HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

J.S. Giguere signs extension with Avalanche [$1.5M, 1 year]

Old
08-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
J.S. Giguere signs extension with Avalanche [$1.5M, 1 year]

Colorado Avalanche have re-signed goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere to one-year deal worth $1.5 mil.

https://twitter.com/KusicHockey/stat...82041584816130
https://twitter.com/capgeek/status/234980496394813440
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=338

Last edited by Vipers31: 08-13-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Kusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:03 AM
smitty10

Giguere*

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Foppa

One year extension...was already signed thru the end of this season.

He's been a great teammate and mentor to Varly and played really well last season. Can't ask for much more from a backup.

Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Giguere*
My fault, too quick writing

Kusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Ceremony
I will swim

vCash: 22000
Very happy with the re-signing, also very happy he wants to stay with the team.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusic View Post
My fault, too quick writing
'Merica!!

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Great news, he's a great mentor for Varly and he did really good in games he played last year.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:21 AM
smitty10

Good signing. This guy's one of the best mentors for young goalies. Two years ago with Reimer, now with Varlamov, his reputation as a good backup goalie is going to keep him in the game for a while.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Guy deserves it for the season he had last year.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

I'm always a little wary when it comes to considering veteran back-up goalies to be good "mentors". I am not familiar with what Varlamov or Reimer have said about him, so I absolutely don't want to discard the possibility that he is, in fact, a great mentor, but I'll remember Bryzgalov saying that the biggest thing he learned from JS was a everyone for himself type mentality ("this is wolves' world"). Maybe it's just Ilya's quirkyness, maybe it's JS having settled down and into that role with higher age and bigger age differentials to his mentees. In any way, regardless of his qualities as a mentor, he most certainly earns that contract for his play alone. Good for him and the Avs.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:43 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Good for both parties.

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Ceremony
I will swim

vCash: 22000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I'm always a little wary when it comes to considering veteran back-up goalies to be good "mentors". I am not familiar with what Varlamov or Reimer have said about him, so I absolutely don't want to discard the possibility that he is, in fact, a great mentor, but I'll remember Bryzgalov saying that the biggest thing he learned from JS was a everyone for himself type mentality ("this is wolves' world"). Maybe it's just Ilya's quirkyness, maybe it's JS having settled down and into that role with higher age and bigger age differentials to his mentees. In any way, regardless of his qualities as a mentor, he most certainly earns that contract for his play alone. Good for him and the Avs.
He's definitely played the role of mentor to Varlamov in Colorado, both by being able to play well when varlamov was struggling and presumably by helping him settle into being the #1 for the first time in the NHL. Have a read here, which is the best article I can find quickly about him mentoring Varlamov.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Sweet, Giggy has done a fantastic job in Colorado so far.

My only concern is that with extending him early we're locked into a second year before we know how much age will factor into his game next season and in the event of a major injury or something.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:40 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Good for Jiggy, bit hasty from the Av's though IMO given he already had a contract for next year. But if he stays injury free should be good for both parties

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:43 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Very solid option as a vet. Good signing, one of our better previous goaltenders in recent years. Best of luck while he finishes his career. He's slowed down his lateral and down/up movement bu his positional play makes up for that.

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:06 AM
CobraAcesS

Surprising but good signing none the less, kind of wondered if he was just using the Avs to rebound his career and if they would be able to retain him for cheap. It's nice to know hes committed in his role.

From everything he said in his interviews he seems happy in Colorado, especially the family life. I would bet if all goes well when he retires he becomes their goalie coach as well.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:20 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
He's an excellent mentor. Teaches the young guys how to stick in the NHL and be professionals. He's a solid 'bridge' from wherever these guys come from to the NHL.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 150
Quote:
You have to consider that he still had expectations of being the starter in Anaheim, not a back-up and a mentor. The reality of his situation has changed, and he has changed with it.

To me, the best part of having Giguere around isn't for his mentorship or competent role as back-up for a low price - it is the small and tantalizing hope that he resurrects what he once was. It isn't something to expect or pray for, but it isn't out of the the realm of possibility that he has a late-career rejuvenation. And that would be a swell bonus.

Hennessy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:38 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Awesome, really happy with this move. Giguere has been really good for the team and for Varlamov. Giguere has been especially important as the Avs don't have a dedicated goalie coach.

Really hope this is a sign of Giguere sticking around even after his playing days, I think he'd make a great goalie coach down the line.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
You have to consider that he still had expectations of being the starter in Anaheim, not a back-up and a mentor. The reality of his situation has changed, and he has changed with it.
Oh, I absolutely believe that. It's what I meant by the possibly "settling down" part I acknowledged as a possibility. Good to hear that's actually the case for him.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Awesome, really happy with this move. Giguere has been really good for the team and for Varlamov. Giguere has been especially important as the Avs don't have a dedicated goalie coach.

Really hope this is a sign of Giguere sticking around even after his playing days, I think he'd make a great goalie coach down the line.
But, didn't we just extend our goalie coach?

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Pi

Quote:
Oh, I absolutely believe that. It's what I meant by the possibly "settling down" part I acknowledged as a possibility. Good to hear that's actually the case for him.
He was a great mentor for Reimer and he said he'd miss him if he wasn't signed but with the season we'd had there was no way we could justify signing JS Giguere because he wasn't as good with us and he also battled with groin injuries towards the end of his stay in Toronto. In the end, the pairing of Gus and Reimer was just as bad as Giggy and Gus/Reimer.

No luck .

I am sure Burke would love to sign Giggy now that he has a good season under his belt if he were UFA.

But I am glad we dont have Bryz though.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:00 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Giggy and Varly did a couple interviews together and it seems like there is a healthy amount of mutual respect there. Varlamov recognizes the fact that Giguere has a Conn Smyth Trophy and a Stanley Cup, Giguere recognizes that Varlamov is the future of the team.

They genuinely seem to work well together and there was measurable growth in Varlamov's game in areas Giguere is known for. Namely positioning and a calm but aggressive net presence...

That was the one main thing hurting Varlamov, that being his overactive style. Which I would imagine contributed to his injuries as well. Especially later in the season when Varlamov calmed down and really started to play more positionally sound, he made huge strides in consistency as well.

That is exactly why Avs fans get so frustrated with the media still bashing Varlamov regardless of the obvious strides he made and showed during the harder part of the season. It was obvious to any fan who watched the Avs play on a regular baisis how much of an impact Giguere had and how much improved Varlamov was as a result as well.

There were even times off the ice that we know for sure Giguere had an impact on calming the team down after or during losing streaks. There was at least one time during practice that he was seen speaking to the team and multiple references to his voice in the locker room at key times.

Giguere & Shane O'Brien were our two most vocal veteran leaders last season.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

One more year of RECSguy!

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Elever
Hth

Our team really has become an old boys club so to speak. There weren't any other backups of use available this yr at least but I dunno about next.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote