HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We get to have a high pick again next June!

Old
08-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
And think of how much character we will show on our way there!

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Dekar

Whatever happens will happen, but I will be cheering for us to win every game like I was last season, even towards the end.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
DAChampion

My prediction in the surgical tanking thread is 11th-15th, so hockey news agrees me by placing us at 13th.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Hugo Sham

habs are back in the playoffs next year. Markov has a great rebound year and MB finds a winger for plekanecs + some of the skill guys will finally grow some balls with prust, moen, white and army in the lineup

it will happen

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:27 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

It doesn't mean much. We were supposed to be 8th last year.

They know nothing.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Darz

Predictions are worthless.

...with that being said, I'm predicting the habs to win the Cup next season. When they do, you can all call me a soothsayer.

08-13-2012, 11:19 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Look at the THN predictions from the past 3 years or 5 years.

On average, I'm sure they do much better than pure guessing.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I think they hit it on the head, if Price plays great we might make the playoffs. If not, it's very unlikely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Play to win the game.
Incredibly short sighted narrow view of how to build a team. That works for players and the coach. The GM should be thinking far beyond this game or the next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
20 years of rebuilding and patchwork. The time to rebuild is now in my opinion. I don't want to lose, but the team we currently have isn't talented or deep enough to win. Yet. A few more pieces will expedite that process.
You mean 20 years of patchwork right? We never really rebuilt. And that's a huge reason why we've been fighting for 8th most of the time.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:55 PM
MarkersMark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Shinkarov is a combiantion of Shinkaruk and Barkov ? Must be a hell of a player!

We don't need any more core pieces, we need additions now.

Let's take a look at the Kings core

Brown, Doughty, Kopitar, Quick

Patches, P.K., Gally, Price

(Now this is if everything goes well with their developement.) + We have Collberg, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Leblanc who are Bluechip prospect.
And we got a good supporting core with Plekanec, Eller, Cole, Markov, Gorges, Emelin and Desharnais.
Collberg, Leblanc, Beaulieu, and Tinordi are not bluechip prospects. That's downright laughable.

And for your Kings comparison, what if Gally becomes their Hickey... and are we trading Patches for Mike Richards? If not, who's our Brayden Schenn that we dangle for a top line forward?

Oh and you forgot PK for Jeff Carter.

Fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
habs are back in the playoffs next year. Markov has a great rebound year and MB finds a winger for plekanecs + some of the skill guys will finally grow some balls with prust, moen, white and army in the lineup

it will happen
In a pipe dream maybe, but all odds indicate to Markov being either injured for most of the season or having lost a step, MB being disciplined and not wasting assets to bolster a bottom-tier roster, and the truculence leading to more team harmony and maybe a few more wins here and there.

MarkersMark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:11 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

We have a defense that is lacking in muscle and is not immune to injury. I wouldn't say the prediction is too far off. Lots of question marks also.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Habs

With the character this team is assembling, we may finish 13th but will go down with balls.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:53 AM
NHLFutureGuy3

Well this thread is starting to feel a lot like

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1237081

I like it!

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:54 AM
nodice
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
We'll have a high pick through lottery since there will be no season
Dose anyone know if that is true? how did they handle drafting following the last lock out? was it a straight up lottery, or was it weighted based on the previous years standings? that would be a silver lining in the event of a cataclysmic work stoppage and a missed season (we can spend the entire year dreaming of Mackinnon)

nodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post
Collberg, Leblanc, Beaulieu, and Tinordi are not bluechip prospects. That's downright laughable.

And for your Kings comparison, what if Gally becomes their Hickey... and are we trading Patches for Mike Richards? If not, who's our Brayden Schenn that we dangle for a top line forward?

Fail.

It's easy to say they're not but why arent they ? For you who is a Blue-Chip prospect ? Only the Huberdeau's?

I mentioned that if everything's goes well in their developpement. We don't need to trade patches for Richards, we have Plekanec, and Furthermore Eller developping in the same kind of player Richards is. Do we really need a Jeff Carter when we have a Cole?

Fail.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post

...with that being said, I'm predicting the habs to win the Cup next season. When they do, you can all call me a soothsayer.
If your prediction is accurate, we'll call you anythng you want us to.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:26 AM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post

Fail.

In a pipe dream maybe, but all odds indicate to Markov being either injured for most of the season or having lost a step, MB being disciplined and not wasting assets to bolster a bottom-tier roster, and the truculence leading to more team harmony and maybe a few more wins here and there.
It was general consensus that Hickey was a reach... a huge reach. Galchenyuk was a consensus top 7 at worst. Most of the 'expert' mock drafters had him going around where he did.

In any case, if Galchenyuk does become a Hickey of sorts... well, there you go. Stuff like that happens.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
I may be wrong, but didn't they predict the Habs to finish near the bottom last year as well, and we all complained and dismissed them as hogwash?

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:33 AM
WestIslander

With the following core:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - XXXXX
Collberg - Desharnais - Gallagher
Leblanc - Eller - Kristo
XXXXX - Bournival - XXXXX
Hudon

Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Ellis - Emelin
Thrower

Price

Drafting a Seth Jones, Sean Monahan or Hunter Shinkaruk (all projected to go in the top five next summer) would really put us ove the top!!!

I hope we make the playoffs, but if we don't, I want to drop as low as possible a la this past season.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:21 AM
CGG

How many times do we need to go through this? The Hockey News takes last year's standings, pencils everyone in the exact same spot, picks one team to "surprise" based on sexy off-season moves (this year = Carolina Hurricanes), picks one team to fall due to UFA losses (this year = New Jersey Devils) then moves everyone else up or down one or two spots and calls it done. No more thought than that.

If you truly believe the following will happen again, then yes, we'll be near the bottom of the conference:

- Coach firings, incompetent replacement triggering language debate and immediate losing streak
- Cammalleri/Bourque combining for a whopping 14 goals
- Gionta only puts up 8 goals while being hurt most of the year
- Markov misses 69 games
- We're forced to paly rookies + Weber a total of 203 games on defense
- We ice a 4th line of Darche-Enqvist-Blunden for quite a while
- Palushaj makes in into 38 games scoring a whole 1 goal

The real answer is this: We weren't a 15th place team last year, despite what the standings tell us. Wretched bad luck, self-created controversy, massive amounts of man games lost, patchwork defense, and we still scored 2 fewer goals than we allowed, once you get rid of shootouts and empty netters. That's a better record than Washington, the "elite" playoff team who THN picked to finish 1st in the conference.

Montreal will be far better next season than 2011-12. Deal with it.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:45 AM
HCH

Some of our best players haven't been top picks.

Many of our top picks haven't been our best players.

Why do so many want us to finish low.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I still want the Habs in the playoffs
Want the Cup to come back home

However if we aren't good enough to compete, of course we want the best pick possible for this team's future

We have 4 picks in the top 60 next year, it should be another solid draft regardless of where we finish

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Some of our best players haven't been top picks.

Many of our top picks haven't been our best players.

Why do so many want us to finish low.
Yep.
Strange fixation exclusive to HFboards. As someone else said, you play to win the game. There is no alternative. You need to build and forge a winning culture. You can get used to losing, and you can get used to winning. You want your young players to be developing in a winning environment.

Personally I think the Habs will make the playoffs this year, but they're going to have to stay healthy especially on D.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:01 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yep.
Strange fixation exclusive to HFboards. As someone else said, you play to win the game. There is no alternative. You need to build and forge a winning culture. You can get used to losing, and you can get used to winning. You want your young players to be developing in a winning environment.

Personally I think the Habs will make the playoffs this year, but they're going to have to stay healthy especially on D.
Listen, no one has ever proposed that the players should give 25% effort and score in their own net. We aren't suggesting the institutionalization of losing. The ''tank'' crowd is all for playing to win, but we realize that this is merely a motto, and the opposition is saying the same thing. So when we will face the Rangers, the Pens, the Flyers, the Bruins, the Sens and others, we will play to win, they will play to win, and in the end, they will probably win. And that is fine.

We can live with the losses. We are all still alive after last season, so according to my calculations, we should be able to repeat this feat. What we CAN'T live with is a GM that panics and overreacts to a losing a streak. We DON'T want a GM who will trade our 2013 2nd picks for the Campolis and Dominic Moores of this world. We don't want to trade prospects and picks for short term fixes that don't fix anything.

We are for a ''tank'' in the sense that we don't want management to fix the boat if it starts sinking. Hell, most of us wouldn't mind accelerating the sinking, if it has started, by trading assets that could be valuable to teams who are in their winning window. We are not there.

Our core is signing long term deals. Before signing, they talk to management. I am convinced that there is a plan in place, and that it most likely includes one or two seasons of hibernation.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I may be wrong, but didn't they predict the Habs to finish near the bottom last year as well, and we all complained and dismissed them as hogwash?
Aren't we always on the death throes according to the experts - a premature autopsy, if you will.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodice View Post
Dose anyone know if that is true? how did they handle drafting following the last lock out? was it a straight up lottery, or was it weighted based on the previous years standings? that would be a silver lining in the event of a cataclysmic work stoppage and a missed season (we can spend the entire year dreaming of Mackinnon)
No it was weighted on the previous three years standings. Team started with three balls and lost one for each playoff appearance in the previous three years and one for each first overall pick in the previous four years to a minimum of one ball.

Habs had the minimum one ball last time and would have one ball again if the same formula was used.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote