been a deadly duo over the years. If Miller is with Galchenyuk then the question becomes who's most effective in his place. Hartman is more offensively skilled and creative than Biggs but Biggs did well in the evaluation camp and might work well in that spot. This could be a spot where a guy like Erne could fit in if he comes out flying this fall.

I'd probably prefer Kerdiles over Matteau at this point but it's hard to leave Matteau off given the eligibility questions looking to the future (Should that be an issue? Given the limited role I'd see either playing it is to me with an eye towards the future).

I think Compher could play on this team but given the strength up the middle it'd probably be as a 13th forward. I don't know that they'll take him over the older, more experienced wingers given the limited role he'd be playing and what I see as questions on the wings.

The defense is a hard call. I wasn't crazy about McCabe nor Skjei in the evaluation and I think a guy like Grzelcyk could still be in the competition against those guys as I think he's smart enough on both ends to be a two-way guy. I think Reilly is a sure thing but Gostisbehere was such a surprise that there's still a part of me that wants to see him prove himself a bit more over the fall. Sieloff was better in the evaluation camp than my previous international viewings and he could earn a depth role on the team, depending on what Housley wants.

There'll be a lot of interesting things to watch as the season unfolds.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
I'm just glad our Panther boys are there representing our country, Grimaldi and Trocheck

Panteras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:08 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
I thought he had little to no shot heading in and he played well enough to keep himself in the conversation. Problem for him is that both Reilly and Gostisbehere both outplayed him and those guys are his direct competition. I don't think Grzelcyk ends up making the team though.
Grzelcyk has a bit of David WARSOFSKY in him.....he very well could make this team as David did in 2010...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:10 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
im with you. i did not think he had much shot going into camp but it sounded like he had a good camp. would be great to see him make the squad

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:10 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Grzelcyk has a bit of David WARSOFSKY in him.....he very well could make this team as David did in 2010...
I can see that but I think next year will be his chance to make it in his final year of eligibility just as Warsofsky did.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:20 PM
William H Bonney

Some strong starts from some of the guys looking to get their names into play for the team:

Cody Payne (Plymouth) is off to a very strong start with 8 goals and 5 assists in 11 games.

Riley Barber (Miami - Ohio) has 3 goals and 2 assists in 4 games.

Colin Jacobs (Prince George) has 8 goals and 7 assists in in 12 games.

Brady Vail (Windsor) has 6 goals and 10 assists in 13 games as well.

And my favorite wildcard, Adam Erne (Quebec) has 6 goals and 11 assists in 12 games.

That's 5 players that weren't in play this summer for Team USA that are starting strong to hopefully earn some longer looks from USAH. Has anyone seen these players (or maybe some others not listed) this year? What are you thoughts?

Last edited by William H Bonney: 10-21-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 08:32 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

vCash: 1660
Does Hudson fasching have any chance at making this team?

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 09:06 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I find it hard to believe that Enre and Vail weren't in play.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 09:58 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanmaster View Post
Does Hudson fasching have any chance at making this team?
No. He'll be in play the next two years though.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:07 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I find it hard to believe that Enre and Vail weren't in play.
I'm not too sure about Adam Erne's chances, but if Brady Vail keeps this offensive progression going throughout the first half of this season but doesn't earn an invite to the tryout camp in December then i'll be extremely disappointed.

flyers28giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:31 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Some strong starts from some of the guys looking to get their names into play for the team:

Cody Payne (Plymouth) is off to a very strong start with 8 goals and 5 assists in 11 games.

Riley Barber (Miami - Ohio) has 3 goals and 2 assists in 4 games.

Colin Jacobs (Prince George) has 8 goals and 7 assists in in 12 games.

Brady Vail (Windsor) has 6 goals and 10 assists in 13 games as well.

And my favorite wildcard, Adam Erne (Quebec) has 6 goals and 11 assists in 12 games.

That's 5 players that weren't in play this summer for Team USA that are starting strong to hopefully earn some longer looks from USAH. Has anyone seen these players (or maybe some others not listed) this year? What are you thoughts?
Cody Payne looks great, big kid who can really skate and is showing remarkable offensive skill. He can be physically imposing and is doing a great job getting to the net and making plays with his soft hands. Does most of his damage offensively really close to the net from what I've seen. I don't know about World Juniors, he had six goals his first two OHL seasons total and tht's a big leap. Have to see how he's maintaining his level of play a month and a half from now, looks to me like his play this year isn't a house of cards and he can maintain a level at least close to this. I've always liked what I've seen from Brady Vail too, kid can definitely play.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote