HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wade Redden

Old
08-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
if the rangers can find a way with the new CBA to keep Redden in CT and not using their amnesty on him, i think it would be a positive. I'd rather hold onto it in case of a situation where a question mark for the team like Asham does something stupid and gets himself suspended.
Are we talking about Arron Asham? He was suspended for the first time this past season? He who as many suspensions on his resume as Shane Doan?

C'mon now people. We're really starting to get carried away with the things we throw out there about the signings we don't like.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:25 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

dog days of summer

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
if the rangers can find a way with the new CBA to keep Redden in CT and not using their amnesty on him, i think it would be a positive. I'd rather hold onto it in case of a situation where a question mark for the team like Asham does something stupid and gets himself suspended.
And what would Redden be used for if Asham was suspended? Walking his dog? Isn't it bad enough they have to pay him $6 million a year to ride a minor league bus?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:33 AM
district9

everybody in the organization has talked about what a good player Redden has been for the Whale. he's been a mentor for our young defensemen and has been part of why the guys we've developed down there have turned out so well.

asham isn't the only person i would talk about needing to get the amnesty, i'm just saying you would be better off saving it if you can just in case you need it down the line. Wade Redden is much more valuable to this team than just being an AHL defenseman

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:44 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
He has value as a leader and mentor for the kids in Hartford, but he has a detrimental effect on the team with his summer cap hit. I think the negatives far outweigh the positives and have zero doubt that he'll be our amnesty buyout.

He's not going to get an NHL deal from anyone. Buy him out and then offer him a job behind the bench if he's that beneficial to the young defensemen.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:49 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
everybody in the organization has talked about what a good player Redden has been for the Whale. he's been a mentor for our young defensemen and has been part of why the guys we've developed down there have turned out so well.

asham isn't the only person i would talk about needing to get the amnesty, i'm just saying you would be better off saving it if you can just in case you need it down the line. Wade Redden is much more valuable to this team than just being an AHL defenseman
I think the Rangers will develop their d-men just fine without Redden. People forget about Schoenfeld. I would wager that Schoeny's contributions to the development process of our d-men factors a little larger.

Arron Asham is a decent player. He's not as well rounded though as some of our bottom 6 players the last few years. He's not a headcase though--nor a locker room cancer. He sticks up for his teammates and will take on bigger players. He's a no nonsense type. He will put a few pucks in the net. Given space he has a bomb of a slapshot. For $1 mil per--it doesn't make sense using an amnesty buyout on a player you just signed. A comparable player from recent Rangers history would be Matt Barnaby--except Asham doesn't clown around.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Mason530

Say same CBA rules stay, that means there is no cash to change hand, NYR would have to take back a bad contract at least $3 million cap hit per year. Who is out there with a bad $3~4 million per year of contract and you still want it?

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:11 PM
alpine4life

now that the cap have gone up to 70M, could the NYR call back Redden to play in the NHL (6/7 DMan)? Not sure if he'S better than Sauer/Bickel at this point cause I didnt see his gameplay in the AHL

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
now that the cap have gone up to 70M, could the NYR call back Redden to play in the NHL (6/7 DMan)? Not sure if he'S better than Sauer/Bickel at this point cause I didnt see his gameplay in the AHL
Why do people keep saying this? He's NOT playing for the rangers in the NHL ever again.

Has anyone who says this watched him play or even looked at his stat line? He's a minus player in the AHL! He got 42 points, almost all of those even strength I believe (I'm not sure if I'm looking at the AHL's stats correctly or not), and for a defenseman to have that many points and still be minus means he's probably crap defensively. I haven't watched any of his games, but people who have say he looks slow out there.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Here's his stat line this year:

201112 Connecticut Whale AHL 49 4 16 20 -8

So...he was injured, got some points, looked slow, and was a minus. And a 6.5 hit?

he's not playing in the NHL again.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:46 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post

So...he was injured, got some points, looked slow, and was a minus. And a 6.5 hit?

fair enough...

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post

oh, i looked at 10-11's stat line by mistake..

yeah, he's declined even further in 11-12

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:32 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Yeah, Redden will never play in the NHL ever again, barring him finding an amazing conditioning program and working on his skating.

I'm fine with him being what he is though. As long as his cap hit doesn't hinder the Rangers during the season (I know he counts against the offseason limit) I don't mind as long as he keeps tutoring the young defenders well and leads the Whale.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:35 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
trade him to Philly instead
Good idea!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Yeah, Redden will never play in the NHL ever again, barring him finding an amazing conditioning program and working on his skating.

I'm fine with him being what he is though. As long as his cap hit doesn't hinder the Rangers during the season (I know he counts against the offseason limit) I don't mind as long as he keeps tutoring the young defenders well and leads the Whale.
Redden could be in NHL this year but not with us....

I don't think the new CBA will allow burying of contracts in minor leagues from what I have read and it seems all but certain to have a one time amnesty on a bad contract built in the way the NBA CBA did.
Redden will be bought out under new rules and sign with Isles.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:59 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
Redden could be in NHL this year but not with us....

I don't think the new CBA will allow burying of contracts in minor leagues from what I have read and it seems all but certain to have a one time amnesty on a bad contract built in the way the NBA CBA did.
Redden will be bought out under new rules and sign with Isles.
Now I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that I watch every Whale game, but from what I've seen and what other posters on here who have seen him play have said he looks slow even at the AHL level. There's a big step up from the AHL to the NHL and Redden just won't be able to hack it here. I don't see a team that could even use his services. A number 6-7 defenseman at 3.325 million under re-entry waivers? Because no team is going to pay 6.65 million for him off of regular waivers lol.

He's got it made though, he plays at a lesser level of competition and basically locked in for 6.65 mill a year doing so. He'll ride this contract out until retirement. Or he might go play overseas afterwards.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:05 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Anyone who watched him in his final NHL season would realize that he's long past NHL caliber at this point.
i come in peace. just saw the thread title on the main board and clicked it to check it out. That said, i completely disagree with this. He's not 5 million dollar NHL Caliber, but he'd be fine on most teams as a bottom pair guy. The only reason hes been buried in the A is bc of the contract, which sucks for him when a guy like Gomez is still playing. I actually think Redden is more of an NHLer than Scotty.

That said, hope y'all are enjoying the offseason and i know ALL of us fans are hoping the season starts on time in October. Be good fellas

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
i come in peace. just saw the thread title on the main board and clicked it to check it out. That said, i completely disagree with this. He's not 5 million dollar NHL Caliber, but he'd be fine on most teams as a bottom pair guy. The only reason hes been buried in the A is bc of the contract, which sucks for him when a guy like Gomez is still playing. I actually think Redden is more of an NHLer than Scotty.

That said, hope y'all are enjoying the offseason and i know ALL of us fans are hoping the season starts on time in October. Be good fellas
He was worthless when he left and he has to be worse now. Enough of this already.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Fanned On It

Can someone explain to be (briefly) what Wayne Redden's career looked like? PM or post it on here, whatever. I never heard the whole story. Was he decent at one point and we signed him and then he just started sucking?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:17 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Now I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that I watch every Whale game, but from what I've seen and what other posters on here who have seen him play have said he looks slow even at the AHL level. There's a big step up from the AHL to the NHL and Redden just won't be able to hack it here. I don't see a team that could even use his services. A number 6-7 defenseman at 3.325 million under re-entry waivers? Because no team is going to pay 6.65 million for him off of regular waivers lol.
I probably watched 50% of the games last season and Redden was far worse than the year before. He was outplayed by guys like Bickel and Parlett and looked nowhere near good enough to play in the NHL.

I'd like him to get to 1000, but he's just not good enough, not even as 6/7th D on a bottom feeder.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:37 AM
NYR Viper

He was not even a top-pairing d-man in Hartford last year most of the time. Good guy, good leader, but his play has deteriorated. I am glad he gets to get paid well to take care of himself and his family. I would rather Reds have it then Dolan.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:56 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Can someone explain to be (briefly) what Wayne Redden's career looked like? PM or post it on here, whatever. I never heard the whole story. Was he decent at one point and we signed him and then he just started sucking?
He broke into the league with Ottawa, and in a few seasons established himself as one of the top two-way defenseman in the game. He hit, played defense, scored goals, etc. He was a great player. At one point Ottawa had to choose between keeping him or Zdeno Chara, and they chose Wade! Then his play started to slip.

People speculated--was his play slipping because of the death of his mother? Off-ice issues? Did he just need a change of scenery? He hit free agency and signed a massive contract with us. His first season was a career worst for him, and his second season was an absolute train wreck. The following year he was waived and sent to Hartford. That has been it for him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He broke into the league with Ottawa, and in a few seasons established himself as one of the top two-way defenseman in the game. He hit, played defense, scored goals, etc. He was a great player. At one point Ottawa had to choose between keeping him or Zdeno Chara, and they chose Wade! Then his play started to slip.

People speculated--was his play slipping because of the death of his mother? Off-ice issues? Did he just need a change of scenery? He hit free agency and signed a massive contract with us. His first season was a career worst for him, and his second season was an absolute train wreck. The following year he was waived and sent to Hartford. That has been it for him.
Yup, this basically sums its all up. Something happened around the time Ottawa resigned over Chara. Ottawa was going to give the contract to the player that signed before July 1st, and on a shorter term they said. Obviously a big mistake on their end, just as much as it was here. Ottawa fans have had strongly held views as off-ice issues being the main factor in the decline. On the ice he went from being a ice in his veins poor man's Lidstrom to a player that you just didn't want to see out there. Great guy and teammate from all accounts.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:24 PM
sgupca

Redden is a family friend here in Lloydminster. He's gone through some close personal/family issues over the last few years. His kids are starting to grow up now and he seems content in the AHL (little pressure and still taking home a nice pay)

He knows he wont be back in the NHL and will most likely retire when this contract is expired.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
dog days of summer
Saw the thread title. Wondered why we were still discussing Wade freaking Redden. But the above explained everything.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote