HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Detroit Red Wings Prospect #9

View Poll Results: Who is #9?
Adam Almqvist 1 1.15%
Joakim Andersson 4 4.60%
Louis-Marc Aubry 0 0%
Mattias Bäckman 0 0%
Martin Frk 4 4.60%
Nick Jensen 1 1.15%
Alexei Marchenko 2 2.30%
Petr Mrázek 33 37.93%
Ryan Sproul 40 45.98%
Marek Tvrdoň 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-13-2012, 03:36 AM
Zorin

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
Mrazek, add: Ferraro

Overall it is amazing how deep our pool is right now. 5 years ago Mrazek, Sproul, likely Marchenko, Frk or Jensen would have defintately been top-10 on the list. Sproul at least would have easily been top-5. The likes of Callahan, Ferraro, Athanasiu, McKee, Aubry, Almquist, Patersen or Backmann would have at least had an outside-shot on the top 10. Some of them might not even make the list now. Nestrasil, maybe even DeHaas and for sure Bodin will not even get consideration...

We do not have real blue-chips. But we have guys like Smith, Jarnkrök, Frk, Jurco, Sproul or Mrazek, who might even reach (remote) star-status and at least 20 guys on the farm have a realistic shot to eventually become full time - and long time - NHL guys in their respective roles. There have been much different times...

Zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:26 AM
ChadS

Mrazek, again. Add Ferraro.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Soft Rock Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I agree that Frk has tons of ability and he slipped because of injury. I have trouble putting him above Tvrdon who was a little less hyped but probably would have worked his way into the first by being a point a game player in his draft year. He then came back and did what you are hoping Frk will do and led WHL rookie scoring. I edge him in front of Frk at some point Andersson has to get voted over potential too, don't know when I make that decision but it is soon in my opinion.
i think that time is when you would no longer trade andersson for the player you are considering putting ahead of him

Soft Rock Renegade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:34 AM
solo16

vCash: 728
Sproul will through Mrazek up at number 10. Then Frk, Tvrdon. We should probably stop at 10 though. It gets pretty silly after Frk as they all about equal.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:32 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

And now I'm pissing my vote away.
marchenko.

I think he's quite likely the best defenseman we've got. The only concern for me is injuries.
See you guys in 5-6 picks.

Sproul vs Mrazek is a close one. I'd lean toward Mrazek i guess.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:36 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
Mrazek, add: Ferraro

Overall it is amazing how deep our pool is right now. 5 years ago Mrazek, Sproul, likely Marchenko, Frk or Jensen would have defintately been top-10 on the list. Sproul at least would have easily been top-5. The likes of Callahan, Ferraro, Athanasiu, McKee, Aubry, Almquist, Patersen or Backmann would have at least had an outside-shot on the top 10. Some of them might not even make the list now. Nestrasil, maybe even DeHaas and for sure Bodin will not even get consideration...

We do not have real blue-chips. But we have guys like Smith, Jarnkrök, Frk, Jurco, Sproul or Mrazek, who might even reach (remote) star-status and at least 20 guys on the farm have a realistic shot to eventually become full time - and long time - NHL guys in their respective roles. There have been much different times...
Agreed.
And yet, disagree.

At one point, Dick Axelsson was our Tomas Jurco. I think our pool is deeper because we don't trade so many picks away and because we have many more picks from rounds 1-3.

But I wonder...Seems like we've been talking about Detroit's deep prospect pool for awhile now... And we haven't produced a top 6 forward since Hudler/Flip's draft 10 years ago

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:21 AM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
marchenko.

I think he's quite likely the best defenseman we've got. The only concern for me is injuries.

Did not realize how good of a prospect Marchenko is. He is a pretty impressive stat line. Likely the best defenseman in the MHL the last 2 years before the last season where injuries derailed but PPG remained. It is unusual for a Defenseman to go PPG in that league.

His slow start in the KHL is only slightly alarming because he is only 20/21. He strikes me as a 6'2 Almqvist of Russia.

He moved up my list a few spots today.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:22 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Add Paterson.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
marchenko.

everything I've read about Marchenko has been impressive, but he's got to stay healthy for a year for me to put him this high. He stays healthy, I'm betting he flies up a lot of prospect lists. Have to wonder if he'd be in GR next year, too.

08-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Dustin16182

Sproul

Mrazek will be next, but im usually hesitant to vote for a goalie in the top 10. Especially considering how hit or miss the younger ones can be in terms of nhl play. I have high hopes for him though

Dustin16182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:16 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
Sproul will through Mrazek up at number 10. Then Frk, Tvrdon. We should probably stop at 10 though. It gets pretty silly after Frk as they all about equal.
My original thought was to go to 25 like redwingscentral, if you don't have strong opinions anymore that is you, I see a big difference between a lot of the guys you are talking about after that number and big hopes for a lot of them as well.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
My original thought was to go to 25 like redwingscentral, if you don't have strong opinions anymore that is you, I see a big difference between a lot of the guys you are talking about after that number and big hopes for a lot of them as well.
I'm interested to see how the voting goes for the remaining defensemen after Sproul and Jensen go off the board, assuming they are the 2 next to go.

Just curious, who do people think is the better prospect between Lashoff and Nicastro? I'd say they probably project to be a similar player as a pro, assuming they make it.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:47 PM
solo16

Quote:
Whatever you want to do is up to you. I have strong opinions but it is difficult to judge the difference between the rest. I'd almost say there are two tiers. Good and not Good. The players in GOOD are fairly comparable. We all have our darlings (for example the five I marked high below but alot of the Meh are more likely not to Bust). Every vote will be split 10 ways. I'd be more interested to see the next 20 prospects have a poll with 3 options:

1. Bust
2. High Hopes
3. Might play an NHL Game, but low expectations

GOOD 12ish
Marek Tvrdon CHL 6.5 C HIGH
Alexei Marchenko Europe 7.0 D HIGH
Mattias Backman Europe 6.5 C MEH
Adam Almqvist Europe 6.5 C MEH
Nick Jensen NCAA 6.5 C HIGH
Max Nicastro NCAA 6.0 C MEH
Brian Lashoff Pro 6.0 C MEH
Joakim Andersson Pro 6.5 C MEH
Landon Ferraro Pro 6.5 C MEH
Alan Quine CHL 6.5 D MEH
Louis-Marc Aubry Pro 6.5 D High
Mitchell Callahan Pro 6.0 C High

NOT GOOD/Who Cares (All Meh/Bust)
Andrej Nestrasil Pro 6.5 D
Trevor Parkes Pro 6.5 D
William Coetzee Pro 6.5 D
Thomas McCollum Pro 7.0 D
Gleason Fournier Pro 6.5 D
Richard Nedomlel CHL 6.0 C
Travis Ehrhardt Pro 6.0 D
Jordan Pearce Pro 6.0 C
Philippe Hudon NCAA 6.5 C
Ben Marshall NCAA 6.5 C
Brooks Macek CHL 6.5 D
Brent Raedeke Pro 6.0 C
Julien Cayer NCAA 6.0 D

Old
08-13-2012, 02:55 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I'm interested to see how the voting goes for the remaining defensemen after Sproul and Jensen go off the board, assuming they are the 2 next to go.

Just curious, who do people think is the better prospect between Lashoff and Nicastro? I'd say they probably project to be a similar player as a pro, assuming they make it.
Lashoff is Janik.
Nicastro is Janik with a bit of upside.

So I would go Nicastro by a hair.

Old
08-13-2012, 02:59 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:

Not trying to poke at Sarcastro who has asked for I think 3 or 4 rounds to add Lashoff, but I will take the upside of Nicastro still. We will learn a lot about him in Grand Rapids this year, but it would seem he is a different player than we drafted. He sounds like a big physical mean stay at home d-man now, that has a good first pass and skates well because that is why he was projected to be a scorer. Some of the best stay at home d-man in the league were originally thought to have offense, it just never came. Orpik, Stuart, Volchenkov, Scuderi, Mitchell. Those guys all had offensive promise so to speak it just didn't materialize and they took their skills and worked them into a defensive strength.

Lashoff was hurt most of last year. I am just not a big believer, I think he plays well at times when I watch Grand Rapids, but I remain very skeptical that he will be an NHL type. I am sure he will get a look, but I just don't think he is very good. He struggles when teams really forecheck, he can give away the puck too easily and for a big guy he isn't physical enough in my opinion. He is a very poor mans Big E, with less size, less physical presence and less talent. I hope he can prove me wrong but I don't see it and a lot of what concerns me about him is I don't see it when I watch. This isn't picking up George Malik's scouting report on the kid, it is 90% of the time I watch him I have trouble seeing him as a good contributor. NHL player on a terrible team maybe, 7th or 8th D-man probably. That or he becomes an AHL captain that somehow never gets a chance while being good on that level like Nolan Yonkman.

Old
08-13-2012, 03:03 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Being the same age (Nicastro actually 4 months older), IMO Lashoff has the edge at the moment having succesfully played in the AHL already. Right now is a tough time to judge Nicastro because he's coming off a very difficult final year of college. He could be better than Lashoff straight off the bat or he could have huge difficulties adjusting to the pro game. So, because of the uncertainty surrounding Nicastro, my take is that Lashoff has the edge. Though, you have to mention Nicastro being a right-handed shot which could get him PP time for example. Lashoff's "secret skill" is definitely his leadership abilities.

Old
08-13-2012, 03:06 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

^-Pretty much agree with that. Same age, upside is similar, but Lashoff is further ahead in his development. Closer to "NHL-ready." So I rate Lashoff a little higher.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Roy S

Quote:
Agreed.
And yet, disagree.

At one point, Dick Axelsson was our Tomas Jurco. I think our pool is deeper because we don't trade so many picks away and because we have many more picks from rounds 1-3.

But I wonder...Seems like we've been talking about Detroit's deep prospect pool for awhile now... And we haven't produced a top 6 forward since Hudler/Flip's draft 10 years ago
Franzen was drafted in 2004.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:23 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Lashoff's "secret skill" is definitely his leadership abilities.
In terms of the NHL how many guys get leadership roles as bottom pairing D-man? Matt Greene is the only one coming to mind. Because Lashoff is very unlikely to ever eclipse that role in my opinion. He has strong character but that is why I pointed to Yonkman as a comparison. He might become more desirable to lead your AHL team and serve as an injury replacement type. I think his leadership might hurt him longrun in how organizations look at him. He won't likely impact a NHL dressing room, but could have a large impact on your AHL room. That is if he doesn't keep improving, I really hope now that he is fully healthy he has a better year in the AHL.

Nicastro could pass Lashoff in a very similar way to how Nyquist leapfrogged Tatar. They will be in the same place if Nicastro proves more efficient he will jump him really quickly. Lashoff right now is more ready because we have seen him in the pros, if Nicastro start to look on the same level as a pro rookie or better he vaults him insantly in my book.

Old
08-13-2012, 03:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
Franzen was drafted in 2004.
Correct, but I will say it before CB does with more anger.

That is still 8 years ago now. He was also drafted as an extreme overager.

Of course his point could look really silly if injuries allow both Tatar and Nyquist to take runs at top 6 spots and they hold them this year we will have produced two top six players from drafts rather recently.

Old
08-13-2012, 03:42 PM
ChadS

Quote:
In terms of the NHL how many guys get leadership roles as bottom pairing D-man? Matt Greene is the only one coming to mind. Because Lashoff is very unlikely to ever eclipse that role in my opinion. He has strong character but that is why I pointed to Yonkman as a comparison. He might become more desirable to lead your AHL team and serve as an injury replacement type. I think his leadership might hurt him longrun in how organizations look at him. He won't likely impact a NHL dressing room, but could have a large impact on your AHL room. That is if he doesn't keep improving, I really hope now that he is fully healthy he has a better year in the AHL.
The only reason I mentioned that was because I also pointed out Nicastro is a righty.
Quote:
Nicastro could pass Lashoff in a very similar way to how Nyquist leapfrogged Tatar. They will be in the same place if Nicastro proves more efficient he will jump him really quickly. Lashoff right now is more ready because we have seen him in the pros, if Nicastro start to look on the same level as a pro rookie or better he vaults him insantly in my book.
This is exactly what I meant; he might or might not pass Lashoff very quickly. It's quite a difficult choice.

Old
08-13-2012, 03:43 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

I hate goalies so I'll continue with Sprouly

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:55 PM
cjm502
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
everything I've read about Marchenko has been impressive, but he's got to stay healthy for a year for me to put him this high. He stays healthy, I'm betting he flies up a lot of prospect lists. Have to wonder if he'd be in GR next year, too.
All reports claim he is crossing the pond for the 2013-2014 season. I believe it is Nikolai Vakourov, our Russian scout, who confirmed with Marachenko that he would come to NA if he was drafted by the Wings.

cjm502 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:34 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
The only reason I mentioned that was because I also pointed out Nicastro is a righty.
This is nice.

Jensen, Sproul, Marchenko and Nicastro all have this element. So does DeKeyser if I remember right if we sign him. The problem of the lack of right handed shooting d-man should be a thing of the past shortly.

Old
08-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Sproulsie. Add Athanasiou.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote