HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

OT: Bolt "I'm a legend. I知 also the greatest athlete to live"

Old
08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Tadite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
He can run as fast as he wants but he won't outrun what he has said for the rest of his life.
Most of the time he's joking. I think after getting asked the same stupid question a couple of hundred times he starts to screw with people.

Mostly it's. "I'm a legend and it's a honor to be compared to other legends." Which is true. He's no more egomanical then every other sprinter.

Somehow I think one of the most famous, and beloved, athletes in the world is going to be ok... You do know that not a single hockey player currently playing is in the same realm as Bolt in international recognition.

Quote:
He is the first track and field guy I have ever heard make such ridiculous claims about his own greatness.
You've never heard of the greatest American track and field guy ever? Carl Lewis? A man who was so egotistic that our own American track and field team wouldn't put him on the 4X100 relay, allowing him to break the record for most golds by any track and field star ever. They publicly talked about how they didn't want him to win it because they didn't like him as a person.

Bolt tries to be funny and is liked.

Quote:
If he is the greatest blah blah blah does that mean that the next person who beats becomes the next greatest blah blah blah?
Yes. That's the point.

I think that as fans of a sport that has only had one world famous athlete that will ever reach the level of Usain Bolt, and we call him "The Great One," maybe we shouldn't throw stones... Something about glass houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
.the top athletes to ever live would be those who played more challenging sports,
He's the fastest person to have ever lived. That sounds challenging.

Quote:
lead their team to championships
You know they did just break the 4X100 WR.... Again.

Quote:
I do not mean to belittle or diss his personal achievements,
You kinda did.

Quote:
greatest athletes in my book are ones who make personal achievements and in team sports
No team sport existed in the original Olympics and the vast majority of sports in the modern are individual.

I guess you can ignore the majority of athletic achievement. If you want.

Quote:
give him some ice skates, a few weeks of training and put him on the ice with an NHL team.
I'm sorry... But this is really stupid.

What you're really saying is that nothing matters unless it's in a physical team sport? Like **** that marathoner. Screw the pentathlon. Weightlifting? Wrestling? Boxing? Must be a bunch of pansies.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:43 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

So what your saying is tadite is that Bolt has won more gold medals than anyone else in his sport of all time and actually is the greatest track and field athlete of all time in his discipline(s), right?

Because in order for he or anyone to be or to by their own words be anointed as "the great one" that is the only acceptable qualifier.

I don't understand your point about glass houses, I don't ever recall 99 calling himself "the great one" or "the greatest athlete of all time" or whatever else Bolt has or might have said.

That is a HUGE distinction to me, 99 was called the greatest hockey player of all time and seemed to be humble enough to where if you were to call him that to his face he would disagree.

While what Holt has accomplished may or may not make him the greatest track runner of all time I honestly don't know but the fact that he himself proclaims that title and more sort of makes it untrue.

If your saying that because Bolt has set or broken world records and that is why he is a great one then he belittles himself further because he isn't the only world record setting athlete in the Olympics nor is he Michael Phelps a record setting athlete who has won more medals than any other athlete of all time.

The reason I don't know if he is or isn't the greatest track runner of all time is that I just don't follow the sport and on one hand you have said that he is joking while on the other you have said that he is a great one.

Even if he is the greatest runner of all time (accomplished more than any other runner) I can't see where calling himself that is much more than ridiculous but maybe that was the point?

Last edited by etherialone: 08-12-2012 at 10:54 AM.
etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Tadite

Quote:
is the greatest track and field athlete of all time in his discipline(s), right?
He's the fastest human to have existed.

Sounds all time to me regardless of all the weird discipline stuff you keep throwing out.

Quote:
but the fact that he himself proclaims that title and more sort of makes it untrue.
He calls himself a legend because he is.

Cassius Clay (and Carl Lewis et el) did the very same thing, was, and is so beloved that though he's shockingly physically disabled a country not of his birth had him a the opening ceremony to touch the Olympic flag and made a point to focus on him. You have heard of Muhammad Ali... haven't you?

Bolt is the only person in his generation that has a chance to be that and you simply do not understand how famous he is. He isn't some minor little athlete in an unknown sport. He's one of the most reconisable people on the planet. Hell, just in the 100m more people watched him then know of the existence of hockey. Most estimates are in the Billions....

Quote:
then he belittles himself further because he isn't the only world record setting athlete
Never really said all that. Most of the time he talks about all the others. Just after breaking a WR he's all excited. He isn't as produced/managed as Phelps.

I think that's your mistake. You're to use'd to the standard cliched speeches. Lots of god, family, and coaches. That's just cliche. It's not real. Bolts a guy with actual personality.

Quote:
in the Olympics nor is he Michael Phelps a record setting athlete who has won more medals than any other athlete of all time.
Yea... So wheres the outrage when Phelps called himself the greatest Olympian of all time? Something that's blatantly stupid.

Quote:
I just don't follow the sport
He's the fastest human to exist. Ever. As in all of human existence. As in since we evolved. You don't really need to know anything more then that.

Quote:
and on one hand you have said that he is joking while on the other you have said that he is a great one.
Yes.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Most of the time he's joking.
This is the bottom line. This whole thread is just silly.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Right?

If anyone has read anything about Bolt they should know that that is the guys personality. Very funny, very flamboyant, very happy and enjoyable personality.

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
He is getting a tryout with Manchester United.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympic...-olympics.html

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:53 PM
MsWoof

I don't like comparing athletes from sport to sport or generation to generation. He is a legend and he's a lot of fun but I'm a bit tired of the bragging. I was just glad he had to run the entire 100 metres in the 4 x 100 because he usually let's up. I've really never seen anyone who can perform at such a high level with so much nonchalance right before an event.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:54 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Brian Boitano is the greatest athlete of all time.
what would Brian Boitano do if he were here today?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:06 PM
thrillhouse99

i ate a really big sandwich earlier. after i was done i slammed the table with my fist and exclaimed "im the greatest athlete of all time!"

consequently i was asked to leave applebees.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Vamos Rafa
。Vamos!

When you have female Olympic athletes like some of the members of the Swedish handball team coming to your Olympic Village apartment to "party" with you (in other words, have sexy time), you can say whatever you want...

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

The obvious answer is Jim Thorpe

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:49 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
He's the fastest person to have ever lived. That sounds challenging.
He's the fastest "known" runner of the past 200 years or so. I'm sure there are people in 3rd world countries who don't participate in the Olympics who are ridiculously fast.

As far as *all time*, I heard this guy, Phidippides, was a pretty solid runner.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:49 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
The obvious answer is Jim Thorpe
This. Absolutely.

Considered one of the most versatile athletes of modern sports, he won Olympic gold medals for the 1912 pentathlon and decathlon, played American football (collegiate and professional), and also played professional baseball and basketball.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
This. Absolutely.

Considered one of the most versatile athletes of modern sports, he won Olympic gold medals for the 1912 pentathlon and decathlon, played American football (collegiate and professional), and also played professional baseball and basketball.
No other explanation needed. Too bad Bolt thinks athlete means fast running only

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:46 AM
johnjm22

Muhammad Ali used to make similarly boisterous comments and no ever seemed to hold it against him.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:41 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

i love that ****! whats wrong with you people? hes a dream come true to track & field (hella boring sport) he even gets the attention of hfboards. One of my favorite athletes right now.

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:09 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
i love that ****! whats wrong with you people? hes a dream come true to track & field (hella boring sport) he even gets the attention of hfboards. One of my favorite athletes right now.
Attention for the wrong reasons.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Vic Vinegar

I wonder how people would feel about him if he was American.

I remember seeing an interview where, while the reporter was talking to him, a national anthem started and he immediately turned around and stopped the interview out of respect for the athlete receiving a medal. But apparently if he has a little fun after breaking a world record, he's a doosh.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Richie10

Always love the bristled, indignant reaction from (predominately white) HFBoards when an athlete of color succeeds and brags about it.

Richie10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak187 View Post
I wonder how people would feel about him if he was American.

I remember seeing an interview where, while the reporter was talking to him, a national anthem started and he immediately turned around and stopped the interview out of respect for the athlete receiving a medal. But apparently if he has a little fun after breaking a world record, he's a doosh.
Yea I mean wtf he also does charity work

http://usainbolt.com/foundation/

In Los Angeles

http://www.looktothestars.org/news/7...ds-for-charity

He even received an award from the United Way for his work in Jamaica

http://usainbolt.com/foundations/bol...d-way-jamaica/

But he said he was the greatest athlete to live. God damnit what a horrible douchey human being. I hate him now.

Old
08-13-2012, 12:24 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

He's probably using PEDs anyway, most of his fellow countrymen have tested positive in the recent past and his trainer used to work BALCO.

For those of you who don't know, BALCO was pretty much the platform for the steroid era in baseball.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

So now he's a ****** AND does performance enhancing drugs.

LOL this is good.

Old
08-13-2012, 12:30 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post

LOL this is good.
I'm not just pulling that out of thin-air, it's all true (regarding his countrymen). Not to mention that PEDs run rampant in track & field worldwide.

And I like Bolt

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Richie10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post

LOL this is good.
A **** allegation is sure to come next.

Hide yo kids

Richie10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Vamos Rafa
。Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
Hella? What are you, a Sharks fan?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote