HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ty Rattie to the Flames

Old
08-13-2012, 08:23 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
I already said Columbus.

Edmonton: They have 4 superstar players right now in Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, and Hall. They just signed Schultz and have good depth players. They may have been bad lately but they're going to be a very good team soon.

Anaheim: They may have missed the playoffs but they still have some very good players. Their first line is among the best in the league (they're apparently trading Ryan but they will get a bunch back for him to make up for it) They also have some very good young players that are coming up in Etem, Smith-Pelley, Fowler, and Sbisa.

Dallas: They don't have much but I would still put them better than Calgary. They still certainly have some star power; Jamie Benn, Louis Eriksson, Brendan Morrow. They picked up Derek Roy this year, and Ryder can put up some goals.

Montreal:They have an all star goalie, some good defenseman coming up. PK Subban is a star player, Josh Gorges is a good player. Jared Tinordi will be very good as well, also their draft pick this year, Galchenyuk.

NYI: They have John Tavares and they're building around him. Their future is no doubt better than Calgarys right now.

Toronto; They have Kessel, Gardiner, JVR, Lupul, and Reimer. I don't like the Leafs but they do have some quality players. Their quality is better than Calgarys quality IMO. (Notice how I'm not adding players like Grabovski and Phaneuf who are equal to someone like Glencross. I didn't even add Kadri who is much better than someone like Brodie for their prospects)

Winnipeg: Evander Kane is what Iginla used to be and if Iginla was young like Evander Kane is than they would be in a much better position. They also have Burmistrov, Ladd and Blake Wheeler (who played one of the best games against the Blues I have ever seen, seriously dominated that game)

Tampa Bay: They have the purest goal scorer in the league right now, and if I'm going to include Iginla and Kipprusof for Calgary than I'm going to include St. Louis and Vinny for Tampa Bay. They were one goal away from making the Stanley Cup Finals only 2 years ago. I think they're definitely in better shape than Calgary going forward.
Let me guess: You're one of those who say that Jankowski will never play a game, even though you've never seen him play.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Yeah, as a Blues fan, I'm embarrassed by the kiddies who have been coming into the thread and posting about how lousy Calgary's prospect pool is. The Flames have got a decent stable of prospects at every position. The highlighted ones especially, and of course Sven Bärtschi and TJ Brodie, I would take for the Blues' prospect pool in a heartbeat.

Gaudreau has big-league skills, but he's just so dang small...

Glencross is a solid player, and would be a welcome addition to the Blues' third line, and to the second line of most other teams.

That said, I'm not impressed by Bouwmeester, and would not want to pay what the Flames' fanbase thinks he's worth. Would much rather try to swing a deal for Giordano, but that seems to be a non-starter with the Flames' fans, which is understandable.

I'd like to see if there's a deal that could be made for St. Louis home boy Chris Butler and Mikael Backlund. I don't want to say that Rattie is off the table in such a deal, but I'd be very hesitant to give him up...

Prussian - as usual, a solid post from an always solid, veteran poster.

To be honest, I think Butler and Backlund would be a great starting point for some sort of trade between these two teams. Let's say Calgary holds onto Bouwmeester - that makes another defenseman more available, simply by mubers alone. Butler, despite being Feaster's prize acquisition in the Regehr trade, makes sense. Bouw / Wideman / Gio could be the top three, with TJ Brodie and Derek Smith rotating into that fourth position. That leaves the other one playing #5 with Cory Sarich as #6. Babchuk gets the bench at #7.

Given Calgary's depth at centre (albeit no top end depth), I can see Backlund being the odd man out. Cammy will be given every chance to play the #1 centre position, a role he didn't do too badly alongside Tanguay and Iginla in the last part of the previous season. Cervenka was guaranteed a top-six spot by Feaster, so I don't see him getting bumped from that position anytime soon. Stajan can play the #3 spot, and Blair Jones can play the #4 spot where he belongs. Knocking on the door is Paul Byron, Max Reinhart, Ben Street and Krys Kolanos (Feaster has suggested that Reinhart may even be with the team permanently by the 2nd half of the year). It's not terribly impressive, but it's doable if Backlund is moved. This would, of course, be conditional on how much Hartley / Feaster think Stajan can rebound if Cervenka fails.

Calgary would, as there would be no surprise here, be looking at Ty Rattie. I'm sure the other player of Calgary's interest would be Ian Cole to shore up the back end.

The problem with giving up Backlund is that he's got NHL experience, he's still young, and he's on the verge of breaking out in a big way. Feaster's got high hopes for him. A 1st rounder in 2007, he's taking the long route to being an impact player, but it's coming. 2012 is a big year for this kid. Butler, well, he's already a young, reliable top-four defenseman, with NHL experience, on a great contract. He was Bouwmeester's partner for a great chunk of the year; he's ideally a number 4, number 3 at the absolute best.

Rattie's a great prospect with chemistry with Bartschi, and Cole is that tough, stay-at-home defender we need to eventually replace Sarich. I think Sarich would be a great mentor for that kid.

Is Backlund / Butler for Rattie / Cole something for the basis of a deal?

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:44 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Let me guess: You're one of those who say that Jankowski will never play a game, even though you've never seen him play.

I'm not, actually. When I was reading the Blues board predraft, a few of them were talking about Jankowski and talking about how they wouldn't mind if St. Louis drafted him.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
I'm not, actually. When I was reading the Blues board predraft, a few of them were talking about Jankowski and talking about how they wouldn't mind if St. Louis drafted him.
Then how do you mention guys like Tinordi for Montreal, but when it's the Flames, they only have Bartschi and Brodie? You didn't even mention the guy.

I'm not gonna say outright that he's a better prospect than Rattie, because he has to prove that this year, but if you put the two of them out for a free skate and judged their physical skill set (skating, stickhandling, vision), you'd leave saying that Janks is twice as good as Rattie. Of course it all comes down to how it's put together, but my point is that he has an unreal skill set and it makes people look silly when they say Bartschi is the only Flames player with high end potential.

Old
08-13-2012, 08:52 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Then how do you mention guys like Tinordi for Montreal, but when it's the Flames, they only have Bartschi and Brodie? You didn't even mention the guy.

I'm not gonna say outright that he's a better prospect than Rattie, because he has to prove that this year, but if you put the two of them out for a free skate and judged their physical skill set (skating, stickhandling, vision), you'd leave saying that Janks is twice as good as Rattie. Of course it all comes down to how it's put together, but my point is that he has an unreal skill set and it makes people look silly when they say Bartschi is the only Flames player with high end potential.
I mention Tinordi for the Habs because I'm from London.

Rattie proved this year he could score in the CHL, lets see how Jankowski does against quality competition first.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Andrei

Quote:
I already said Columbus.

Edmonton: They have 4 superstar players right now in Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, and Hall. They just signed Schultz and have good depth players. They may have been bad lately but they're going to be a very good team soon.
Perhaps you can explain how a team with four superstar players and "good depth players" finished 26 points behind a pathetic roster like Calgary's, and in the bottom two of the entire league for the third season in a row? Clearly they are missing something, no? And even if they improve (and they likely will), are they going to improve 26 points in the standings? And even if they do, and the Flames remain stagnant, that will only bring the Oilers up to the level of the "pathetic" Flames.

Quote:
Anaheim: They may have missed the playoffs but they still have some very good players. Their first line is among the best in the league (they're apparently trading Ryan but they will get a bunch back for him to make up for it) They also have some very good young players that are coming up in Etem, Smith-Pelley, Fowler, and Sbisa.
Yes, but even with one of the best first lines in the league, and their very good young players, they still finished ten points behind the Flames last season. What have they done to pull themselves up from sub-pathetic so that they can join the Flames as just pathetic?

Quote:
Dallas: They don't have much but I would still put them better than Calgary. They still certainly have some star power; Jamie Benn, Louis Eriksson, Brendan Morrow. They picked up Derek Roy this year, and Ryder can put up some goals.
Eleven goal, 15 assist Brendan Morrow is star power but 26 goal, 22 assist Curtis Glencross is average and a dime a dozen? Also, Loui Eriksson, who I love, outscored a washed up Jarome Iginla by four points (and scored six less goals.) To me, these rosters are very comparable, talent-wise, and I'm not at all surprised that they finished last season within one point of each other.

Quote:
Montreal:They have an all star goalie, some good defenseman coming up. PK Subban is a star player, Josh Gorges is a good player. Jared Tinordi will be very good as well, also their draft pick this year, Galchenyuk.
So they have a handful of good players, a handful of average players, and then some plugs? How is that any different than the Flames' roster, except that the Habs' collection of good players, average players, and plugs, finished last season with 12 less points than the Flames' collection.

Quote:
NYI: They have John Tavares and they're building around him. Their future is no doubt better than Calgarys right now.
How do you have so little doubt about the future? Again, finished 11 points behind the pathetic Calgary Flames.

Quote:
Toronto; They have Kessel, Gardiner, JVR, Lupul, and Reimer. I don't like the Leafs but they do have some quality players. Their quality is better than Calgarys quality IMO. (Notice how I'm not adding players like Grabovski and Phaneuf who are equal to someone like Glencross. I didn't even add Kadri who is much better than someone like Brodie for their prospects)
How is a 21 year old Kadri, who managed to crack the Leafs' roster for all of 21 games last season, a "much better" prospect than 22 year old Brodie, who played 54 games as a defenceman for the Flames (and, as an aside, scored twice as many points)? And what makes the Leafs' handful of good players so much better than the Flames' handful of good players? And if they are so much better, why did they finish ten points behind the pathetic Flames last season?

Quote:
Winnipeg: Evander Kane is what Iginla used to be and if Iginla was young like Evander Kane is than they would be in a much better position. They also have Burmistrov, Ladd and Blake Wheeler (who played one of the best games against the Blues I have ever seen, seriously dominated that game)
Evander Kane is what Iginla used to be? Evander Kane, who in his best season ever (last season), was outscored by ten points by a washed up Jarome Iginla. I presume you mean that Evander Kane is what Iginla was in the first few years of his career, a young player struggling to establish himself as a star in the NHL. You can't possibly mean that Evander Kane has already established himself as a player even remotely close to Jarome Iginla of 2011-12, let alone Jarome Iginla of 2010-11, let alone Jarome Iginla of his Rocket Richard-winning prime.

Quote:
Tampa Bay: They have the purest goal scorer in the league right now, and if I'm going to include Iginla and Kipprusof for Calgary than I'm going to include St. Louis and Vinny for Tampa Bay. They were one goal away from making the Stanley Cup Finals only 2 years ago. I think they're definitely in better shape than Calgary going forward.
Of course you should include St. Louis and Lecavalier. Why on earth wouldn't you? And you haven't really explained why Tampa Bay, who finished six points behind the Flames last season, are definitely in better shape than Calgary, except for a playoff run two years ago.

Andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:02 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
I mention Tinordi for the Habs because I'm from London.

Rattie proved this year he could score in the CHL, lets see how Jankowski does against quality competition first.
Well to hear him talk, he has a quiet confidence that suggests that he feels he's gonna do pretty good. That's why he skipped the USHL; he feels like he's passed that stage, though not in an arrogant way.

Also by trading down, Calgary also picked up Patrick Sieloff. That's someone you'll be familiar with next year since you follow the OHL. He was called by many as the best open ice hitter in the draft, and to even mentioned alongside Dumba in that regard says a lot, let alone people saying he's a better hitter.

Calgary has lots of guys like that that fly under the radar. Their recent draft history has them trending upwards, and I think that anyone that disagrees just isn't paying enough attention. Management is doing a much better job than HFBoards thinks/wishes.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:23 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
What in his game makes you think this will be the case?
I think this is unfairly said by a lot of Flames fans after what happened with our very similar prospect Howse.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:25 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
Perhaps you can explain how a team with four superstar players and "good depth players" finished 26 points behind a pathetic roster like Calgary's, and in the bottom two of the entire league for the third season in a row? Clearly they are missing something, no? And even if they improve (and they likely will), are they going to improve 26 points in the standings? And even if they do, and the Flames remain stagnant, that will only bring the Oilers up to the level of the "pathetic" Flames.
Yes, Edmonton last year was terrible, but they have the players that are going to make them a very good team soon.

Quote:
Yes, but even with one of the best first lines in the league, and their very good young players, they still finished ten points behind the Flames last season. What have they done to pull themselves up from sub-pathetic so that they can join the Flames as just pathetic?
Anaheims quality players are much younger than Calgarys. If Calgary is missing the playoffs the past couple of years with the roster they have, then they have nowhere to go but down in the future.

Quote:
Eleven goal, 15 assist Brendan Morrow is star power but 26 goal, 22 assist Curtis Glencross is average and a dime a dozen? Also, Loui Eriksson, who I love, outscored a washed up Jarome Iginla by four points (and scored six less goals.) To me, these rosters are very comparable, talent-wise, and I'm not at all surprised that they finished last season within one point of each other.
I never said Iginla was washed up, in fact, I included him in the list of quality players for obvious reasons. Same reason I included Morrow who is also getting older.
Quote:
So they have a handful of good players, a handful of average players, and then some plugs? How is that any different than the Flames' roster, except that the Habs' collection of good players, average players, and plugs, finished last season with 12 less points than the Flames' collection.
Montreal and Dallas were 2 teams that I had a hard time saying were better than Calgary. So okay, I'll give you Columbus and say Montreal and Dallas are comparable.

Quote:
How do you have so little doubt about the future? Again, finished 11 points behind the pathetic Calgary Flames.
I'm assuming this is NYI, and because winners always find a way to win. Tavares is a winner. So what if they finished 11 points behind Calgary last yer, When Calgarys main player is mid 30's and NYI's main player is early 20's, Calgary should be ahead of them in the standings for the time being.
Quote:

How is a 21 year old Kadri, who managed to crack the Leafs' roster for all of 21 games last season, a "much better" prospect than 22 year old Brodie, who played 54 games as a defenceman for the Flames (and, as an aside, scored twice as many points)? And what makes the Leafs' handful of good players so much better than the Flames' handful of good players? And if they are so much better, why did they finish ten points behind the pathetic Flames last season?
Maybe they weren't so much better last year but I'm not talking about last year. I'm talking about next year and future years when Iginla, Kipprusoff. Cammallerri, etc, are past their primes and it's at this point (maybe a couple years) where Torontos younger star players like Kessel, Gardiner, Reimer, Kadri will put them past Calgary in the standings. Calgary doesn't have a Kessel type player coming up, they don't have a Gardiner, and they don't have a Reimer.

Quote:
Evander Kane is what Iginla used to be? Evander Kane, who in his best season ever (last season), was outscored by ten points by a washed up Jarome Iginla. I presume you mean that Evander Kane is what Iginla was in the first few years of his career, a young player struggling to establish himself as a star in the NHL. You can't possibly mean that Evander Kane has already established himself as a player even remotely close to Jarome Iginla of 2011-12, let alone Jarome Iginla of 2010-11, let alone Jarome Iginla of his Rocket Richard-winning prime.

Yes, this is what I mean and again, I'm not talking about last year, I'm talking about next year and forward, Kane will be passing Iginla soon.

Quote:
Of course you should include St. Louis and Lecavalier. Why on earth wouldn't you? And you haven't really explained why Tampa Bay, who finished six points behind the Flames last season, are definitely in better shape than Calgary, except for a playoff run two years ago.
[/QUOTE]

They are in better shape because they have the purest goal scorer in the NHL and he's what, 22? What does Calgary have to compare to that? Him alone makes them in better shape going forward. They have Hedman who could potentially be in the running for a couple of norris'. Their offense is better and their defense is better.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:29 PM
nik-

You made an absolute statement and your only counter to an argument that ripped you apart is what might happen. You're conveniently ignoring what did happen.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Andrei

Quote:
Yes, Edmonton last year was terrible, but they have the players that are going to make them a very good team soon.

Anaheims quality players are much younger than Calgarys. If Calgary is missing the playoffs the past couple of years with the roster they have, then they have nowhere to go but down in the future.

I never said Iginla was washed up, in fact, I included him in the list of quality players for obvious reasons. Same reason I included Morrow who is also getting older.

Montreal and Dallas were 2 teams that I had a hard time saying were better than Calgary. So okay, I'll give you Columbus and say Montreal and Dallas are comparable.

I'm assuming this is NYI, and because winners always find a way to win. Tavares is a winner. So what if they finished 11 points behind Calgary last yer, When Calgarys main player is mid 30's and NYI's main player is early 20's, Calgary should be ahead of them in the standings for the time being.

Maybe they weren't so much better last year but I'm not talking about last year. I'm talking about next year and future years when Iginla, Kipprusoff. Cammallerri, etc, are past their primes and it's at this point (maybe a couple years) where Torontos younger star players like Kessel, Gardiner, Reimer, Kadri will put them past Calgary in the standings. Calgary doesn't have a Kessel type player coming up, they don't have a Gardiner, and they don't have a Reimer.

Yes, this is what I mean and again, I'm not talking about last year, I'm talking about next year and forward, Kane will be passing Iginla soon.

They are in better shape because they have the purest goal scorer in the NHL and he's what, 22? What does Calgary have to compare to that? Him alone makes them in better shape going forward. They have Hedman who could potentially be in the running for a couple of norris'. Their offense is better and their defense is better.
So, it seems like I can sum up your position like this: Although the Oilers/Habs/Islanders are bottom four teams right now, they are not pathetic because they will not be a bottom four team in the future, whereas the Calgary Flames, despite not being a bottom four team now, are pathetic because they will be a bottom four team some time in the future.

I don't understand this position (a position that is all too common on this forum.) It doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by Andrei: 08-13-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old
08-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Andrei

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I think this is unfairly said by a lot of Flames fans after what happened with our very similar prospect Howse.
Agreed. I think that Rattie still has a great deal of promise. I would be very interested to see how he looked in a 9 game call up this season, but St. Louis looks too strong to have any room for him this year.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:36 PM
RA9

Quote:

They are in better shape because they have the purest goal scorer in the NHL and he's what, 22? What does Calgary have to compare to that? Him alone makes them in better shape going forward. They have Hedman who could potentially be in the running for a couple of norris'. Their offense is better and their defense is better.[/QUOTE]

Dude..all of your points have been diminished, just stop. You're making a fool of yourself right now.

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:42 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
What in his game makes you think this will be the case?
Rattie reminds me of a junior version of Ryan Smyth. He's not a great skater, managing to get where he needs to be against average junior players, but struggling a bit when the tempo picks up and against better players. Rattie also has pretty ordinary puck skills. He's not someone who carries the puck and beats opponents with regularity. He does make some impressive passes, but not with the regularity to make him a setup man. I don't think his shot is up to the NHL level either. Rattie's not a guy that overpowers goaltenders or picks corners. He's not like Luke Robitaille who got by on his release and ability to beat a goaltender with his shot off the rush and pick corners. He really does remind me of Ryan Smyth, which isn't a bad thing, but he needs to bulk up and continue to find ways to get in the gaps around the net. He's really a play that is going to rely on his line mates to make a NHL career. Again, just my opinion based on what I've seen and the number of players I've seen during my day.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:05 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxFlamesFan View Post
Dude..all of your points have been diminished, just stop. You're making a fool of yourself right now.[/QUOTE]

If any of these teams are behind Calgary in 3 years time, I'll eat it.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:09 PM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Rattie reminds me of a junior version of Ryan Smyth. He's not a great skater, managing to get where he needs to be against average junior players, but struggling a bit when the tempo picks up and against better players. Rattie also has pretty ordinary puck skills. He's not someone who carries the puck and beats opponents with regularity. He does make some impressive passes, but not with the regularity to make him a setup man. I don't think his shot is up to the NHL level either. Rattie's not a guy that overpowers goaltenders or picks corners. He's not like Luke Robitaille who got by on his release and ability to beat a goaltender with his shot off the rush and pick corners. He really does remind me of Ryan Smyth, which isn't a bad thing, but he needs to bulk up and continue to find ways to get in the gaps around the net. He's really a play that is going to rely on his line mates to make a NHL career. Again, just my opinion based on what I've seen and the number of players I've seen during my day.
He actually has a great, accurate wristshot.

I think you are overall a little harsh on him. He has a great wristshot and a tremendous scoring instinct. He knows exactly, where he has to be to score. His puck skills, speed, skating and strength are all fine, but not great.
He reminds me a bit of a less physical Niederreiter with better skating. He won't create chances by himself, but he's a deadly weapon when combined with a great playmaker, as we saw last season when he played with Baertschi.

Overall, I'd say he is Top 6 material if he pans out. The big question mark will be the efficiency of his positioning at NHL level. It needs to be good enoguh, since it's the point where he relies on.

TheNeutrality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Andrei

Quote:
If any of these teams are behind Calgary in 3 years time, I'll eat it.
Fine, even accepting that, why are you preemptively crapping on the Flames? All you are saying is that you think that the Flames will be as crappy as the Oilers/Habs/Islanders are now in three years? If the Flames are at the bottom of the league in three years, call them pathetic all you like. I will join you. But why aren't you crapping on the Oilers/Habs/Islanders right now?

It doesn't make any sense.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Northern Heat

[QUOTE=stlblues9;53538221][QUOTE]

None of those guys really impress me, just average players every team has.

[QUOTE]

Have you ever watched Glencross play???? Geez, wake up.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
So, it seems like I can sum up your position like this: Although the Oilers/Habs/Islanders are bottom four teams right now, they are not pathetic because they will not be a bottom four team in the future, whereas the Calgary Flames, despite not being a bottom four team now, are pathetic because they will be a bottom four team some time in the future.

I don't understand this position (a position that is all too common on this forum.) It doesn't make any sense.
This is the greatest thing I've ever read on these forums.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Sarducci View Post
Baertschi is a proven blue chip prospect. Rattie is a good player with an elite linemate. There is no such thing as a can't mis player. Even Daigle missed. But at this point Baertschi is about as close as you can get to can't miss.

All the love Rattie gets on the Flames boards reminds me of when Jarome Iginla first broke into the NHL. The Flames needed to trade for Hnat Dominichelli because he was Iginlas' linemate in junior so that chemistry has to translate to the NHL.

How many dynamic linemates are there in junior hockey. 1000's. How many of those become dynamic
linemates in the NHL?

Leave Rattie alone, If the Flames want him so bad just wait 5/6 years and pick him up on waivers.
Yea good luck with the waiver's part. How you can say Baertschi is a blue chip prospect and then turn around and say Rattie is good but riding Baertschi is beyond me.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Curious to hear more STL responses on a Butler, Backlund for Cole and Rattie swap? I don't know how I'd feel about it TBH.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:10 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I wouldn't do it. The risk is too much for me.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Grimlore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Curious to hear more STL responses on a Butler, Backlund for Cole and Rattie swap? I don't know how I'd feel about it TBH.
Personally, I don't think its too far apart, value wise. I think both Cole and Rattie have higher ceilings, but Butler and Backlund have real NHL experience. If Backlund only ends up being a decent 3C for his career, the trade is probably fair - as it is a gamble if Rattie pans out or not.

However, even though Backlund could slot into our 3C position next season, I would rather package Cole, Rattie and a pick for a Dman who is a bit more proven.

Grimlore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Andrei

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadanny View Post
Personally, I don't think its too far apart, value wise. I think both Cole and Rattie have higher ceilings, but Butler and Backlund have real NHL experience. If Backlund only ends up being a decent 3C for his career, the trade is probably fair - as it is a gamble if Rattie pans out or not.

However, even though Backlund could slot into our 3C position next season, I would rather package Cole, Rattie and a pick for a Dman who is a bit more proven.
This is exactly how I see it too. Calgary trades bona fide NHL players (who still have some growth potential) for prospects with higher ceilings (Rattie anyway) but more uncertainty, so the value more or less works. And the Blues could use Butler. But I don't really see where Backlund fits for St. Louis.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:05 AM
RA9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I think I'd do it, Cole is a couple years younger but I'd like to see him play a full season. Pretty good value wise imo.

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote