HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Emelin plays for National team

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2006, 09:45 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Emelin plays for National team

Alexi Emelin played his first game for the Senior National team for the Euro Cup games. Russia beat Finland 3-1 in the 1st game of the final EC tour. He's on the 4th pairing and also on the team is another Habs pick from '98 Andrei Kruchinin who at times this season was paired up with Emelin with Lada.

This should also help Emelin secure a spot on the WC team which starts May 5th.

Old
04-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Beakermania*

Great news...

We need some more of that on a day like today.

Old
04-27-2006, 10:03 AM
habsfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Alexi Emelin played his first game for the Senior National team for the Euro Cup games. Russia beat Finland 3-1 in the 1st game of the final EC tour. He's on the 4th pairing and also on the team is another Habs pick from '98 Andrei Kruchinin who at times this season was paired up with Emelin with Lada.

This should also help Emelin secure a spot on the WC team which starts May 5th.
Do you think he is going to come over to NA this offseason?

Old
04-27-2006, 12:03 PM
habs1988

I've read somewhere that Timmins wants him out of Russia to play in NA next year (with Hamilton). This guy is the typical d-man we need right now. He is strong, good defensively, could support the attack with a hard shot, hit ala Kasparaitis. Except Komi, there is no other d-man having the potential to scare the other team.

Old
04-27-2006, 02:44 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_s_
Do you think he is going to come over to NA this offseason?

Don't know but I hope so. I've heard he wants to come over as soon as possible and I got to think the Habs want him to come over, makes sense. But the lack of a deal between the NHL-RHF-IIHF could be a problem. I've read where a deal could be in place this summer or close to it, so it would be better most likely to deal with the IIHF then Lada if a deal was in place.

I don't know what the Caps just had to pay for Semin, but it's my understand he left Lada after the team hit a financial crissis, before that Lada and the Caps couldn't agree on financial terms in regards to Semin from what I understand. But with their more recent money problems, perhaps they will be inclined to release Emelin (if he's even under contract, haven't seen it yet that says he is) if Gainey offers the right amount of money for the transfer fees. Kostitsyn at 350K seems like a fair price for CSKA to receive since he had done next to nothing at the RSL level, but the future impact CSKA is still unknown since it's hard to say what will come of Kostitsyn.

The transfer fee used to be based off draft status, so a high pick like Kositsyn would cost more. I forget what we paid for Perezhogin, but it was surely less then the 350K for Kosty. I want to say 1st round picks got 200 or 250K but I'd have to look it up. The question is if Emelin is still under contract then at what price will Lada charge to release him. If there's no deal between the NHL and RHF, then Gainey will have to work with Lada to get him over here and I got to think they wouldn't be happy about losing him. He's young likely very cheap and a big up and comer in the organization going from hardly playing last year to being in their top 4 defense and leading the team in scoring for defensemen and in pims as well.

So the question I think will be more will the NHL and Russia get a deal done, what will Gainey have to pay to get him, if it's too much would Gainey leave him in Russia for another year since he doesn't have to be signed for another 2 years (per new cba rules) and next year there should be a deal in place.

With the lack of D prospects in the system, its safe to say we really need to bring Emelin over this summer, hope Gainey can make it happen. I've heard different stories on O'Byrne and all just small rumors between Cornell fans, but some think he will leave school but at this point it's all hearsay. Personally I don't have a clue but it would be freaking great to see both these guys in Hamilton next year with a full year for Chipchura as well and hopefully others like Grabovsky, Aubin and D'Agostini.

Old
04-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Is there any possibility that Emelin would be able to crack the Habs' roster next year? One of my friends said that he thinks it'll be possible... providing he comes to North America, obviously.

Old
04-27-2006, 03:12 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45
Is there any possibility that Emelin would be able to crack the Habs' roster next year? One of my friends said that he thinks it'll be possible... providing he comes to North America, obviously.
As a 6th Dman why not? But hed have to outplay Bouillon and Streit on trainning camp.

Old
04-27-2006, 03:39 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45
It's not impossible but the Habs have shown they don't rush their prospects, so unless he has a great camp, I got to think he will go to Hamilton and see what happens from there. He's played against men all year and shown he can handle the physcial aspect but can he handle the defensive part of it since he would be playing on a smaller ice surface so his reaction time will have to adjust quickly.

At this point I just want to see him signed, after that we'll see what he can do.

Old
04-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
It's not impossible but the Habs have shown they don't rush their prospects, so unless he has a great camp, I got to think he will go to Hamilton and see what happens from there. He's played against men all year and shown he can handle the physcial aspect but can he handle the defensive part of it since he would be playing on a smaller ice surface so his reaction time will have to adjust quickly.

At this point I just want to see him signed, after that we'll see what he can do.
You're right...and we can take Latendresse as an exemple. He was great against men, but the Habs didn't rush him. It's probably a good thing.

Emelin might be really good at this point, but there's no reason to bring him in the NHL as soon as next year.

Old
04-27-2006, 05:22 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
You're right...and we can take Latendresse as an exemple. He was great against men, but the Habs didn't rush him. It's probably a good thing.

Emelin might be really good at this point, but there's no reason to bring him in the NHL as soon as next year.
If hes ready why not? With this train of thought a guy like Mezsaros wouldnt have made the Sens this year.

Old
04-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
If hes ready why not? With this train of thought a guy like Mezsaros wouldnt have made the Sens this year.
Well even if he's ready, I don't think he would be better then Bouillon...

And anyways, I prefer to see him as our #1 D in Hamilton...way more ice time. If he's ready, he will be the guy to recall in case of an injury...

Old
04-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

he's going to be a good one for us.

Old
04-27-2006, 07:36 PM
HappyFan

THe more years he can be exposed to Kovalev the better!

Closed Thread