HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eastern Conference Power Rankings - Pick The BEST Team In The East

View Poll Results: What is the Best team in the East this coming season?
Pittsburgh Penguins 33 19.30%
New York Rangers 138 80.70%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Hagelin scored 14 goals in 64 games.

You mean to say Hagelin is a better goal scorer than Kreider?

The season will probably be roughly 60 games with the lockout. Kreider who has far more skill and a far better release can't score more than Hagelin?

He scored at a 30 goal pace in the playoffs. With no training camp, no pro experience.

20-25 goals is a more realistic range. He will be playing with Nash, Stepan, Gaborik, Richards most of the time.
Kreider had a 25 goal pace if you round up. Blurring the lines doesn't prove your point.

Also, for what it's worth, I think the "player A had x goals, and player B is 'better', so he MUST score more" is an arbitrary and misguided way of looking at things. You judge a player's potential production by looking at what said player can do, not just say vaguely compare him to a supposed "lesser" player.

Hagelin was much more polished than Kreider and still is. Kreider stepped in and produced, but there were noticeable flaws in his game, and while I believe he will produce, there is no guarantee he outproduces a player like Hagelin who is much more comfortable in his role and simply a smarter player.

I would be happy with 20 goals from Kreider, so long as he shows improvement in his overall offensive game.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:19 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
IMO Crosby and Malkin are the two best players in the game. They have some very good scoring wing options to work with. That's two lethal lines and a lethal pwp.

Fleury is not Lundqvist good but he's still really good. They need to fix up their D a bit and I expect they'll work on it--but in any case they have a number of fine looking d prospects--Despres, Morrow, Pouliot and Dumoulin. That area is going to improve in time.

Losing Staal and Michalek should hurt them for now--they don't seem to be quite as good on paper. The Rangers have closed the gap somewhat on the offensive side but Nash, Gaborik and Richards aren't really on the level of Malkin or Crosby. I'd give the Pens the edge.

Any case--I think are focus should be more about the playoffs than who wins the President's trophy this year. Getting a good position certainly helps but the Rangers are going to need to be healthy and they're going to gear up for the postseason better than they did last year.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:58 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
IMO Crosby and Malkin are the two best players in the game. They have some very good scoring wing options to work with. That's two lethal lines and a lethal pwp.

Fleury is not Lundqvist good but he's still really good. They need to fix up their D a bit and I expect they'll work on it--but in any case they have a number of fine looking d prospects--Despres, Morrow, Pouliot and Dumoulin. That area is going to improve in time.

Losing Staal and Michalek should hurt them for now--they don't seem to be quite as good on paper. The Rangers have closed the gap somewhat on the offensive side but Nash, Gaborik and Richards aren't really on the level of Malkin or Crosby. I'd give the Pens the edge.

Any case--I think are focus should be more about the playoffs than who wins the President's trophy this year. Getting a good position certainly helps but the Rangers are going to need to be healthy and they're going to gear up for the postseason better than they did last year.
Damn straight. Not going to lie, being the #1 seed in the East last year was just fantastic! I celebrated when they clinched against the Flyers and I was excited just to see the little "z" next to their name in the standings.

However, from March onwards (and including the playoffs), the Rangers posted a completely pedestrian record of 21-19-1 (21-16-4 if you want include Playoff OT losses). Let's compare that to the eventual Stanley Cup Champion Kings, who went 27-8-3 in the same time frame.

The Rangers need to find a way to keep their players fresh and ready to go come playoff time this year. There was no doubt in my mind that this young team just wasn't ready for the grind it takes to win a Cup yet. They were tired, despite what Tortorella says. You can't let one middle-of-the-pack team take you to 7 games, much less 2.

Just be in a solid playoff spot come mid-March so you can cut down on the ice time for your most important players, and let the fact that you have the most balanced lineup in the league take you to the promised land. Any seed from either conference can get it done, as evidenced by the Kings last year.

...that said, I think the Rangers capture the #1 spot in the Conference again, but if not, the focus should be entirely on readiness to take care of business in the first couple of rounds and have plenty in the tank to achieve the ultimate goal.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

its incredibly hard to do what the Kings did.

seeding is HUGE. get the #1 seed, get the easiest path to the championship.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Lundsanity30

We won the east last year last I checked, we are the best until Pittsburgh takes it from us. Not to mention also adding Rick Nash makes us even better (on paper).

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Kreider had a 25 goal pace if you round up. Blurring the lines doesn't prove your point.

Also, for what it's worth, I think the "player A had x goals, and player B is 'better', so he MUST score more" is an arbitrary and misguided way of looking at things. You judge a player's potential production by looking at what said player can do, not just say vaguely compare him to a supposed "lesser" player.

Hagelin was much more polished than Kreider and still is. Kreider stepped in and produced, but there were noticeable flaws in his game, and while I believe he will produce, there is no guarantee he outproduces a player like Hagelin who is much more comfortable in his role and simply a smarter player.

I would be happy with 20 goals from Kreider, so long as he shows improvement in his overall offensive game.
Kreider is a better hockey player on nearly every level.

Skating
Strength
Skill
Shot
Hands
Vision
Size
Offensive instincts

Based on what a player can do...Kreider is on another level compared to Hagelin.

Again, Kreider will be playing with the team's top offensive players. There is no reason he can't score 25 in a full season. 15? That is not what anyone in the organization will be looking for from him.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote