What sports should be in the Olympics?

Old
08-11-2012, 07:18 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Because guys with beer guts could be winning gold medals.
Doesn't stop archery

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Jujitsu and Lacrosse.

It would have to be Field Lacrosse because Box Lacrosse wouldn't be competitive enough. Some may say even field lacrosse wouldn't be competitive enough but the sport is growing world wide and it is more competitive than Basketball at this point.
Difference is, people actually care about basketball.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
USA is barely a AAA country where as Finland is a strong one at that. And you suck at hockey and don't even care about that so that's a big no-non at this board.
For one, he was mocking you. You kept saying certain countries don't count because they aren't important. His example was spot on; in the global picture, Finland is like a spec compared to the U.S. The global impact of Finland isn't even comparable. However, that doesn't mean the sports Finland is good at are less important because they aren't a world power. That was his point. Stop ******** on the little countries you don't think are important.

As far as sucking at hockey; huh? Was that a prepubescent temper tantrum?

I think it is great to hear that Rugby is going to be in the 2016 games. I would like to see some other additions as well. I for one do not like baseball, at all. I don't care if the Americans would be favorites or not. Please do not add it to the Olympics.

I would like to see rock climbing and a few others added, though.

Magnifique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Raider917

Sex...everybody does it.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Sexual Twister... Everybody does it.

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
For one, he was mocking you. You kept saying certain countries don't count because they aren't important. His example was spot on; in the global picture, Finland is like a spec compared to the U.S. The global impact of Finland isn't even comparable. However, that doesn't mean the sports Finland is good at are less important because they aren't a world power. That was his point. Stop ******** on the little countries you don't think are important.

As far as sucking at hockey; huh? Was that a prepubescent temper tantrum?

I think it is great to hear that Rugby is going to be in the 2016 games. I would like to see some other additions as well. I for one do not like baseball, at all. I don't care if the Americans would be favorites or not. Please do not add it to the Olympics.

I would like to see rock climbing and a few others added, though.
All your Angry Birds are belong to us.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Tommy Torini
Hell of a thing baby

I want to see baseball back in the Olympics. I'd also like to add rugby as well.

I'd like to see lacrosse, but I don't think nearly enough countries play it for it to even be considered.

Tommy Torini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:35 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
I was just thinking...if skateboarding was a summer Olympic sport, would Shaun White be the first ever athlete to compete (and win medals) at both the Summer and Winter games?
No, Clara Hughes did not that for Canada years ago. Summer Olympics for cycling and Winter Olympics for speed-skating.

Edit: Sorry didn't scroll down to see someone had already answered this.

Last edited by blueandgoldguy: 08-11-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: answer already given
blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
Sex...everybody does it.
GLAAD would protest that there should be a competition in gay sex.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
GLAAD would protest that there should be a competition in gay sex.
so true...there would be so many medals to win though, straight/gay/lesbian individual and team medals ....although it wouldn't be fair because all these bunch of conservative teams wouldn't send their gay/lesbian athletes...Saudi Arabia wouldn't be there I can guarantee that (ohh man I have a funny joke for that one can't say it though)

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:38 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
No one's going to like this suggestion, but I believe it firmly:

Auto-Racing.

It's one of the world's most popular sports. I can name superstar drivers from a lot of countries.

Have them run formula cars similar to F1, and have each country construct the cars using brands from those countries.

Such is my suggestion.
I'd go for this only because equestrian events are allowed. The "athlete" does nothing but ride and takes all the credit.

wildthing202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing202 View Post
I'd go for this only because equestrian events are allowed. The "athlete" does nothing but ride and takes all the credit.
Heh, I'd love to see you get on a horse and do that

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
there are many things that I could say "i wanna see you try and do that", doesn't mean they're a sport or should be included in the olympics...should we include breakdancing in the olympics?

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

vCash: 1000
Just saying horse riding at an olympic level is a lot more difficult than people think, wasn't arguing whether it should be there or not.

Saying the horse rider "does nothing" is a completely idiotic statement

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
so true...there would be so many medals to win though, straight/gay/lesbian individual and team medals ....although it wouldn't be fair because all these bunch of conservative teams wouldn't send their gay/lesbian athletes...Saudi Arabia wouldn't be there I can guarantee that (ohh man I have a funny joke for that one can't say it though)
Can't forget synchronized.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

They should have 3 levels of triathlon events: Sprint, "Olympic" (what the triathlon currently is, just call it something else), and Ironman.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:15 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Heard its going to be in at Rio in 2016.
Golf and Rugby Sevens will be added in the Rio Games, yes.

MMA is tough to make legitimately safe, and the forms that would be safest likely are already in the competition or trying to enter the competition with their own respective events.

Baseball has a serious issue with caliber of play. The IOC cited the lack of high-end players as a reason the sport was dropped, but you're not going to get a two-week break in the middle of the season for the Olympics. Admittedly, that hasn't stopped soccer, but soccer is so ubiquitous that it pretty much has to be there, and the women's tournament is best-on-best. Softball was a lack of competitive teams - just four teams had won a medal in the tournament, and China won its lone silver in 1996. That's not something that can really be corrected in a short period of time, but it's also not something that you can really correct without Olympic exposure, so they're kind of in a catch-22.

I think cricket could go in. An ODI or T20 tournament would work, and you've got enough competitive teams for a best-on-best competition to be marketable. I was quite surprised that the sport wasn't on the program as a demonstration sport for the London games.

Lacrosse is unlikely, as the U.S. and Canada are light years ahead of everybody else, even Australia and the Iroquois. Hell, would the IOC even allow the Iroquois to compete? After they were denied entry to the UK for the 2010 World Championships, I'd say probably not.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I've mentioned it before, but there are basically three strikes (yuck yuck) against baseball:

1. Not a large number of participating countries, and quite localized.

2. Lack of the best players.

3. Frequent need/cost of constructing large specialized playing facilities.

Maybe the IOC should adopt a rule that the host nation for each Olympics can pick one sport for both men and women that gets added (with some basic minimum standards, so for instance the US couldn't pick American football). Then you could have baseball in the USA and Japan where they care about it and already have plenty of stadiums, without having to burden other host countries with it.

Old
08-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I've mentioned it before, but there are basically three strikes (yuck yuck) against baseball:

1. Not a large number of participating countries, and quite localized.

2. Lack of the best players.

3. Frequent need/cost of constructing large specialized playing facilities.

Maybe the IOC should adopt a rule that the host nation for each Olympics can pick one sport for both men and women that gets added (with some basic minimum standards, so for instance the US couldn't pick American football). Then you could have baseball in the USA and Japan where they care about it and already have plenty of stadiums, without having to burden other host countries with it.
Wouldn't your 1st point still make Baseball a very odd choice? I don't even know how many countries would send a team, would it be more than 3-5?

Jonimaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:33 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
I love baseball, but no to the Olympics... for now. Let them see what they can do with it's global appeal via the World Baseball Classic. If it generates more interest globally, then look at it as an Olympic event again in 10-12 years.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Wouldn't your 1st point still make Baseball a very odd choice? I don't even know how many countries would send a team, would it be more than 3-5?
Between North/Central America, South America, and chunks of Asia, there's a respectable if not overly large number of countries that participate. The difference between baseball and other sports with low country participation is those ones don't require a massive footprint stadium to be built for them, which of course is point #3. Point #2 comes in because even with these limitations, it would have probably stuck around if the Olympics were a showcase event for the sport. But if it's not going to feature the best players it's not worth the organizing hassle.

Old
08-12-2012, 12:35 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
They should have 3 levels of triathlon events: Sprint, "Olympic" (what the triathlon currently is, just call it something else), and Ironman.
Eh, that seems like overkill. Maybe do the sprint course, or even a shortened version of that... but I wouldn't do 3 different distances, especially for one that will be basically an 11-12 hour course.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:36 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Probably could given a week or two of training, like what Stephen Colbert did. I mean the horse does most of the work shouldn't be too hard to get the commands learned since the horses are multimillion thoroughbreds who know how to do everything already.

It's the opposite of horse racing, in the Olympics it the jockey who gets all the glory(medals) vs. horse racing where the horse gets all the glory(ex. does anyone even know w/o Wikipedia who rode Secretariat in his Triple Crown year?).

Same can be said for racing cars, once you learn how to drive it most of the work is done outside of strategy. I'd be willing to give equestrian sports a bit more credit if they added some rodeo stuff and if it wasn't just a rich people's sport.

wildthing202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:44 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Between North/Central America, South America, and chunks of Asia, there's a respectable if not overly large number of countries that participate. The difference between baseball and other sports with low country participation is those ones don't require a massive footprint stadium to be built for them, which of course is point #3. Point #2 comes in because even with these limitations, it would have probably stuck around if the Olympics were a showcase event for the sport. But if it's not going to feature the best players it's not worth the organizing hassle.
And that's really what the exclusion of baseball/softball by the IOC is all about - a power move to try and force the MLB to allow the players to play. I can't imagine it'll happen unless baseball really takes a sharp decline and the MLB/owners are willing to take on all the risk.

08-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Jonimaus

Olympic football does not include the best players either.

Jonimaus is online now   Reply With Quote