HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers 'step up' offer for Bouwmeester

Old
08-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Tripod

vCash: 500
In the end...it come down to this:

Are the Flyers better with Couts + say a Rosival or Coli or

adding a Bouwmeester but costing Couts. It's fairly easy to guess the 1st one is the better choice for Philly.

Last edited by Tripod: 08-13-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Calgary will not land Couturier for Bouwmeester, and this is coming from a Flames fan. We should end discussing that nonsense already. It's simply not going to happen.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Calgary will not land Couturier for Bouwmeester, and this is coming from a Flames fan. We should end that discussing that nonsense already. It's simply not going to happen.
Yeah Flames can forget about a Couturier.

If he wasn't going to be in an offer for Weber, there is no way he'd be in one for JayBo, but I do think that the Flames have struck gold with JayBo because they will get a great deal for him because defenseman of his calibre are in demand right now and not many teams want to trade them.

Flyers desperately need him to have any sort of chance at the Cup next year (don't give me JayBo's playoff stats, I know it isn't good).

Flyers D is very weak and they're ripe for a first round exit if they don't get a guy like JayBo and I'm not sure the Flyers can afford to waste a year of Giroux super cheap contract on a first round exit.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:22 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

What about something like Wellwood/Read+Gustafsson+

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:46 AM
ORYX

I'm not about to read all 18 pages, but this is a joke right? Nobody in their right might, or even mental would suggest Bouwmeester for Couturier right?

Come on guys, don't make me think mankind has in fact reached the end.....

Personally, I'd like to start the season with what is there, and see what they can do or what deals could be had.

At the same time, if they felt the need to bring in a body, a Colaicovo or Roszisval would be IMO the better option then spending picks/bodies for a player that wouldnt be any better and is also a stop gap.

Unless they are getting a top pairing player (im talking top pairing after all the injured players return) then its not worth giving up players or picks, especially when we dont even know if the season is going to start on time.

Thats the wild card. No sense trading for a player to fill a hole that might be filled by the currently injured player on account of a lockout up until the time as that player has healed.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:08 AM
JohnnyGoodDro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I'm not about to read all 18 pages, but this is a joke right? Nobody in their right might, or even mental would suggest Bouwmeester for Couturier right?

Personally, I'd like to start the season with what is there, and see what they can do or what deals could be had.

At the same time, if they felt the need to bring in a body, a Colaicovo or Roszisval would be IMO the better option then spending picks/bodies for a player that wouldnt be any better and is also a stop gap.

Unless they are getting a top pairing player (im talking top pairing after all the injured players return) then its not worth giving up players or picks, especially when we dont even know if the season is going to start on time.

Thats the wild card. No sense trading for a player to fill a hole that might be filled by the currently injured player on account of a lockout up until the time as that player has healed.
ya, you're right, roszival and coliacovo are equal to jbo

JohnnyGoodDro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:10 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Unless the Flames get one or more D back, wouldn't Bouwmeester departure leave a huge hole on their blueline (regardless of your opinion of him - he does eat a ton of minutes)?
Yes. Which is why the trade talk surprises me. They have no prospects ready to step in either.

madmike77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
What about something like Wellwood/Read+Gustafsson+
Coming from a fellow Hamiltonian....Wellwood and Gus, done. Wellwood's good, but for a 25 min/game Dman, nice knowing you.

I also think the rumours about the Flyers' alleged interest in signing Colaiacovo would not preclude a deal for Bouwmeester. It might make it more likely, esp. if Gus was going the other way.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:22 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:

That all depends. What do you think Couturier's potential is? He already appears to be an effective two way centre, and it seems entirely likely that he'll be a good 2nd line C. If that were to be his max potential, though, how would trading him for JBo be a bad trade for the Flyers? A prime aged first pairing dman for a young top 6 C isn't outrageous by any means.

Now if you think he's capable of becoming a first line centre, I can see why you'd balk. I just find that HFBoards, likely due to the nature of the discussion, overvalues youth, and I don't think this discussion is any exception. Yes, it's better to have a good player who's in his early 20s, but for teams that are contending for the cup, it can often be worthwhile to trade up in age at a different position (sometimes even the same position) for a player who fits that team's needs.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:24 AM
pld459666

I think that Calgary should be able to get Simmonds+ for J-Bo.

What that + is, is anyone's guess. But I have no doubt that the Flyers would move Simmonds for help on the back end.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
That all depends. What do you think Couturier's potential is? He already appears to be an effective two way centre, and it seems entirely likely that he'll be a good 2nd line C. If that were to be his max potential, though, how would trading him for JBo be a bad trade for the Flyers? A prime aged first pairing dman for a young top 6 C isn't outrageous by any means.

Now if you think he's capable of becoming a first line centre, I can see why you'd balk. I just find that HFBoards, likely due to the nature of the discussion, overvalues youth, and I don't think this discussion is any exception. Yes, it's better to have a good player who's in his early 20s, but for teams that are contending for the cup, it can often be worthwhile to trade up in age at a different position (sometimes even the same position) for a player who fits that team's needs.
Oh my good god, just give up the Couturier for Jaybo talk. It's a joke. You are never getting Couturier for Jaybo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think that Calgary should be able to get Simmonds+ for J-Bo.

What that + is, is anyone's guess. But I have no doubt that the Flyers would move Simmonds for help on the back end.
Thats not going to happen from a flyers point of view. Not at all. Ever.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:35 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

SAY NO TO JBO..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:39 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 565
Why are people talking about Couts for JBo? We would need to add to that.

Flames just got a new coach, I hope Feaster stands pat. Sutter played a defensive game, so JBO wasn't utilized well. With Hartley wanting to use more of an offensive system, JBo will play better.

TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Vic Vinegar

So, who are the Flyers willing to part with for JayBo? Seems like Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, and probably Voracek are off the table. Who does that leave?

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:43 AM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

vCash: 770
I haven't read the 18 pages of the thread, but have the Red Wings been offiicially out of the ''race'' for JBo?

The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak187 View Post
So, who are the Flyers willing to part with for JayBo? Seems like Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, and probably Voracek are off the table. Who does that leave?
Read and a prospect is probably the best Calgary will do. No one is giving up prime young assets for that contract.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:49 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardingsJockstrap View Post
I haven't read the 18 pages of the thread, but have the Red Wings been offiicially out of the ''race'' for JBo?
No one was ever officially in the race, it's all speculation at this point.

But if you read the first page, then you could have seen a possible race would be between Philly and Detroit.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Read and a prospect is probably the best Calgary will do. No one is giving up prime young assets for that contract.
This.

If Calgary started the conversation with names like Read, Laughton, Cousins, etc and some sort of pick(s), the Flyers are interested. If the price is higher than that, it simply becomes a matter of the UFA alternatives being a more reasonable overall benefit than the team with JBo and minus those other assets.

Not that tough a calculation from the Flyers side.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:00 PM
JohnnyGoodDro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
With the way garrison, carle, suter and weber juat got overpaid, jbos contract isnt that bad anymore.

JohnnyGoodDro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Andrei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This.

If Calgary started the conversation with names like Read, Laughton, Cousins, etc and some sort of pick(s), the Flyers are interested. If the price is higher than that, it simply becomes a matter of the UFA alternatives being a more reasonable overall benefit than the team with JBo and minus those other assets.

Not that tough a calculation from the Flyers side.
If that is the Flyers' best offer, I would certainly hope that Feaster walks away and just waits to see how Bouwmeester does with a new coach. Its not worth shipping off a top pairing defenceman for middling prospects and draft picks.

Andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Langdon Alger*

Couturier is a pipe dream.

The article pegged Feaster's asking price at a first-rounder and a prospect, and even though he couldn't get it at the draft, there's no reason he couldn't now if a bidding war erupts. Do the deal for that price, then bring in one of the UFA guys as a stopgap.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:07 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
ya, you're right, roszival and coliacovo are equal to jbo
You evidently believe Jbo is a top pairing D-man on a team looking to contend? I don't. You should see my point. (I believe he is a minute eater, top pairing d-man on a mediocre to average team, not one that wants the holy grail, thus parting with assets which could be used to acquire a bonafide, top pairing guy for a stop gap is poor asset management)

Why spend picks and players on a guy who isnt an improvement on what you've got slated to come back, potentially before the season even starts? Yes Jbo is better then Mesz, but IMO adding another 2nd pairing d-man isnt the answer.

99% of Flyer fans will tell you its redundant to add a 2nd/3rd pairing dman when the they already have arguably 6. If they want to add via trade, make the investment worth it and go for a top guy. If you want a stop gap, theres stop gaps available at no cost other then a contract.

Jbo is not the answer, they'd probably miss the playoffs if they brought him in....

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:08 PM
ZetterBurger

I don't see how Philly can outbid other teams for these defenseman without putting Couturier into the equation. If I were a Feester I would demand Couturier from the Flames since I don't need to deal Jay. He is a FLame for 2 more years unless osmeone convinces them to trade him.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:10 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
You evidently believe Jbo is a top pairing D-man on a team looking to contend? I don't. You should see my point.

Why spend picks and players on a guy who isnt an improvement on what you've got slated to come back, potentially before the season even starts? Yes Jbo is better then Mesz, but IMO adding another 2nd pairing d-man isnt the answer.

99% of Flyer fans will tell you its redundant to add a 2nd/3rd pairing dman when the they already have arguably 6. If they want to add via trade, make the investment worth it and go for a top guy. If you want a stop gap, theres stop gaps available at no cost other then a contract.

Jbo is not the answer, they'd probably miss the playoffs if they brought him in....
Bouwmeester is a #2 defenseman who has played the role of #1 and 2 defenseman his whole career. Put him on the top pair of a defense that has another top pair guy and you will see how good he is.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:19 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
I don't see how Philly can outbid other teams for these defenseman without putting Couturier into the equation. If I were a Feester I would demand Couturier from the Flames since I don't need to deal Jay. He is a FLame for 2 more years unless osmeone convinces them to trade him.
What would the Red Wings have to give then? Just curious as I assume you're a Wings fan and here apparently in the hunt.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote