HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ridiculous Gear Thread, Part 2

Old
08-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
How many people are going to post some variation of "bloo bloo bloo I'm morally superior because I don't care what people are wearing huehuehuehue" in this thread? It's really irritating.

So because someone breaks your $200 stick you're going to slash his tires nightly? I'd rather be a guy that chuckles when someone's wearing something ridiculous than a guy that goes around slashing tires to exact revenge. Give me a break, sunshine.
Uh, if someone intentionally stepped on my stick and broke it, I would first beat the crap out of him and either get him to buy me a new one or harass him financially.

Fortunately, I doubt that would ever happen at the rink I play at.

Back OT: I've actually never been chirped in my 2 years of playing. I'm somewhat of a beginner, but I can skate decently and move the puck well enough. I'm sure if I wore something ridiculous someone might say something... but the most outlandish thing I wear is a pair of plain white socks with my team's black jersey. I like the way white socks look with a black jersey. Nobody has ever said anything about them.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:29 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Uh, if someone intentionally stepped on my stick and broke it, I would first beat the crap out of him and either get him to buy me a new one or harass him financially.

Back OT: I've actually never been chirped in my 2 years of playing. I'm somewhat of a beginner, but I can skate decently and move the puck well enough. I'm sure if I wore something ridiculous someone might say something... but the most outlandish thing I wear is a pair of plain white socks with my team's black jersey. I like the way white socks look with a black jersey. Nobody has ever said anything about them.
I tend to try to resolve problems without escalating the situation like a meathead. 200 bucks isn't worth being arrested for battery.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Libérée, Délivrée

vCash: 400
On Friday at an open hockey session I saw this guy with orange stick tape, orange socks, and black and orange Winnwell gloves. I thought it looked kind of funny, but I didn't say anything to him.

Maybe he played for the Netherlands internationally? Lol.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Probably isn't a ridiculous gear, but I kinda want to buy a pair of new gloves with retro designs and colouring.

Something with this colour. Been digging around but couldn't find one.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:28 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Looks for the habs centennial gloves. There's usually always a couple pairs floating around on the web.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
well one time at a rink out here, a buncha guys didn't recognize this guy who showed up for lunch shinny

he puts on all this red wings pratice regulia... jersey, helmet, pants, gloves and had a couple pro-stock sticks with Kolanos on it...

well it was actually Krys (I knew it was him, as he skates at 2 other rinks I frequent) but the other guys didn't and were thinking about chirping him until they saw him out there and he was hitting top corner on the tutor 8/10 times from the blue line
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Kolanos never played for the Red Wings though did he?
He played for Grand Rapids in the A so I assume he was Red Wings property and would have been at camp and gotten all the gear?

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:47 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
upside down socks, you know the bell bottom look.............

also dudes who wrap 72" of skate lace around their shinpads, dude dont be so cheap go get a $3 roll of sock tape.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
upside down socks, you know the bell bottom look.............

also dudes who wrap 72" of skate lace around their shinpads, dude dont be so cheap go get a $3 roll of sock tape.
I use velcro straps to wrap up my shin pads. It's reusable, saves money and environmental friendly. Laces serves the same function, just looks a bit distraction I suppose.

Old
08-13-2012, 12:27 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I don't particularly have anything against anyone wearing gear of their choice. There have been pickup games where I've worn my inline girdle with a pair of warm ups over the shins and girdle. No one says anything, and I've even had some curiosity questions. I prefer my normal gear, but I have been in situations where I have had to cut back on the bulk size of the gear back down to a small duffel.

The only players that have ever caused me to want to chirp them was the guy that show up in decrepit gear that is falling apart. One guy that showed up in pickup had the following;
- Shin pads with the padding falling off and the knee having to be taped on.
- $100 elbows
- Cooper helmet with loose padding which looked like it was from the 1970s, no cage
- No cup
- no pants
- sweats which he duct taped down to his shins
- padded work gloves.
- $200 dollar composite stick
- Fleet Farm brand skates
- long sleeve t-shirt for his "jersey"

If everything else was equal, I'd probably just say this guy was either unable to afford even the basic new gear or just picking up the spare gear from friends. It was the elbows and stick which sunk it for me as well as seeing what car he got out of in the parking lot.

The fact that he gets out there and acts like he is god's gift... In a beginner's pick up game?

That is what got him chirped by other players. That is what got him targeted by other players. That is also what got him targeted by his own players randomly and "accidentally" hitting him in the thighs with passes...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:43 PM
29Potvins

Has anyone here mentioned or played with people who wear sweatpants instead of socks? I don't think I've ever seen them getting chirped, but they just look strange to me.

^ haha, should have refreshed this page before I replied.

Also, I've played stick and puck with a guy who wore skates that he spray-painted orange, an orange tuque, skinny jeans and a Dali mustache.. damn hipster. He could skate though

Last edited by 29Potvins: 08-13-2012 at 12:50 PM.
29Potvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:50 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
Has anyone here mentioned or played with people who wear sweatpants instead of socks? I don't think I've ever seen them getting chirped, but they just look strange to me.

I've used warm up pants over my inline girdle and shins, but never sweat pants... Honestly, after you put on the jersey, it's difficult to even tell the difference. One guy comes out to pick up with an either or set up and i never notice which one he brought out until about halfway through the game.

For him, it depends on if he rode a motorcycle to the game or his truck. If motorcycle, then small bag with inline girdle/sweats. If truck, full gear.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:11 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
How many people are going to post some variation of "bloo bloo bloo I'm morally superior because I don't care what people are wearing huehuehuehue" in this thread? It's really irritating.
While I won't say I don't care what other players are wearing. I don't care what Skaters are wearing.

I'm a goalie. My only concern is me and that other fat guy 200ft away.

Especially when you get the guys wearing the old spc gigantor gloves and pads.

(granted, my C/A is a little too big for my body. Though still NHL Spec. )

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post

Also, I've played stick and puck with a guy who wore skates that he spray-painted orange, an orange tuque, skinny jeans and a Dali mustache.. damn hipster. He could skate though
Lol that was me. I have never played competitve hockey and am just getting into it at 24 y/o. But I didn't buy socks at the time of a pickup game and just wore sweatpants over my pads lol. Looked like a idiot, sweat my ass off and the only thing anyone said to me was a 16 year old kid who asked if I was hot yet when all I did was skate across the rink to the bench. Lol, everyone was there for fun and not much chirping was going on anyways but you just brining it up made me laugh.

FYI I now own socks haha

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:20 PM
GrafSk8r12

Thinking of dusting off these beauties and using them in some beer league games

GrafSk8r12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

Quote:
Mandatory

And enjoy your nice long suspension if you ever do that

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:

I'm not exactly sure how you would go about doing this. What exactly does it mean to 'harass him financially?'

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:56 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Probably isn't a ridiculous gear, but I kinda want to buy a pair of new gloves with retro designs and colouring.

I just threw away an old pair something like that! Early 70's Winwells...

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:00 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I'm not exactly sure how you would go about doing this. What exactly does it mean to 'harass him financially?'
Maybe throw nickels at him? It might not hurt much but it would get irritating...

Old
08-13-2012, 10:40 PM
flyers10

Quote:

Here you go. http://www.hockeytron.com/drlesehogl.html#.UCnIcaPNltM

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:27 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrafSk8r12 View Post
Thinking of dusting off these beauties and using them in some beer league games

oh man, im surprised they are still in one piece

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:31 AM
29Potvins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I've used warm up pants over my inline girdle and shins, but never sweat pants... Honestly, after you put on the jersey, it's difficult to even tell the difference. One guy comes out to pick up with an either or set up and i never notice which one he brought out until about halfway through the game.

For him, it depends on if he rode a motorcycle to the game or his truck. If motorcycle, then small bag with inline girdle/sweats. If truck, full gear.
Yeah, I mean I didn't feel like I had to make comments to them about it haha, but I always just thought "wouldn't that wreck your sweats?" At the time I thought he was wearing hockey pants over the sweats, which made he thought he'd forgotten to pack his socks haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
Lol that was me. I have never played competitve hockey and am just getting into it at 24 y/o. But I didn't buy socks at the time of a pickup game and just wore sweatpants over my pads lol. Looked like a idiot, sweat my ass off and the only thing anyone said to me was a 16 year old kid who asked if I was hot yet when all I did was skate across the rink to the bench. Lol, everyone was there for fun and not much chirping was going on anyways but you just brining it up made me laugh.

FYI I now own socks haha
Hah, how hot was it anyway? I sweat pretty bad just wearing sweatpants and walking.. can't imagine skating in them :S I mean at the end of the day it doesn't matter if the refs don't say anything about it.

29Potvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When I first started playing as an adult, I thought I'd probably just use inline pants or something because the idea of playing in breezers and socks seemed silly. After a few skates it never occurred to me again.

Sometimes I do think it's a silly look, large baggy pants and socks that go up to your crotch. But the newer slimmer gear looks better.

There was actually a pickup game I was part of for a while with a bunch of really good players, guys who played some college or US juniors, and a lot of them worse sweats or ratty old gear. I think for them it was the less you tried to look like a hockey player, the better you were. Pre-hipster hockey fashion? These guys also never used nice sticks either and no cheap shots or problems. Just couldn't hang with them as I was a D player at the time and they were high B.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
oh man, im surprised they are still in one piece
I need to post the picture of my 1974 Bauer Special Pro 99's if you think those look old! lol..

Old
08-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
Thanks! They don't have my size though

Old
08-15-2012, 11:32 PM
flyers10

Quote:
Thanks! They don't have my size though
Really? They have the copper in 13,14,15. You wear a 12" glove?

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote