HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Breakout Prospect - Derek Grant

Old
08-12-2012, 07:01 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
I think Murray will make a move before camp or during camp that'll free up a roster spot for Hoffman/Zibanejad which will then move up Grant.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:08 PM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Whoa whoa there, I wasn't laughing at you or your opinion, just the disagreement.

Agreed on Pageau, but if he did he has as good a chance as being a successful top 6er as Grant. No Prince isn't guaranteed top 6 (only Stone is), but Prince has the inside track over Grant imo. Anyway Grant plays centre unlike Prince.

The Sens believe Stone is almost NHL ready. An almost NHL ready scorer will certainly play in the top 6 in the AHL. He'll likely be the #1 RW right away.

Sure, agreed about Cannone. Cannone showed much more last year than Grant, just saying they're on even footing right now when it comes to a top 6 spot. Neither may be in the top 6.

I see it going down as

Hoffman - Da Costa - Stone
Prince - Zibanejad - Petersson
DD - Cannone - Jessiman
Caporusso- Hamilton - Grant

If Zib is in the NHL, move up Cannone/Grant a spot. If there's a lockout, say hello to JOB and maybe even a guy like Turris, so good luck with that Mr. Grant
I tried to fill in the blanks for you..

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:09 PM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
When Grant signed Tim Murray said he liked him as a winger more then a center... I would imagine if the depth is heavy up the middle they would give Grant an opportunity on winger on a higher line.
This, Grant did not play much center last season. He played mostly on the wing.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post

The Sens believe Stone is almost NHL ready. An almost NHL ready scorer will certainly play in the top 6 in the AHL. He'll likely be the #1 RW right away.
The Sens also believed Rundblad was ready.

I am not saying Stone won't be what you are suggesting, just that with the log jam of forwards on one-way deals it is going to be tough for him to stick.

After watching most of the development camp, Stone, Zibby, etc have a ways to go to even catch Hoffman IMO.

IMO the only way Zibby or Stone start the year in Ottawa is if Murray makes a deal or two.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:43 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
I tried to fill in the blanks for you..
I think Kramer and or Culek will play ahead Capo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post

I am not saying Stone won't be what you are suggesting, just that with the log jam of forwards on one-way deals it is going to be tough for him to stick.

After watching most of the development camp, Stone, Zibby, etc have a ways to go to even catch Hoffman IMO.

IMO the only way Zibby or Stone start the year in Ottawa is if Murray makes a deal or two.
I agree. The point is, Stone will play in Bingo's top 6.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:14 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
I'm a big fan of his skill package, I think this is the year we see him take a big leap in development as he becomes a go to player in Bingo and plays at a 60 point pace. He is a big hockey player at 6'3 and 200lbs... I'd like to see him around 210 when he enters camp

Along with his size he can cycle the puck well as he is good along the boards... he has above average play making skills... he has the ability to develop into a very good defensive player too... skates well.

After a breakout season in Bingo, he is going to be pushing for the 3C spot on the Sens come 13/14
I have thought this & said it on here many times that I thought Grant would some day be Ottawa's third line centre. I have also said how much I like Dzuirzynski & he too could have a breakout yr. Another guy with a nice combination of skill & size is Culek.

Quote:
When Grant signed Tim Murray said he liked him as a winger more then a center... I would imagine if the depth is heavy up the middle they would give Grant an opportunity on winger on a higher line.
Grant played RW in Bingo last yr & could again this yr. There are also countless possibilities happening this yr in Bingo. First, if there is a lockout Bingo could get three or four or five players expected to play in Ottawa next season, that could hurt Grant`s development. Second, he will have some hefty competition at RW or centre from Petersson, Stone, Zibanejad, Jessiman, Da Costa, Cannoe, DD, Hamilton & Caporusso. Third, a few guys might not play in Bingo next yr, Prince & Pageau could be returned to junior, Petersson could return to Sweden to play & Caporruso, Downing & Hamilton could start the yr in Elmira. These could help Grant`s chances next season.

Personally, I hope that Coach Richardson makes a few changes to personnel in Bingo for next season. I would like to see the following forward lineup:

Hoffman - Da Costa - Zibanejad
Schneider - Cannone - Stone
Culek - Grant - Dzuirzynski
Cowick - Kramer - Jessiman/Hamilton

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I have thought this & said it on here many times that I thought Grant would some day be Ottawa's third line centre. I have also said how much I like Dzuirzynski & he too could have a breakout yr. Another guy with a nice combination of skill & size is Culek.

Grant played RW in Bingo last yr & could again this yr. There are also countless possibilities happening this yr in Bingo. First, if there is a lockout Bingo could get three or four or five players expected to play in Ottawa next season, that could hurt Grant`s development. Second, he will have some hefty competition at RW or centre from Petersson, Stone, Zibanejad, Jessiman, Da Costa, Cannoe, DD, Hamilton & Caporusso. Third, a few guys might not play in Bingo next yr, Prince & Pageau could be returned to junior, Petersson could return to Sweden to play & Caporruso, Downing & Hamilton could start the yr in Elmira. These could help Grant`s chances next season.

Personally, I hope that Coach Richardson makes a few changes to personnel in Bingo for next season. I would like to see the following forward lineup:

Hoffman - Da Costa - Zibanejad
Schneider - Cannone - Stone
Culek - Grant - Dzuirzynski
Cowick - Kramer - Jessiman/Hamilton
Any player on a 1-way contract won't be going to Binghamton should there be a lockout IMO. A lockout probably only means that all of Zibby, Stone, and Silfverberg are in Bingo, instead of just 2 of the 3.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Two observations from reading this thread:
- As someone mentioned, top six/bottom six distinction doesn't mean the same thing in the AHL. Saying Stone is a 'lock' for top 6 doesn't really mean anything. Ice time will come and go with these guys - some will get more of a chance than others but all the young guys will be inconsistent and ice time will vary accordingly.

- A lot of people are going to be really disappointed with the pace that our prospects develop. Some of them are going to struggle to adapt and take a couple of years to develop, and there's nothing wrong with that. Some of them will never make the NHL. We are starting to sound like Leafs fans.

That wasn't a shot at Grant - I don't really know anything about him but good to see people are so high on him. Bingo will be interesting to follow this year

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:10 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Any player on a 1-way contract won't be going to Binghamton should there be a lockout IMO. A lockout probably only means that all of Zibby, Stone, and Silfverberg are in Bingo, instead of just 2 of the 3.
What about Cowen &/or Bishop?

Old
08-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
I actually like DD more than Grant. So far Grant hasn't shown much of an offensive side to his game. He's had a difficult time finishing in the two seasons he's been in Bingo. That said, he could have the light switch moment this season and start to produce like you think he may. DD seemed to turn a corner around February last year. I'd look at him closely this season to see if it carries over.
I agree, Grant has a long ways to go, not seeing it..DD needs to turn it up now as well

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:58 AM
Canuckman44

They are not high enough draft picks for the gift placement so they will really need to earn there way onto the big team. I say that they are at least a year and a half away for their callup. The higher picks will get their chance first.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:59 AM
TrueGrit

Quote:
What about Cowen &/or Bishop?
Yes, if there was a lockout Cowen would most certainly play in Bingo. Bishop signed a one way deal this year and would have to look for hockey elsewhere.

The AHL/CHL/WJC quality of competition would be much better.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 05:06 AM
The Fuhr

After 16GP he leads Bingo in goals

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
After 16GP he leads Bingo in goals
Yep, certainly looking like a good call on the OP. Will be interested to see how far he can take it this season.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:39 AM
jbeck5

Quote:

And rundblad would have played on the first pairing if he had played in binghamton. I don't see how mentioned rundblad, who never played in binghamton, but would have been first pairing had he played relates to stone playing in the top 6 in binghamton. Bringing up rundblad made no sense.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:28 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:

Rundblad is doing pretty well this season at the AHL level.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
You guys are quoting something someone said almost 4 months ago

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:53 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
You guys are quoting something someone said almost 4 months ago
And how does that help it make sense? It still had nothing to do with stone. Unless you can enlighten me.

In case you didn't realize, my beef with the post had nothing to do with it being outdated, and had everything to do with the fact it didn't make sense. Not now, not 4 months ago, not in 4 months.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:10 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Really happy to see that a few guys I like in Bingo are doing very well. First, Robin Lehner who I picked as Ottawa's best prospect seems to be having a great start. Second, good to see Grant & DD off to such good starts so far this yr & also Stone, Zibanejad, Wiercioch & Gryba although he was hurt a lot early on. Would like to see Jessiman use his size more & mix it up more.

How about Culek in Halifax with points in his last six games?

Old
12-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Culek is going to have to fight for a spot on Bingo next year. Keep in mind Noesen and Puempel will be assigned to Bingo if they do not make the team out of training camp

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:24 PM
source

Fuhr knows what's up.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:25 PM
source

Quote:
Really happy to see that a few guys I like in Bingo are doing very well. First, Robin Lehner who I picked as Ottawa's best prospect seems to be having a great start. Second, good to see Grant & DD off to such good starts so far this yr & also Stone, Zibanejad, Wiercioch & Gryba although he was hurt a lot early on. Would like to see Jessiman use his size more & mix it up more.

How about Culek in Halifax with points in his last six games?
He plays for the Mooseheads???

Old
12-02-2012, 01:31 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Culek is going to have to fight for a spot on Bingo next year. Keep in mind Noesen and Puempel will be assigned to Bingo if they do not make the team out of training camp
I assume that a few players will be gone next season like maybe Petersson & Caporusso & a few will be in Ottawa like Silfverberg, Zibanejad & Stone. Culek also has a nice combination of size & skill & already plays a very good two way game. He can also play wing or centre which makes him a versatile addition.

There are a few more players in Bingo that I would put him ahead of too including Cowick & Da Costa. As Culek matures he will be able to add some much needed muscle to his 6'4 frame. He had a good WJC tournament & a good training camp by all accounts & a good start to his season with Halifax so far. I still have high hopes for him.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:48 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
He was a thrashers fan?

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:53 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
He was a thrashers fan?
He had a random hard-on for that team, just like he does for Grant and so many others.

It's not about hockey knowledge with Fuhr. Back in the day it was freakin' hilarious how he'd justify himself with stats. Anyone remember "The Spanky"?