HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

GMHL - What is this league's deal?

Old
06-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Miller4Gold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
Nevermind did my own research...Clint Windsor and Nikita Jevpolovs (who was the player in question, the press release stated he was a Bruins, Blues prospect. Hes not a Bruins prospect hasn't been invited to their development camp and unsure if hes been invited to the Blues development camp.) were on CSB list but saw no one one who played DI.
Windsor only played there for a cup of coffee. Played that year with the Dundas Blues Jr. C, and then played 3-4 games in the GMHL. If he is the prime example of GMHL development, then that's embarrassing.

Miller4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:51 AM
hockeytown12

i know someone who is going to this league next year, he's all about it, bragging and stuff. i should show him this forum..

hockeytown12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:38 AM
HC Lewis

It really depends which team he goes to. Where is he going?

HC Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:35 PM
hockeytown12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Lewis View Post
It really depends which team he goes to. Where is he going?
muskoka shield or somthing

Old
07-02-2012, 01:12 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehockey1993 View Post
i know someone who is going to this league next year, he's all about it, bragging and stuff. i should show him this forum..
You should

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:17 PM
HC Lewis

shield are a good organization.

i would rank teams by what they offer and how they treat their players as follows:

1- Temiscaming Titans
2- Muskoka Shield
3- Bradford Rattlers
4- Mattawa Voyageurs

Don't waste your time with anyone else!

Old
07-05-2012, 10:45 AM
hockeytown12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Lewis View Post
shield are a good organization.

i would rank teams by what they offer and how they treat their players as follows:

1- Temiscaming Titans
2- Muskoka Shield
3- Bradford Rattlers
4- Mattawa Voyageurs

Don't waste your time with anyone else!
by good organization do you mean moves players to college, major junior? free to play? free equipment? good fan following?

Old
07-06-2012, 07:02 AM
HC Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehockey1993 View Post
by good organization do you mean moves players to college, major junior? free to play? free equipment? good fan following?
They have moved some players on, but mostly to higher levels of junior. The GMHL doesn't send too many players to school, but it is a good alternative for some midget aged kids looking to develop against biggest, stronger opponents.

Titans went 38-3-1 last season with a relatively young team. A lot of those players are moving on to tier 2 junior hockey leagues such as the AJHL, MJHL, CCHL and NOJHL. Check out some of their promotional videos on youtube.

In the GMHL, there isn't a free place to play.

Old
07-09-2012, 05:17 PM
hockeyman333

seems like a decent list of alumni

63 going to NCAA since 2008 doesn't seem that bad, does it?

hockeyman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:36 PM
walker33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman333 View Post

you should check to see who actually went. These players are few and far between half the kids who committ never end up going in all seriousness. I know a lot of guys who have played in this league and they were probably the 2 best players in this league last year. They were not forced or told to go to any kind of school while playing on the team. The coach had 0 coaching experience and was about the same age as half the players on a team.

If i was a person wanting to help develope my son...this is the one league i would stay far away from due to all the conflicts. Would you want to take an 18 hour bus ride from say algoma to deseronto? i dont think so. Not to mention the mass amounts of teams who fold year in and year out. The caliber is definitly a midget level but not AAA because midget AAA teams would smash these teams even though the are primarily made up of 20-21 year olds. just not the greatest league but probably the greatest money grab.

If you want to see what this league is all about the google the Bob Mckowan interview with Bob Russel. Russel cant give a stretch answer and keeps back tracking it is quite funny. If you are confident in your brand then show it.

terrible hockey, terribly ran, scam artist stealing from hockey hungry kids who want the jr lifestyle.

walker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:50 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman333 View Post

To have 63 going to Ncaa on paper may seem good the thing is a good number have gone to division 3 plus d2 if you break it down not a ton have gone to d1 is that good its ok nothing to get excited about.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:02 AM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
To have 63 going to Ncaa on paper may seem good the thing is a good number have gone to division 3 plus d2 if you break it down not a ton have gone to d1 is that good its ok nothing to get excited about.
Also, consider where many of those players come from and the fact that they are not able to play in other junior leagues. How many North American players have they graduated to school or higher levels?

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Hockeypop
Rookie User

I just came across this forum and registered specifically to speak about the GMHL. I've read every comment on this thread and find myself agreeing with much said and disagreeing with much said. And I've had 4 years experience with the GMHL.

Please accept that opportunities to play Junior A hockey are few and far between for non-Canadian players. There is very little real Junior A hockey in the US. The EJHL and maybe the AJHL qualify. The GMHL provides an opportunity for many non-Canadian players to play at the Junior A level. The top several teams in the GMHL can compete with Junior A teams in any Junior A league that I know of.

There are some very fine organizations in the GMHL and there are others that need to stablize and improve. The cost to play and live for a season is going to be a minimum of about $8,000 and can go as high as nearly $20,000. I know of no teams in the League that provide equipment (perhaps a few provide a helmet). The GMHL is no different than any other league in this respect...a dedicated, self-motivated player with talent can thrive there. Players who require constant supervision and have priorities other than improving themselves will not.

One reason the GMHL has not moved many players to the next levels of hockey in past years is that, as a young league, its concentration, in my opinion, had to be on economic survival and quality improvement. However, the Commissioner, Bob Bernstein, who joined the League roughly a year and a half ago, has made player promotion a serious priority. The first real results are being seen now and I believe that there will be some major announcements shortly concerning GMHL players signing good professional contracts for the coming season and accepting scholarship offers at a number of US colleges and universities for this fall.

Moving to the next level, be it professional or collegiate hockey, is not going to happen for a majority of Junior A players in any league. For those who have the dedication, the discipline, the training, size, speed, talent, you-name-it, it can happen. From the GMHL or from the OPJHL or the EJHL or the AJHL or from a dozen other Junior A leagues in Canada. The best players in the GMHL are as good as the best Junior A players anywhere. The League is growing into a place for those players to move on from.

To the kid who said early in this thread that he is 20 years old and has a chance to play this season in the GMHL, I would say this. If you believe you will be one of the top couple of players in the League at your position, do it. Because, if you are, you will have an opportunity to continue to improve and, with League help, move to the next level, providing you have the qualities I listed above. The League, through the Commissioner's office, has the ability now to help move you forward.

Hockeypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Puckclektr

List of some players that have also been drafted to the NHL from the earlier stages of that league.
MArtin Gerber
Max Birbrier(pretty sure)
and Kiril Tulupov.
Darren Archibald is another player who is in the Canucks system.

Many of these players come from other countries where options are better over here. Many of these players are unknown to other junior A leauges.
But I tell you this. If you want to play hockey have a good time and play in a league that is slightly better. Than go ahead and play for another league. If you want to improve. Sign in this league. Living in Bradford I get to watch a lot of these practices and the odd games. Especially in the summer when the schools are running. This IMO is a better development league than OPJHL.

Don't know why BRadford has two teams now though? Only 28,000 people here

Puckclektr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:32 AM
gameon

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker33 View Post
. Would you want to take an 18 hour bus ride from say algoma to deseronto? i dont think so. .
Oh god walker, you need to get yourself up to speed. Neither team are in the league this year. Maybe it's a sign you should give up your little vendetta.. LOL

gameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:57 AM
walker33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckclektr View Post
List of some players that have also been drafted to the NHL from the earlier stages of that league.
MArtin Gerber
Max Birbrier(pretty sure)
and Kiril Tulupov.
Darren Archibald is another player who is in the Canucks system.

Many of these players come from other countries where options are better over here. Many of these players are unknown to other junior A leauges.
But I tell you this. If you want to play hockey have a good time and play in a league that is slightly better. Than go ahead and play for another league. If you want to improve. Sign in this league. Living in Bradford I get to watch a lot of these practices and the odd games. Especially in the summer when the schools are running. This IMO is a better development league than OPJHL.

Don't know why BRadford has two teams now though? Only 28,000 people here
Darren archibald trains out of my gym, he played one season there as a 15 year old and moved on to stoufville then barrier etc..so i wouldnt really put him on the alumni list.

I will stop my vendetta when they stop charging so much and stop calling it jr A

Old
08-13-2012, 11:00 AM
walker33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameon View Post
Oh god walker, you need to get yourself up to speed. Neither team are in the league this year. Maybe it's a sign you should give up your little vendetta.. LOL
and also how am i suppose to keep up teams fold here like i go through underwear.

Old
08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
gameon

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker33 View Post
and also how am i suppose to keep up teams fold here like i go through underwear.
For some obscure reason, you obviously care about the league. You post everywhere about it. Just surprised you're not up to speed, regardless of how many teams fold.

gameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Hockeypop
Rookie User

I have to respond to walker33...if you don't like what's on a particular channel on television, you have the freedom to switch to another channel. Similarly, if you don't like the GMHL, you might consider following another league.

You say that your two concerns are that they charge excessively to participate and that they "call themselves" Junior A (implying that they should not).

With respect to the cost of playing in the GMHL, it varies from team to team. More importantly, among the teams generally considered to be the top teams these days, the entire cost spectrum is covered, from among the lowest to among the highest. Throughout the history of the GMHL, Bradford and South Muskoka have probably been the two most stable, quality, programs. I would have included Elliot Lake in that group, but they have just moved to the NOJHL, which is geographically sensible for them to have done. The point is that South Muskoka and Bradford have substantially different charges for their team members and neither one has any trouble filling its roster with quality players.

Of course the GMHL is a Junior A League. As I said in a previous post, the top players in the GMHL are as good as the top players in any Junior A league that I know of and the top teams in the GMHL can compete with the top teams in any other Junior A league. No one has tried to (or can, in my opinion) refute those statements. So, of course the GMHL is a Junior A league.

More important than either of those two points, however, is this one...the GMHL provides opportunities for more good, young, hockey players to play Junior A hockey than would otherwise exist. That is a good thing. Some of those players move on, or will move on, to collegiate or professional hockey. That's also a good thing. Those that don't continue their playing careers, for whatever reasons, will, just like their counterparts in other Junior A leagues, go on with their lives richer for the experience of playing some of the most competitive amateur hockey in the world. And that's a good thing.

In short, the GMHL contributes. It doesn't detract.

Old
08-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypop View Post
I have to respond to walker33...if you don't like what's on a particular channel on television, you have the freedom to switch to another channel. Similarly, if you don't like the GMHL, you might consider following another league.

You say that your two concerns are that they charge excessively to participate and that they "call themselves" Junior A (implying that they should not).

With respect to the cost of playing in the GMHL, it varies from team to team. More importantly, among the teams generally considered to be the top teams these days, the entire cost spectrum is covered, from among the lowest to among the highest. Throughout the history of the GMHL, Bradford and South Muskoka have probably been the two most stable, quality, programs. I would have included Elliot Lake in that group, but they have just moved to the NOJHL, which is geographically sensible for them to have done. The point is that South Muskoka and Bradford have substantially different charges for their team members and neither one has any trouble filling its roster with quality players.

Of course the GMHL is a Junior A League. As I said in a previous post, the top players in the GMHL are as good as the top players in any Junior A league that I know of and the top teams in the GMHL can compete with the top teams in any other Junior A league. No one has tried to (or can, in my opinion) refute those statements. So, of course the GMHL is a Junior A league.

More important than either of those two points, however, is this one...the GMHL provides opportunities for more good, young, hockey players to play Junior A hockey than would otherwise exist. That is a good thing. Some of those players move on, or will move on, to collegiate or professional hockey. That's also a good thing. Those that don't continue their playing careers, for whatever reasons, will, just like their counterparts in other Junior A leagues, go on with their lives richer for the experience of playing some of the most competitive amateur hockey in the world. And that's a good thing.

In short, the GMHL contributes. It doesn't detract.
First of all I do agree there is a place for this league in hockey or it would not be in existence, however to say it has calibre of play equivalent to Junior A is just not the truth, the league is trying to sell itself like that but the reality is different. I have watched 8 to 10 games in this league and I would say it is more like Junior B, there is not the depth of talent/skill you see in Junior A.

Ottawa Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Hockeypop
Rookie User

To Ottawa Guy ---

Perhaps we can just agree to disagree on this one. I will grant you that the vast majority of the games I have attended over the last 4 years have been among the top teams only, so I am seeing the best that the GMHL has. I also see a number of AJHL (US Junior "A") games and how they get away with calling themselves Junior A escapes me. But, they do and few question it. I've also been exposed to the play in the NOJHL and haven't been impressed, but Junior A they are and Junior A they'll remain until they finally fold or merge. So, I think reasonable people can disagree on this point without either one being an idiot.

I'll also take this opportunity to re-emphasize somerthing I said in an earlier post. League Commissioner Bob Bernstein, who has been on the scene for about a year and a half at the most, has taken the point on moving well-developed GMHL players on to the next level...collegiate, professional, whatever. My understanding is that he is meeting with good success, that there is significant enthusiasm in both the professional and the collegiate hockey ranks for a number of GMHL players, and that some very impressive signings will be announced shortly.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

One of my teammates played in this league a few years back

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=44384

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:39 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
I just came across this forum and registered specifically to speak about the GMHL. I've read every comment on this thread and find myself agreeing with much said and disagreeing with much said. And I've had 4 years experience with the GMHL.

Please accept that opportunities to play Junior A hockey are few and far between for non-Canadian players. There is very little real Junior A hockey in the US. The EJHL and maybe the AJHL qualify. The GMHL provides an opportunity for many non-Canadian players to play at the Junior A level. The top several teams in the GMHL can compete with Junior A teams in any Junior A league that I know of.

There are some very fine organizations in the GMHL and there are others that need to stablize and improve. The cost to play and live for a season is going to be a minimum of about $8,000 and can go as high as nearly $20,000. I know of no teams in the League that provide equipment (perhaps a few provide a helmet). The GMHL is no different than any other league in this respect...a dedicated, self-motivated player with talent can thrive there. Players who require constant supervision and have priorities other than improving themselves will not.

One reason the GMHL has not moved many players to the next levels of hockey in past years is that, as a young league, its concentration, in my opinion, had to be on economic survival and quality improvement. However, the Commissioner, Bob Bernstein, who joined the League roughly a year and a half ago, has made player promotion a serious priority. The first real results are being seen now and I believe that there will be some major announcements shortly concerning GMHL players signing good professional contracts for the coming season and accepting scholarship offers at a number of US colleges and universities for this fall.

Moving to the next level, be it professional or collegiate hockey, is not going to happen for a majority of Junior A players in any league. For those who have the dedication, the discipline, the training, size, speed, talent, you-name-it, it can happen. From the GMHL or from the OPJHL or the EJHL or the AJHL or from a dozen other Junior A leagues in Canada. The best players in the GMHL are as good as the best Junior A players anywhere. The League is growing into a place for those players to move on from.

To the kid who said early in this thread that he is 20 years old and has a chance to play this season in the GMHL, I would say this. If you believe you will be one of the top couple of players in the League at your position, do it. Because, if you are, you will have an opportunity to continue to improve and, with League help, move to the next level, providing you have the qualities I listed above. The League, through the Commissioner's office, has the ability now to help move you forward.
USHL and NAHL are Junior A too

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Hockeypop
Rookie User

From the GMHL website this morning, 2 NCAA signings for GMHL players/alumni.

Travis White, who just ended an illustrious 4-year career in the GMHL with South Muskoka and Bradford, has signed with NCAA D-111 New England College beginning this fall. A very solid player at both ends of the ice, he will no doubt make a significant contribution the the hockey program at New England College. Details of his "deal" were not announced, and D-111 does not give athletic scholarships, but I'm sure the College did everything possible to encourage Travis to join their community.
Major congrats to Travis White.

Also, the GMHL announced today that former GMHL goaltender Spencer Bacon(Bradford, '08-'09 season) has signed with NCAA D-1 Mercyhurst College. Again, no details were disclosed, but at 6'5 and 200+ pounds, Spencer will no doubt strengthen the Mercyhurst program.

I understand that more signings are imminent and will be announced as they are confirmed.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:22 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
From the GMHL website this morning, 2 NCAA signings for GMHL players/alumni.

Travis White, who just ended an illustrious 4-year career in the GMHL with South Muskoka and Bradford, has signed with NCAA D-111 New England College beginning this fall. A very solid player at both ends of the ice, he will no doubt make a significant contribution the the hockey program at New England College. Details of his "deal" were not announced, and D-111 does not give athletic scholarships, but I'm sure the College did everything possible to encourage Travis to join their community.
Major congrats to Travis White.

Also, the GMHL announced today that former GMHL goaltender Spencer Bacon(Bradford, '08-'09 season) has signed with NCAA D-1 Mercyhurst College. Again, no details were disclosed, but at 6'5 and 200+ pounds, Spencer will no doubt strengthen the Mercyhurst program.

I understand that more signings are imminent and will be announced as they are confirmed.
Not sure the GMHL should be allowed to take credit for Bacon. As noted, he only played 1 season and that was 4 years ago.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote