HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what should the offensive lines look like next season?

Old
08-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Hans Landaskog

vCash: 500
what should the offensive lines look like next season?

I was speculating on what the lines should look like next year, it's a bit tricky with having 5 RW and 3 LW, plus figuring out who should play with each of our centers. Here is what I settled on.

Landeskog - Duchene - PAP
Jones - Stastny - Hejduk
McGinn - O'Reilly - Downie
Mcleod - Mitchell - Kobasew

this lineup gives Duchene the opportunity to take over on offense for us and rebound, while taking it to the next level.

Despite McGinn playing great with Stastny, it makes most sense to move Jones to the Left wing and give Hejduk a chance to rebound playing with Stastny, who has shown to have solid chemestry with Hejduk. This allowed McGinn to slide in next to O'Reilly and Downie, effectively keeping that line similar to what it was with Landeskog. McGinn would still get plenty of opportunities to shoot the puck playing on that line.

thoughts?

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Why fix something that isn't broken?

And how will putting McGinn on Radar's line keep that line similar to the one with Landeskog on it, when the calling card of that line with Landeskog on it was suffocating defense?

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:34 AM
The Shermanator
Butts

vCash: 50
Keep Jones - Statsny - McGinn together and then I think it will be worth trying out some new lines for the rest. I'm all for keeping Lando and Radar together but I think it's also worth trying Lando out with Duchene just to see what happens.

The Shermanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:36 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Hejduk
Downie-Duchene-PAP

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Ceremony
There is Only You

vCash: 1299
Parenteau - Duchene - Downie
McGinn - Stastny - Jones
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Hejduk (assuming he looks like he should be there)
McLeod - Mitchell - Olver (though will be Kobasew)

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

McGinn - Stastny - Jones
Landeskog - Duchene - Parenteau
Downie - O'Reilly - Hejduk
Olver/McLeod - Mitchell - Kobascrew

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:22 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
I was speculating on what the lines should look like next year, it's a bit tricky with having 5 RW and 3 LW, plus figuring out who should play with each of our centers. Here is what I settled on.

Landeskog - Duchene - PAP
Jones - Stastny - Hejduk
McGinn - O'Reilly - Downie
Mcleod - Mitchell - Kobasew

this lineup gives Duchene the opportunity to take over on offense for us and rebound, while taking it to the next level.

Despite McGinn playing great with Stastny, it makes most sense to move Jones to the Left wing and give Hejduk a chance to rebound playing with Stastny, who has shown to have solid chemestry with Hejduk. This allowed McGinn to slide in next to O'Reilly and Downie, effectively keeping that line similar to what it was with Landeskog. McGinn would still get plenty of opportunities to shoot the puck playing on that line.

thoughts?
I'm not sure that it matters all that much, but I'd like to see the Avs put their three/four go-to-the-net physical wings on 3 separate lines, and make sure they don't ice a Parenteau-Duchene-Hejduk line, as that would get pushed all over the ice.

I also don't believe that we should read all that much into a couple of months' worth of chemistry between McGinn-Stastny or Downie-O'R, etc. See how it plays out in camp and early in the season and go from there.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Hejduk
Downie-Duchene-PAP
Eventually.

You have to remember this is SACCO we're talking about so he'll stick with the lineups he had at the end of last season (with PAP replacing Mueller) until it's absolutely certain that it's not working, then he'll wait another 10 games, then he'll make a change. (I was going to put a laughing smily if only it weren't true )

So you can expect :

Lando-O'Reilly-Downie
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Hejduk-Duchene-PAP
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew

for a while to start the season.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 0
There are basically two big problems. Finding something that works for Duchene and finding a spot for Hejduk. Doing this without breaking up Landeskog and O'Reilly will be even harder but those two deserve to play with each other and will be able to play against the other teams best players.

Duchene and PAP will probably play together and you can't have Hejduk there because that line would struggle defensively. You can't put Landeskog there because why would you put one of our most reliable two-way forwards on a line that you will give softer minutes and mostly offensive zone starts. The answer to me is McGinn.

The Hejduk problem is solved by him playing with Stastny and Jones. Not ideal but there isn't a great fit for Hejduk anymore. He didn't work out with O'Reilly and Landeskog, so this is where he has to play.

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
Jones - Stastny - Hejduk
McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau

Freudian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Adama0905

I'm still assuming that Lando and RoR stick together since it's pretty much the only good thing that Sacco did last year. Give Duchene McGinn and PAP or something, just don't mess up that combo because it would be stupid.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:26 AM
cgf

I want to see
McGinn-Staz-Jones
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Duke
PAP-Duchene-Downie

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Hans Landaskog

The problem I see is converting a RW to LW, Jones is the only one we know for sure can move to LW. The other issue is determining what Landeskog's peak would be playing with O'Reilly as opposed to Duchene.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

I got a question I don't know much abut McGinns stick handling abilities but can the guy make decent passes or is he like Jones?

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

I've always wanted to see a line of Duchene-O'Reilly-Landeskog.

Maybe if Matty starts the year off on the wrong foot, he can switch to the wing permanently.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

Maybe if Matty starts the year off on the wrong foot, he can switch to the wing permanently.
Talk about a young stud line. I like the looks of it. I really want Duchene playing center consistently though.

I like Freudian's line combo.

Tralfamadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

For some reason i feel dutchy is gonna have his best season to date with a ok start unlike usual

EDIT: BTW could someone tell me if McGinns a better passer then jones

Last edited by Landeskog The Viking: 08-13-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old
08-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskog The Viking View Post
For some reason i feel dutchy is gonna have his best season to date with a ok start unlike usual
Getting the ball rolling early is absolutely critical for Matt this year. An early slump would be devastating for his confidence.

Old
08-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BON IVER View Post
Getting the ball rolling early is absolutely critical for Matt this year. An early slump would be devastating for his confidence.
I agree i have a real gut feeling hes gonna have a good start something around 15 pts in his first 20 games hopefully finishing at a PPG

now could someone please tell me if McGinns a better passer then jones

Old
08-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

Quote:
I agree i have a real gut feeling hes gonna have a good start something around 15 pts in his first 20 games hopefully finishing at a PPG

Ya probably but not by much. Both are shooters first.

Old
08-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 0
Quote:

Perhaps slightly, but neither is a great playmaker. Parenteau is a very strong passer though.

Freudian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:32 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
There are basically two big problems. Finding something that works for Duchene and finding a spot for Hejduk. Doing this without breaking up Landeskog and O'Reilly will be even harder but those two deserve to play with each other and will be able to play against the other teams best players.

Duchene and PAP will probably play together and you can't have Hejduk there because that line would struggle defensively. You can't put Landeskog there because why would you put one of our most reliable two-way forwards on a line that you will give softer minutes and mostly offensive zone starts. The answer to me is McGinn.

The Hejduk problem is solved by him playing with Stastny and Jones. Not ideal but there isn't a great fit for Hejduk anymore. He didn't work out with O'Reilly and Landeskog, so this is where he has to play.

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
Jones - Stastny - Hejduk
McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau
Duchene's line is really going to be key for the Avs this season (and going forward). I can't help but worry if things don't start of smoothly, Sacco is going to start juggling lines again and kill any hope of line chemistry.

Hejduk is also another x-factor. Has he lost a step? Yes. But count me in as one of the people who believe he's got a lot more to offer than what he gave us last season.

The Avs bring a lot of question marks, but on paper, those lines should bring us goals and worry opponents every night.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

i think hejduk will be better this season about 50 pts he was doing well last season till he wore the C this year i think he'll be ready 20\30 is my guess

Old
08-13-2012, 01:48 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
i think hejduk will be better this season about 50 pts he was doing well last season till he wore the C this year i think he'll be ready 20\30 is my guess
It'll be interesting to see how close he can get to 30 goals. He hasn't hit that mark since the 06-07 season (came very close twice afterwards though).

If he can stay healthy and embrace the "C" (lol), I can see him rebounding with a 20+ goal season. Anything more is

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
Duchene's line is really going to be key for the Avs this season (and going forward). I can't help but worry if things don't start of smoothly, Sacco is going to start juggling lines again and kill any hope of line chemistry.

Hejduk is also another x-factor. Has he lost a step? Yes. But count me in as one of the people who believe he's got a lot more to offer than what he gave us last season.

The Avs bring a lot of question marks, but on paper, those lines should bring us goals and worry opponents every night.
Well Hejduk definitely has the potential to score 20 again. Let's see a hypothetical total

McGinn (20) - Stastny (20) - Jones (25)
Landeskog (25) - O'Reilly (20) - Downie (20)
Paranteau (20?) - Duchene (30 Hopefully) - Hejduk (20?)
Kobasew (7) - Mitchell (5) - Olver (10)

That gives us a total of 222 goals from our forwards.

Using the same goal totals from the backend last year we have an overall total of 248. That's 40 more then last year. That would also have placed us 4th in GF last year.

4th in GF does seem unrealistic but I feel as though I have been somewhat conservative with my goal totals. No reason why we can't finish in the top 10 for GF next season.

Old
08-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Cynthesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Eventually.

You have to remember this is SACCO we're talking about so he'll stick with the lineups he had at the end of last season (with PAP replacing Mueller) until it's absolutely certain that it's not working, then he'll wait another 10 games, then he'll make a change. (I was going to put a laughing smily if only it weren't true )

So you can expect :

Lando-O'Reilly-Downie
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Hejduk-Duchene-PAP
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew

for a while to start the season.
Certainly you're not talking about Joe Sacco of the Avalanche right? Because he is known for line juggling on a shift by shift basis, not every ten games...

I think it is inevitable that Lando will end up next to Duchene. I love watching Lando and RoR together, but that won't last forever. RoR is not on Lando's level. Lando is our most talented forward, and his ability to put the puck in the net is exactly what is needed on Duchene's line. Once these two get on a roll together, they won't be broken up. I think we will be watching them on a line together for many years. That being said I think the lines will end up similar to:

Landeskog - Duchene - Parenteau
McGinn - Stastny - Jones
Hejduk - O'Reilly - Downie

Cynthesis is offline   Reply With Quote