HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

The Lockout Thread: Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Old
08-09-2012, 08:42 PM
geehaad

vCash: 500
You know, given the point that the NBA returned, I might be willing to give conspiracy theorists my ear if ^ this ^ happens.

And then watch...NHL players will have injuries at just above an average pace, and it will be all that the talking heads will be talking about.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:51 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

You know another reason why we need a season?

Well I was just looking through some of the GDT's from this past season and a few others from previous years, and maybe it's because I'm easily amused but I lol'ed hard reading most of them.

How can we all forget Fishing in Ontario, the powerball couple from Minnesota, Staal's jealousy of Skinner, Tripp and his randomness, and other interesting and lively topics.

Now that we have some new players, new jokes and memes are in demand. Don't screw this up NHL.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I bet the NHL is actually hoping to have the Winter Classic as the opening game of the season.

But that would be such bull****.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Luke just threw out the same guess.

I'll be extremely pissed if this isn't resolved in a month, but that's looking highly unlikely.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

I'm still holding out hope. The NHL has gotta realize three lockouts in under 20 years will basically kill the league to everyone except diehards.

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
I bet the NHL is actually hoping to have the Winter Classic as the opening game of the season.

But that would be such bull****.
I regretfully have to say that that makes too much sense for it not to happen. A "Look fans, we care so much about you that we start just in time to get our cash cow." I started off saying that they would realize it would kill the casual fan base, but now the Winter Classic date seems much more obvious to me.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:08 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
I regretfully have to say that that makes too much sense for it not to happen. A "Look fans, we care so much about you that we start just in time to get our cash cow." I started off saying that they would realize it would kill the casual fan base, but now the Winter Classic date seems much more obvious to me.
If it's obvious to the players that the owners just want to save the Winter Classic, then that's quite a bit of leverage for the NHLPA, right? And the fact that the owners killed a season to get the current CBA that they now cannot survive another season with, is also another huge chunk of leverage for the players.

Yet, here we are.

Why? Because 2004-05 proved something to the owners. It proved that they could kill and entire season and come back stronger than ever. Despite all the "another lockout will kill the casual fan base" talk, it just simply isn't true. The fans come back stronger than ever every time.

The owners aren't milking the players. They're milking the fans. And when it's all done, they'll put "Thank you fans" on the ice and everything will be forgiven.

If we really want this dance to stop, we need to stop caring. Stop buying 10,000 "NASH" jerseys within 24 hours of this trade to the Rangers. Stop buying season tickets for a season that probably won't happen. The fans are the problem here. Not the owners and not the players. We've allowed that to happen.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
If it's obvious to the players that the owners just want to save the Winter Classic, then that's quite a bit of leverage for the NHLPA, right? And the fact that the owners killed a season to get the current CBA that they now cannot survive another season with, is also another huge chunk of leverage for the players.

Yet, here we are.

Why? Because 2004-05 proved something to the owners. It proved that they could kill and entire season and come back stronger than ever. Despite all the "another lockout will kill the casual fan base" talk, it just simply isn't true. The fans come back stronger than ever every time.

The owners aren't milking the players. They're milking the fans. And when it's all done, they'll put "Thank you fans" on the ice and everything will be forgiven.

If we really want this dance to stop, we need to stop caring. Stop buying 10,000 "NASH" jerseys within 24 hours of this trade to the Rangers. Stop buying season tickets for a season that probably won't happen. The fans are the problem here. Not the owners and not the players. We've allowed that to happen.
I feel so dirty.....

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:

Yet, here we are.

I'd like for the fans to boycott the Winter Classic, but that simply isn't going to happen. There's no way Detroit isn't going to support their home team, and we all know that the Toronto fans will want to see the first Winter Classic they are involved in.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:44 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

My points:

1) There is no way there will be a lockout. They wouldn't be stupid enough to do that **** again.

2) If there is a lockout, we will win the Stanley Cup in 2013-2014.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

When it comes to money, people can be very, very stupid.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
When it comes to money, people can be very, very stupid.
I have personal experience with this. It happens every friday nite when I go clubbing and wind up tipping my bartender way too much just cause she's wearing a low cut shirt and gives me a hug

Old
08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
I am assuming that Semin's contract is not getting paid at all if there is a lockout, which prompts me to say:

Maybe JR is really smart, and he figures he will make this big dollar signing to appease us all, knowing there wont be hockey this year....seems like something he would do.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:06 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Sorry, but I ain't about to lose my priority by not renewing my season tickets. I've worked hard for that priorty (2001), not about to get to the end of the line over this. So in other words, easier said then done.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache View Post
I am assuming that Semin's contract is not getting paid at all if there is a lockout, which prompts me to say:

Maybe JR is really smart, and he figures he will make this big dollar signing to appease us all, knowing there wont be hockey this year....seems like something he would do.
Stopped reading right there.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache View Post
I'm pretty sure "appeasing us" is something that doesn't even enter JR's mind when making trades or signing players. And rightfully so.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

08-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Sorry Coop, but you lost me.

Old
08-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

It was a half joke/half serious suggestion that bringing back Erik Cole was an attempt to appease the fan base.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
It was a half joke/half serious suggestion that bringing back Erik Cole was an attempt to appease the fan base.
Ah....

I personally think it was more to try and appease Eric Staal.

Old
08-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Ah....

I personally think it was more to try and appease Joe Corvo.
Fixed.

Old
08-13-2012, 08:02 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Sorry, but I ain't about to lose my priority by not renewing my season tickets. I've worked hard for that priorty (2001), not about to get to the end of the line over this. So in other words, easier said then done.
This is why lockouts happen. The fans aren't willing to do what has to be done to stop them. It's really that simple. Because at the end of the day, we're *not* in this together. We all have our reasons for doing what we have to do, so let's drop the faux outrage over a lockout we fully support.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:36 PM
geehaad

Quote:
let's drop the faux outrage over a lockout we fully support.
I don't support the lockout. I support the team. I would think many believe the same thing, and they wouldn't be deluded in their belief.

What an asinine thing to say.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 807
Quote:
This is why lockouts happen. The fans aren't willing to do what has to be done to stop them. It's really that simple. Because at the end of the day, we're *not* in this together. We all have our reasons for doing what we have to do, so let's drop the faux outrage over a lockout we fully support.
Really? Because someone's not willing to give up season tickets they "support" a lockout? That seems ridiculous. If someone WANTS a lockout, why are they buying season tickets? I understand what you're saying, but you've taken it way too far. It's not "fake" outrage, someone who buys season tickets buys them because they want to see hockey, and will be legitimately outraged when there's no hockey. Season ticket holders aren't "out to get" the NHL, as you seem to be implying.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:36 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

It goes a step farther -- someone who purchases season tickets has a financial investment in a full season. They have paid their deposit and at least part of their tab already. Even if they are eventually due a refund for missing games, they have money locked up in the hope that they will get to enjoy the whole experience from preseason to playoffs.

Not only that, but on a broader basis the season-ticket holder is doing his part to prevent the conditions that lead to lockouts. If the Hurricanes consistently make money, they have less reason to put their weight behind a labor war.

Labor issues are part of the landscape of pro sports. It's been that way since the VERY beginning. Love it or loathe it, these are not kids playing on a pond for fun. There will be conflicts over money.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote