HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Weber's Deal Finalized, Contains no NMC/NTC

Old
08-13-2012, 08:38 AM
ilikeblocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
There is a rumor floating around that he is yet to sign his SPC with you guys as of August 8th. It seems the NTC/NMC is probably the reason why he hasn't. You guys getting worried about this somewhat with the CBA about to expire and him not inking that contract yet?
Still have him for at least one year under the previous arbitration ruling. I would expect it to take precedence over an unsigned matched offer sheet should the CBA radically change.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
There is a rumor floating around that he is yet to sign his SPC with you guys as of August 8th. It seems the NTC/NMC is probably the reason why he hasn't. You guys getting worried about this somewhat with the CBA about to expire and him not inking that contract yet?
I would think that the CBA expiring would be more pressure on Weber's agents than it would be on the Predators. They've matched the offer sheet as written, the agents are the ones trying to change the terms...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:06 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I would think it would be a total idiotic move if Shea doesnt sign by Sept 15th.

Would he really take the chance that his contract would be invalidated and he would have to sign his next deal under the terms of a new CBA?

Another questions is, is Shea not obligated to sign the deal, provided that the Preds supply the exact same terms as the offer sheet?

At some point shouldnt the NHL step and and say "you signed the offer sheet, the Preds have presented you with a contract that is identical to the offer sheet, thus you are under contract whether you actually sign it or not"

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:20 AM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

At some point shouldnt the NHL step and and say "you signed the offer sheet, the Preds have presented you with a contract that is identical to the offer sheet, thus you are under contract whether you actually sign it or not"
Exactly. That's how the rules work. It's getting annoying now.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:28 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I would think it would be a total idiotic move if Shea doesnt sign by Sept 15th.

Would he really take the chance that his contract would be invalidated and he would have to sign his next deal under the terms of a new CBA?

Another questions is, is Shea not obligated to sign the deal, provided that the Preds supply the exact same terms as the offer sheet?

From the CBA

Quote:
If the Prior Club gives the Restricted Free Agent and his Certified Agent, if any, notice, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto, that it is exercising its Right of First Refusal (a "First Refusal Exercise Notice"), such notice to be substantially in the form of Exhibit 7 attached hereto, to the Player's and his Certified Agent's, if any, address or facsimile number listed on the Offer Sheet, if any, within the seven (7) day period, such Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club shall be deemed to have entered into a binding agreement, which they shall promptly formalize in an SPC, containing: (i) all the Principal Terms (subject to subsection (e) below); and (ii) such additional terms as may be agreed upon between the Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club. The Prior Club may not Trade that Restricted Free Agent for a period of one year from the date it exercises its Right of First Refusal.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:02 PM
codeman00

That's straight to point...its a binding agreement when we match unless there is something else added that both parties agree to.

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Prongo
Beer

Thanks for the replies Nashville fans. Just figured I would get your opinions of what is going on. I hope everything gets straightened out and takes ya to the playoffs

Also if you ever need to trade him, the Flyers will still love to have him Enjoy the hockey season (if we have one )

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:58 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I would think that the CBA expiring would be more pressure on Weber's agents than it would be on the Predators. They've matched the offer sheet as written, the agents are the ones trying to change the terms...
I agree. Weber wanted to get his big money, longterm contract before the current cba expires because of rumors, that the league wants to limit term and bonuses in the new cba.

I don't see where Weber has any leverage in this situation.

Nashville would be tying their own hands, severely limiting their future options by giving Weber a NTC or NMC

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Broad Street Elite

The only leverage that Weber has is making this a PR nightmare for the Preds by not signing the deal. No reason for him to do that.

I still don't understand why there wasn't some conversation between the team and player before the offer sheet was matched to assess exactly what kind of ordeal they were getting themselves into. Not that it would definitely change your decision, but surely you'd want all the information.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
predfan98

factor in to the equation that webers agents are seemingly the most unprofessional bunch of idiots and you will have part of your answer as to why this hasn't been done yet.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

My opinion of Weber has absolutely tanked. My opinion of Poile, however, has risen has he is not giving into giving Weber a NTC. Poile HAS to stay strong on this point.

This drama pretty much confirms to me that Weber never wanted to be here and never expected us to match. Frankly, I almost wish we hadn't.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:44 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
The only leverage that Weber has is making this a PR nightmare for the Preds by not signing the deal. No reason for him to do that.

I still don't understand why there wasn't some conversation between the team and player before the offer sheet was matched to assess exactly what kind of ordeal they were getting themselves into. Not that it would definitely change your decision, but surely you'd want all the information.
I'm not really sure since this is our first experience with an offer sheet, but I do not think the player and team can have any contact during the seven days that the Preds had to match. Weber said something about how he was not supposed to talk to Trotz during that week when Trotz called him after Nashville decided to match. I would guess that extends to anyone in management and not just the coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
factor in to the equation that webers agents are seemingly the most unprofessional bunch of idiots and you will have part of your answer as to why this hasn't been done yet.
I don't like them either, but they seem to know what they're doing. I mean, they convinced Weber to switch over to them even though they really had no one of note on their client list. They successfully held out long enough to get to this summer where they exploited the existing CBA at the last minute (for all intents and purposes). They are jackasses, but they know how to get paid.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:15 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I don't like them either, but they seem to know what they're doing. I mean, they convinced Weber to switch over to them even though they really had no one of note on their client list. They successfully held out long enough to get to this summer where they exploited the existing CBA at the last minute (for all intents and purposes). They are jackasses, but they know how to get paid.
The rumor is, Weber's agents took a HUGE discount on their commission in order to pry Weber from Don Meehan. They already had Weber's good friend Josh Gorges in the fold, who ended up facilitating the introduction.

This NTC/NMC is a big deal. IMO, the agent is pushing hard for a full NTC -- and at Weber's request. It hurts the agent's reputation, but that's part of an agent's job -- to be the bad guy.

If Poile accepts a full NTC, its a huge risk for NSH. Weber could conceivably demand a trade next off-season with little or no downside risk, since he would control the destination.

08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
This. We really need him after the crazy bonuses are gone are hes a bargain.
this is why it's not needed. After your team has paid the crazy bonuses which have to be paid prior to him being eligible to be traded, no return that you get for him would be worth the bargain that he will be at that point. His salary & bonus structure are his NTC.

And if Weber was stupid enough to not report because of not having a NTC, No Bonus, Still Nashville's property and now contracting under the new CBA. If he's stupid enough to do that (which he isn't), you might want to reconsider if you want him on the team

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Daily "Sunshine" Post - Maybe Weber hasn't signed the SPC because Poile wants him to do it live at the Skate of the Union.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 08-15-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:02 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Daily "Sunshine" Post - Maybe Weber hasn't signed the SPC because Poile wants his to do it live at the Skate of the Union.
For a brief moment today, I was thinking this exact same thing. An usher friend of mine told me that there were grumblings that #6 might not be at SOTU because of the stalemate; anyone want to guess what the reaction will be from the fans in attendance should this occur????? GAWD, I HATE SUMMERTIME IN SMASHVILLE

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:59 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Daily "Sunshine" Post - Maybe Weber hasn't signed the SPC because Poile wants him to do it live at the Skate of the Union.
Exactly what I was thinking. This way he signs the paper in front of everyone.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Adz

Daily Sunshine Post--EXTRA!

Maybe he's on his honeymoon. He was supposed to get married this summer.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:27 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'm not so sure I'd be OK with holding off on a cool $13m just so I can sign my contract in front of fans. I mean, maybe if it were possible to go ahead and sign the SPC, but then pretend to sign it at the SkOTU. Otherwise I'd be wanting my signing bonus as soon as possible unless there is another hold up. We're talking about enough money here for Weber to flat out purchase a very nice house on a good amount of land. Unless he's still looking, that's not really something you want to hold off on for novelty reasons.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:26 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm not so sure I'd be OK with holding off on a cool $13m just so I can sign my contract in front of fans. I mean, maybe if it were possible to go ahead and sign the SPC, but then pretend to sign it at the SkOTU. Otherwise I'd be wanting my signing bonus as soon as possible unless there is another hold up. We're talking about enough money here for Weber to flat out purchase a very nice house on a good amount of land. Unless he's still looking, that's not really something you want to hold off on for novelty reasons.
I'd like to think that he signs at the SOTU and gets a huge cardboard check from the owners wearing pauper clothes with no shoes and contributors in their back pockets.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:37 PM
PredsFanFromla

I saw a list of the players that are scheduled to appear at the Skotu and captain weber wasn't on the list

Players scheduled to appear include Jon Blum, Mike Fisher, Paul Gaustad, Hal Gill, Kevin Klein, Chris Mason, Brian McGrattan, Craig Smith and Colin Wilson.

update: on why weber won't be at the skotu on monday,Per the Preds, Shea has a prior commitment to a hockey school and NHLPA meetings.

Last edited by PredsFanFromla: 08-16-2012 at 05:27 PM.
PredsFanFromla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:08 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Yeah apparently Weber has a hockey school commitment already. Hmmmm.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:47 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
yeah until a different hockey school throws more money at him

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:29 PM
PredsFanFromla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post

i saw a tweet by somebody that was at the hockey school in sicamous,bc,it said shea weber and cody franson have 120 kids in awe,you can't say no to kids that look up to shea as their idol

PredsFanFromla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I say give him a NTC, but if he requests a trade the clause becomes void. Or at least becomes very flexible, like he can only list 5 teams he wouldn't accept a trade to.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote