HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Ottawa Sports Radio Noon Show

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2006, 01:26 PM
RTWAP*

vCash: 500
OT: Ottawa Sports Radio Noon Show

I don't know how y'all feel about it, but I would much rather have the Team1200 have an Ottawa sports show from noon to 3pm.

I wrote the following to the Program Director (dmitchell@team1200.com).

"I'm not a Jim Rome basher but I would much rather hear the Lee & Kevin show than the Jungle. I realize that some folks might worry about being able to fill the time when it's not the day of a Sens playoff game but I think you might find there are lots of interesting stories to tell. Plus there's always the larger national, American or international sports stories of the day to dig into.

When it comes right down to it, I'm more into Ottawa sports than a sports in general. I'd rather listen to stories/interviews about local high school athletes, rec league champions, and the local sports scene in general than interviews with retired ball players or prize fighters. "

Anyone else have an opinion?

Old
04-27-2006, 01:27 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I actually like listening to Jim Rome

There's enough pre-game coverage on the way to the rink, and that satisfies me.

Old
04-27-2006, 01:30 PM
senility

I am a Jim Rome basher. The guy is a stupid sexist moron who is prone to long and uncomfortable moments of dead air. That said, given the extent of my hockey obsession at present, that's the only three hour block in the afternoon when I can get anything done, so maybe yet another block of Sens talk isn't such a good idea.

Old
04-27-2006, 01:32 PM
sensR4real

I agree with you, Rome is good when they are not talking hockey. Most of the time he's interviewing people I've never heard of before. That show is suited to fans of football, basketball and baseball in the states and they rarely talk any hockey at all.
Funny how they always get Mlakar on there once a month or so. I think they are buddies...

Old
04-27-2006, 01:33 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Jim Rome is actually much more of a hockey fan than most American sports personalities. He grew up an LA Kings season-ticket holder. He also happens to like the Ottawa Senators.

Anyone watch Wilbon and Kornheiser on PTI? Hockey is a running gag on that show.

It's not Romey's fault that the calls and e-mails are mainly about other sports. He does an admirable job in bringing in hockey when he can, in my opinion.

Old
04-27-2006, 01:34 PM
senility

True. That is his one redeeming quality.

Old
04-27-2006, 01:40 PM
SENSfreak_03

i like rome, its really the only show i listen to on team 1200 now (game days like today aside, it seems to work when i listen to this lee and lee show). you gotta take what he says with a grain of salt. but to each his own.

Old
04-27-2006, 01:48 PM
vanillagorilla

Rome is much better than hearing about Don Cherry for 8 hours so far today sometimes its good to hear different stories and the clones and the smack off are pretty funny most of the time

Old
04-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Rome is much better than hearing about Don Cherry for 8 hours so far today sometimes its good to hear different stories and the clones and the smack off are pretty funny most of the time
I'd rather hear cats in heat than Cherry for 8 hrs.

Old
04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Pangu

I like his collection of 911 calls. I don't like the topics of discussion much, but I think that he is pretty good as a host and I really don't mind the pauses.

Old
04-27-2006, 02:12 PM
operasen

Rome is okay - its those 3 Clowns in the Morning. Jerome is offensive; completely unprofessional hack.

Old
04-27-2006, 02:15 PM
CheeseSandwich*

Van Smack kicks ***!

That being said, it sucks that while streaming over the internet you get FSN for 3 hours instead of Rome.

Old
04-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Sens-own-Leafs

I jus hate how he talks and pauses then talks. Like " Basketball payers.....they are tall....what do you think.....call me...." Drives me crazy.

Old
04-27-2006, 02:44 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens-own-Leafs
I jus hate how he talks and pauses then talks. Like " Basketball payers.....they are tall....what do you think.....call me...." Drives me crazy.
It's funny when you hear him shuffling papers during the pauses.

What a strange radio show.

Old
04-27-2006, 02:57 PM
senility

The extended pauses drive me insane!!! And I don't think he's doing it for dramatic effect. I really think he just isn't all that quick on his feet so he has learned to slow things down as best he can and keep it as simple as possible. He also tries to fill air by repeating the same phrase over and over again, like:

" I mean, what was Kobe Bryant thinking. Long pause. What WAS he thinking? Long pause. You've got to take that shot. Pause. What was Kobe Bryant thinking. You take that shot. LONG PAUSE. What was he thinking? Long pause. We'll be right back."

He really must not think much of the intellectual capacities of his listeners. I don't always mind him so much when he's doing interviews and he can rely on questions others have helped him come up with, but when he's by himself talking, he's just painfully bad.

Old
04-27-2006, 03:21 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensR4real
Funny how they always get Mlakar on there once a month or so. I think they are buddies...
I heard Rome talking about this once when interviewing Mlakar. He said that when he first started in the biz, Mlakar (who worked for the Kings) always helped him out, get his show started when he had no cred, so now he he always likes Mlakar

I've noticed a few times when the radio is on in the evening, that they are taking hockey calls from Ottawa. Not many great calls yet. But they seem to be starting to recognize Ottawa in national American radio as a market they want to tap into. They are trying to get us to call and talk about hockey.

Old
04-27-2006, 04:16 PM
RTWAP*

Looks like I'm pretty much off on my own little island on this one.

Oh well, that's nothing new.

Closed Thread