HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2012, 11:29 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Get him whatever fits him the best. If he isn't a big kid putting a lot of strain on the boot or if he's not a very good skater, then pricepoint models shouldn't be too stiff to be a concern. You can always move down a level if you think a particular skate fits well, but is too stiff. I would avoid buying online. Visiting and being fitted for a pair of skates is a must if possible.

Also note that while he fit into CCMs before, it's always good to start afresh, as a kid's feet could grow disproportionately in depth/widths etc.

Old
08-05-2012, 07:30 PM
hockeydadpa
Rookie User

Thanks. Yes we tried on a few and went from Nexus to Reebok and ended up back at CCM. Although his heart was set on the Nexus', because they 'looked cool' ha, he soon realized as we moved down the line and skates got a little wider that he was more comfortable. So since he couldn't try on a Flexlite I was just wondering how their width/instep compared to CCMs. Is it worth going from CCM 06 to 08 form the customizable foam? He is on the ice 3-4x a week.

Thanks again!

Old
08-05-2012, 11:32 PM
AIREAYE

Worth it? Well I suppose that's up to you and your valuations based on your own (and his own) unique situation. I can't really tell you if it's worth it. It is a nice jump, but then again, so is the jump from the 08 to the 10. Playing that often per week would put my recommendation to at least the U+08, but again, it's your decision.

Can't comment on Flexlite more than I already have in the guide, sorry.

Old
08-06-2012, 09:19 AM
AussieFlyersFan

I am currently in the Bauer Vapor EE width and was looking at the reeboks. Should i stay with the EE width in reebok as well or go for the D? As it states at the start of this thread that the reeboks toe cap runs wider. I would go to my LHS to try them on but they don't stock Reebok's

Old
08-07-2012, 01:46 PM
CanFan05

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help provided when I was looking to buy new skates. I tried a lot of skates on with different width, and a lot of them made me unconfortable around the inner side of my big toe.

I tried Reebok 16K, WhiteK, 8K, Easton S12, CCM U12, U08, Bauer One.6 and One.7.

I used to wear Bauer X40's 8D and that size was measured by a big LHS near my house.

But after trying them all on, one that was the best for me was the Bauer One.6.

Wow they felt a little snug around my ankle and tendon but nothing a good break in could not fix. I also found my big toe wasn't in the same position around the toe cap which is night and day comfort wise.

I bought a pair of Proformance footbed to make it even more confortable and they were half priced compared to the superfeet yellow.

So, really happy about my purchase (got them for 200$)

Only thing is that the guy from that LHS told me that Bauer One.6 shouldn't be baked because the glue and material would become used up quickly and he told me to break them in naturally instead.

What do you guys think? Should I still ask them to bake the skates or should I follow his advice?

Thanks again!

Old
08-07-2012, 02:00 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanFan05 View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help provided when I was looking to buy new skates. I tried a lot of skates on with different width, and a lot of them made me unconfortable around the inner side of my big toe.

I tried Reebok 16K, WhiteK, 8K, Easton S12, CCM U12, U08, Bauer One.6 and One.7.

I used to wear Bauer X40's 8D and that size was measured by a big LHS near my house.

But after trying them all on, one that was the best for me was the Bauer One.6.

Wow they felt a little snug around my ankle and tendon but nothing a good break in could not fix. I also found my big toe wasn't in the same position around the toe cap which is night and day comfort wise.

I bought a pair of Proformance footbed to make it even more confortable and they were half priced compared to the superfeet yellow.

So, really happy about my purchase (got them for 200$)

Only thing is that the guy from that LHS told me that Bauer One.6 shouldn't be baked because the glue and material would become used up quickly and he told me to break them in naturally instead.

What do you guys think? Should I still ask them to bake the skates or should I follow his advice?

Thanks again!
I baked a pair of One60s (Previous model) and had no problems. As long as the guy doesn't leave it in the oven too long. It's hard to gauge yours, but from what I have experienced, most LHS employees are generally under-educated and opinionated with false info.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:58 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieFlyersFan View Post
I am currently in the Bauer Vapor EE width and was looking at the reeboks. Should i stay with the EE width in reebok as well or go for the D? As it states at the start of this thread that the reeboks toe cap runs wider. I would go to my LHS to try them on but they don't stock Reebok's
Vapor and Reebok are very very different in fit. Only thing to say is to try them on yourself, sorry!

You can bake One60s, though it won't make too much of a difference.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:47 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Vapor and Reebok are very very different in fit. Only thing to say is to try them on yourself, sorry!

You can bake One60s, though it won't make too much of a difference.
Thanks!

I think i'll break them in by playing in them. I also heard that you could use a blowdryer and blow inside the skate for a couple of minutes and then put them on to help a bit.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:23 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanFan05 View Post
Thanks!

I think i'll break them in by playing in them. I also heard that you could use a blowdryer and blow inside the skate for a couple of minutes and then put them on to help a bit.
I find that's mostly for spot treatment in the ankles or heel.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:05 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
I find that's mostly for spot treatment in the ankles or heel.
Yeah pretty much. Definitely attempt at your own risk.

Old
08-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Habs

Awesome thread. I'm looking for a solution for my 7yr old, who has wide feet and ankle bones, like myself. I'm an Easton fan, I have to buy the Synergy because of my feet, but I haven't seen a pair of youth skates that can be molded for little guys.

Any advice on a wide fitting skate, that can be molded for a little guy with wide feet and ankle bones? Thanks!

Old
08-14-2012, 12:11 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Awesome thread. I'm looking for a solution for my 7yr old, who has wide feet and ankle bones, like myself. I'm an Easton fan, I have to buy the Synergy because of my feet, but I haven't seen a pair of youth skates that can be molded for little guys.

Any advice on a wide fitting skate, that can be molded for a little guy with wide feet and ankle bones? Thanks!
You can mould youth skates all you want, it won't make much of a difference.

Old
08-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

It is so hard to find a pair of Easton S17 7.5 EE's.

Old
08-16-2012, 10:31 PM
AIREAYE

Tell me about it, I'm strongly considering S17s as my next pair to replace my S15s, wish there was an 8.5W (W not EE) Black...those things looked amazing.

Just a reminder, with the new EQ50 line and RS lines, Easton has done away with the 'R' and 'W' designations. Like Bauer, it's now 'D' and 'EE'.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:06 AM
jazz4all

eq40 fit

hi! i have low arch on both feet, but my right arch is flatter. Currently using one75 (7.5EE) for ice and alkali (7.5) for inline. My problems are:

1. alkali CA7 which is supposed to be med-high volume, in fact is low-med volume and more suitable for people with D width i believe (not also for EE width like advertised) .

After baked twice, its still hurts on the side of my feet even though im not laced it tight. And the biggest problem, its too soft even for mid-high end skates (as soft as 4k rbk). So im thinking of converting ice boots to inline.

2. i'm looking for a skates with a flatter arch but still have similar width and volume like supreme. Due to my tight budget, im interested with EQ40 and rbk line, but don't have any idea about its fit (no LHS here).

So, will EQ40 or Rbk fit me well (wide mid-forefoot, narrow heel, low arches)?

Last edited by jazz4all: 08-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old
08-17-2012, 06:02 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4all View Post
hi! i have low arch on both feet, but my right arch is flatter. Currently using one75 (7.5EE) for ice and alkali (7.5) for inline. My problems are:

1. alkali CA7 which is supposed to be med-high volume, in fact is low-med volume and more suitable for people with D width i believe (not also for EE width like advertised) .

After baked twice, its still hurts on the side of my feet even though im not laced it tight. And the biggest problem, its too soft even for mid-high end skates (as soft as 4k rbk). So im thinking of converting ice boots to inline.

2. i'm looking for a skates with a flatter arch but still have similar width and volume like supreme. Due to my tight budget, im interested with EQ40 and rbk line, but don't have any idea about its fit (no LHS here).

So, will EQ40 or Rbk fit me well (wide mid-forefoot, narrow heel, low arches)?
You tell me, they're about as far apart as you can get.

No skates have arches specifically built in, it might come as a result of the fit, but it's not a specific characteristic as width or depth.

Old
08-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

AIREAYE, what would the Bauer Supreme One Matrix be comparable to? Is it close to the One.9? Or between the One.7 and One.9?

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/bauer-s...or-skates.html

Old
08-17-2012, 06:58 PM
AIREAYE

The description has it based on the One.7 with some One.8 features and a One.9 tongue. I like the better outsole on it and the better steel. Not a bad deal, as with most SFS SMUs.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Ah OK, thanks.

Old
08-18-2012, 02:34 AM
jazz4all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You tell me, they're about as far apart as you can get.

No skates have arches specifically built in, it might come as a result of the fit, but it's not a specific characteristic as width or depth.
how about the volume and width on EQ40 compared to supreme line? about the arch, maybe i'll put superfeet.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:18 AM
AIREAYE

Supreme is deeper and the heel is a bit wider I think. The overall Supreme boot feels uniformly wider whereas the Synergy boot has the narrow ankle and flares out to a wider forefoot.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Gomer

AIREAYE

I read the first and last page of this thread and I thought I'd jump right in and seek your advice.

So after about 18 months of hard skating 1-3 times a week I thrashed a pair of Easton S12s. I had been warned about their durability but bought them anyway. Though they worked well intially, the poor quality quickly started to show.

The first thing I notice was that the rivets started to rust even though I was pulling the insoles and putting them in front of a fan after every skate. In went downhill from there. A lot of the stitching around the tenon guard started to let go. Then the upper on the outside of each side of the boot separated from the quarter package. This made it difficult to snug the boot down because the side of the boot would lay over instead of pulilng the side of the boot tighter. Then I had a rivet let go (which I had fixed, but have 1 or 2 more that are loose now). Finally the boots started to fail where the upper met the toecap; one or two eyelets up from the bottom pull way in to the middle.

So I embarked on a journey for new skates. Prior to the Eastons I had a starter pair of Missions. After trying on Bauer, Reebok, and Easton, I chose the S12s because they locked my narrow heels in well. Paying $300+ I thought I'd get more than 18 months out of them. Though I skate hard and aggresively, I don't break 145 lbs.

I'm on the market again. The S12s are 7.5D (I wear an 8.5-9 shoe). I had my heart set on Vapor X5.0s but after wearing a 6.5D around the house for an hour, I don't think it is meant to be. I haven't had them baked yet, but they were killing the outside of my foot from the forefoot, to especially the tip of my pinky toe. The right foot was worst, but the left wasn't much better. There was also some pressure at the side of the base of my big toe. It wasn't horrible pain, but based on how red my foot was just walking and sitting for an hour, I smell trouble.

As I bound my Eastons down the other night I started to wonder if maybe my heel problems are more related to having a deep instep. If the skate doesn't properly comform to that part of my foot maybe that's why I can pull my heel up. I can definitely feel it when I straighten my foot with no weight on it.

So here are my thoughts:
1. I really want(ed) the Vapors to work. They look solid, heels felt good, etc. (sold on the marketing as well, it's the only skate I know about). How much more comfortable will these get baked/broken in?. I think some punching might help, but the problem with the pinky is in the toecap. Can the toecap be punched?

2. My feet are odd maybe. Narrow heals, high instep, and a normal width (I guess) forefoot. They're not big at all, but my high arches call for a little more volume I think (which might cause the problem with my heels). The S12s felt like I could have used a litte more room over my instep. What other skates should I be looking at? What's comparable to the X5.0s (durability/feature/vaule wise)? I play center, and skate more with fast legs than I do powerful efficient strides.

I moved from Michigan (LHS heaven) to DC. Which is well, DC. I don't have a bottomless budget though I could probably push 4 bills before my wife gets antsy. I certainly don't want to burn $300 again.

I've heard the Supremes might fit better. The ONE.8 are going for $380 online right now; ONE.7 $280. I'd be buying locally though and I'm not sure how big of a hit I'd take on the markup.

I'll PM you some foot pics and pics of the S12s showing where they broke down.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Old
08-22-2012, 12:45 PM
AIREAYE

Saw the pictures and agree that you seem to have that wider forefoot, deep instep and narrow ankles that you mentioned. I appreciate the situational breakdown too!

Don't worry about the regional markups, the opportunity to get them baked/fitted/sharpened will outweigh any small markups. If you factor in the uncertainty of online purchasing, wait time and necessity for a bake/sharpen, it will almost always be worth it to buy locally.

Did you try the Vapors in a EE width?

Old
08-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Gomer

I haven't tried the EE but I was wondering if that would do the trick. Hopefully the local store carries them. I will check when I take the 6.5D X5.0 back to them.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Went to a Source for Sports shop today.

They have a pair of One100s for sale. I normally wear a size 8, but they happened to have a pair of 7.5. Tried it on anyway, and it felt surprisingly comfortable. It's a tad smaller than my size 8 Supremes, but it's not like my toes are pushing right up against it. The staff tells me ideally you go for a slightly smaller fit, as my feet was measured right at 8.

I haven't bought it, but they're holding that pair for me. Might go give it another whirl when I have time.

Closed Thread