Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Draft Help: Rules to go by

Old
08-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

vCash: 500
Draft Help: Rules to go by

Just getting into Football and subsequently fantasy football. Sometimes it's the best way to get educated on players and teams (second to actually watching games ofcourse). I've got years of fantasy experience with other sports, but need some advice for this.

What are some rules to go by in the draft process?

For example, when it comes to Baseball, you can usually wait till the 3rd or 4th round to select a pitcher. In hockey you usually wait around the same time, maybe a little bit less, to select a goalie.

Are there any stats in particular I should be bulking up on? What are the shallowest positions?

Now I know there are lots of different formats and specs for leagues, but let's just talk in general here. For example, alot of the time in fantasy baseball I find myself struggling to keep a low ERA/WHIP, so I bulk up on quality starters. Where as with outfielders, you can usually find a good one on the waiver-wire/FA throughout the season if you have a gap to fill no matter how deep the league is.

Any help, advice, or comments appreciated. Also if you have a league that's looking for a bottom-feeder, I'm your guy lol. I'm active one way or another, just don't know how much success I'll have in my first year.

Cheers!

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Diskothek

My first year was last year. I ended up doing pretty well.

RBs are typically taken in the first few spots since there are so few RBs that dominate and so few systems that concentrate on running over/as much as passing. If you're outside the first few spots, I'd go with an elite QB. Then WR's and TE (especially someone like Gronkowski who Tom Brady loves to use). Defense and Kickers are taken toward the end.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

All depends on what the leagues scoring is, so its hard to say.

Some leagues are QB heavy while others favor RB and WRs. I usually go RB in round 1 regardless though.

You want to get your starting RBs within the 1st 4 rounds though, sometimes the 2 or 3, but really its all subject to how the draft goes.

Sometimes there's a run on them and no one left is worth a 3rd round pick for example.

Here are a few rules I always go by.

1. Draft for value you not need.
-If I have my starting RBs set but only one WR and there's a better RB available then the best WR I'll take the RB. You could always trade later. With that being said though don't go draft 8 RBs and only 2 WRs either.

2. DO NOT take a Kicker until the last round.
-The difference between the #1 and #15 Kickers at the end of the year is usually slim. There's always that one guy who picks Gostkowski in like round 11.
And DO NOT pick a backup Kicker. Not worth the roster spot. Just drop your starter on his Bye.
There are times I've dropped the #1 Kicker at the time. You could always pick him up again next week. If some dude claims a K on a bye to "screw you" that's his fault.

3. I don't pick a defense usually until the last few rounds. An elite one could be worth a higher pick but most of the time some moron picks the Ravens or Steelers in like round 6. And that's way too high for a DEF and not worth it, IMO.

Hope that helps.

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
It really does depend a lot on your scoring.

A few years ago, people would have been for the most part in consensus saying take RB's with your first two picks, RB's are everything etc. This philosophy is changing for many now though, to the point where some even speculate about taking a QB with the first pick.

As pointed out already, draft your kicker last, draft a defense near the end.

Do a couple of the mock live drafts and you will start to get a feel of where players get drafted.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

A rule of thumb is RB / QB at first, then WR's, then TE's, then K / D. I stick to this, but I also draft who I feel like regardless of position, and we usually end up going to the semi-finals, or the finals. I also tend to draft a lot of college talent that I've scouted in college.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Appreciate the help guys. I'll try and put it to good use.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:44 PM
MJG

Draft running backs. Like load up on them. There will be numerous receivers who emerge or breakthrough. The same cannot be said for running backs. There are very few good ones, so be sure to address them first. It is important to get at least two solid options and a third to slot into a flex role. If the value is there, grab a QB/WR/TE, but a running back will always be more valuable. And be sure to wait for the last round to grab a kicker and your defense. Don't be the guy who grabs Gostkowski or the Steelers D/ST in round 7. I'll be back with more pointers soon. But what I just wrote is Fantasy 101.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
Draft running backs. Like load up on them. There will be numerous receivers who emerge or breakthrough. The same cannot be said for running backs. There are very few good ones, so be sure to address them first. It is important to get at least two solid options and a third to slot into a flex role. If the value is there, grab a QB/WR/TE, but a running back will always be more valuable. And be sure to wait for the last round to grab a kicker and your defense. Don't be the guy who grabs Gostkowski or the Steelers D/ST in round 7. I'll be back with more pointers soon. But what I just wrote is Fantasy 101.
Appreciate it. What if the scenario has me picking mid-round, say 5th-6th, should I go for a RB still or grab the best QB available and use the next 2/3 rounds to fill up the RB position? I know different league specs can dictate which would be the best course of action, but just curious what you think. Cheers.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:49 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Appreciate it. What if the scenario has me picking mid-round, say 5th-6th, should I go for a RB still or grab the best QB available and use the next 2/3 rounds to fill up the RB position? I know different league specs can dictate which would be the best course of action, but just curious what you think. Cheers.
It really is a tough predicament. I know many people will disagree with me but I would pick MJD, CJ2K or Ryan Mathews. The 5 to 7 range is the worst place to be picking. Just pray you end up in the top 4 or the bottom 4.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:26 AM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
What size is your league? If its large (i.e. 12/14+) having a top 8 qb is quintessential (biggest drop off happens around here).

Don't get stuck up on "your guy" and don't focus on what the experts say on sleepers. Have a general knowledge on players and team's situations going in and get the best value you can.

Get one of Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski.

Draft players on teams that will be in the hunt and try to avoid those who may sit out the final weeks of the season.

Be aware of rb tandems. For example the Saints this year have 4 quality backs which is really going to drop the value of the individuals as fantasy options.

My personal draft hint: take Darren McFadden in rounds 3-4 if you can and trade him off around week 5/6 for a more reliable package. He's a great talent, but can't play the whole season. The last two years I've traded him and ended up with Steven Jackson and Colston one year and MJD and Sproles the next.

Rhaego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Hammettf2b

vCash: 14472
I would recommend draft RBs in ur first 3 rounds. Theres a lot of depth in other positions to where u can wait for ur WRs and QB, assuming you have a flex position. if not, i would prob go WR in round 3 unless for some strange reason Gronk/Grahm are available which they prob wont be at that point. ive been doing some mock drafts and it seems you can get a QB like Vick, Rivers, the Mannings, Romo pretty late. and like others said, wait till the last 2 rounds to get ur D and K.

Hammettf2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

I usually come out of the first 3 rounds with 2 RB's and then leave the position alone for a while. Also, don't underestimate the importance of an elite QB. I have the 4th pick in a 10-team league and am guessing the first 3 rounds will go something like this for me:

Rodgers-RB-RB
RB-Stafford/Newton-RB
RB-RB-Newton/Graham

Gronk and Graham are great players to have this year because the dropoff is so huge after them. I'll never touch WR until round 4 at the absolute earliest because it's so deep every year (unless something ridiculous happens like Fitz falling to the mid-3rd).

Aquin001 on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:43 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I personally see a fizzle out going on with running backs as every team outside of maybe 4 will be employing some sort of time share...gone are the days of running backs being the thoroughbreds..

definitely depends on your league roster criteria and the scoring, but for me I never draft a QB until round 6... the gap between them isnt a lot and you are still likely going to be able to snag a top 10- 12 QB in round 6 while building up your rb's and wr's...

also, let someone else mightly reach for Gronk and Graham this year...they are going off the board in my drafts by mid round 2 which is crazy. I felt Graham was gonna be a beast last year and got him in round 7, now I see a bit of a drop off with the Saints in some turmoil this year and Graham having a sophmore slump type year...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:55 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Top 5 IMO should be some combination of Rodgers, Foster, Rice, McCoy, and Brady, so I'd take whoever's left at 5/6. If you end up 6 and all are gone it gets a little tricky. I'd probably go Chris Johnson, but you could argue Brees (or MJD if that situation clears up). RB is very thin this year, so it's very important to try to get a couple early. I definitely like the idea of going with some combination of QB, RB, RB with my first three picks. There's a lot of depth at WR this year so you'll be able to get pretty solid guys well into the 6th round.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote