Detroit makes an offer for Jay. Bo

Old
08-13-2012, 01:46 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The Flames did not win the Phaneuf deal. The Leafs were an extremely poor team at the time of the trade and we got players that over exceeding due to the roles they were put in. None of the guys we got were bad players, but they were not what we needed.

The bad asset management came from a result of getting quantity in lieu of quality. We did not need players that are very easy to find in FA for a borderline franchise dman.

We probably could of landed Spezza for Dion if we added a 1st. It was not a good move and set back this franchise. The only positive from it was that we learned getting spare parts in a trade is not the way to go.
Thought Calgary would have learned their lesson after Gilmour.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:09 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
The Flames did not win the Phaneuf deal. The Leafs were an extremely poor team at the time of the trade and we got players that over exceeding due to the roles they were put in. None of the guys we got were bad players, but they were not what we needed.

The bad asset management came from a result of getting quantity in lieu of quality. We did not need players that are very easy to find in FA for a borderline franchise dman.

We probably could of landed Spezza for Dion if we added a 1st. It was not a good move and set back this franchise. The only positive from it was that we learned getting spare parts in a trade is not the way to go.
I heard Holmgren never knew Dion was available and was pissed when he found out as he wanted him we probably could have gotten one of M Richards or Jeff Carter.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Northern Neighbour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I heard Holmgren never knew Dion was available and was pissed when he found out as he wanted him we probably could have gotten one of M Richards or Jeff Carter.
I doubt either would have been available at the time since they were considered franchise players. Now Claude Giroux may have been available back in 2010. We'll never know, though.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Why did you have to tell me that?! I love Richards and the value probably would of been very close!

Sutter =

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I doubt either would have been available at the time since they were considered franchise players. Now Claude Giroux may have been available back in 2010. We'll never know, though.
Why did you have to tell me that?! I love Giroux and the value probably would of been very close!

Sutter =

Old
08-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Ynnek

vCash: 177
Anyone got a delorean?

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Giroux was already untouchable in 2009.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:19 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Damn you're probably right lol.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:36 AM
scoringmachine

There are lots of rumors going around about Jay Bo and I think if Calgary is seriously looking at trading Jay Bo they have to look at trading him to a team that can give them a top 4 d-man in return. The reason is Calgary only has Girodano, Wideman and Sarich as their top three if Jay Bo is traded they need someone to replace him. Besides the minutes that Jay Bo eats we do not have a guy who can consistently play against the oppositions top line. Unless Calgary get a d-man in return who can be their top d-man it is not worth trading Jay-bo as it will make the Flames weaker on defense.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
Giroux was already untouchable in 2009.
I don't think he was. He was a skinny forward that didn't have a role in the top-6 for the Flyers at the time. The Flyers also had other young players rated more highly at the time, such as James van Riemsyk and Joffrey Lupul, plus they had Richards, Carter, Briere, Hartnell, and Gagne. Their defence, meanwhile, still needed another top-4 guy.

Phaneuf was only 25 at the time, and it was well known that Holmgren had a big crush on Phaneuf. As such, I think Holmgren would have offered Giroux in a package. Of course, Sutter probably would have turned that offer down.

This is all speculative, but I do think Giroux would have been one piece of an offer for Phaneuf.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I think we could of got Giroux and a 2nd for Dion back then and I think Holmgren would of done that deal.

Old
08-13-2012, 12:32 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I got to admit, this is turning into a silly debate. What's done is done. But if we move Bouwmeester, we should get one guaranteed franchise peice, and not a couple of mediocre peices. We have one hole as an organization: A number centre. Bouwmeester is the only reason we don't have the hole of a top pairing defensemen. If we're going to put a hole in our club, we better be filling one. Wingers, goalies, top 4 defensemen, prospects, etc. are out of the question IMO.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

It is silly, but to be honest its summer and there really isn't much else to talk about around here. God I hope there isn't a lockout.

Old
08-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Ynnek

vCash: 177
If he's moved it better be for an upgrade at center. And if its Scott Gomez Feaster must have lost his meds.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:14 PM
pdd

Quote:

Dion Phaneuf is not and never was a "borderline franchise defenseman" and the only reason he saw Norris votes is because he was a big-hitting Canadian boy who put up some decent offensive numbers. Big hits equal defense, of course. We learned that in 1998 when Rob Blake won the Norris over Nicklas Lidstrom, despite Lidstrom's superior defense AND offense. Derian Hatcher's another example. Good stay-at-home guy, somehow people thought he was a superstar when he wasn't even the best defensive defenseman ON THE STARS. And the Stars also had two very good defensive defensemen who were pretty darn good offensively as well; Hatcher's only actual win was in his dirty physical game.

Phaneuf has seemed to improve a good deal defensively since his Calgary days; but it's at the expense of offense. Similar to Bouwmeester in that respect, although Bouwmeester has always played a much better defensive game. At the time of the trade, though, White was the better defensive defenseman. Last season it was hard to judge White's play because he played some of the season with Lidstrom and some with a shuffling of other partners. We should get a better idea this year where he is currently at compared to Phaneuf and if they're still "not that far apart" as I said.

One wonders. Filppula is supposedly "the piece" going to Calgary for Bouwmeester. Detroit would probably want a forward in return. What if it's Matt Stajan? That would change things up a bit. Say Filppula and Ericsson as has been rumored for Jbo and Stajan, with no picks.

It would then combine the JBo and Dion deals together into this as far as what left and what's still there:

Phaneuf, Leopold, Aulie, Sjostrom, Sutter, and a 1st for Filppula, Kotsopolous, Ericsson, and Babchuk.

Obviously it doesn't turn out too well. But if you add in players who left via free agency or waivers:

-Phaneuf, Leopold, Aulie, Sjostrom, Sutter and a 1st for Filppula, Hagman, Kotsopolous, Mayers, Ericsson, and Babchuk.

It's still trading for forward scoring; more specifically, Finnish scoring. Also, a couple grinders. Adding a couple big defensemen on the back end as well. Leopold is junk, Sjostrom is the worst grinder in the deal.

So toss out the junk pieces and we can tear it down to:

-Phaneuf, Aulie, Sutter, 1st for Filppula, Hagman, Ericsson, Babchuk

Dion for Flip is probably close to fair value, if not in Calgary's favor. So cut it off.

-Aulie, Sutter, 1st for Hagman, Ericsson, Babchuk

Now it's mortgaging the future for big defenseman and a fast winger, none of whom are core players, although Ericsson still has the potential to turn into a top-pairing defenseman. So again, it's a matter of mismanaging the assets received after the Phaneuf trade rather than losing the trade itself.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:46 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
If he's moved it better be for an upgrade at center. And if its Scott Gomez Feaster must have lost his meds.
Oh snap, I forgot about Gomez!! The hell with Couturier, that's a trade I would pull the trigger on!

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Barnission

Quote:
This thread is awfully depressing.

Barnission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
I think we could of got Giroux and a 2nd for Dion back then and I think Holmgren would of done that deal.
It's very, very unlikely that Holmgren would have done that deal.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Based on their organizational depth and needs at the time, I strongly disagree.

Old
08-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Body Checker

With the current state of cba negotiations, Bouwmeester isn't going anywhere, but with a cba I'd do boumeester and 2013 3rd for Jonathon Ericsson, Calle Jarnkrok and 1st round pick (Detroit's option of 2013 or 2014).

or replace Jarnkrok with a contract extended Filppula

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:20 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
With the current state of cba negotiations, Bouwmeester isn't going anywhere, but with a cba I'd do boumeester and 2013 3rd for Jonathon Ericsson, Calle Jarnkrok and 1st round pick (Detroit's option of 2013 or 2014).

or replace Jarnkrok with a contract extended Filppula
We don't upgrade any position and greatly downgrade defense and only add a mid first round pick and I would be pissed if we took that.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:56 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
How is that very, very unlikely that Holmgren would have done that deal? Holmgren had a mancrush on Phaneuf, and during that time Giroux wasn't a big star on the team. The deal could have been made.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:20 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
How is that very, very unlikely that Holmgren would have done that deal? Holmgren had a mancrush on Phaneuf, and during that time Giroux wasn't a big star on the team. The deal could have been made.
Wasting your time lol, how do you not have this guy on your ignore list yet?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:28 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Holmgren would've been out on his ass if there was even a smidgeon of a rumour involving Giroux. Clarke was high on him for a reason. Don't know why you're bickering back and forth over it anyway. Whether or not Giroux would have been involved is irrelevant to anything being discussed.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:55 PM
AfricanHerbsman

Quote:
are you kidding me? they totally would have done that deal in a heart beat. i understand your upset that we are probs getting flip but dion could have got us claude easily.

AfricanHerbsman is offline   Reply With Quote