HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do on Defence?

View Poll Results: Defence?
Sign UFA (Colaiacovo,Rosival, etc.) 34 29.31%
Offersheet RFA (Subban, Carlson,Del Zotto) 21 18.10%
Make a Trade 18 15.52%
Stand pat 43 37.07%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugan View Post
Honestly, given all the potential shown by cam barker coming into this league, plus that chicago kinda gave up on him, i would have no problem taking a (no pun intended) flyer on him. if he can be a more solid 5 guy than the ones we have, he would give us a different sort of dimension on the back line
You would be better off just pulling a random guy out of stands then signing the waste of space that is Cam Barker on ice

Guy is truly horrendous d-man

And the only potential Cam Barker ever showed was that he can not screw up a PP that had Toews/Sharp/Kane/Havlat on ice with him. And It wasn't just Hawks who gave up on him

Wild gave away big part of there prospect pool (Nick Leddy) and ended up buying him out
Oilers brought him in and have made no effort to resign him

Both teams have been desperate for NHL quality dmen these past few years and both clearly beleive that Barker doesn't fit that criteria

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Mgd31

vCash: 500
What is the defensive depth chart at the moment?

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
What do Flyers fans think a fair return is from the Sabres' d-corps for Matt Read? If Buffalo is really interested in Ryan (and I assume they're on the outside looking in), then maybe a d-man for Read is in both teams' interest.
I assume the Flyers would take Leopold, but pretty sure not at the expense of Matt Read.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:49 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
When we acquired Kubina, he said that he would actually like to re-sign with the Flyers if he was asked to. I was ok with letting him walk, but at this point, I wouldn't mind getting him back.
pass. we have enough defenseman who have injury concerns. dont need another one

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:59 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
What is the defensive depth chart at the moment?
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.613m) / Bruno Gervais ($0.825m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m) / Brandon Manning ($0.900m)
Oliver Lauridsen ($0.650m) / Danny Syvret ($0.588m)
Matt Walker ($1.700m)

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Simmonds or Read for a 32 year old one-way defenseman who plays 60 -70 games a season and averages slightly above 16 minutes of even strength time on ice???
How do you figure? Murray played less than 73 games exactly once in the past 4 years and averaged 72 games played. He has averaged 17 minues of ES TOI and 2 mins SH TOI over the past 3 years. I personally do not think he is the type of d-man the Flyers need, but let' at least be accurate in representing what he brings to the table.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I agree that Jbo isn't the answer for the Flyers. As a Flames fan, I'd love for nothing more than to see us move Jbo for a premium, but as the Flyers are my #2 team I don't think it would be worth it to pay what the asking price is (ie. Couts/Schenn). However, with having guys like G, Voracek and Briere who can skate like the wind, I think he would actually fit in quite nicely, your transition would be among the tops in the NHL. But I don't think his personality would mesh well with the fans, his quiet demeanor would make him an enemy if he didn't perform to standards.

A trade with the Sabres makes some sense, I'd target Regehr but I doubt he's available short of another massive over payment. Leopold would be a solid addition.

I really think Holmgren should just sign Hannan. I obviously watched him lots last year and he's the ideal bandaid. He's very reliable in his own end and makes very little mistakes, you barely notice him out there. The only knock on him is his foot speed, but he does a more than adequate job with sound positional play. I can almost guarantee he would either sign a 1yr/2 mil or a 2yr/1.5 mil type of deal. I think Hannan would be a solid addition to the Flyers, he's an excellent bargain for his services and would cost no assets to obtain.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Flyerfan4life

I can't believe Matt walker is costing us 1.7M again this season..

Hahahaa

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:47 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
How do you figure? Murray played less than 73 games exactly once in the past 4 years and averaged 72 games played. He has averaged 17 minues of ES TOI and 2 mins SH TOI over the past 3 years. I personally do not think he is the type of d-man the Flyers need, but let' at least be accurate in representing what he brings to the table.
If not taking into account his Rookie season - hardly anybody ever getting played constantly in his first year - we end up with an average of 64 games played per season in the last 6 years.

The 16min ES TOI/Game refer to last season. Sorry for not mentioning his short handed time on ice, I simply forgot about that.

I'm not questioning him being a servicable stay at home defenseman at all but I wanted to point out that he is a bandaid for a couple of seasons at best and definitely not worth giving up a young potential top-6 winger.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
If not taking into account his Rookie season - hardly anybody ever getting played constantly in his first year - we end up with an average of 64 games played per season in the last 6 years.

The 16min ES TOI/Game refer to last season. Sorry for not mentioning his short handed time on ice, I simply forgot about that.

I'm not questioning him being a servicable stay at home defenseman at all but I wanted to point out that he is a bandaid for a couple of seasons at best and definitely not worth giving up a young potential top-6 winger.
Understood and I agree with your assessmen (not what the Flyers need)t. It appeared that your stats were painting him as injury-prone, which he hasn't historically been. If memory serves, his first few years he played fewer games more due mainly to depth reather than injuries. We had Vlasic and Carle as the young guys and decent veteran depth which made it harder for him to get ice time. In recent years, he has averaged in the mid/high-70's games per year (absent the freak throat injury in '11-'12), and I think is more indicative of what one can expect from him. He seems to miss a few games each year from bumps/bruises due to shot blocking and playing a physical style, but I do not believe he is injury prone.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:20 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If we can get him for 2.5M or less, I'd say Rozsival.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Orange Crush 89

I like the crying idea. :p

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:31 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If we can get him for 2.5M or less, I'd say Rozsival.
Older player coming off a bad injury is the last thing this team needs. If they can get a for-sure healthy player in free agency, that would be the way to go. If not, they should just stand pat. Let the kids play.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Swic21

Why not just stick with what we have? What's the worst that can happen really? Yes we lost carle, and yes we have no mesz or prongs. The defensive group will be fine. In my honest opinion coburn is pretty close to a number 1 d-man. He doesn't rack up the points but he gets on average about 22pts a season and he's an excellent skater for his size, not to mention he's only missed 7 games over the past 5 seasons. This defense will be perfectly fine.

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Krishna

We should give one of Daniel Fernholm, Mario Scalzo, or Richard Lintner a tryout. All of them are free agents.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:27 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
i think 2 of their contracts slide so they are only at 48. Gervias signing may have initially killed any chance of Kubina coming back but with Mez going down maybe not. I have a feeling Walker will be given a shot early in the season since they have the cap space.
I think you're right about Kubina and I forgot about Walker. I don't know if Walker is an upgrade over Lilja/Gus/MAB/Gervias, but if he can be a solid bottom D (doubtful) it's worth a look early (maybe).

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
mirimon

I hope Homer remembers back in '08 when we also had a rash of injuries on defense in pre-season and the early stages of the season. Back then he made a couple of more or less panic trades to solve the problem, instead of at least trying out some of the kids for at least a while, and that in turn caused us to having to shed salary as the season draw to a close (having to waive Väänänen and Metropolit, the Carcillo trade).

That said, if we sign someone like Hannan or Colaiacovo to a reasonable one-year contract I wouldn't mind too much, even if I don't think going into the season with Bourdon and Gustafsson as the 5th and 6th defenders (not necessarily as a third pairing though...) is all that terrible. If Bourdon is capable of playing right away that is... I've been a bit out of the loop the past month, what's the latest news on him anyway?

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:18 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Everyone talking about MAB and Gus i would like to see Manning earn a spot..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:21 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

SAY NO TO JBO LET THE YOUNG GUYS PLAY OR SIGN A CHEAP UFA ITS TIME TO START LETTING THE YOUTH EARN THEIR SPOTS ON THE BLUE LINE..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Crashbangboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
We should give one of Daniel Fernholm, Mario Scalzo, or Richard Lintner a tryout. All of them are free agents.
I wouldn't be against giving Daniel Fernholm a shot. He's a solid defenseman. Martin Sevc could also be an alternative. But Richard Lintner? God, no...

Crashbangboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Pretty sure Rozival would of been signed by now if teams didn't think that big time injury he suffered in the playoffs was healed.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:12 PM
ninetynine*

I just realizrd, Walker is 8th in our depth chart on D now, one more injury...

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Displayname40

Sorry if this was brought up already, but at what point do we look at bringing Kubina back? I am of the belief that he was hurt at the end of last year. He looked terrible ill admit, but its tough to think that the guys fallen that far so fast. We dont have many options on the point for the power play aside from Jake and Kimmo. I think on a one year deal it might be something to look at. The team had no interest a couple months ago but id think its time to revisit the idea.

Displayname40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displayname40 View Post
Sorry if this was brought up already, but at what point do we look at bringing Kubina back? I am of the belief that he was hurt at the end of last year. He looked terrible ill admit, but its tough to think that the guys fallen that far so fast. We dont have many options on the point for the power play aside from Jake and Kimmo. I think on a one year deal it might be something to look at. The team had no interest a couple months ago but id think its time to revisit the idea.
i dont see any reason to try Kubina again vs. any number of other plugins..

we have already seen what Kubina did here, if we are gunna bring in another face, we might aswell try someone new. they might plugin to our system better..

Grossman turned out to be a absolute stud, he was a great pickup..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:39 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

We really need P.K.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote