HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Komisarek

Old
08-12-2012, 05:19 PM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

vCash: 500
Komisarek + Lombardi + 3rd
for
Gomez + Kristo

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin
Gomez-Connolly-MacArthur
Brown-Steckel-McClement
Frattin

Last edited by dannyboy8920: 08-12-2012 at 05:26 PM.
dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:49 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Komi isnt being moved with anything of value. hes got two years left and were not against the cap. we also gain a lot of cap space next summer.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Komisarek + Lombardi + 3rd
for
Gomez + Kristo

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin
Gomez-Connolly-MacArthur
Brown-Steckel-McClement
Frattin
That's not terrible. I think i'd consider it from habs POV. We give up kristo who has some upside but we get a 3rd back. Essentially we lose a bit of future to get two depth pieces now. I'm not particularly thrilled at idea of adding a prospect in there but IF habs ever did this I wouldn't be upset. I wouldn't initate it myself though.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:25 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Komisarek gets the chance because he's a better defenceman right now. That's what matters in a results driven business.

That's quite the exaggeration for Komisarek, and physical top 4 stay at home defencemen are worth about $4.5m on the open market. Just ask Anton Volchenkov, and the cap has gone up substantially since then.
You don't see the difference between Volchenkov and Komisarek? Volchenkov is a good, tough, physical stay at home defenseman. Komisarek is no longer that. Even $4.5 is a lot for a Volchenkov.... but he's at least good at what he does still.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Halpysback

Komisarek might be the only player in the league whose physical play is actually a detriment. Any time he tries playing physical he starts wildly running around trying to hit people he takes himself completely out of the play and gives the other team lanes and opportunities they wouldn't normally dream of. If he does end up hitting someone successfully it either leads to a PP for the other team or a scrum where he gets his ass beat. Both are demoralizing. I can't remember the last time a hit of his actually intimidated anybody or favorably turned a play.

He'd be much more serviceable if he didn't throw any hits but simply stayed back, blocked shots and cleared pucks well.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:58 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
hes untouchable
Hockey equivalent of the Indian caste system sense of the word.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:03 PM
TOGuy14

His actual salary is $1m less than his caphit, so to some cost conscious teams, he would probably have a bit of value, you think a team like the Islanders wouldn't part with a 7th round pick if Charles Wang could keep another $1,000,000 in his pocket?

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:32 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
His actual salary is $1m less than his caphit, so to some cost conscious teams, he would probably have a bit of value, you think a team like the Islanders wouldn't part with a 7th round pick if Charles Wang could keep another $1,000,000 in his pocket?
Or they can sign someone Hannan for cheaper?

The only idea is the cap floor and we'll know more about that AFTER the cba is done. It may drop and this will be all irrelevant.

Old
08-13-2012, 07:54 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
I think people were saying the same things about Beauchemin's trade value.

How did that work out for everyone?

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
I think people were saying the same things about Beauchemin's trade value.

How did that work out for everyone?
Beauchemin has always been a much better hockey player than Komisarek.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:45 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Beauchemin has always been a much better hockey player than Komisarek.
Not always but in recent memory it's not really close.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:01 AM
smitty10

The only teams that Komisarek has any value to are teams that are attempting to tank and teams who want to avoid spending money and reach the cap. His current cap hit is $4.5m, but his salary is only $3.5m this season, which could be attractive to a low budget team needing to hit the cap floor. Unfortunately he has a limited NTC and I believe a NMC, which could handcuff Burke if he has an offer to trade him.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:28 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Komisarek might be the only player in the league whose physical play is actually a detriment. Any time he tries playing physical he starts wildly running around trying to hit people he takes himself completely out of the play and gives the other team lanes and opportunities they wouldn't normally dream of. If he does end up hitting someone successfully it either leads to a PP for the other team or a scrum where he gets his ass beat. Both are demoralizing. I can't remember the last time a hit of his actually intimidated anybody or favorably turned a play.

He'd be much more serviceable if he didn't throw any hits but simply stayed back, blocked shots and cleared pucks well.
Well said. A few months without hockey and people are already forgetting just how bad the guy really is and no system is going to change that (other than hide his defficiencies a little). Once the season starts he'll start getting run out of town again because he's costing his team games, even with the 10-15 minutes he's on the ice.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:15 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Well said. A few months without hockey and people are already forgetting just how bad the guy really is and no system is going to change that (other than hide his defficiencies a little). Once the season starts he'll start getting run out of town again because he's costing his team games, even with the 10-15 minutes he's on the ice.
I agree that people forget

Up until he broke his arm against Nashville on the 17th of November Komisarek was getting steady minutes in the 5 spot and 2nd unit kill on a club that was 10-7-2 and looking pretty fair. Komisarek was staying home and doing the thing he does best which is crease clearing.

He'd averaged @17:00 TOI per game had 2 points and was a +2

Komisarek had been playing a steady quiet game and when he does that he's an NHL competent Dman. There were people, not just here, but in the media saying that there had been a complete 180 in his game and it was a factor in the Leafs ability to win games

While I am not saying he does not have shortcomings, but he wasn't the can of dog-food some people are making him out to be.

when he came back after broken arm and surgery he continued that play, unfortunately the wheels were falling off the team by then. Which in turn made him a topic of derision and perhaps have transferred memories the 2010/11 Komisarek to the 2011/12 version

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:20 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Brichards View Post
I would do a Wade Redden for Komisarek swap
all joke aside, now that the cap have gone up to 70M, could the NYR call back Redden to play in the NHL (6/7 DMan)?

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:40 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
I agree that people forget

Up until he broke his arm against Nashville on the 17th of November Komisarek was getting steady minutes in the 5 spot and 2nd unit kill on a club that was 10-7-2 and looking pretty fair. Komisarek was staying home and doing the thing he does best which is crease clearing.

He'd averaged @17:00 TOI per game had 2 points and was a +2

Komisarek had been playing a steady quiet game and when he does that he's an NHL competent Dman. There were people, not just here, but in the media saying that there had been a complete 180 in his game and it was a factor in the Leafs ability to win games

While I am not saying he does not have shortcomings, but he wasn't the can of dog-food some people are making him out to be.

when he came back after broken arm and surgery he continued that play, unfortunately the wheels were falling off the team by then. Which in turn made him a topic of derision and perhaps have transferred memories the 2010/11 Komisarek to the 2011/12 version
Is it fair of me to say he's looked ok for just a small stretch of one season out of the 3 full years he's spent in Toronto? Excuse me if I choose to omit the small handful of games hes been ok in in favour of the nearly 3 years he's looked terrible.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:18 PM
81Leafs50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Komisarek for Gomez.

Habs dump 3 mil in salary and can hope Komisarek rebounds.

Leafs solve their 1st line centre problem.
That is by far the lowest blow Leafs Nation has ever encountered.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:37 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Best course of action is for the Leafs to ride it out and see if he can regain some of his old form. It's not like he's completely over the hill. He's only what, 28? Needs to get into a better conditioning/skating program and start working real hard though.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Gomez scored 1 goal in a calender year....and makes more....bad deal IMO.
At least Gomez scored against another team. Komisarek has scored half as many goals against the Leafs as he has for them...

In any case, neither team makes the Komi for Gomi deal.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Best course of action is for the Leafs to ride it out and see if he can regain some of his old form. It's not like he's completely over the hill. He's only what, 28? Needs to get into a better conditioning/skating program and start working real hard though.
He's 30.

Tyler Biggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
You don't see the difference between Volchenkov and Komisarek? Volchenkov is a good, tough, physical stay at home defenseman. Komisarek is no longer that. Even $4.5 is a lot for a Volchenkov.... but he's at least good at what he does still.
Honestly -- the biggest difference between Volchenkov and Komisarek are the teams they play on. NJ is a great defensive team and Ottawa wasn't bad either, Toronto under Ron Wilson hung Komisarek out to dry. Couldn't put a defenceman of his skillset in a worse situation.

$4.5m for 6 years is fair market free agent value for Volchenkov last year, the approximate price where teams aren't willing to pay any more, and by definition, have little to no trade value. In the case of Komisarek you've got a guy at the same price, but with far less long term risk. Of course, he needs to rebound to put him back on par with Volchenkov, but that's certainly not outside of the realm of possibility with the added responsibility and defensive system that Randy Carlyle is going to give him.

The simple fact that he doesn't have to occupy the same role as "Future Captain Luke Schenn" should help him immensely.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:08 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Is it fair of me to say he's looked ok for just a small stretch of one season out of the 3 full years he's spent in Toronto? Excuse me if I choose to omit the small handful of games hes been ok in in favour of the nearly 3 years he's looked terrible.

not asking or looking for an argument here, just saying that for the first time in a Leafs uni he looked comfortable last year. I have no argument that Komisarek hasn't in the past performed as expected, but last year was different.

It could be that the shoulder is finally healthy and he started the season pain free, it could also be that he and the other D were finally playing in front of a goalie they had trust in and so weren't constantly worried that any mistake would end up in the net. Playing with some confidence can make a world of difference to everybody in the room.

The past is not an absolute predicate in the future, otherwise the Komisarek the Leafs signed, would not only be capable of delivering fine solid and physical defensive play, but also an almost all-star like performance from time to time, kinda like in Montreal

Have a little faith brother, maybe he's turned the corner

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:10 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
not asking or looking for an argument here, just saying that for the first time in a Leafs uni he looked comfortable last year. I have no argument that Komisarek hasn't in the past performed as expected, but last year was different.

It could be that the shoulder is finally healthy and he started the season pain free, it could also be that he and the other D were finally playing in front of a goalie they had trust in and so weren't constantly worried that any mistake would end up in the net. Playing with some confidence can make a world of difference to everybody in the room.

The past is not an absolute predicate in the future, otherwise the Komisarek the Leafs signed, would not only be capable of delivering fine solid and physical defensive play, but also an almost all-star like performance from time to time, kinda like in Montreal

Have a little faith brother, maybe he's turned the corner
It could also be that the referees put away their whistles.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote