HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will we keep O'Byrne?

View Poll Results: Will we keep O'Byrne?
Yes 32 72.73%
No, we'll trade him. 6 13.64%
No, we'll let him walk. 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
Will we keep O'Byrne?

Pretty simple question, do you see him being re-signed, traded or left unsigned into free agency?

I want to keep him, but I'm less and less confident he will remain with the club after the lengthy deals everyone else got.

Please don't get rid of Big Sexy, Sherman.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:10 PM
PAZ

vCash: 500
Either resigned or traded. Imo Sherman will try to keep him, be he also wouldn't hesitate shipping him out if the right deal came about.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:11 PM
GamingGiant

I think it will also have to do with how our prospects continue to develope.

I agree with the OP though. With the contacts that are on the books now I would have to say I don't think we will resign him.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:12 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Pretty simple question, do you see him being re-signed, traded or left unsigned into free agency?

I want to keep him, but I'm less and less confident he will remain with the club after the lengthy deals everyone else got.

Please don't get rid of Big Sexy, Sherman.
Unless he asks for something crazy (like Jeff Finger money) I'd love to see him get another contract here. He is a bit slower than I'd like but he plays his size and is defensively sound. A very solid third pairing guy who doesn't look lost with #4 minutes.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

I don't see why we would let him go or trade him. He's not some valuable trading chip, he's a pretty big part of our defense and he should be fairly cheap to retain.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:30 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I want to keep him and has been a very underrated player for us, but if there is a right deal for him, then i do not mind trading him.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I hope so. He's a very good on the third pair and on the PK.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

Keep him. Avs need him, seeing as he's our only NHL dman who's right handed thats not named Johnson.

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Mouse21*

if we get rid of him theres really no reason to watch this season.

every PK will be a goal. it was bad enough WITH mcclement and rob. without, wow.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:06 PM
CobraAcesS

They better keep him... Hes our only big/shutdown right handed NHL defender besides EJ. Barrie & Elliott are both offensive right handed defenders, which is also why I can't really see them both playing on the roster at the same time. Which ever one loses out will be the one traded in the not to distant future.

Gaunce will also probably be traded if he does not start forcing his way past any of the left handed shutdown guys on the roster as well. Especially if he starts to realize they are not going to give him any kind of real shot as it's looking right now.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Yipperfan
NWOBHM forever \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
if we get rid of him theres really no reason to watch this season.

every PK will be a goal. it was bad enough WITH mcclement and rob. without, wow.
? We where 12th in the league at 83% last year, pretty decent if you tell me... McClement was good and all but he will be replaced.

Yipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Drizzt1

Take grooming out of the equation, and the time it will take to get these guys to develop, I think long term, our core is:-

Johnson, Siemens, Wilson, Elliott, Barrie, Gaunce. I actually thought Rutkowski would be in that group to be honest though. Throw in one of O'Byrne, O'Brien for veteran experience and we should be ok, because there is enough choice there for one or two players to not live up to expectation, but us still remain strong from within.

I WOULD still love to see us bring in a quality puck moving defensemen.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
must.keep.him.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Avs44

Have to keep him.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Yipperfan
NWOBHM forever \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Take grooming out of the equation, and the time it will take to get these guys to develop, I think long term, our core is:-

Johnson, Siemens, Wilson, Elliott, Barrie, Gaunce. I actually thought Rutkowski would be in that group to be honest though. Throw in one of O'Byrne, O'Brien for veteran experience and we should be ok, because there is enough choice there for one or two players to not live up to expectation, but us still remain strong from within.

I WOULD still love to see us bring in a quality puck moving defensemen.
To me that's not a core. It's Johnson and five question marks. We have no way of telling what our core is going to be in lets say 3yr.

Yipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
I think it will also have to do with how our prospects continue to develope.

I agree with the OP though. With the contacts that are on the books now I would have to say I don't think we will resign him.
Why do you think so? It seems like management believes our current core of defensemen, which includes O'Byrne. They will try to keep him for sure.

(Personally I don't have faith on this defense, we need to get better, because it's terrible currently. Our top-pairing is just weak, we could use one top-pairing defenseman and one other top-4 defenseman.)

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Foppa2118

I hope they find a way to keep him, because he's very good at his job, is big and can fight, and will never command that much money.

Unfortunately, he's one of only three guys that I can see on the team that have any sort of value, and would open up a spot for an impact player the Avs want to bring in. There's an outside chance maybe McGinn or Downie could be traded if another team insisted, but it's doubtful IMO.

Stastny - UFA in two years. Could be traded if they need to make a change
ROB - UFA next off season. Could be traded if they need to make a change
Wilson - Just signed a three year deal as an RFA. Could possibly get traded if a team asks for him

McGinn - Just brought in, comes cheap, and provides just what the Avs needed
Downie - Same as above
Jones - Just re-signed for four years. Not going anywhere for at least two
Lando - Not a chance
O'Reilly - Highly unlikely
Duchene - Highly unlikely
PAP - Just signed for four years as a UFA. Going nowhere for at least 2-3 years.
Hejduk - Retiring an Av
EJ - Highly unlikely
Zanon - Just signed as a UFA. Staying until at least the 2013-14 trade deadline
Hejda - Only a year into his four year deal, and contract won't be that appealing. Unlikely to be traded for another year
SOB - Just signed a 3 year deal instead of becoming UFA. Staying for at least two.
Hunwick - Just signed a 2 year deal instead of becoming UFA. Staying until at least 2013-14 deadline.
Varly - Staying for at least the remaining two years on his deal
Giguere - Just added a year to his deal. Likely retiring an Av in a couple years

The rest are either 4th liners or prospects. The 4th liners won't add much value in a trade, and neither they or the prospects will open up a spot for someone coming the Avs way to make an impact.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Bonzai12

nice post Foppa

Strange, but for being so young the Avs have some bold commitments to some guys already. We're getting to the point where roster spots aren't just available any more on this team. To get some guys we have to move some guys that have at least marginal talent.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:14 PM
PeterForsberg

God please keep him.

PeterForsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 50
I'd like to keep him since he's been great for our PK, but I think he's a goner.

We've got Hunwick, Johnson, Zanon, Hejda, O'Brien, and Wilson already signed for the next two years (most of them 3). That makes a full 6 d-men already even before O'Byrne or any of our prospects who will hopefully be competing for spots within the next 2 years.

If O'Byrne survives the trade deadline, I can't see how he re-signs here. I'd much rather have him than Hunwick or O'Brien, but I think the front office feels otherwise.

Zih is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:17 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
I'd like to keep him since he's been great for our PK, but I think he's a goner.

We've got Hunwick, Johnson, Zanon, Hejda, O'Brien, and Wilson already signed for the next two years (most of them 3). That makes a full 6 d-men already even before O'Byrne or any of our prospects who will hopefully be competing for spots within the next 2 years.

If O'Byrne survives the trade deadline, I can't see how he re-signs here. I'd much rather have him than Hunwick or O'Brien, but I think the front office feels otherwise.
People are looking too much into contract signings. Sure a lot of them just signed, but they also realize that hockey is business and if the right trade comes about or they start sucking, they'll be shipped out. We resigned these guys to create competition as a short term stop gap. If they see O'Bryne is our future shut-down pairing, they'll keep him.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:50 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Really hope the Avs keep ROB, he has really developed his game since coming here and is one of the less appreciated defensive defensemen in the league.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

ROB > SOB. If we kept in the inferior one, shouldn't we keep the superior one, too?

Stories is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

I think we'll trade him part of a package for a better player.
He is a good bottom-pair capable of #4 minutes if needed, so I think he should be kept over Hunwick at least.
I think we have to see SOB next season and see if he smartens up enough to not be a too big of a liability and then make a judgement between the two. Although I feel it's more like SOB vs. Wilson vs. Hejda, not SOB vs. O'Byrne.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Bonzai12

I think this is the year Sherminator ships out some 1 or 2 d-men despite all these signings this offseason.