HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wake up MacT!

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 07:55 PM
Hemsky4PM

vCash: 500
Wake up MacT!

Not to harp on the whole MacT business...but...here're some not so little things (others have already said I'm sure):

PK- worst
PP- not much better

Smyth on the third line??? Let's turn on of our only scorers into a checking center! Brilliant!

Why does Isbister ride the pine while their worst forward to this point, Horcoff, just gets sympathy from the coach? Horcs averages over 15 minutes a night, while Isbister gets around 12 and a half. What? That can't be true! Oh, but it is.

Why are Pisani and Moreau consistently (recently) tossed out on the PP? They are good defensive forwards, but they are a waste on the PP. I'd rather see D-vo and Hemsky over-pass than watch Moreau and Pisani stiffle the opposition's penalty killers!

Semenov gets singled out for not being physical enough. What about Brewer and Smith? They throw the rare big hit, but haven't been real physical presences over the coarse of a whole game.

Why not try producing offense at the start of the game. A good start would be to put the "lesser" talent players on the 4th line and give them a defined role: change momentum by hitting and forechecking, or ride the pine. Then the "higher" talent guys can do their thing.

Why is the third line so unchangable??? Maybe Pisani could sit a game. Obviously he's not helping the PK (in fairness, nobody is). How did Fernando become a LOCK to play every single game??????????????

Here's a suggestion for a possible line-up to try:

Smyth- Oates- Hemsky
Torres- York- Dvorak
Moreau- Stoll- Isbister
Chimera- Horcoff- Laraque/Pisani

Oh NO! That third line could be a liability! The worst players might get jealous of the other player's ice time and...(shudder) TRY HARDER! MacT's defensive style is killing this team. I'm tired of hearing about Horcoff's lack of confidence while MacT continues to put him on the ice to "work through it". Fourth liners aren't going to win games for us. And we don't have Detroit or Ottawa type talent to have a balanced line-up. When Reasoner returns, Horcoff must come out!

Old
12-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Isbister

Why in the Double HE Hockey Sticks is everyone saying Isbister was benched the last game. HE WAS NOT BENCHED!!! Isbister has a strained back and couldn't play. He's day-to-day.

12-01-2003, 08:33 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Why in the Double HE Hockey Sticks is everyone saying Isbister was benched the last game. HE WAS NOT BENCHED!!! Isbister has a strained back and couldn't play. He's day-to-day.
Where in the post did it say Isbister was benched against SJ? I'm just saying he needs to be more than a 4th liner to be successful.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:46 PM
27theROCK

well said. i love everything you said. I hate how mac t plays favorites. Pisani is a decent player but how does he stay in the lineup over other players. I love how he talks about how terrible players like isbister and laraque are but as soon as they do anything bad they get benched. I dont think they can play with wrecklessness when they are in fear of getting in the dog house. I wouldnt mind seeing these two on the pp and parked in front of the net. it seems that we never have any traffic in front of the net. i just want to say i hate mac t.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:09 AM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Minus the game against Columbus recently, Isbister has shown he should be benched. That may be where this comes from. The Oilers got fooled by his "potential" when they dealt for him. It's time to see if they can pull the wool over someone else's eyes if they want to improve their team...

Old
12-02-2003, 07:18 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Fourth liners aren't going to win games for us. And we don't have Detroit or Ottawa type talent to have a balanced line-up. When Reasoner returns, Horcoff must come out!
Actually, fourth liners are going to win games for us. The Oilers need them to in order to have success. The Oilers don't have the top level talent of a lot of teams, so they need the guys like Horcoff, Chimera, Pisani, etc to get 25-35 points each this season.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:34 AM
Cowboy

Send a message via MSN to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
I agree with most of what you said. It was a good rant. Good job!

Smyth can't be a 3rd liner. Thats the biggest problem. People wonder why he is playing like a 3rd liner, its because he is playing on a 3rd line.

Semenov getting benched i can handle. He is still young, Defensman take a bit longer to develope, it won't hurt giving hime some constructive critism sometimes. Hime being a 5/6 guy this year, you can afford to sit him once in a while. Smith and Brewer paly top minutes against top players every night, you cna't sit them.

Isbister has played well i think when he's been healthy, but that hasn't been often, therefore he's been sitting due to injuries.

Pisani should definately not be a shoe in every night, esp with reasoner out, but i thin khe has played well enough to play every game. Not on the PP, but that is a different topic.

And i think that they are trying to get things started early now. They outshot SJ 15-1 in the 1st last game, unfortunately it was ties 1-1. That is a good start though, at least they are shooting.

They have a good schedule the next 10 games or so, hopefully they get back on track and don't waste anytime getting back over .500.

Go oilers!!!

Old
12-02-2003, 10:42 AM
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Not to harp on the whole MacT business...but...here're some not so little things (others have already said I'm sure):

PK- worst
PP- not much better

Smyth on the third line??? Let's turn on of our only scorers into a checking center! Brilliant!

Why does Isbister ride the pine while their worst forward to this point, Horcoff, just gets sympathy from the coach? Horcs averages over 15 minutes a night, while Isbister gets around 12 and a half. What? That can't be true! Oh, but it is.

Why are Pisani and Moreau consistently (recently) tossed out on the PP? They are good defensive forwards, but they are a waste on the PP. I'd rather see D-vo and Hemsky over-pass than watch Moreau and Pisani stiffle the opposition's penalty killers!

Semenov gets singled out for not being physical enough. What about Brewer and Smith? They throw the rare big hit, but haven't been real physical presences over the coarse of a whole game.

Why not try producing offense at the start of the game. A good start would be to put the "lesser" talent players on the 4th line and give them a defined role: change momentum by hitting and forechecking, or ride the pine. Then the "higher" talent guys can do their thing.

Why is the third line so unchangable??? Maybe Pisani could sit a game. Obviously he's not helping the PK (in fairness, nobody is). How did Fernando become a LOCK to play every single game??????????????

Here's a suggestion for a possible line-up to try:

Smyth- Oates- Hemsky
Torres- York- Dvorak
Moreau- Stoll- Isbister
Chimera- Horcoff- Laraque/Pisani

Oh NO! That third line could be a liability! The worst players might get jealous of the other player's ice time and...(shudder) TRY HARDER! MacT's defensive style is killing this team. I'm tired of hearing about Horcoff's lack of confidence while MacT continues to put him on the ice to "work through it". Fourth liners aren't going to win games for us. And we don't have Detroit or Ottawa type talent to have a balanced line-up. When Reasoner returns, Horcoff must come out!
I support you very much questioning MacT's decisions. I would add that Salmelainen could have taken Pisani's spot when he was up here. Also, I'd be interested in seeing Izzy play RW on the top line with Smyth and Oates.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:46 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis
I support you very much questioning MacT's decisions. I would add that Salmelainen could have taken Pisani's spot when he was up here. Also, I'd be interested in seeing Izzy play RW on the top line with Smyth and Oates.
Pisani is in a checking role, and he is far more suited to that than Salmo. I have nothing against Salmo (hell, I was the original one saying he should be the first callup), but he can't replace Pisani (at least not in the role the Oilers are currently using him).

Old
12-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Pisani is in a checking role, and he is far more suited to that than Salmo. I have nothing against Salmo (hell, I was the original one saying he should be the first callup), but he can't replace Pisani (at least not in the role the Oilers are currently using him).

I don't see why not. The only way you find out is by giving him a chance. The way MacT coaches we'll never know the potential of some of our young players. Salmo and Moreau with their speed could be excellent penalty killers. And given the chance maybe Salmo could be more offensively productive than Pisani. I think Pisani could have used a game off to spur him on. In the same way Laraque and Izzy have been put in the press box.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:08 AM
Walsher

Quote:
I don't see why not. The only way you find out is by giving him a chance. The way MacT coaches we'll never know the potential of some of our young players. Salmo and Moreau with their speed could be excellent penalty killers. And given the chance maybe Salmo could be more offensively productive than Pisani. I think Pisani could have used a game off to spur him on. In the same way Laraque and Izzy have been put in the press box.
Salmo is an offensive player. Pisani is the perfect 3rd line checker. Pisani isn't the problem on this team and Salmo in that role isn't the answer.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:15 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
I have watched Salmo play numerous times, and his game isn't that of a 3rd line, shut the opposition down checker. His top end is a 2nd line player, but at worst I see him as a 4th line energy guy who gets about 10 minutes per game and creates a lot of chances, but to get him to be a checking winger sort of takes his effectiveness away, as that is usually more suited to a bigger guy who hits (which Salmo doesn't do).

Old
12-03-2003, 10:02 AM
Axis

Quote:
I have watched Salmo play numerous times, and his game isn't that of a 3rd line, shut the opposition down checker. His top end is a 2nd line player, but at worst I see him as a 4th line energy guy who gets about 10 minutes per game and creates a lot of chances, but to get him to be a checking winger sort of takes his effectiveness away, as that is usually more suited to a bigger guy who hits (which Salmo doesn't do).

He plays bigger than his size though. Our penalty killing is the worst in the league. We've obviously lost Marchant who was smaller yet extremely fast. I personally would have liked to have seen Salmo given a chance to play beside Smytty and Moreau on the 3rd line - what if he would have started scoring. He could have been dynamite penalty killing with Moreau. Also, I totally agree with you on his offensive upside. I can't see him uprooting Hemsky or Dvo as 1st or 2nd line RW's and putting him on the 4th line takes out Laraque. That's why I would have liked to have seen him on the 3rd line. MacT in my opinion is far too conservative a coach.

Old
12-03-2003, 10:55 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
He plays bigger than his size though. Our penalty killing is the worst in the league. We've obviously lost Marchant who was smaller yet extremely fast. I personally would have liked to have seen Salmo given a chance to play beside Smytty and Moreau on the 3rd line - what if he would have started scoring. He could have been dynamite penalty killing with Moreau. Also, I totally agree with you on his offensive upside. I can't see him uprooting Hemsky or Dvo as 1st or 2nd line RW's and putting him on the 4th line takes out Laraque. That's why I would have liked to have seen him on the 3rd line. MacT in my opinion is far too conservative a coach.
If he isn't good enough to be a penalty killer on the roadrunners, why exactly would you think he would be good enough in Edmonton? His game is not as a defensive player responsible for going out and shutting down the oppositions top line.

Thinking back, I honestly can't remember ever seeing Salmo killing a penalty (in Hamilton or Toronto).

Old
12-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Master Lok

Wow... people are on drugs here, desperate to make changes... ANY changes!

Salmo on the 3rd line? Uh... no. He's not a checker or PK in the AHL, why would you put him there in the NHL? Isbister instead of Horcoff? Issy isn't a centre, and we've already seen what forcing such a change to Smyth has done. We just need another centre back in to force Horcoff to the PB. Too bad Sarno wasn't the answer.

Old
12-03-2003, 11:06 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Wow... people are on drugs here, desperate to make changes... ANY changes!

Salmo on the 3rd line? Uh... no. He's not a checker or PK in the AHL, why would you put him there in the NHL? Isbister instead of Horcoff? Issy isn't a centre, and we've already seen what forcing such a change to Smyth has done. We just need another centre back in to force Horcoff to the PB. Too bad Sarno wasn't the answer.
Sarno was pretty solid, but unfortunately, when the team gets healthy, he has to get sent down to the minors, and that means he needs to clear waivers again. I don't think the Oilers wanted to risk that with him at this point.

Old
12-03-2003, 01:14 PM
momentai

Quote:
Sarno was pretty solid, but unfortunately, when the team gets healthy, he has to get sent down to the minors, and that means he needs to clear waivers again. I don't think the Oilers wanted to risk that with him at this point.
Solid but pretty invisible most of the time regardless of the players he played with. When he was playing with Ryan Smyth, I hardly noticed that line at all.

Old
12-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Digger12

Quote:
I apologize if I'm misunderstanding here, but I thought Sarno was already sent down to Toronto, and played with them this past weekend? I could've sworn I saw him on a line with Wright and Henrich, and looking not that visible.

Old
12-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Allan

He's in Toronto. I think DB meant that that would be the case if the Oilers had played him more.

Closed Thread