Zach Parise AND Ryan Suter (13 years, $7.5M Cap Hit) III

Old
08-12-2012, 08:16 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Oh I would GLADLY argue that loudly. I actually took the time and went through the Stars roster today, here is their top 9:

Eriksson-Benn-Ryder
Jagr-Roy-Whitney
Nystrom-Fiddler-Morrow

First of all their defense is as averag as ours is, and their goaltending can also be as hot or ice cold as ours, so let's look at that offense.

Eriksson and Benn two superstars no question. The rest of that offense? Ryder had a career year last year, not saying he won't be good again, but they aren't called career years for nothing, he'll come back to earth this year. And you want Jagr, Roy and Whitney anchoring your second line? Morrow btw, is banged up, and more and more ineffective, he does not have much time life. Nystrom also will of course not come anywhere close to the numbers he produced from no where last year.

But back to that second line, Jagr did not seem all that thrilled to be there considering he talked about Montreal and wanting to be there the day he signed. Jagr also broke down the second half of last year and he was playing on a great offensive team where he was a secondary scorer, next year he will be counted on to produce at his age. I'm telling ya that ain't happening all year long, and i'm betting he's gone by the trade deadline. Whitney seems like an ageless wonder but at some point the glass is going to run out on that tank, and it's going to be on the Stars watch, and Derek Roy anchoring the second line over Ribeiro? Guy won't stay healthy and see 50 games next year.

Their scoring depth is shallow, it's a poorly, poorly put together team realying on some wierd combination of youth and old, old geezers and I bet ya they finish right where Calgary is in the 9-13 range next year and I will be SHOCKED, SHOCKED if they somehow make the playoffs next year.
You say you'd strongly argue that they didn't improve, then all you say is that you think their team is bad. That's not making a relevant argument. Improving and being good aren't anywhere close to the same thing.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:31 PM
SupremeNachos

vCash: 916
They improved by no by a ton.

SupremeNachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeNachos View Post
They improved by no by a ton.
What?

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:50 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
What?
Translation: They improved, but not by a ton.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Sportserie

I just laughed like crazy reading this:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=18

"Do you honestly believe he will go there"

Believe it, dude, believe it.

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I don't know how many NHL jerseys have been sold since the Wild signed Parise and Suter, but I have to say the t-shirt with the Wild logo on the front and Parise 11 on the back has to be one of the most popular ones up here in the GF area. I saw at least 35 people walking around today wearing them. (including me )

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:11 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
^there are pleeeenty of the knock offs floating around ebay right now. the knock off makers have gotten better with the color of the greens, but that shiny puffy logo and number is a dead give away. alongside reebok as wrong font, wrong collar, etc.

00xtremeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
You say you'd strongly argue that they didn't improve, then all you say is that you think their team is bad. That's not making a relevant argument. Improving and being good aren't anywhere close to the same thing.
That's fair, to clarify Dallas didn't regress that much, it's not like Ribeiro and Souray are high impact players, but they did not improve much at all, and will be fringe playoff team like Calgary all year long. Jagr, Roy, Morrow will all break down and be ineffective, and Whitney will age, their defense is truly average at best and so is their goaltending.

Benn will be superstar in this league, but Eriksson is a good player not great, that is also true, and Ryder will not be as good this year either.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:47 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
That's fair, to clarify Dallas didn't regress that much, it's not like Ribeiro and Souray are high impact players, but they did not improve much at all, and will be fringe playoff team like Calgary all year long. Jagr, Roy, Morrow will all break down and be ineffective, and Whitney will age, their defense is truly average at best and so is their goaltending.

Benn will be superstar in this league, but Eriksson is a good player not great, that is also true, and Ryder will not be as good this year either.
All they lost was Ott, Ribeiro, Dvorak, and Souray, but they added Jagr, Roy, Whitney, and Rome. With Rome played correctly (as a bottom pairing guy) unlike he was in Vancouver, he's actually pretty decent. Larsen is looking to build upon his rookie year, and was coming along quite well at the end of the season. They have Dillon or Oleksiak who might get their first shot on the blue line as well.

With the aging of their prospect corps, they have the same sort of depth we will have (though I of course think the quality of our depth is greater) this season in case Whitney doesn't put up 20 like he has all but twice since the lockout (17 in 05-06 but only played 63 games and 17 his first year with extremely low-scoring Phoenix). Jagr put up 19 goals in 73 games with Philly. His previous 3 NHL seasons (yes I know, big jump of KHL time) were 25, 30, and 54 goal seasons. Maybe Ryder will fall off of his last season, but people are acting like it was a freak and way better than ever possible. It was his third 30 goal season. It was his fifth (out of eight) 25+ goal season. The fewest goals he's ever scored in a healthy year is 18. It's not like "falling off" from his 35 last year is going to be that dramatic. He'll likely dip back under 30, but he didn't even set a career high for points last year. He's still a lock for at least 20, and probably at least 25.

From players gone, they've lost about 39 goals. Assume Ryder falls off by 11 goals and you get -50. They've added about 20 in Jagr, 20 in Whitney, and 20+ in Roy. That nets them up 10+ goals, which would be more than the difference between them making and missing the playoffs last season. That's not considering the fact that Goligoski will likely rebound from a down year. Larsen is improving, and Benn hasn't come close to peaking yet. I'd say the only way one could expect Dallas to miss the playoffs is if they think other teams around them improved more.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:59 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Dallas will benefit from stellar goaltending from Lehtonen early in the season and then regress to the mean...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Sportserie

Question... does anyone know of a good article that explains that exact epicness that exists given that we nabbed Parise and Suter? Sort of like how it all came together, their Minnesota ties and how everyone and their brother wanted them and so many laughed at our chances of getting one, let alone both?

I am trying to explain how huge this is to a friend that is not hockey informed at all and lives in a different country for that matter. Did Russo or anyone else write a great article summing up the situation? I sort of looked around now after the fact and have struck out so far. Thanks in advance if anyone has some links.

Old
08-14-2012, 04:54 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
Question... does anyone know of a good article that explains that exact epicness that exists given that we nabbed Parise and Suter? Sort of like how it all came together, their Minnesota ties and how everyone and their brother wanted them and so many laughed at our chances of getting one, let alone both?

I am trying to explain how huge this is to a friend that is not hockey informed at all and lives in a different country for that matter. Did Russo or anyone else write a great article summing up the situation? I sort of looked around now after the fact and have struck out so far. Thanks in advance if anyone has some links.
Russo's "72 Hours" article - http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...5.html?refer=y

Ben Goessling's "How the deals got done" piece - http://blogs.twincities.com/wild/201...eals-got-done/

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

This guy is still ********.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...93&postcount=4

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I ****ing hate that "word".

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Eh. He can be ignorant and troll if he wants to. This team will prove him wrong.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Sportserie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Russo's "72 Hours" article - http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...5.html?refer=y

Ben Goessling's "How the deals got done" piece - http://blogs.twincities.com/wild/201...eals-got-done/
Thank you so much, they're perfect!

Old
08-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Sportserie

Quote:
LOL. I am astounded over how obsessed those people are with Parise. I cannot believe they are acting like he owed them something. Some are saying he made a "home" there and he left his home. lol Okay then. lol

I remember how I felt when Marbury bolted for NJ/NY and left Garnett and the great potential they had possibly winning a championship. He left more out of jealousy though but I remember thinking the guy did go home (even if he was a creep about it) and whatever, I moved on about a week after it took place. That situation also went down in such a different way.

I do think deep down the reason why so many of those people are taking it so hard is because they never imagined he would sign with the Wild. I think because they weren't prepared for it is why it is so difficult for them to accept. I have NO IDEA how they didn't prepare for this but I don't think most did because they assumed he would go to a contender and not a rebuilding team, even his hometown. So I think the shock value is what's making the hurt so intense. Still, move on already and accept the fact that you were dead wrong and never should have underestimated the state of Minnesota and the Wild.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Wildfan10*

Quote:
That's the same dipsh** that thought it was tampering when yeo and leopold said after the signing that "they've been planning to go after both suter and parise all year".

He thought the league was going to give the devils our top prospects lol.

Even after tons of people called him an idiot, (including devils fans) he still thought we were tampering

Wildfan10* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:44 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

yeah, i think that's the guy that a few other anti-wild posters called embarrassing.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post

Quote:
The numbers turned out to be 13 years and $98 million. The contracts included identical signing bonus structures ($25 million the first three years) and no-trade clauses. Both players could have made more elsewhere. Parise reportedly had been offered $110 million by Philadelphia. Suter was offered more than $100 million by a team Sheehy wouldn't identify.

To make the Minnesota contracts identical, Parise actually took less than the Wild had offered him.
Bookmarked for future Pari$e and $uter references.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

I wish that quote had been in the Mainboard OP when both Parise & Suter had just been signed.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:16 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Who cares, he's just making himself look bad.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:20 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I wish that quote had been in the Mainboard OP when both Parise & Suter had just been signed.
Wouldn't matter anyway.

Old
08-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
I literally have four of five quotes I have written down under this guys name for when we get to trolololololol all over that board.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:33 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
I literally have four of five quotes I have written down under this guys name for when we get to trolololololol all over that board.
It will never happen, you will get banned. Allow me to do it for you, I will bite that bullet