HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Datsyuk sign any more NHL contracts?

Old
08-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Will Datsyuk sign any more NHL contracts?

Pavel Datsyuk is 34 years old. He has two seasons left at $6.7 MM.

Let's assume that the NHL, in its infinite wisdom, locks the players out again (likely), while getting the players down to [apples-to-apples] 43% share of HRR.

A 24% clawback would mean $5.1 MM for Datsyuk. If the season doesn't start until January 2013, to make this easy, he will essentially earn $2.55 MM this coming season, and $5.1 MM next year. With a much lower cap, is it less likely for him to consider playing any longer in the NHL once his current term expires?

He'll be heading to 37 yrs of age at that point. His daughter is in Europe.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Pavel Datsyuk is 34 years old. He has two seasons left at $6.7 MM.

Let's assume that the NHL, in its infinite wisdom, locks the players out again (likely), while getting the players down to [apples-to-apples] 43% share of HRR.

A 24% clawback would mean $5.1 MM for Datsyuk. If the season doesn't start until January 2013, to make this easy, he will essentially earn $2.55 MM this coming season, and $5.1 MM next year. With a much lower cap, is it less likely for him to consider playing any longer in the NHL once his current term expires?

He'll be heading to 37 yrs of age at that point. His daughter is in Europe.
This is more important than just the money he would make and I would expect at least 8 or 9 million even at 37 from Russian teams really 10 million is what I would ask for as his agent.

I am going to enjoy these next two years because I think this is it for Pavel in North America.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:13 PM
TNigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I am going to enjoy these next two years because I think this is it for Pavel in North America.
I also remember reading that Pavel wanted to finish his hockey career in Russia to show respect to his country. So I think he will not sign another NHL contract.
If the Wings are doing terrible, not this season but next, I saw trade him to a contender and see what you can get. I bet some pretty nice players would come back even if he were just a rental.

TNigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:15 PM
ZetterBurger

At this point I think Datsyuk will head to Russia in 2 years. He coudl sign another one year contract if he feels like it, but he daughter will be entering her teenage years and he will probably want to be with her as much as possible.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:19 PM
chances14

reading all of his quotes through the years datsyuk, to me, doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants to play hockey forever. i wouldn't be surprised at all if he retires from the nhl in 2 years

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:30 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Agreed with pretty much everyone else, especially if the Wings do poorly the next two years.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:10 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

He'll probably sign a 1 or 2 year deal, then head to the KHL. That'll be the end of the Datsyuk era for Detroit. He won't stay with the organization nor will his number be retired. Nyquist, Jurco, somebody PLEASE step up big this next year!

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
He'll probably sign a 1 or 2 year deal, then head to the KHL. That'll be the end of the Datsyuk era for Detroit. He won't stay with the organization nor will his number be retired. Nyquist, Jurco, somebody PLEASE step up big this next year!
Good thing we signed Sammy and Bertuzzi 2 more years so they can carry the flag after Datsyuk leaves.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:28 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Doubtful.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:32 PM
RabbinsDuck

I'm sure his agent will bring it up.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

I think a one contract for one or two years is all the Wings and their fans can hope for. If that, because it sounds like he really wants to be around his daughter and he can make a crazy amount of money in the KHL anyways.

Let's hope that Jurco and Iron Hook become the next Pav and Z. Cheers.

Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

This is a fair question. But seriously. Why bring this up? The board is filled with enough negativity already...

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
This is a fair question. But seriously. Why bring this up? The board is filled with enough negativity already...
If you read my question, one of the qualifiers (and the reason I thought to ask the question) was the impact of the new CBA. I personally dislike that the NHL is so willing to shut the doors so quickly on the heels of the CBA it basically wrote last time.

One issue that comes up as well is the effect of a more austere CBA on foreign players who may have other options. I figured Datsyuk wouldn't be the most obvious example, but then I realized he only had two years remaining, and one of these two may be lost to the lockout.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I think it will depend on the money available. Holland likes to keep his best players around and regardless of what Holland allegedly thought before signing Datsyuk to his current contract he knows how valuable he is.

Datsyuk has gotten injured more frequently these last few seasons but his effectiveness is still there. I think after this contract is up we'll see him back for 2-3 more years at a contract number similar to what he has now.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:13 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

I do think the truth of the matter is that we will know this before he enters his final year. He will either sign an extension at some point next summer or we can start preparing for this blow. I don't fault him at all if he leaves but it will hurt a lot.

The Wings cannot let him go to the Olympics without an extension or it is a lost cause in my opinion.

Not just the CBA but the Olympics I think has a big impact as well. Russia will want to build on those and what I think will be a Gold medal. Think Malkin will get a stupid money offer because of that too, 10 year 200 million for Geno, prepare Pittsburgh fans that will be hard to turn down.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
If you read my question, one of the qualifiers (and the reason I thought to ask the question) was the impact of the new CBA. I personally dislike that the NHL is so willing to shut the doors so quickly on the heels of the CBA it basically wrote last time.

One issue that comes up as well is the effect of a more austere CBA on foreign players who may have other options. I figured Datsyuk wouldn't be the most obvious example, but then I realized he only had two years remaining, and one of these two may be lost to the lockout.
Yeah, not real thrilled with how quickly the NHL was willing to throw a deadline down again, either.

Still, I think Datsyuk's decision won't be vitally linked to whatever happens with the CBA. Partly because I think Holland would find the money to make him happy, if that's what it comes to, but also because I think whether or not Datsyuk stays is just going to be a personal decision and about whether or not he wants to go back to Russia/Europe.

08-12-2012, 10:29 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I think it will depend on the money available. Holland likes to keep his best players around and regardless of what Holland allegedly thought before signing Datsyuk to his current contract he knows how valuable he is.

Datsyuk has gotten injured more frequently these last few seasons but his effectiveness is still there. I think after this contract is up we'll see him back for 2-3 more years at a contract number similar to what he has now.
I doubt anyone is questioning Holland wanting him to stay. I think we're questioning Datsyuk's desire to play here, especially if we aren't a true contender in a few years. He can get more money, actually communicate with his teammates, feel comfortable in day to day life, and be close to his Daughter in the KHL. There really isn't much incentive for him to stay.

I would be more surprised if he stayed in Detroit rather than retire flat out to be honest.

Last edited by CloneHakanPlease*: 08-13-2012 at 04:34 AM.
CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Fine young man
HFBoards Sponsor

Damn this makes me sad... He's my favorite player. I didn't realize he only had 2 years left. Should've gotten him that russian winger to convince him to stay...

Fine young man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Sameheda

As much as it pains me to say it since he's my favorite player to ever wear the winged wheel, I think he's gone in two years. I don't blame him; having a daughter in Europe, getting older, having no Russian winger - hell, no GOOD winger. He seemed much happier with Z on his side... now, especially last season, it was pretty evident to me that he isn't overly excited to be on the ice every other night. I'm sure partly it was due to the Lokomotiv tragedy as well.

Sameheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine young man View Post
Damn this makes me sad... He's my favorite player. I didn't realize he only had 2 years left. Should've gotten him that russian winger to convince him to stay...
Yes, that's the difference maker. Not to mention we don't know if he is certainly going to leave in two years. If you were being sarcastic punch me in the face.

Whenever he leaves, i'm going to miss him. I'm quite sure his daughter is his #1 priority. Pashas mother died when he was 16.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:37 AM
tfong

Man thinking about this makes me sad.

Lidstrom this year, Dats in two, Z's back in one....everyone is leaving!!!

Hoping he goes hof, he should tho with the selkes and the cup wings won he?

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:51 PM
RabbinsDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Man thinking about this makes me sad.

Lidstrom this year, Dats in two, Z's back in one....everyone is leaving!!!

Hoping he goes hof, he should tho with the selkes and the cup wings won he?
Datsyuk might not be a slam dunk 1st year induction but he will definitely be a Hall of Famer. Zetterberg is the one who probably needs more.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:02 PM
doublejack

Time to start scouting the top five 16 year olds...

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
This is a good point. There's a slight chance Datsyuk might sign a one-year deal after his current contract runs out, depending on what team we can ice by then, but it's relatively clear that he won't stay here until he's 40. I'm with the majority here, he'll go back to Russia after his contract ends.

We'll have to hope that we can sign some Free Agents by the time he's about to leave, because with our current pace of acquisition, we're screwed.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:08 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Time to start scouting the top five 16 year olds...
The sky is falling!

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote