HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks Prospect thread 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
The USHL has been able to develop a pretty good amount of talent in recent history. Don't be so quick to discount it
I'm not. I'm just not throwing a parade just yet waiting to see how he does in better leagues.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:48 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Saying we have players like Andersson then making a Nieto-Kreider comparison implies that we have players like him or better in the system. Yet I don't see it.

You're being overly critical on Detroit's farm system (bust, nothing special). I can also say Wingels is a borderline AHLer that had a 3 goal stint in the big leauges.
On the Kreider Nieto comparison. Kreider was BC's top player and played on the top line with the most minutes, Nieto played mostly on the 2nd line. He was also in his junior year while Nieto was in his sophomore and scored pretty comparably. Having watched both kids play I'd say they are both dominant players with pretty similar upsides. If Nieto continues to develop at his current pace he has the potential to surpass Kreider, but Kreider has more size though which should allow him to make a quicker transition to the NHL game. In short Nieto is our Kreider, its debatable who has more talent/skill but Nieto needs time to put on more muscle if his gritty game is going to transition to the bigs. I expect the org to take the Couture development path with Nieto, give him a year in the AHL to get him some more muscle.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:50 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Saying we have players like Andersson then making a Nieto-Kreider comparison implies that we have players like him or better in the system. Yet I don't see it.

You're being overly critical on Detroit's farm system (bust, nothing special). I can also say Wingels is a borderline AHLer that had a 3 goal stint in the big leauges.
No, my point is that stats aren't everything. Nieto outscored Kreider in Hockey East, but nobody is rushing to claim he's better than Kreider.

But, if you want to be particular, John McCarthy scored 47 points in 65 games, which isn't worse than Andersson's 51 points in 73 games, right? You can manipulate numbers all you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
On the Kreider Nieto comparison. Kreider was BC's top player and played on the top line with the most minutes, Nieto played mostly on the 2nd line. He was also in his junior year while Nieto was in his sophomore and scored pretty comparably. Having watched both kids play I'd say they are both dominant players with pretty similar upsides. If Nieto continues to develop at his current pace he has the potential to surpass Kreider, but Kreider has more size though which should allow him to make a quicker transition to the NHL game. In short Nieto is our Kreider, its debatable who has more talent/skill but Nieto needs time to put on more muscle if his gritty game is going to transition to the bigs. I expect the org to take the Couture development path with Nieto, give him a year in the AHL to get him some more muscle.
Well, the other thing about Nieto is that even though he was only a year behind Kreider in school, he is two draft classes behind Kreider.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
But, if you want to be particular, John McCarthy scored 47 points in 65 games, which isn't worse than Andersson's 51 points in 73 games, right? You can manipulate numbers all you want.
Right but we both know Andersson is a better player and there is no prospect on the Woostah team that is comparable in talent, right? Which is what I said and what you refuted with your Nieto example.

Old
08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Right but we both know Andersson is a better player and there is no prospect on the Woostah team that is comparable in talent, right? Which is what I said and what you refuted with your Nieto example.
Yours is a faulty argument anyway. Everyone knows that all the Sharks forward prospects are not at the AHL level right now.

OT, but speak of the devil:

Matt Nieto ‏@matt_nieto
LA for the reptile super show #snakelover

REALLY hope he makes the NHL now so he and Burns can be best friends.

Old
08-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yours is a faulty argument anyway. Everyone knows that all the Sharks forward prospects are not at the AHL level right now.
Which means we don't have "specs" similar to him. Andersson has been proving himself in the Swedish league and the AHL, while our players have been dominating the CHL ... how can they be similar?

Old
08-12-2012, 03:12 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Which means we don't have "specs" similar to him. Andersson has been proving himself in the Swedish league and the AHL, while our players have been dominating the CHL ... how can they be similar?
I'm not sure what your point is now. Are you saying Nieto and ect are not good prospects?

Old
08-12-2012, 03:14 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

we're over 1000 posts. new thread in a sec.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Closed Thread