HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

J.S. Giguere signs extension with Avalanche [$1.5M, 1 year]

Old
08-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Che vy Teemuchuk

vCash: 500
Glad to hear. I'm loving the Avs. Colorado vs. Winnipeg final in 2014! I can dream.

Che vy Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:05 PM
RECsGuy*

Could see Big Pads becoming Colorado's #1 next season. Varlamov struggled for much of last season and only excelled down the stretch (20 games) against a weak schedule (only 7 playoff teams in that stretch, going 2-5 in those contests). Varlamov has yet to play well over an entire season.

Last edited by RECsGuy*: 08-13-2012 at 12:10 PM.
RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:21 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Could see Big Pads becoming Colorado's #1 next season. Varlamov struggled for much of last season and only excelled down the stretch (20 games) against a weak schedule (only 7 playoff teams in that stretch, going 2-5 in those contests). Varlamov has yet to play well over an entire season.

And ignorance is bliss right? Against a weak schedule? Including teams like NY & NJ? Or teams that were fighting for a playoff spot? They didn't have anything close to a weak schedule down the stretch. It's a pretty weak argument to look at a 20 game stretch. 10 of those final 20 games you speak of were against teams already in the playoff picture or fighting to get in and on the bubble. Which he was .500 against those teams total. The actual playoff picture changed daily... You also realize that 8 of his 24 losses were games where he let in 2 goals or less right? Two of those losses he only let in one goal as well. Our teams offense was nothing short of anemic for most of the season. With that being said he still held a .500 or better win/loss record. I wouldn't even begin to put those games or the season completely on his shoulders.

I guess being young or losing a plane full of your closest friends doesn't effect a player either. Young goalies aren't known for inconsistency and some growing pains are they?

Varlamov also didn't back stop Russia to Gold at the Worlds either? And don't give me the weak tournament argument... If anything playing on larger ice and with weaker defense, scoring is easier and goal-tending is more difficult.

Giguere was a good signing but it wasn't even close to an indication that they expect Varlamov to struggle. Yes Colorado's post season chances probably rest on Varlamov being more consistent over the entire season along with other factors that normally come into play when you have one of the youngest cores/teams in the league.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 08-13-2012 at 12:47 PM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:43 PM
VikingAv
Go Sioux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusic View Post
Imagine if we had just signed him to a $5 mill deal instead of this low amount, we would have spent more of the total cap allowed, ergo we would have won more games. Damn it Sherm...

Other than that, I like it!

VikingAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:46 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingAv View Post
Imagine if we had just signed him to a $5 mill deal instead of this low amount, we would have spent more of the total cap allowed, ergo we would have won more games. Damn it Sherm...

Other than that, I like it!
That sounds like a certain Leaf's fans logic that we have been dealing with lately. Very hard to argue with... (Especially when it makes no sense.)

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:53 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskog View Post
One more year of RECSguy!
Quote:
yup.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:30 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskog View Post
One more year of RECSguy!

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:36 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
God help us!

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Carlzner

Looks like another team still not confident in Varly's starting abilities.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:48 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to you, but how does extending a backup goaltender prove a lack of confidence in the starter
s ability?

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Ceremony
I'm the Daddy

vCash: 4263
Quote:
Not sure if serious...

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Not sure if serious...
Of course he's serious, he's Braden Carlzner.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Quote:
Not sure if serious...
It's Braden Carlzner, it doesn't even matter. The way Neuvirth and Vokoun played last year, I'd be willing to bet more than a few caps fans were remembering giving up Varlamov.

But as far as this chump is concerned Holtby is a ticking Vezina time-bomb, while Varlamov will get injured every season and make us rue the trade with his lackluster play

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Why are we talking about Varlamov and Holtby in a Giguere extension thread?

Still great deal for us.
I guess Jiggy wanted some assurance for the family which is why there is a NMC as well.
Don't mind the NMC at all for him.
If he stays above 0.900 save% and continues to be a good veteran presence and a motivator and mentor this is a very good deal, and hopefully he'll stay here in Denver with the organization after the contract as well.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Our team really has become an old boys club so to speak. There weren't any other backups of use available this yr at least but I dunno about next.
JS is the best backup for Varly. They have a good relationship and they play the exact opposite styles. Under JS, varly has calmed down a bit from his happy feet style and became much much better positionally. The avs and Varly couldn't ask for a better backup and mentor.

Quote:
I'm not sure how many games you watched the avs this year but you couldn't be more wrong. Varly did have an up and down season( the avs as whole did as well) but he didn't just excell down the stretch with 20 games. In October he had a 0.924% and 2.44 Gaa.

Quote:
How's Yakupov?

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:20 PM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 1037
Quote:
Not sure if serious...
With the little laughing face next to his post, I am going to guess he is serious. Like, super cereal. Just like me.

roboninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:55 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Of course he's serious, he's Braden Carlzner.
after him and RECsGuy posting in this thread, all we need now is FilthyNote to show up and talk about how awful EJ is

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
after him and RECsGuy posting in this thread, all we need now is FilthyNote to show up and talk about how awful EJ is
And the Holy Trinity would be complete once again.

Old
08-13-2012, 03:05 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Seems like a good deal for everyone involved.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

i dont get it.

he's 35, 36 before this contract goes into effect. Last year was his best season in five years, so i dont buy that he's going to be as good next year.

why not wait until midway through the season to see how he's playing and what your other options may be?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Ceremony
I'm the Daddy

vCash: 4263
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i dont get it.

he's 35, 36 before this contract goes into effect. Last year was his best season in five years, so i dont buy that he's going to be as good next year.

why not wait until midway through the season to see how he's playing and what your other options may be?
Hopefully it's more of a long-term move to keep him here as goalie coach beyond that. A bit of goodwill and faith in him now could be paid back down the road, hopefully.

His age is a bit worrying but I'd imagine the team has faith he can still play then too.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
i dont get it.

His last season was his best in few years because he finally had a groin surgery to remove scar tissue and he said it helped him a lot.

Old
08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
DatsyukOwns
Hero

Quote:
i dont get it.

He can still be a good backup, he is also a great mentor for Varly like others have stated in this thread. It also gives our goalie prospects a couple years.

DatsyukOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
i dont get it.

All the young guys in our system are still at least two years away, so I'm going to venture a guess management figured keeping some consistency in net for once in our organization's history aside from the Great Peter Budaj would be a bit beneficial, especially to our young #1 that likely enjoys Giggy's mentoring.

Overall it's a bit of a strange decision this early, but it's nothing too earthshattering.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukOwns View Post
He can still be a good backup, he is also a great mentor for Varly like others have stated in this thread. It also gives our goalie prospects a couple years.
Also Varly should be able to play 65-75 games in two years, so Jiggy would mostly be relied upon mentoring and motivating the team with his veteran presence.

And yes, I also believe this is to entice him to stay here also after his playing career is over.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote