HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XV): The Non-Frenzy Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-13-2012, 06:17 AM
  #401
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,440
vCash: 500
Jiri Kus
‏@KusicHockey
Former Phoenix Coyotes forward Gilbert Brulé has signed one-year deal with ZSC Lions of the NLA (Swiss League).

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:22 AM
  #402
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,767
vCash: 500
The New York Times obtained the agreement between the NHL and Michigan regarding the Winter Classic.

NHL will lose only $100,000 of the $3M if the game isn't played. Michigan received that $100,000 when they signed the contract and keep that. If its cancelled after November 3,the NHL owes Michigan documented out of pocket costs. The $3M payments are in payments. $100,000 for signing the contract. $250,000 is paid on 11/2,$1M on 12/7,$1M on 12/28 and $650,000 on 1/18. The initial agreement was for $2.85M. If Michigan was successful in obtaining a waiver/temporary license to sell beer,they got an extra $150,000. Michigan got the license. If you see in section 4. Its says $500,000 plus $150,000. It refers to section 7 which involves the selling of alcohol. Michigan will return any money received except for the $100,000 received on February 8,2012.

http://www.annarbor.com/2012/02/20/NHL%20AGREEMENT.pdf

Quote:
The union’s initial offer, to be made Tuesday in Toronto, is expected to volunteer no salary cuts and propose broad changes to revenue sharing.

The economic pressure generated by the lucrative Winter Classic could act as a brake against the loss of the entire N.H.L. season. The last time Bettman and the N.H.L. owners locked out the players, in 2004-5, the full season was lost.

This Classic would match the Detroit Red Wings against the Toronto Maple Leafs in Ann Arbor, Mich., before an anticipated capacity crowd, which would break the world record for hockey attendance.

The Winter Classic is the centerpiece of NBC’s coverage of the N.H.L., for which the league receives about $200 million a year. The Leafs, the first Canadian team in the Winter Classic, are Canada’s most popular club. Their presence would ensure huge viewership on CBC, which pays the league $100 million a year for television rights.

The game also produces millions in ticket, sponsorship and advertising revenue for the league.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/13/sp...er=rss&emc=rss

The NHL retains 100% of everything sold at the game. Ticket revenue. Food. All beverages. Merchandise. Advertising. Sponsorships. Even the parking. Only the game day staff can park for free. 800 spots. Its interesting to see the actual agreement with 100% go to NHLE. NHL Enterprises L.P.

CBC has the Leafs involved.


Last edited by RangerBoy: 08-13-2012 at 06:28 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:25 AM
  #403
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz
 
McDonagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,590
vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Jiri Kus
‏@KusicHockey
Former Phoenix Coyotes forward Gilbert Brulé has signed one-year deal with ZSC Lions of the NLA (Swiss League).
I'm surprised he didn't wait around for camp invites. Perhaps he knows a lockout is coming and knows waiting won't matter.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:12 AM
  #404
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,767
vCash: 500
Teams are waiting to see what happens with the CBA. Agents have contacted teams and they are waiting. Some of the fringe NHLers will wait until September 15 before deciding to play in Europe. Mike Motteau is hoping to hook up with a NHL team. He has an offer in Europe but the NHL is his first choice. Teams are telling agents they are saving spots for their young players in the AHL in case of a lockout. The borderline NHL player/good AHL player is getting squeezed. Kreider will be in the AHL IF there's a lockout. Maybe Hagelin joins him. Stepan and McD are NHLers. Young players with little NHL experience played in the AHL during the last lockout. Staal and Bergeron played in the AHL in 04-05 after spending 03-04 in the NHL. Step and Mac have been in the NHL for 2 seasons. 2 full for Step.1 1/2 for Mac. The Blues are allowing Tarasenko to play in the KHL during the lockout. That was part of his agreement with the Blues. They don't know which KHL team Tarasenko with play on.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:50 PM
  #405
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Teams are waiting to see what happens with the CBA. Agents have contacted teams and they are waiting. Some of the fringe NHLers will wait until September 15 before deciding to play in Europe. Mike Motteau is hoping to hook up with a NHL team. He has an offer in Europe but the NHL is his first choice. Teams are telling agents they are saving spots for their young players in the AHL in case of a lockout. The borderline NHL player/good AHL player is getting squeezed. Kreider will be in the AHL IF there's a lockout. Maybe Hagelin joins him. Stepan and McD are NHLers. Young players with little NHL experience played in the AHL during the last lockout. Staal and Bergeron played in the AHL in 04-05 after spending 03-04 in the NHL. Step and Mac have been in the NHL for 2 seasons. 2 full for Step.1 1/2 for Mac. The Blues are allowing Tarasenko to play in the KHL during the lockout. That was part of his agreement with the Blues. They don't know which KHL team Tarasenko with play on.
Guess it couldn't hurt Kreider to be in the AHL for a little.

I'd rather him just keep playing at the NHL level, but it could be a major confidence boost for him.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:26 PM
  #406
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,699
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Mike Rupp tweeted the link to the Larry Brooks article "Bettman Playing Dirty".

EDIT: So did Michael Cammalleri.
Twitter Warz

and we thought Drake/Chris Brown was bad

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:36 PM
  #407
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,366
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/..._negotiations/

Quote:
"Some people interpret a counter proposal to be 'this is within the framework of what the other guy said' -- It just moves some things around," Fehr said after a two-hour bargaining session in Toronto Monday. "This is a different kind of an approach. It's how the players see the world."

Details weren't available, but the broad strokes are clear:

The NHL's hard salary cap, a concession earned by locking out the players for a season in 2004-05?

Gone.

Instead how about an NHL featuring a marketplace that allows rich teams to spend what they want and the best players to earn what they're worth?

Rather than an artificial drag on salaries by way of a hard cap, how about a voluntary tax -- a luxury tax -- on teams that see fit to invest in talent?

How about an NHL where, rather than weaker markets being propped up squeezing down the cost of labour, franchises that have unique advantages share some of their profits with those that don't?

It's 180 degrees from what the owners have come to enjoy and the "status quo but better" deal they're seeking now.
it is an interesting article

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:07 PM
  #408
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
I think it's a great idea. You can say what you want about the MLB but I see the luxury tax as a success there. You haven't had the same teams winning every year. You might have a team like the yankees and rangers lately who have been at the top of the league the last few years but those teams have not "dominated" necessarily. Not to mention the yankees draw so many more fans into the seats for the home team when they are on the road. You look at the MLB this year, a large part of it has been because of the draft, but teams like the Pirates and Nationals have had phenomenal seasons and they are not high spending clubs. There is parody in the league. Bettman has emphasized that for the smaller market teams in the NHL. It didn't happen overnight for washington and pittsburgh in the MLB but those things take time regardless. Columbus has been bad for so many years. Doesn't seem like the salary cap is helping them much. What they really need are better owners, management, scouts, coaching. They'd benefit more from the luxury tax and revenue sharing.

Going to a luxury tax would help the smaller market teams, it would allow players to get what they're worth, and it would help teams keep their young stars/prospects that they are worried about losing due to the salary cap.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:46 PM
  #409
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Guess it couldn't hurt Kreider to be in the AHL for a little.

I'd rather him just keep playing at the NHL level, but it could be a major confidence boost for him.
If there is a lockout, the AHL basically will be NHL level, as a silver lining.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:49 PM
  #410
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If there is a lockout, the AHL basically will be NHL level, as a silver lining.
I personally am of the opinion that the elevated quality of AHL play in 04-05 (not to mention the lack of the 20 y/o CHL rule) is one of the reasons why the 2003 draft produced so well. Obviously it varies case by case.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:56 PM
  #411
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I personally am of the opinion that the elevated quality of AHL play in 04-05 (not to mention the lack of the 20 y/o CHL rule) is one of the reasons why the 2003 draft produced so well. Obviously it varies case by case.
It didn't help a certain someone we drafted in the 1st round that year.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:03 PM
  #412
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,559
vCash: 500
Wrong thread.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:33 AM
  #413
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,196
vCash: 500
Well with Brule gone, maybe Jesse Winchester comes back in the Rangers sights as a depth forward.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:30 AM
  #414
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,196
vCash: 500
Guys, there is a Lockout thread up. Please use that for any lockout or potential CBA Discussions.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:12 AM
  #415
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Well with Brule gone, maybe Jesse Winchester comes back in the Rangers sights as a depth forward.
not sure he adds the offense required to be an upgrade over what we already have as depth...

assuming doan stays in phoenix...i think arnott, despite his age, becomes the top choice of the remaining ufas. assuming that we aren't going to be interested in huselius or kostitsyn

eric fehr might be worth taking a flyer on too

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:16 AM
  #416
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Fehr sounds like a good idea. I like it.

However absolutely not to Arnott, he wouldn't play defense under Hitchcock, he won't get away with that from Torts.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:26 AM
  #417
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,287
vCash: 500
I like Pacioretty's deal a lot. One of the few bright spots in that mess in Montreal. Subban is still unsigned. Both he and MDZ are coming off their ELC. Interesting to see who gets more. Should be Subban, who is easily their No. 1. I think MDZ is slightly below Subban. McDonagh is keeping tabs on both.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:31 AM
  #418
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
I like Pacioretty's deal a lot. One of the few bright spots in that mess in Montreal. Subban is still unsigned. Both he and MDZ are coming off their ELC. Interesting to see who gets more. Should be Subban, who is easily their No. 1. I think MDZ is slightly below Subban. McDonagh is keeping tabs on both.
Habs did get him on a good contract. Makes me despise Duby's contract that much more.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:33 AM
  #419
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,287
vCash: 500
I'd take Winchester over Fehr but both over Arnott. Still, if you can get Arnott for under 1.5 and for one year he's not a bad addition.

Arnott wasn't that bad last season until the playoffs. He was no different than the player he was on the Caps or the Devils 2.0.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:08 AM
  #420
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,767
vCash: 500
Doan is in a holding pattern. Maloney said the whole league is in a holding pattern. Doan is waiting for Jamison to complete the purchase of the Coyotes. Maloney is waiting for Jamison and the CBA to complete their deals so he can re-sign Doan and Smith to extensions. Maloney said the ownership situation is trending in a positive direction. All of the NHL's efforts are focused on the CBA. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...mbo/57115006/1

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:38 AM
  #421
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Doan is in a holding pattern. Maloney said the whole league is in a holding pattern. Doan is waiting for Jamison to complete the purchase of the Coyotes. Maloney is waiting for Jamison and the CBA to complete their deals so he can re-sign Doan and Smith to extensions. Maloney said the ownership situation is trending in a positive direction. All of the NHL's efforts are focused on the CBA. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...mbo/57115006/1
Pretty much what I have been saying for the past week or two. Rangers aren't going to make any more significant moves until after the new CBA is done.

I still think Visnovsky is on their radar, but his arbitration case won't be handled until after the CBA situation.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
  #422
turcotte8
Registered User
 
turcotte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Scott Hannan signs with Nashville for 1 year, $1M that would be 1 year, $760,000 if NHL wish comes true

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:59 AM
  #423
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,767
vCash: 500
Jeremy Roenick said Buffalo made a huge offer. Is Buffalo the 4 years/$30M team?

Quote:
Jeremy Roenick also said that the Buffalo Sabres made a huge offer to Shane Doan, and as of right now he hasn't accepted it.
https://twitter.com/JoshRimerHockey/...46934952103936

JR played with Doan in PHX.

Mr. Penn State didn't spend much money this summer.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:56 AM
  #424
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jeremy Roenick said Buffalo made a huge offer. Is Buffalo the 4 years/$30M team?



https://twitter.com/JoshRimerHockey/...46934952103936

JR played with Doan in PHX.

Mr. Penn State didn't spend much money this summer.
Think he was smart not too. Buffalo seems like they're trying to build a new identity bringing in a guys like Ott, and John Scott (who won't make much of a difference playing ~25 games I suppose).

I think this board underrates the Sabres. They have a solid D, and good depth down the Wing and Miller is a top-10 goalie. Their only weakness really lies down the middle, which of course is a big hole, but if one of their top picks from this year can find a way to contribute as a 2nd or 3rd line center they will be far better off.

I think we'll be seeing the Sabres in the playoffs...if there's a season

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:01 AM
  #425
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Think he was smart not too. Buffalo seems like they're trying to build a new identity bringing in a guys like Ott, and John Scott (who won't make much of a difference playing ~25 games I suppose).

I think this board underrates the Sabres. They have a solid D, and good depth down the Wing and Miller is a top-10 goalie. Their only weakness really lies down the middle, which of course is a big hole, but if one of their top picks from this year can find a way to contribute as a 2nd or 3rd line center they will be far better off.

I think we'll be seeing the Sabres in the playoffs...if there's a season
I agree. Leino looked MUCH better at the end of last season than at the start. Scott will have a bigger effect than many people give him credit for. They have been pushed around for too long asking players like Kaleta and McCormick to fight heavies from time to time. Boston has run them over in the past. They obviously realized that and are trying to address it.

Roy for Ott was a perfect example.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.