HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 06:37 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Keep a close eye on Travis Konecny. I believe he is still with Elgin Middlesex Chiefs. 134 points last year. He also played up with the 96's at the Silver Stick Tourney. He is no secret but he is progressing very fast .

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 07-25-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old
07-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Keep a close eye on Travis Konecny. I believe he is still with Elgin Middlesex Chiefs. 134 points last year. He also played up with the 96's at the Silver Stick Tourney. He is no secret but he is progressing very fast .
Kid is definately a dynamic player. I only wish he'd grow a little bit. The kid absolutely loves the physical side of the game. He is a vicious hitter and he can really dish it out. He also relishes the one-on-one battles that last through entire games and series', and he really steps up the physical play when somebody actually wants to go with him.

At his size, though, he's going to start losing some of those big collisions, and that's going to lead to him getting hurt or just wearing down over time.

Maybe he should just make a little adjustment, and be a little smarter with his play. As an example, there's no point getting the other team riled up in a 5-0 game. There's also no point in running a guy with a few second left in a game. He does both of these too often.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:26 AM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Kid is definately a dynamic player. I only wish he'd grow a little bit. The kid absolutely loves the physical side of the game. He is a vicious hitter and he can really dish it out. He also relishes the one-on-one battles that last through entire games and series', and he really steps up the physical play when somebody actually wants to go with him.

At his size, though, he's going to start losing some of those big collisions, and that's going to lead to him getting hurt or just wearing down over time.

Maybe he should just make a little adjustment, and be a little smarter with his play. As an example, there's no point getting the other team riled up in a 5-0 game. There's also no point in running a guy with a few second left in a game. He does both of these too often.

Agree, both Konecny and Stephens play a similar game. Konecney more flashy. Both had a great showing at AllState game. Team that selects either player will be fortunate. There appears a clear consensus on First round picks. Most coming from Marlies and Oakville ?
The real job for scouts is beyond round 3

Old
07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
wingman22

The kids from the USA noted are the top players. Worenski, Hanafin Kirwin, Able and Bracco were all impressive at NTDP. They may choose to stay and play USHL and maintain NCAA eligibility. Great opportunity for them instead of th O

Old
07-27-2012, 11:06 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Also d-man last year at Marlies and this just recently at All-State AC event Kyle Capobianco will be in OAkville.

Kid from scranton has signed.

They have added 9 new players, 2 from Mississauga, 1 from Toronto and 2 kids from Oakville returned from the G. Only 4 players from out of town.

Rick Vaive will be HC, taking over from Ken Strong who got a gig in Austria with Red Bull.
Hey Crott your the Oakville expert around here so I have a question. Is Daniel Sprong officially on that team? I Heard rumblings about him playing in the Quebec midget league.
Do u know what team Cameron Lizotte is playing for this year? (copper cliff redman last year)

Old
07-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Hey Crott your the Oakville expert around here so I have a question. Is Daniel Sprong officially on that team? I Heard rumblings about him playing in the Quebec midget league.
Do u know what team Cameron Lizotte is playing for this year? (copper cliff redman last year)
I'll check with my sources re Sprong. Lizotte I probably couldn't give you an answer about....sorry.

Old
07-28-2012, 09:29 AM
checkmate3

Yes..Sprong is with Oakville!

Old
08-01-2012, 01:25 AM
Pinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscout View Post
Excuse me "friend"...your exactly right,that list was made off of viewings from peewee and minor bantam,what other years of experience would I use for these players?Good players build solid resumes during a whole hockey career. I have seen more games then you can comprehend and if i remember correctly in my prior posts, I was the first to correctly call Roland McKeown and Sam Bennett going to Kingston at the spots they did.Now your right, This list is out of place and I would definately rearrange some players as it stands right now but a list is a list and you didn't put the time into make it,so you shouldn't be given the time to negatively comment on it.It was suppose to promotes discussion.
Get off your high horse "friend" I'm a 64 year old ex semi pro that likes to watch minor hockey and your list is outdated!

Old
08-01-2012, 02:21 AM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch View Post
Get off your high horse "friend" I'm a 64 year old ex semi pro that likes to watch minor hockey and your list is outdated!
Could you offer us an updated list of players to watch Pinch? I come here to read about upcoming hockey players to watch this year not to read people argue about outdated lists. Give us an opinion on the kids to watch and how they play.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:51 AM
Pinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Could you offer us an updated list of players to watch Pinch? I come here to read about upcoming hockey players to watch this year not to read people argue about outdated lists. Give us an opinion on the kids to watch and how they play.
Nope... go to the games! Don't forget, there are great players in the OMHA as well as the G..

Old
08-09-2012, 06:35 AM
hockeyonice

First tournament starts 4 weeks from today lots of good teams out there to watch
gthl alliance eta scta north
Marlies EMC York Simcoe Oakville Soo Thunder
Rebels London gold Whitby Brampton
Jr. Can Kingston Southern tier

Plus many more should be a great start to the year

Old
08-09-2012, 11:39 AM
walker33

I am training almost the entire YSE AAA 97 group. A lot of these boys have grown since last summer. Should be a decent team with a need player added who is projected first round. Should make a big difference. Lets see how they do!

Old
08-12-2012, 08:24 PM
OntarioHockeyTheBest

does anyone know what team cam lizotte and blake speers are going to be playing for this year?i would love to see a tournament of theirs sometime.

Old
08-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioHockeyTheBest View Post
does anyone know what team cam lizotte and blake speers are going to be playing for this year?i would love to see a tournament of theirs sometime.
So believe they will be on the Soo Thunder and Nickel City Sons travel teams. Thats what has been communicated to me

Old
08-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Hockey Fan 19

I understand the NOHA Under 17 Development camp was this past weekend. Anyone attend as Blake Spears should have been there as well as Lizotte.

Old
08-12-2012, 09:11 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Keep an eye on Trent Fox from the Chatham AAA. He's apparently heading to play for a prep school in London next year

He's the younger brother of Dane Fox (Erie) but has more skill to his game. He was dominant last year during HS competition.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Keep an eye on Trent Fox from the Chatham AAA. He's apparently heading to play for a prep school in London next year
I should have come here to read before I posted it in another thread

That's going to turn into a battle, so they better have all their ducks in a nice little row. London has not earned much slack with the Alliance this year. They've already got double-digit F1 players in minor midget.

You are definately right on the plan, but whether it's successful is up in the air.

Quote:
He's the younger brother of Dane Fox (Erie) but has more skill to his game. He was dominant last year during HS competition.
I wouldn't say Trent has more skill in his game than Dane. If Dane has Trent's size in minor midget, he would have been a 1st round pick.

If Trent does land in London, he'll be their best forward.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Foober40

Hi Tigers ,

At the NOHA AGM I was talking to some of the GNML managers and I was told the following . Since the Soo is hosting the All Canadian's this year the minor hockey executive there has agreed to make all the midget age players available to the North Stars first . All players will be required to attend the Stars camp and they have first right on signing a player . I understand however that there are some issues regarding this ruling so I guess we'll have to wait and see where everybody ends up . As for Sudbury , again I was told that the Nickel Wolves signed what are considered the best minor midgets already . This was done before the All Canadians this spring . Again I guess we'll have to wait and see who they considered the best minor midgets .Have a good day all

Old
08-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foober40 View Post
All players will be required to attend the Stars camp and they have first right on signing a player.
If indeed true, thats the most disapointing news I've heard all summer. Politics wins over development. Kid's suffer.

That said, I have been told that they are listen on the Soo Thunder and Nikel City Sons rosters for the coming season, which is as it should be.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 08-13-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old
08-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Hockey Fan 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
If indeed true, thats the most disapointing news I've heard all summer. Politics wins over development. Kid's suffer.

That said, I have been told that they are listen on the Soo Thunder and Nikel City Sons rosters for the coming season, which is as it should be.
This situation will be worked out to the benefit of both clubs. THe two teams have a very good working relationship and understand the needs of players at both levels. As the North Stars are returning most of their core from a season ago, there will not be a need for many if any of the Minor Midget players. Remember that the 96 age group silvered at the All Ontario Bantam championships and have a number of potential players that are quite capable of playing on the Major Midget team. The only players that are confirmed to have moved on that could have returned are Amadio, Caruso, and Miller.

Old
08-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan 19 View Post
This situation will be worked out to the benefit of both clubs. THe two teams have a very good working relationship and understand the needs of players at both levels. As the North Stars are returning most of their core from a season ago, there will not be a need for many if any of the Minor Midget players. Remember that the 96 age group silvered at the All Ontario Bantam championships and have a number of potential players that are quite capable of playing on the Major Midget team. The only players that are confirmed to have moved on that could have returned are Amadio, Caruso, and Miller.
My biggest concern is with the players that the OHL wants to see. For example, Blake Speers is someone that could be a top 10 selection. Because of this, the OHL and its scouts want to see him as much as possible, against the best competition availuable. If he is forced (my words) to sign with the North Stars, and not the Thunder, then the system fails. It should be about giving one team priority over players, it should be what the players want. From talking to his advisor, I can promise you that the player wants to play on the Thunder. If that option is taken away from him, and he must play for the North Star's because 'they have priority', then thats sad.

The GNML has not had a wide variety of success over the past few years. Most of the top players drafted have come from these AA travel teams. But, instead of that, we ensure that the GNML has top priority. If thats not politics, im not sure what is.

That said, everything that I have heard (from the coach to the advisor) say both top players will be playing with the travel teams.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Miller4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foober40 View Post
All players will be required to attend the Stars camp and they have first right on signing a player . I understand however that there are some issues regarding this ruling so I guess we'll have to wait and see where everybody ends up .
There would be some issues with that ruling, a lot of them.

As a hockey dad, you cannot dictate my son plays at a certain level. If I want my son to play with a travel team, then he should have that option. To take that option away from him, is one of the most selfish things I've seen in a while, and I've had two sons go through AAA in Ontario.

Honestly, open it up, don't let politics get in the way of development. We keep hearing from parents/coaches from up north that Kids don't get enough exposure. So Sudbury and the Soo set up a program to get those kids exposure, and you deny them that? One, that may be illegal, and two, the GNML is being hypocritical. How can I read about players 'not getting exposure', yet see politics and back room deals get in the way of that exposure that they complain they don't get?

Its sad when adults take opportunity away from 15 year old kids for self gain, its even sadder that those same adults then cry that their kids don't get enough exposure. Its one or its the other. The GNML has lost a lot of my respect, if that is what they are going to do.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Channer33

I already asked in the alliance forum so any promising goaltending prospects from the GTHL, OMHA, Ottawa or GNHL?

Old
08-17-2012, 10:55 AM
hockeyonice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channer33 View Post
I already asked in the alliance forum so any promising goaltending prospects from the GTHL, OMHA, Ottawa or GNHL?
i know a few from the omha specifically the scta halton Mcniven brampton Blacker hamilton Smith southern tier Schoeman Niagara north bowman

Old
08-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Channer33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyonice View Post
i know a few from the omha specifically the scta halton Mcniven brampton Blacker hamilton Smith southern tier Schoeman Niagara north bowman
Of these names who is projected to be drafted.

Thanks

Closed Thread